Grimm Forum
S03E09 - Red Menace - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 3 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-3)
+---- Thread: S03E09 - Red Menace (/Thread-S03E09-Red-Menace)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

S03E09 - Red Menace - GrimmForum - 01-03-2014

Season 3 Episode 9
Red Menace

[Image: iZdWJn2l.jpg]

Air Date: January 3, 2014
Synopsis: Nick (David Giuntoli) and Hank (Russell Hornsby) investigate a Wesen "healer" whose ability holds risks that far outweigh its rewards. Meanwhile, Juliette (Bitsie Tulloch) takes in a friend when domestic issues escalate and Hank makes a move on his physical therapist Zuri (guest star Sharon Leal). Elsewhere, Captain Renard (Sasha Roiz) finally tracks down Adalind (Claire Coffee) and has a stern warning for her.

Trailer
Spoiler :

Happy New Year everyone! With 2014 comes a new episode of Grimm tonight!

RE: S03E09 - Red Menace - Lou - 01-03-2014

My favorite part of the show was the beginning.
Me: Wait, we've done little red riding hood already!

Juliette's friend is weson? Is anyone living in Portland, not weson?
why hasn't Nick mentioned to Juliette, or even her friend that he knows she's wesson. The "old" nick would have called Monroe.

Renard comes back from Vienna. That was quick. Not that he is back, did this side trip actually accomplish anything plot-wise?
His conversation with Adalind seemed pointless, too.

I can't remember another show where we have seen as many externals as we have seen of Juliette's house.
Come to think of it, has there ever been a cop show that focused so much on the cop's after hours life?

RE: S03E09 - Red Menace - FräuleinWunderlich - 01-04-2014

(01-03-2014, 11:15 PM)Lou Wrote: My favorite part of the show was the beginning.

Juliette's friend is weson? Is anyone living in Portland, not weson?

I think her friend isn't from portland because juliette said: call me when your on the road. And she and later her husband takes a few hours to get to Nick and Juliette.

The first scene was a little bit flashback like. Was it the same jogging girl from the first episode? (Very good music btw)

I don't know why, but I didn't like Renards buddy from the resistance.
And renard acting strange as he talks to Adalind.

The caseplot in this episode was pretty cool. Even Renards rusian was uhm...yes...ok...is their a language this guy didn't speak? But the whole case was interesting. Nick should find a Koschei friend!

RE: S03E09 - Red Menace - Gretel Hanselsister - 01-04-2014

Not my favourite ep, to chaotic for my taste.

(01-03-2014, 11:15 PM)Lou Wrote: My favorite part of the show was the beginning.

Yes, I liked that too!
Nick is running but not sweating.

Alicia is a Fuchsbau, her husband is Klaustreich. So what? I only wonder why he wants to keep her, he should look out for a Seltenvogel. And a Fuchsbau is supposed to be clever, why didn't she leave him earlier?

Adalind is going to need friends in the future. Renard volunteers. Really?

Myshkin's wife Olga is Wesen, is this a Wildschwein (boar) as Monroe mentioned somewhere in season one? I'd like to learn more about new Wesen, better than having too many of them in one small episode.

Hank tries to go out with his therapist.

The main story was pretty cool, I really thought the Koschie was the bad guy til the end. Why had it to be that disgusting? For me this isn't necessary.

The captain speaks russian.

Myshkin kills via radiation poisoning, so we have Nick, Hank and Wu under the shower and entering the precinct as ghostbusters - no, not funny. It's ridiculous.

Too many stories for one episode, sorry Blush.

RE: S03E09 - Red Menace - speakeasy - 01-04-2014

I watched this episode twice and still had a difficult time keeping up with all the storylines, but it may be my favorite so far.

I thought that Olga was supposed to be a Fatal Malin wesen, a Siberian tiger, but she clearly was a wild boar wesen. But I rather liked the "Rasputin, the Mad Monk comparison to Myshkin, and the diary notes the guys found in the trailer - made the character more interesting because of the historical connection. He probably earned his redemption by sacrificing his life to save that of his assailant, nice touch.

Renard speaks Russian, and well, too, and has a comrade (pardon the pun) in Russia. I totally don't understand that part; maybe it will become more clear later. Anyway, he tells Adalind that she's gonna need a friend in times ahead, but she put a bloody handprint on that humungous contract with Stefania, and I'm thinking that Romanian gypsies take that sort of thing very seriously. The situation is about to get complicated, and I hope this means we see more of Stefania. Adalind looked especially pretty in her scenes, she looks good with Shaun.

