Grimm Forum
S3E17 - Synchronicity - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 3 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-3)
+---- Thread: S3E17 - Synchronicity (/Thread-S3E17-Synchronicity)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: S3E17 - Synchronicity - Hyndara - 04-07-2014

The weekly picspam is uploaded:

Nick in 3.17

RE: S3E17 - Synchronicity - FräuleinWunderlich - 04-07-2014

I´m not sure if I like or dislike this episode. My first reaction was:bwaa they are all crazy(acept Juliette)! My second reaction was: They change the character more and more. And at least I was wondering why we have so much answers in this one episode and everyone have just eyes for the baby.

RE: S3E17 - Synchronicity - Hyndara - 04-07-2014

They change the characters from episode to episode, that's one of my main problems this season, LadyWunderlich. You actually notice pretty quickly who wrote the episode (if a new writer or one of the three "experienced" ones) only in how the main characters are acting. Especially Rosalee seems to have a mulitple personality-disorder now, Monroe and Wu are only have one dimension anymore (that's what the writers think is funny), Juliette morphs between housewife and Miss Moneypenny, Renard is only a huge enigma (mostly to himself) and Nick ... does anybody here knows the Struwwelpeter? There's this little tale in it about Hans-stares-in-the-Air (I hope the translation is right), the guy who completely ignores the world and is only looking into the sky. Ya, it didn't end well in the book.
Adalind was the only character still in line - until she gave birth and obviously lost her brain with it.
Not to speak about Kelly here. Seriously? Guys, I LOVE Mary! I think I've watched everything with her and I know what an outstanding actress she can be. What I saw on this episode was someone who only read down her lines and not really acting with the other ones on one stage with her, she barely keeps eye-contact with anybody, got distracted pretty fast, ignores what is going on in the room/plane. Yeah, that was exactly what I was thinking of after the news came through that she would return - especially after she said last year, she wouldn't. Yup, I know where the money for the pictures, proper guest-stars and CGI went after watching this disaster.
And the plane? Yeah, of course, an old airplane from the 1950 can cross the ocean AND an entire continent without refill while a small and modern private jet (we remember 3.01) has to stop for refill in New York. Really? And the solution with the sunglasses ... oh, hey, I'm Clark Kent now, former known as Nick Burkhardt and will have my outing as Superman soon *rolls eyes*.
BTW, Nick has obviously issues with his memory. During two seasons he told everybody he never saw the trailer before - only that we now saw said trailer hooked on Marie's truck when she came across to pick up her nephew. Which looked to me more like she took him for a few days on a camping trip instead of the start of a run that took years - on both sides. Kelly had all the time in the world to give hugs and kisses and give and take some last instructions. Seriously? If I were one of the Schakals I had killed all three of them, took the coins AND the trailer and would have been gone in only the time Kelly needed to tell Nick that he couldn't take his bat with him *rolls eyes even more*.
I don't wish anybody to be unemployed (just in case somebody has read what I got tonight from the writers via Twitter), but is it really too much to wish to watch at least ONE episode of this season without putting my brain on ice?

RE: S3E17 - Synchronicity - dragonmischief - 04-08-2014

This is fantasy and I like to enjoy it that way. I don't care about the year of the plane, or every little detail nor do I want to take notes on what everyone previously said. It's entertainment. I've even come to tolerate Juliette.

RE: S3E17 - Synchronicity - Hyndara - 04-09-2014

The problem is, Grimm isn't only fantasy and even fantasy has to follow the rules the worldbuilder has set. Grimm is set into our very own reality, with that planes have to make a pitstop before or right after they crossed the ocean (in this particular case in both). Those researches take a couple of minutes, you don't even have to know a pilot or someone with a licence. And even with not having the time and/or to show one of those stops, as writer you could manage to bring it to life in one sentence (for example Adalind looking shocked and Kelly just saying "I hope we don't have to have another stop" or something like that).
The first rule for every writer of any of the phantastic genres is to know your world and its rules by heart. You HAVE to have the explanation for everything, because you could get into a situation where you are asked about something in particular. The current writers give a damn about existing rules, they don't even care about their own. If you ask them something you will sooner or later get the answer, that the only reason something is working this way is because they want it to work this way. Those answers I remember pretty well from another writers team. Only it took them 15 years to go there, not only one.

RE: S3E17 - Synchronicity - GrimmForum - 04-09-2014

The important thing is that everyone is entitled to their own views of the show. To me, fantasy or fiction doesn't have to follow rules set in reality. Grimm from my view is set in it's own reality, and not in our own.

