Grimm Forum
S3E11 - The Good Soldier - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 3 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-3)
+---- Thread: S3E11 - The Good Soldier (/Thread-S3E11-The-Good-Soldier)

Pages: 1 2

S3E11 - The Good Soldier - Gretel Hanselsister - 01-17-2014

Season 3 Episode 11
The Good Soldier

[Image: 2i1ca3d.png]

Air Date: January 17, 2014
Synopsis: Nick and Hank investigate the mysterious death of a Wesen soldier.

Your opinion about tonight's episode?

RE: S3E11 - The Good Soldier - Fuchsbauer - 01-18-2014

I thought it was awesome. The Manticore's where very cool and that fight scene was really badass! I also liked that we got to see the return of a Wesen he haven't seen since Season 1. And I really was no expecting Frankie to be a Steinadler. I thought for sure she was a Manticore. Tricked me again Grimm!

Adalind's power thing, like, what's up with that?

Rosalee's reunion with her mom and sister was not awkward, it was intense. Nice to find out a little bit more about her character.
But next week, oh jeez. Are Monroe's parents so racist to every other Wesen and to Grimms that much? I thought their heads where going to explode.

Oversll, a nice episode.

RE: S3E11 - The Good Soldier - pale boy - 01-18-2014

This thread can use something first ...

[Trigger Warning for mentions of rape]

I really did like this episode a lot. I didn't think they would go so dark with the investigation/A story, but it worked very well. It also talked about quite a few problems that aren't openly discussed -- rape in the military being one of them. Maybe it was a little strong on the message, but some things need a heavy hand -- and even with an obvious moral, the story can be good. This was that kind of episode.

Frankie Gonzales was decently portrayed as well -- she was victimized and raped, but she was never cast as a victim or someone to be pitied.

The writers knowing the difference was very appreciated. Many other TV shows I've watched tend to miss that by miles.

Then there was the closing shot that focused on Frankie rather than the investigators, which was a nice touch. The story was about her, in the end; Nick and Hank were just a part of it. Part of me wishes that we can see her show up again, just to watch her character grow and change. And probably kick butt. (To be honest, Grimm has a lot of cool and/or interesting minor characters!)

The B story with Rosalee and Monroe was good too, although for different reasons. Their interactions always help ground the more fantastical elements of Grimm, despite those characters being Wesen. Some of the family issues were a gut punch for personal reasons, and only endeared Rosalee to me more. (Though her sister came off as a potential future serial killer. Confused Gender-flipped Norman Bates, anyone?)

For a show with monsters and the people who hunt them, Grimm is really just getting the more "mundane" interplay between characters more and more as time goes on.

One thing that I really wish there was more screen time of would be the C plot with Adalind and Renard. It was barely there, and felt a little overshadowed by everything else.

RE: S3E11 - The Good Soldier - the-epic-prince - 01-18-2014

The episode was a good one. The best part was the Manticore fight. I think this is the first time we had a prolonged wesen fight.

RE: S3E11 - The Good Soldier - pale boy - 01-18-2014

(01-18-2014, 10:54 AM)the-epic-prince Wrote: The episode was a good one. The best part was the Manticore fight. I think this is the first time we had a prolonged wesen fight.

Heh, yeah, that was actually cool too. There was so much in this episode that I liked I'm still thinking about it.

The Manticores did give me some pause though. Head of a Löwen? Is this what happens when Wesen have offspring outside of their "type"? Confused

Also, does anyone else just want to call a single one of those lion dudes a Löwe? I learned that is the singular for the German word "lion", while Löwen is plural ... If this show is dubbed in Germany, do they correct language mistakes? Or is it just subtitled?

Another thought: are Wesen more common in Grimm's world than they've previously seemed? If so, that would make sense of why there are so many crimes involving them. There aren't large numbers in Portland; there are large numbers of Wesen everywhere.

RE: S3E11 - The Good Soldier - Abc10 - 01-18-2014

It was a good episode, but the story wasn't one of my favorites... I did like Rosalee's family. But how did Deetta know that Monroe's a Blutbad? Did she just smell him or did I miss something?

RE: S3E11 - The Good Soldier - droid327 - 01-18-2014

Well written episode, well paced, and the ending wasn't telegraphed too early for the main story.

Rosalee and Monroe got a little soap-opera-ey at times...I felt bad for her mom, she's just trying to reconnect with her prodigal daughter. Her sister (Deanna?) seemed a little unrealistic and cartoony, hopefully they flesh her out a bit if she's getting much more airtime. If I was her mom I woulda told her to shut her mouth and stop being such a B, you're the only one at this table that isnt glad Rosalee is back Smile But Monroe seemed to be the voice of reason for Rosalee in a way that Nick rarely seems to be for Juliette.