Thought the scenes showing the guys in their decontamination suits was funny, with the music and the Ghostbusters wisecracks - who you gonna call? Smile

Seems every episode in this season shows us another enhanced physical attribute of Nick's. Let's see, we can breathe under water (or go without oxygen) for long periods, have low blood pressure, a slow heart rate, superior hearing, sharper reflexes and can run fast without breaking a sweat so far. Wonder if this is peculiar to Nick and his zombie encounter or something natural for all Grimm.

Poor Hank isn't making great progress with his PT so far, but how long could any girl resist him? Crossing my fingers she'll change her mind next week Exclamation

RE: S03E09 - Red Menace - hot schade - 01-04-2014

i felt this eppy had a soap opera feel to it, it went from one story to another, i was like wait....whats going on?? LOL! i didnt have a prob with that as i have been watching soaps for a while, im use to it LOL!

i too liked the beginning, reminded me of the first eppy!

i liked the wesen storyline as it wasn't a wesen fighting his nature or anything like that, but one that does some good who tries to make amends, i liked the human touch of this story it was nice to see. not just mindless, one dimensional criminals.

i really liked the shower.....mmmmmm! and the suits LOL!

Quote:Seems every episode in this season shows us another enhanced physical attribute of Nick's. Let's see, we can breathe under water (or go without oxygen) for long periods, have low blood pressure, a slow heart rate, superior hearing, sharper reflexes and can run fast without breaking a sweat so far. Wonder if this is peculiar to Nick and his zombie encounter or something natural for all Grimm.

yeah, this is interesting eh! im starting to wonder what nick really is, is he just a grimm, is it possible that he is a different kind of wesen?? or is it all connected to him being undead?? i wonder if he is some how in the middle of being alive and dead?? there are so many possibilities that it will be interesting to see where they go with it.

im not sure about sean, it does seem like they rushed it, like we'll figure it out in the new year and it came and they still hadn't figured it out. *scratches head* i hope this isn't true Sad

RE: S03E09 - Red Menace - speakeasy - 01-04-2014

(01-04-2014, 03:09 PM)hot schade Wrote:
Quote:Seems every episode in this season shows us another enhanced physical attribute of Nick's. Let's see, we can breathe under water (or go without oxygen) for long periods, have low blood pressure, a slow heart rate, superior hearing, sharper reflexes and can run fast without breaking a sweat so far. Wonder if this is peculiar to Nick and his zombie encounter or something natural for all Grimm.

yeah, this is interesting eh! im starting to wonder what nick really is, is he just a grimm, is it possible that he is a different kind of wesen?? or is it all connected to him being undead?? i wonder if he is some how in the middle of being alive and dead?? there are so many possibilities that it will be interesting to see where they go with it.

Agreed. But when I think of his 'looking like he's dead' episodes and his flashbacks to his violent zombie-state, I'm leaning toward his being both positively and negatively affected by the Baron's zombie-goo!

Quote:im not sure about sean, it does seem like they rushed it, like we'll figure it out in the new year and it came and they still hadn't figured it out. *scratches head* i hope this isn't true Sad

It seems to be leading up to a large clash soon, involving alot of Europeans. Don't know how they'll handle this cinematically, but it will be a spectacle for certain. And they have to do something like this because of all the time being put into building up the storyline. BTW, I have been watching and rewatching one of my favorite films, Shaun of The Dead, and lapsed into that spelling of Renard's first nameExclamation (It didn't look right when I typed it.) Wink

RE: S03E09 - Red Menace - hot schade - 01-04-2014

omg! i love the shaun of the dead!! one of my all time fave movies!

i think there are a lot of different ways to spell the name, but i do think that someone who seems like he might be slavic/romanian with a french last name wouldn't have an irish first name!! i would think they would have been called peter, victor, or alexander as all those names are easily translated into english and other european languages.