Also being from Portland, a lot of the places in Grimm are very familiar to me. But a lot of times, they don't follow scene-to-scene with the actual Portland. For example, I remember a chase scene through a "bookstore" where Nick runs through a door and ends up in front of the riverbank. The bookstore is actually a theater in real life, and it's about 15 blocks away from the river. So, I haven't been watching Grimm thinking it follows our actual timeline or set rules.

RE: S3E17 - Synchronicity - Hyndara - 04-10-2014

Fair enough! I remember other Portlandians told me about that theater turned into bookstore. And also the storage-yard isn't the location where it is supposed to be.

I would say, it's a matter of personal view, I'm with you. There are differences between changes that are necessary, "charming failures" or simply lack of interest in your actual work. Necessary changes are such things like the theater/bookstore or the storage yard. That's okay and it works out. No problem. Charming failures (that's how one of my favourite writers is calling those) are simply things that are forgotten to mention anymore, especially when you are writing stories/novels. The forgotten coffee-pot for example, that's suddenly one of two, in the hand of one of the characters or is pending after the character took it because the writer forgot that said character had the coffee pot in its hand.
What I've noticed, and I know this sounds much harder than I actually want it to, is simply the fact that the writers don't care. I've noticed during the past months, since they signed up a Twitter account, that they barely have a clue about the storylines, the characters, the abilities and the Wesen. They change the canon because they are ... don't know how to name it otherwise ... too lazy to do a simple 2 seocnd-research.
Current example is Hitler (and I HATE this example from the bottom of my heart!): What did we learn in season 1? He was Wesen, we actually see him woge when Nick is watching the film at the trailer. What kind of Wesen he was? A Schakal.
I've no idea why or how that little piece of scene ended up in the opener the show has since season 2 (thanks to every God I know that they got rid of that spoken text!), but it is. So, you actually SEE Hitler woge into a Schakal in every episode.
Now a fan at Twitter asked the writers about what kind of Wesen Hitler was because he/she couldn't really make it out during the opener. What said Grimmster got for an answer? HItler was a Blutbad ...
I leave this without further comment. I am done with this topic now. Rest is to you.

RE: S3E17 - Synchronicity - Elkhound - 04-10-2014

(04-10-2014, 05:13 AM)Hyndara Wrote: Current example is Hitler (and I HATE this example from the bottom of my heart!): What did we learn in season 1? He was Wesen, we actually see him woge when Nick is watching the film at the trailer. What kind of Wesen he was? A Schakal.
I've no idea why or how that little piece of scene ended up in the opener the show has since season 2 (thanks to every God I know that they got rid of that spoken text!), but it is. So, you actually SEE Hitler woge into a Schakal in every episode.
Now a fan at Twitter asked the writers about what kind of Wesen Hitler was because he/she couldn't really make it out during the opener. What said Grimmster got for an answer? HItler was a Blutbad ...
I leave this without further comment. I am done with this topic now. Rest is to you.

Schakal, Blutbad--still a canine. (Really, how different are jackals from wolves? I think they can even interbreed.)

RE: S3E17 - Synchronicity - speakeasy - 04-10-2014

For what it's worth, the pilots told Kelly they had four extra fuel tanks on the plane, and that they would give them a long range. Don't know if the extra fuel would realistically get them as far as Oregon or not, though.

Rewatched the episode and noticed something I missed first pass. The saying at the beginning of the episode is "In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder there is a secret order." - a Carl Jung quotation.

Carl Jung created the concept of Synchronicity (title of the episode) - when two or more events are not connected causally, but by meaning. Juliette refers to this and sees the possible connection in Kelly having to change plans and bring Adalind and the baby to Nick's house. That it was meant to be. Could she be suggesting that maybe Nick was meant to be the one to raise the baby? She would do great good then and draw people to follow her in a positive and world-changing sense. Of course, Nick would need a good wife to help him in this, so maybe it wouldn't be 317 years until he found the opportunity to propose - which is the only reference to the episode number I can make!

On the other hand, Kelly says the child must not be raised by the Royals or the Resistance - that she should have a normal upbringing, which kinda lets Nick out of the running. Oh, well, it's an intriguing thought, and pure speculation, things change fast on Grimm.Big Grin

Side bar: Kelly either has the coins with her or has stashed them somewhere for temporary safe-keeping. But, if Kelly is around, can Farly Kolt be far behind? (Too much to ask.Wink)

RE: S3E17 - Synchronicity - droid327 - 04-11-2014

(04-10-2014, 06:42 AM)Elkhound Wrote: Schakal, Blutbad--still a canine. (Really, how different are jackals from wolves? I think they can even interbreed.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canid_hybrid

Jackals are more genetically distinct from other members of Canis, they have different chromosomal counts...they can breed with other jackals, but not with more "dog-like" canids.

But yes, its not as big a difference as, say, dog to hyenas.