Grimm Forum
Captain Renard - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Characters (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Characters)
+--- Thread: Captain Renard (/Thread-Captain-Renard)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Captain Renard - Lou - 04-04-2013

As I'm writing this we are 3/4 of the way through the second season and the writers are showing the Captain in a more favorable light. I started thinking maybe I was wrong and this guy isn't so bad. So I went back and re-watched some of Season 1 over again.

I'm going to make a list of all the bad things the Captain has done so far. go ahead and add as many as you can think of.

Sent Addelaide to kill Aunt Marie.
Pulled guards off Aunt Marie in the hospital
Was in collusion with the Wesson who ran the fight club.
Siced Addelaide on Hank - and gave her Hank's blood for her potion.

RE: Captain Renard - pale boy - 04-05-2013

Renard:

Think he sliced off the ear of a Reaper as a message.
"Cured" Juliette in order to keep Nick in Portland -- major self-interest there.

RE: Captain Renard - Charles Mosteller - 05-23-2013

I went back in, and dug up a posting that I made in July of 2012, about the show. I am posting it, here, because it explored some of my early thoughts about Captain Renard. I ended up being way off in my theorizing about him, but part of the fun lies as much in being wrong about plot developments as correct about them.

Anyway, I just thought that I would share those early thoughts with you guys and gals that frequent this forum.

Charles in Juy of 2012 Wrote:After we began subscribing to HuluPlus a few weeks ago, I started watching episodes of the television show, Grimm. A couple of days or so ago, I finished watching the show's last episode of its first season. All things considered, I think that it's a great show.

I think that the show is blessed with both great writers and great actors, particularly supporting actors. There's good chemistry between the main characters with recurring roles. I certainly wouldn't rate all episodes as being of equality quality, but I do rate very highly the quality of the over-arching storyline that spans the show from episode to episode.

For those not familiar with the show, I highly encourage you to watch it. My wife only watched a few minutes of the show's pilot episode, right up to the point where a modern day little red riding hood gets attacked while jogging in the woods. Since then, my wife has been absorbed into The Vampire Diaries that she has watched on Netflix.

It will be interesting to see how Season 2 of Grimm continues the storyline. I don't yet know what kind of creature that Captain Renard is, who is the primary character's police captain boss on the show, but I am thinking that he may be a vampire - even though that theory of mine stems from him apparently being a member of some kind royalty in the Wesen world. I say vampire, because his connection to royalty makes me think Dracula, as in Count Dracula with the title of count. Of course, I may be way out in left field on that theory, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Having watched the entire first season of the show, now, I think that I would rate the Silas Weir Mitchell as Monroe and Sasha Roiz as Captain Sean Renard as the top two acting talents on the show. The show's main character, David Giuntoli as Nick Burnhardt, continues to grow on me, but I don't think that he is the best actor of the bunch, by far.

Monroe steals the show. He really does. But, Captain Renard's role in the Wesen world aspect of the show, and the slow way in which they have been dragging out revealing who he really is, compared to how quickly each episode reveals some type of Wesen creature, really injects some depth into the over-arching storyline.
I think that they have a good balance going on, and the writers are doing a fine job bringing creatures from fairy tales to life in a modern world setting.

Good writing and good acting in the same show. The special effects with the creature transformations help to spice things up and to keep each individual episode interesting, but the special effects are only the icing on the cake of quality writing, quality acting, and an ongoing plot line of substance.

Grimm - It's good stuff!

RE: Captain Renard - Adriano Neres Rodrigues - 05-24-2013

(04-04-2013, 08:34 PM)Lou Wrote: As I'm writing this we are 3/4 of the way through the second season and the writers are showing the Captain in a more favorable light. I started thinking maybe I was wrong and this guy isn't so bad. So I went back and re-watched some of Season 1 over again.

I'm going to make a list of all the bad things the Captain has done so far. go ahead and add as many as you can think of.

Sent Addelaide to kill Aunt Marie.
Pulled guards off Aunt Marie in the hospital
Was in collusion with the Wesson who ran the fight club.
Siced Addelaide on Hank - and gave her Hank's blood for her potion.

I think Captain Renard just does what need to be done in the way to get what he wants. His plane, aparently, since the beging was to have Nick on his side. So everything (aparently good and aparently bad) was done in this way. Think about it: killing aunt Marie was a way to let Nick alone (at least relative to grimms). If aunt Marie was alive, certanlly she was discovery Renards royality and that would be a problem do Renard's plan against the families.

The fight club, for Renard, maybe served to two purposes: get that wesen in his side and... well, that was just bussiness.

Addelaide and Hank's plot has everything to do with keeping Nick close. Renard geting "good" during the 2nd seasson has the same purpose. So, Renard will be good to Nick while Nick serves his purpose.

That is my opinion about Renards.

RE: Captain Renard - Kaper_40 - 05-25-2013

New to the site. Been watching Grimm from the beginning. I dont know maybe I missed an episode or was to stoned, but my question is if anyone knows what do the Vesin see when they look at Nick. What is a Grimm's natural form.

RE: Captain Renard - HellJacket - 05-26-2013

(05-24-2013, 08:01 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote: I think Captain Renard just does what need to be done in the way to get what he wants. His plane, aparently, since the beging was to have Nick on his side. So everything (aparently good and aparently bad) was done in this way. Think about it: killing aunt Marie was a way to let Nick alone (at least relative to grimms). If aunt Marie was alive, certanlly she was discovery Renards royality and that would be a problem do Renard's plan against the families.

