Grimm Forum
which witch was better suited to a life with Nick? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: which witch was better suited to a life with Nick? (/Thread-which-witch-was-better-suited-to-a-life-with-Nick)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: which witch was better suited to a life with Nick? - N_grimm - 10-23-2018

(10-23-2018, 12:21 PM)eric Wrote: I would not call her actions a "tantrum". I see her actions as normal reactions to painful life changing events. Sudden change in personality followed by rejection from a loved one followed by loss of all friends followed by job loss followed by losing your home followed by loss of all hope that you can ever never get your "old life back". Tantrum is a 5 year old not getting a candy bar, Juliette's situation was in a whole different galaxy.

I understand your argument that a painful life changing event could affect Juliette's behavior. However, I have some friendly objections:

Why do you write that Juliette lost her job? Most people were unable to see Wesen (unless they did a co-called full-on Woge), so why couldn't Juliette continue to work as a domestic animal veterinarian? In fact, if she had not become evil and crazy, her new abilities could enable her to help sick animals in a way beyond the reach of conventional medicine. If Adalind could work as a lawyer, why could Juliette not work as a vet?

It also seems unreasonable to claim that she experienced "rejection from a loved one followed by loss of all friends". This has been discussed in detail under the heading "Hexenbiestdom", so I will only repeat what I have previously written about this issue (I realize I'm beating a dead horse): Nick, M & R would do what was necessary to help Juliette. Nick's first reaction was: “Look, we're going to figure this out and get rid of it”. He went to Henrietta and Rosalee was looking for a cure. It’s not that they didn’t try to help her or abandoned her. She moved out, threatened Nick and blamed everyone. If this happened as a side effect from Juliette becoming Adalind, and the "hex-nerve" had taken complete control of her, this was not necessarily her fault. But this question was never clarified. Both Adalind and Eve had some control over their behavior - of course, they also had more experience.

I have questioned why Juliette just woged in front of everyone rather than first telling them about the change. Was it to shock and provoke a bad reaction? When Juliette showed up in the spice shop, she had already started her journey towards the dark side.

RE: which witch was better suited to a life with Nick? - irukandji - 10-23-2018

(10-23-2018, 12:21 PM)eric Wrote: I would not call her actions a "tantrum". I see her actions as normal reactions to painful life changing events. Sudden change in personality followed by rejection from a loved one followed by loss of all friends followed by job loss followed by losing your home followed by loss of all hope that you can ever never get your "old life back". Tantrum is a 5 year old not getting a candy bar, Juliette's situation was in a whole different galaxy.

Nick made it plain to Monroe that he and Juliette were not living together. When Monroe suggested that they need some time, I presume to think things over, Nick came back with "Time is not going to help this. She's a hexenbiest. I'm a grimm".

Can't speak for anyone else, but I would definitely call that the loss of a loved one.

RE: which witch was better suited to a life with Nick? - FaceInTheCrowd - 10-23-2018

(10-23-2018, 12:21 PM)eric Wrote: I would not call her actions a "tantrum".

I don't see it as either a tantrum or normal. The description that comes most readily to my mind is more along the lines of "psychotic break."

RE: which witch was better suited to a life with Nick? - eric - 10-23-2018

(10-23-2018, 02:20 PM)N_grimm Wrote:

I understand your argument that a painful life changing event could affect Juliette's behavior. However, I have some friendly objections:

Why do you write that Juliette lost her job? Most people were unable to see Wesen (unless they did a co-called full-on Woge), so why couldn't Juliette continue to work as a domestic animal veterinarian? In fact, if she had not become evil and crazy, her new abilities could enable her to help sick animals in a way beyond the reach of conventional medicine. If Adalind could work as a lawyer, why could Juliette not work as a vet?

It also seems unreasonable to claim that she experienced "rejection from a loved one followed by loss of all friends". This has been discussed in detail under the heading "Hexenbiestdom", so I will only repeat what I have previously written about this issue (I realize I'm beating a dead horse): Nick, M & R would do what was necessary to help Juliette. Nick's first reaction was: “Look, we're going to figure this out and get rid of it”. He went to Henrietta and Rosalee was looking for a cure. It’s not that they didn’t try to help her or abandoned her. She moved out, threatened Nick and blamed everyone. If this happened as a side effect from Juliette becoming Adalind, and the "hex-nerve" had taken complete control of her, this was not necessarily her fault. But this question was never clarified. Both Adalind and Eve had some control over their behavior - of course, they also had more experience.

I have questioned why Juliette just woged in front of everyone rather than first telling them about the change. Was it to shock and provoke a bad reaction? When Juliette showed up in the spice shop, she had already started her journey towards the dark side.
When she was at the clinic she got angry, woged, and all the pets went crazy. A cat scratch might result in being a fired. Adeline's had to woge to show her boss she still had her powers, I guess being a witch is a plus for a lawyer, we have seen several lawyer wessens, male and female, all apparently successful. As far as the other hexs on the show, they were all born that way and had a long time to adjust--they accepted their hex as "normal", Juliette had a lot steeper learning curve.

