Grimm Forum
Romany (Gypsies) - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Romany (Gypsies) (/Thread-Romany-Gypsies)

Pages: 1 2

Romany (Gypsies) - Elkhound - 03-07-2014

According to this, Oregon has the largest concentration in the US of Roma (commonly called 'Gypsies') in the US.

I have a feeling this may become a plot-point down the road.

RE: Romany (Gypsies) - Rumpelstiltskin - 03-07-2014

Well done-

I could see Stefania's gypsies and the gypsies in Portland having some type of connection that could come into play in the future

RE: Romany (Gypsies) - speakeasy - 03-07-2014

Stefania is Queen of the Schwartzwald Gypsies, members of the Romani gypsies. The contract she had Adalind sign in blood was written in Romani. I didn't know Oregon had the largest concentration of them; that's fascinating. It would be great to have a connection between her and some of the group in Portland Exclamation Thanks for the info!

RE: Romany (Gypsies) - pale boy - 03-08-2014

(03-07-2014, 03:46 PM)speakeasy Wrote: I didn't know Oregon had the largest concentration of them; that's fascinating. It would be great to have a connection between her and some of the group in Portland Exclamation Thanks for the info!

Yeah, same here with the surprise. I've done some research/bored surfing on Roma people yonks back but I concentrated more the cultures in the UK and Europe rather than the US. Very interesting to know that there is a large population in Oregon. I wonder if it's a coincidence or if the writers simply doing loads of research. Hope that it is the second. It would be pleasant to see that the Roma connection is more than just the "insert mystical group here" trope.

RE: Romany (Gypsies) - manal18 - 03-09-2014

Romany Wisdom is a fictional supporting character published by Marvel Comics. She first appeared in Pryde and Wisdom #2.

RE: Romany (Gypsies) - FräuleinWunderlich - 03-10-2014

Very interesting. Looks like there are much different cultures/ethnical groups around Portland. maybe Stefanias people and Portlands roma are one group. I have still the theory that Stefania could be Renards mother or she knew his mother at least. It would explain why he came to Portland . She or Nicks mum.
Spoiler :
I'm so happy this secret get solved in season3

I don't know it's in USA the same as in Germany,but if you call romany or sinte a gypsie most of them take it as a insult.

RE: Romany (Gypsies) - Elkhound - 03-10-2014

(03-10-2014, 10:34 AM)FräuleinWunderlich Wrote: Very interesting. Looks like there are much different cultures/ethnical groups around Portland. maybe Stefanias people and Portlands roma are one group. I have still the theory that Stefania could be Renards mother or she knew his mother at least. It would explain why he came to Portland . She or Nicks mum.
Spoiler :
I'm so happy this secret get solved in season3

I don't know it's in USA the same as in Germany,but if you call romany or sinte a gypsie most of them take it as a insult.

We also have Irish Travelers, who are a distinct group with some similarities with the Romany, but are ethnically distinct. And yes, the term Gypsy is considered a slur when referring to the Roma.

And yes, Portland is quite the ethnic stew.

RE: Romany (Gypsies) - speakeasy - 03-12-2014

It's important to observe proper and respectful cultural terminologies. Good to know that Roma is the correct term to describe the group. I was also thinking that the word Romani was indicative of Stefania's people coming from Romania and that was incorrect - even though many Roma peoples who immigrated to the U.S. were from Romania. Got it nailed now, hopefully: Roma refers to those groups sharing a common heritage, although not necessarily an ethnic one, and members of this group come from diverse nationalities and countries.

Long story short: I love the character of the beautiful, powerful, and always wily, Queen Stefania Exclamation And like pale boy, I hope the writers did their due diligence research and that there is a connection between hers and the group in Portland, because that means we may see her involved in more storylines. I'm compiling quite a list of favorite characters who I would like to see more of - Farley Kolt, Ian Harmon, Meisner and Stefania to name a few. Smile

RE: Romany (Gypsies) - Elkhound - 03-12-2014

The Roma are a distinct ethnic group. They came originally from northern India; their language (Romanai) is derived from Sanskrit, like Hindi, Urdu, etc. and many of the folk-rituals and purity rules they live are similar to those observed by some Hindu sects. They drifted into Europe from Turkey during the Middle Ages. They are called "Gypsies" because Europeans thought that they came from Egypt.

RE: Romany (Gypsies) - ioannaza - 03-13-2014

(03-12-2014, 05:25 PM)Elkhound Wrote: The Roma are a distinct ethnic group. They came originally from northern India; their language (Romanai) is derived from Sanskrit, like Hindi, Urdu, etc. and many of the folk-rituals and purity rules they live are similar to those observed by some Hindu sects. They drifted into Europe from Turkey during the Middle Ages. They are called "Gypsies" because Europeans thought that they came from Egypt.

That is correct! Very good!

Trivia: The word "Gypsy" is originated from the greek word "Αιγύπτιος"(= Egyptian), as the Greeks are the first who called the Roma "Gypsies", because they thought that they came From Egypt(= "Αίγυπτος"). Tongue