I'm going to have to disagree with this. Renard and Adalind's attack on Aunt Marie was dumb. It was really dumb. The attack still makes no sense. If the goal of the attack was to get the key, what does killing Aunt Marie do to advance that goal? And regarding your comment about discovering Renard's Royalty, it's unlikely that any grimm would be able to recognize that Renard was a royal. I doubt you can just google their genealogy, let alone for a bastard Royal. Also, can't Renard just take the week off while she's sick? It's unlikely Aunt Marie or Renard would ever have reason to encounter each other (I can't remember if they even met in the pilot).

And if as you say, if the goal of killing Aunt Marie was to get "Nick alone (at least relative to grimms)," what's the point of the attack anyway? She has terminal friggin brain cancer. Just wait a few months (or days as it turned out), and let nature take its course. Nick was raised by Aunt Marie. Without reading Nick's mind, it's unlikely Aunt Marie would tell Nick anything especially dangerous that she hadn't told him already.

Anyways, the attack on Marie was dumb. I understand why the writers did it (they needed to show how Nick's boss, Captain Renard, had bad motives towards Nick), but still, I wish they had thought a bit longer about how to accomplish that.

RE: Captain Renard - Lou - 05-26-2013

(05-26-2013, 12:41 PM)HellJacket Wrote:
(05-24-2013, 08:01 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote: I think Captain Renard just does what need to be done in the way to get what he wants. His plane, aparently, since the beging was to have Nick on his side. So everything (aparently good and aparently bad) was done in this way. Think about it: killing aunt Marie was a way to let Nick alone (at least relative to grimms). If aunt Marie was alive, certanlly she was discovery Renards royality and that would be a problem do Renard's plan against the families.

I'm going to have to disagree with this. Renard and Adalind's attack on Aunt Marie was dumb. It was really dumb. The attack still makes no sense. If the goal of the attack was to get the key, what does killing Aunt Marie do to advance that goal? And regarding your comment about discovering Renard's Royalty, it's unlikely that any grimm would be able to recognize that Renard was a royal. I doubt you can just google their genealogy, let alone for a bastard Royal. Also, can't Renard just take the week off while she's sick? It's unlikely Aunt Marie or Renard would ever have reason to encounter each other (I can't remember if they even met in the pilot).

And if as you say, if the goal of killing Aunt Marie was to get "Nick alone (at least relative to grimms)," what's the point of the attack anyway? She has terminal friggin brain cancer. Just wait a few months (or days as it turned out), and let nature take its course. Nick was raised by Aunt Marie. Without reading Nick's mind, it's unlikely Aunt Marie would tell Nick anything especially dangerous that she hadn't told him already.

Anyways, the attack on Marie was dumb. I understand why the writers did it (they needed to show how Nick's boss, Captain Renard, had bad motives towards Nick), but still, I wish they had thought a bit longer about how to accomplish that.

My take on it was that Renard thought that ANY information Aunt Marie gave to Nick was too much. The more Nick was in the dark the more vulnerable he would be.

But I do agree with you, it was dumb. Either the writers or Cpat Renard didn't think this through all the way.

RE: Captain Renard - HellJacket - 05-26-2013

(05-26-2013, 02:00 PM)Lou Wrote: My take on it was that Renard thought that ANY information Aunt Marie gave to Nick was too much. The more Nick was in the dark the more vulnerable he would be.
I understand this point, and in critiquing literary characters, people often rationalize characters as having extreme positions. Writers (especially bad writers) often resort to this so they can have the scenes they want.

The problem is that it goes against the most common Risk/Reward analysis. What was the risk to engaging in a murder conspiracy of a policeman's aunt who is a working under you in the same precinct? Very high in my opinion.

What was the reward for accomplishing this murder? I got nothing. Even if the reward is "preventing ANY [more] information from Aunt Marie to Nick." How does Renard ever verify this was the case? And is a few months of extra information worth it?

I would like to say one thing though. My previous posts are "begging a very important question." I'm assuming the only two alternatives is that a) the attack was because of the key or b) the attack had to do with Nick's relationship with Aunt Marie. Both of these assumptions may be wrong. It's also possible that the attack was an independent hit on Aunt Marie based on her past actions. In that case, it's just a coincidence that she is Nick's aunt and that she also had the key.

RE: Captain Renard - Lou - 05-26-2013

HJ,
Again you make some very good points.
Part of me thinks its just absurd to put this much analysis into a TV show. Didn't we learn anything from 7 years of Lost??!!
But a bigger part of me thinks this is just so much fun.
Anyway, I like your theories. And they sparked another idea in me. Could it be argued that killing Aunt Marie was sort of knee jerk reaction. Like if you walked into your kitchen and saw a .... rattlesnake. Even if he doesn't know Marie he might fear or hate her because she is a Grimm.
Ok, I already expect you to say, "but he knows Nick is a Grimm". but do we really know that? and he is a "tame" Grimm - or an immature Grimm. Maybe that's like having a baby tiger in your backyard?

RE: Captain Renard - Charles Mosteller - 05-26-2013

The actor playing Renard doesn't know how his own character will develop, over time, so it is doubtful that any of us are better placed to know than he is.

With that reality always looming over our respective heads, as fans, I was curious about another aspect of the Captain Renard character. Previously, he drank a potion from Catherine Schade that was supposed to make him "pure of heart." Was the end effect temporary? Or is there any lingering or permanent effect of that "pure of heart" potion on the captain?

I was also thinking that maybe it is Captain Renard's royal blood that provides him a edge (acts as a modifier) in enabling him to not woge, unless he wants to.