(10-23-2018, 06:34 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote:
(10-23-2018, 12:21 PM)eric Wrote: I would not call her actions a "tantrum".

I don't see it as either a tantrum or normal. The description that comes most readily to my mind is more along the lines of "psychotic break."
Seems like a better word for the situation.

RE: which witch was better suited to a life with Nick? - dicappatore - 10-23-2018

(10-23-2018, 12:21 PM)eric Wrote:
(10-23-2018, 08:46 AM)dicappatore Wrote:
(10-23-2018, 06:59 AM)eric Wrote: I am not sure what "normal rational adult" reaction could be expected from Juliette at that point. She has recently--length of time open to discussion--had a complete change of life. A short list--boyfriend can no longer kiss after she helped him rescue HIS friends by taking a poison, job prospects are poor-her patients are afraid of her, former friends refer to her as "freaking", she has raging fits of justified anger because no one can help her go back to being normal, she turned into a type of being no one wants to be around--note how nervous Monroe and Rosalee were around Renard's mom(who only wanted to help her son's friend return to "normal"). People can get stressed when they suffer changes in their medical, economic, social status. Suicide is a common reaction to just one of those, a meltdown following a total collapse in one's life in not unusual. If she had not gotten upset and started lashing out, that would have been unexpected and totally abnormal.SadSad

I think the argument someone is trying to make was not "WHY" she had a tantrum "like" reaction. The argument some of us are saying if she "DID" instead of "DID NOT" have one. SOME people must think, by claiming it did not happen makes it "not happen".
I would not call her actions a "tantrum". I see her actions as normal reactions to painful life changing events. Sudden change in personality followed by rejection from a loved one followed by loss of all friends followed by job loss followed by losing your home followed by loss of all hope that you can ever never get your "old life back". Tantrum is a 5 year old not getting a candy bar, Juliette's situation was in a whole different galaxy.

Well if I saw what you saw, i would come to the same conclusions. Just a friendly reminder of what I saw.

Yea she did have a life changing event, no argument here.

She was NOT rejected by her loved one.
She was the one to rejected her loved ones.
She then embraced her haters and users, such as Sean and then the Royals.

Did you forget when Kenneth had no clue what she had become, and sent Adalind to fetch her to him so she could be used as a pawn? How easily some of us forget, at this point of the game, she was just a patsy, for him to get to Nick. Cannon fodder.

The only reasons Adalind failed was due to her being also a Hex. Thats when Ken elevated her to a higher piece on that chess board but still expendable. Something Nick could or never do, even after she had blood on her hands for his mother's death, Nick still cried over her limp un-dead body. Remember the end of S4, E22? Just one of a reminder of Juliette's status for Kenneth and the royals, before they knew what she became.

I saw her quit her job, not loose it. If she lost it by going to jail, it was still her choice, not her employer.

She did not loose her house, she walked out.

Now here is the "pièce de résistance".
Quote:Tantrum is a 5 year old not getting a candy bar, Juliette's situation was in a whole different galaxy.
What you described here, is one of a reason for a tantrum. not its definition. Never knew such a word could be defined by such a specific situation.

Just another friendly reminder of the actual definition.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
tantrum noun
tan·trum | \ˈtan-trəm\
Definition of tantrum
: a fit of bad temper

Her tantrum was a result of her reaction for all the circumstances that fell on her. She was tantrum-ized because Nick told ONLY Hank she was a Hex, yet she went to Sean, Henrietta, Adalind, etc... How did Kenneth find out? Was it someone in the gang that called him?

She had been more cooperative and explain to the gang what she was experience and asked for help, they would not have embraced her and stuck by her side like they did for 3 and a half seasons. She refused them. This is how the story line was written, not an opinion

(10-23-2018, 02:20 PM)N_grimm Wrote: I have questioned why Juliette just woged in front of everyone rather than first telling them about the change. Was it to shock and provoke a bad reaction? When Juliette showed up in the spice shop, she had already started her journey towards the dark side.

Now thats what I consider a great example of an adult trowing a tantrum!

RE: which witch was better suited to a life with Nick? - FaceInTheCrowd - 10-23-2018

What would be a "normal" emotional reaction be to being transformed into a superhuman form? We have no real world examples. Perhaps in the real world everybody would become paranoid, power-mad monsters and there'd be no superheroes at all.

RE: which witch was better suited to a life with Nick? - irukandji - 10-24-2018

(10-23-2018, 06:34 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: I don't see it as either a tantrum or normal. The description that comes most readily to my mind is more along the lines of "psychotic break."

So the hexenbiest spirit causes mental health illness then? That is a very interesting thought.

RE: which witch was better suited to a life with Nick? - brandon - 10-24-2018

His " tantrum" because Nick told him to Hank.
I really believe that if Nick had said it was okay to be a " Hexenbiest", she would have got angry.
Neither Monroe nor Rosalee, nor Nick knew that something like that. Juliette agreed to do it and it was not required.
She accusing them of prejudices, that they did not understand. She was prejudiced, the racist.