Quote:Agreed. But when I think of his 'looking like he's dead' episodes and his flashbacks to his violent zombie-state, I'm leaning toward his being both positively and negatively affected by the Baron's zombie-goo!

i see what you are saying, but nick had a different reaction to the zombie goo from the get go, he absorbed it quicker, he came back from his paralysis really quickly, and the baron was not able to control him. remember what the baron said before he died, that he was nick's master as nick was attacking him, im guessing that this has never happened. i think nick is a wesen, he's able to see things but his more wesen nature has been lying dormate for a while (maybe a dormat trait or something??) maybe he inherited something from his ancestors that is just presenting itself now. we really don't know what kelly or marie were capeable of, we never saw marie in action, and we know so little about kelly. this is totally off topic, but how did the scoobies know to give nick a second dose of the cure, they didn't know he got a second zombie-goo to the face, why did they give it to him?? this has been bothering me since the season started.

Quote:It seems to be leading up to a large clash soon, involving alot of Europeans. Don't know how they'll handle this cinematically, but it will be a spectacle for certain. And they have to do something like this because of all the time being put into building up the storyline. BTW, I have been watching and rewatching one of my favorite films, Shaun of The Dead, and lapsed into that spelling of Renard's first nameExclamation (It didn't look right when I typed it.) Wink

yeah, lets just hope that it is as exciting as they are building it up to be!! Big Grin

RE: S03E09 - Red Menace - Abc10 - 01-04-2014

(01-04-2014, 03:34 PM)speakeasy Wrote:
(01-04-2014, 03:09 PM)hot schade Wrote:

Agreed. But when I think of his 'looking like he's dead' episodes and his flashbacks to his violent zombie-state, I'm leaning toward his being both positively and negatively affected by the Baron's zombie-goo!

I think he's just a normal grimm but his encounter with the Jinnamure Xinte upgraded his hearing and the Cracher Mortel gave him more abilities/side effects from the zombie-stuff. David Giuntoli/the producers said in an interview a couple of weeks ago that we hadn't seen the supernatural part of it yet and that we are going to see those side effects more after the break. I hope it'll get explained soon because it's only getting more complicated...

RE: S03E09 - Red Menace - Nic118 - 01-04-2014

(01-04-2014, 10:45 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: I'd like to learn more about new Wesen, better than having too many of them in one small episode.

Agreed. Learning about new Wesen and their habits is a huge part of the fun (IMO) in watching this show. Stop cramming like eight new Wesen in per episode! How am I supposed to learn anything? Smile

Like Hank, I wasn't surprised to learn Renard speaks Russian as well. He's got that whole "worldly" thing going on, and he had a decent explanation for it too. I was super annoyed that they rushed him back to the States like that. I thought maybe he'd hang around in Vienna for a day or so to see if Adalind wanted to meet again after processing what he said.

Quote:Seems every episode in this season shows us another enhanced physical attribute of Nick's. Let's see, we can breathe under water (or go without oxygen) for long periods, have low blood pressure, a slow heart rate, superior hearing, sharper reflexes and can run fast without breaking a sweat so far.
I believe all of those symptoms (aside from the sharper reflexes and the enhanced hearing) are related to the same thing, Nick's zombification. Looks like that venom (or whatever it was) has a residual effect on him, whereas it obviously doesn't in regular humans. The sharper reflexes seem to be an inherent Grimm trait; we've seen them serve Nick and his mother well in fights. And the enhanced hearing is a lasting effect of Nick's being blinded by that fly Wesen.

hot schade Wrote:i liked the wesen storyline as it wasn't a wesen fighting his nature or anything like that, but one that does some good who tries to make amends, i liked the human touch of this story it was nice to see. not just mindless, one dimensional criminals.
Even though there was way too much going on in this ep, I did like this aspect of the case Nick was brought in to investigate. Reminded me of some of the stuff we saw in Season 1, where the Wesen criminals often had some compelling psychological motivation.

Abc10 Wrote:this is totally off topic, but how did the scoobies know to give nick a second dose of the cure, they didn't know he got a second zombie-goo to the face, why did they give it to him?? this has been bothering me since the season started.
I think Rosalee decided Nick needed another dose because A) she was guessing his Grimm metabolism might require more antidote and B) he was still kinda ... grunty. Growly? Um, zombie-ish, I guess? Smile

But that reminds me of a couple of things that have been bugging me: why is everyone so eager to get their hands on Adalind's baby? It's a bastard, and (as far as they know) half-Wesen to boot; we've seen that Renard gets no respect from his family so why would this baby be any different? Also, what the hell is up with Renard's father? They've specifically stated that Eric was only second in command, but then they're carrying on like he was in charge of everything.