Adalind....she's gotta be one of the stupidest, clumsiest Hexenbiests in the world. I think her mom must have covered for her ineptness way too much. Everything she does just seems impulsive and poor long-term decision making. Fought Nick...lost her powers. Got pregnant with royal blood...once she has the baby, though, she's a liability and made herself a target. Got her powers back, but she still doesn't know what she actually agreed to on that contract. Missed the obvious camera in her hotel room, and the obvious guy following her all the time. And using her powers in public like that? That's gotta be a Wesen 101 thing. You think she woulda high-tailed it back to the hotel as soon as she felt it start, not play Jedi with her coffee cup.

Also...you'd think a Steinadler would join the Air Force, wouldn't you? Smile

RE: S3E11 - The Good Soldier - Lou - 01-19-2014

About half way through I thought I found a plot hole. I found myself thinking, wait, how the heck do even a bunch of guys rape a Maticore. Well I suppose they could take turns holding her stinger down. Or maybe they could have knocked her out and tied her up. but still if you didn't know she was a manticore first, and why would you, you would be dead meat.
but then we got to the interview room and I'm going - well its probably easier to rape a Steinadler.
and then we get to the end I'm going - especially if you're a Manticore.

You think those other "cowboys" were Wesan too?
If not, if this was a representative sample, then what 30% of our armed forces are weson.

I didn't think Rosalee had a car. And i can see why they might not want to take Monroe's bug all the way to Medford. So did they rent that cute little Fiat?

RE: S3E11 - The Good Soldier - GrimminFlorida1 - 01-19-2014

I enjoy the episodes where Nick isn't getting all of the attention. We got to learn more about Rosalee and her family. I thought it was great how the relationship between Rosalee and her sister. Although she has much anger towards Rosalee, deep down she loves her and is only trying to protect her. It was also great to see military rape victims get a say. Many do not even know about those issues.

Overall it was a deep and thoughtful episode. Next weeks is going to be fun with Monroe's family coming.

RE: S3E11 - The Good Soldier - Gretel Hanselsister - 01-19-2014

Good episode! I enjoyed it, the main story, the Monroe-Rosalee sideline, even Adalind. The Manticore fight was really cool!

(01-18-2014, 03:05 PM)pale boy Wrote: The Manticores did give me some pause though. Head of a Löwen? Is this what happens when Wesen have offspring outside of their "type"? Confused

A Manticore is a mythological beast, a chimaera, so you don’t have to combine different Wesen, the old Persians did it for us already. Big Grin

(01-18-2014, 03:05 PM)pale boy Wrote: Also, does anyone else just want to call a single one of those lion dudes a Löwe? I learned that is the singular for the German word "lion", while Löwen is plural ... If this show is dubbed in Germany, do they correct language mistakes? Or is it just subtitled?

Oh yes, very good!
Many Wesen names are based on German words, but most of them rather loosely. You see, the Löwen lost their dots, they are called Lowen. The best example is still the Blutbad – Blutbaden plural, it still makes me giggle (as mentioned before: if you need a plural for Blutbad-bloodbath, it would be bloodbaths-Blutbäder). On German TV the Lowen are Löwen and one of them is a Löwe, you are absolutely right.

(01-18-2014, 04:47 PM)droid327 Wrote: Adalind....she's gotta be one of the stupidest, clumsiest Hexenbiests in the world. ... And using her powers in public like that? That's gotta be a Wesen 101 thing. You think she woulda high-tailed it back to the hotel as soon as she felt it start, not play Jedi with her coffee cup.

I liked Adalind in that café, the way she looked uncomfortable when the candelabra bursted. She’s getting her powers back and obviously she unlearned a bit how to control them. I had fun! And it was interesting to see what kind of powers Hexenbiests (@"pale boy": German plural would be Hexenbiester) have at all. Nice demonstration, we had nothing comparable so far.

(01-18-2014, 04:47 PM)droid327 Wrote: Also...you'd think a Steinadler would join the Air Force, wouldn't you? Smile

Yeah, nice! It could become handy to woge when they need a parachute and don’t have one. Big Grin

(01-19-2014, 12:00 PM)GrimminFlorida1 Wrote: I thought it was great how the relationship between Rosalee and her sister. Although she has much anger towards Rosalee, deep down she loves her and is only trying to protect her.

She was so sweet in her woge when she told Monroe "You break my little sisters heart, I’ll kill you!" I immediately forgave her the former behavior inside the house.