RE: which witch was better suited to a life with Nick? - irukandji - 10-24-2018

(10-24-2018, 04:55 AM)brandon Wrote: His " tantrum" because Nick told him to Hank.
I really believe that if Nick had said it was okay to be a " Hexenbiest", she would have got angry.
Neither Monroe nor Rosalee, nor Nick knew that something like that. Juliette agreed to do it and it was not required.
She accusing them of prejudices, that they did not understand. She was prejudiced, the racist.

Well, let's talk about Nick for moment here because I keep reading how supportive he is of Juliette, how much he cares for Juliette, what he'll do for Juliette, yada, yada, yada. And, when he's alone with Juliette he actually does claim to be supportive of her, "they'll find a way out of this" (paraphrasing).

So then, why does he show how unsupportive he can be in front of Monroe and Rosalee? When Monroe tells Nick he and Juliette just need time, Nick cuts him off by stating they don't need time because he's a grimm and she's a hexenbiest. Nick doesn't ask them for help.

Instead, it's actually Rosalee who says she'll look for a possible cure for Juliette.

RE: which witch was better suited to a life with Nick? - eric - 10-24-2018

(10-23-2018, 10:20 PM)dicappatore Wrote:
(10-23-2018, 12:21 PM)eric Wrote:
(10-23-2018, 08:46 AM)dicappatore Wrote:
(10-23-2018, 06:59 AM)eric Wrote: I am not sure what "normal rational adult" reaction could be expected from Juliette at that point. She has recently--length of time open to discussion--had a complete change of life. A short list--boyfriend can no longer kiss after she helped him rescue HIS friends by taking a poison, job prospects are poor-her patients are afraid of her, former friends refer to her as "freaking", she has raging fits of justified anger because no one can help her go back to being normal, she turned into a type of being no one wants to be around--note how nervous Monroe and Rosalee were around Renard's mom(who only wanted to help her son's friend return to "normal"). People can get stressed when they suffer changes in their medical, economic, social status. Suicide is a common reaction to just one of those, a meltdown following a total collapse in one's life in not unusual. If she had not gotten upset and started lashing out, that would have been unexpected and totally abnormal.SadSad

I think the argument someone is trying to make was not "WHY" she had a tantrum "like" reaction. The argument some of us are saying if she "DID" instead of "DID NOT" have one. SOME people must think, by claiming it did not happen makes it "not happen".
I would not call her actions a "tantrum". I see her actions as normal reactions to painful life changing events. Sudden change in personality followed by rejection from a loved one followed by loss of all friends followed by job loss followed by losing your home followed by loss of all hope that you can ever never get your "old life back". Tantrum is a 5 year old not getting a candy bar, Juliette's situation was in a whole different galaxy.

Well if I saw what you saw, i would come to the same conclusions. Just a friendly reminder of what I saw.

Yea she did have a life changing event, no argument here.

She was NOT rejected by her loved one.
She was the one to rejected her loved ones.
She then embraced her haters and users, such as Sean and then the Royals.

Did you forget when Kenneth had no clue what she had become, and sent Adalind to fetch her to him so she could be used as a pawn? How easily some of us forget, at this point of the game, she was just a patsy, for him to get to Nick. Cannon fodder.

The only reasons Adalind failed was due to her being also a Hex. Thats when Ken elevated her to a higher piece on that chess board but still expendable. Something Nick could or never do, even after she had blood on her hands for his mother's death, Nick still cried over her limp un-dead body. Remember the end of S4, E22? Just one of a reminder of Juliette's status for Kenneth and the royals, before they knew what she became.

I saw her quit her job, not loose it. If she lost it by going to jail, it was still her choice, not her employer.

She did not loose her house, she walked out.

Now here is the "pièce de résistance".
Quote:Tantrum is a 5 year old not getting a candy bar, Juliette's situation was in a whole different galaxy.
What you described here, is one of a reason for a tantrum. not its definition. Never knew such a word could be defined by such a specific situation.

Just another friendly reminder of the actual definition.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
tantrum noun
tan·trum | \ˈtan-trəm\
Definition of tantrum
: a fit of bad temper

Her tantrum was a result of her reaction for all the circumstances that fell on her. She was tantrum-ized because Nick told ONLY Hank she was a Hex, yet she went to Sean, Henrietta, Adalind, etc... How did Kenneth find out? Was it someone in the gang that called him?

She had been more cooperative and explain to the gang what she was experience and asked for help, they would not have embraced her and stuck by her side like they did for 3 and a half seasons. She refused them. This is how the story line was written, not an opinion

(10-23-2018, 02:20 PM)N_grimm Wrote: I have questioned why Juliette just woged in front of everyone rather than first telling them about the change. Was it to shock and provoke a bad reaction? When Juliette showed up in the spice shop, she had already started her journey towards the dark side.

Now thats what I consider a great example of an adult trowing a tantrum!
You view Juiiette's actions as a "tantrum"--your word, your choice. I used "meltdown", others describe it a "psychotic break". We all see things differently, use different words. For me a tantrum is at best a "fit" that is caused by small events blown out of proportion. Juliette's changes were not "small" in my eyes. Maybe I need to get new glasses--lt is time for my annual checkup. Sad