Grimm Forum
Hexenbiestdom - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Hexenbiestdom (/Thread-Hexenbiestdom)

RE: Hexenbiestdom - syscrash - 07-23-2018

Quote:Adalind definitely gave off an absolute power corrupts absolutely vibe to me. It enabled her to act on her worst impulses. She was a former bad girl who was convinced she would be bad again if she had the ability to do so. Her circumstances changed but she didn't yet believe that she was able to change along with them. Adalind didn't think she could have that type of power and not be tempted to do something malicious with it.
You made the point better then I did. absolute power corrupts absolutely. Adalind was the perfect example. Even when the power was carrying royal blood, she became arrogant, and demanding.

RE: Hexenbiestdom - irukandji - 07-23-2018

(07-23-2018, 05:05 PM)Hell Rell Wrote:
(07-23-2018, 11:08 AM)irukandji Wrote: I think you're misunderstanding my intent when I posed the question about Adalind lying. I'm not criticizing her for doing so, I just believe that she would do anything to fight for herself and her baby. What's a lie in relation to that?

On the other hand, who of us really can state with any certainty that Adalind was wrong? She may have spent the rest of her days terrified of the hexenbiest.

I don't know how Adalind lying about what the Hexenbiest does to a person would be beneficial to fighting for herself and her baby. She would only lie if she wanted Rosalee and Nick to believe her. It wouldn't be optimal if they wholeheartedly believed what she had to say because they would always be walking on eggshells around her at the very least. They would have the thought about Adalind being up to no good in the back of their minds.

Adalind may have still worried about the Hexenbiest in the future but there wasn't anything alarming happening since she got it back in the final season and a half. There was never a hint of her straying to the dark side. It's an assumption but I don't get the impression her Hexenbiest was a major problem for her in those twenty years.

It depends on whether you believe her when she confided her fear of the hexenbiest returning to Rosalee. If you believe it, then according to Adalind, the hexenbiest is in control. In other words, she's telling the truth.

If you don't believe it, then the only thing left is she's lying. There is no in between.

RE: Hexenbiestdom - FaceInTheCrowd - 07-23-2018

I wonder if the hexenbiest really takes control or just causes one to lose control. Because Adalind at her worst didn't really have any negative personality characteristics that can't be found in millions of ordinary human beings.

RE: Hexenbiestdom - dicappatore - 07-23-2018

I'm sitting back and reading some of these post of rehashing this again for what, the 3rd or 4th time on various posts? It is entertaining on how far some will dig to come up with excuses of behavior that there is no excuses for.

Juliette being a Hexenbiest was like someone being drunk. Some drunks just pass out and fall asleep. Some become real friendly and forget any other relationship. Their focus is in pursuit for self-gratification. Then there is the bad drunk, the violent drunk, the one that does stupid things that gets them jailed. Now, I don't claim all drunk fall in these specific categories but some do and most, more likely, are combinations of all 3 in varying degrees.

Someone pointed out to me years ago, being drunk was like drinking a truth serum. It removes all your inhibitions and frees one to act as their real uninhibited persona is really like, from deep inside.

Juliette became and was a bad drunk. A bad drunk, and power was her alcohol. It wasn't the Hex in her that made her evil. The Hex in her gave her the opportunity to be evil. There was no Hex possession of her. She was the one to possess the Hex in her by embracing what she became.

The only difference between a drunk and Juliette was, she did not choose to become a Hex. She did choose to drink the potion and unfortunately she became drunk with power. She did not plan on it, just like a drunk doesn't plan on being stupid before they get drunk.

She had choices to make and made poor ones. She should be held accountable for her choices of actions. Just as a drunk behind the wheel of a car after they kill someone. They might not have planned for it but in the end, they are the ones responsible for that kill.

Making all these excuses does not change the results and does not excuse her. Her character didn't either. Her way to live with her bad choices was to separate her self from her former persona. As Eve she was committed to to stamping out evil. How long would she have taken to stomp out her herself if she accepted how evil she once was?

RE: Hexenbiestdom - Hell Rell - 07-23-2018

(07-23-2018, 05:50 PM)irukandji Wrote: It depends on whether you believe her when she confided her fear of the hexenbiest returning to Rosalee. If you believe it, then according to Adalind, the hexenbiest is in control. In other words, she's telling the truth.

If you don't believe it, then the only thing left is she's lying. There is no in between.

I fully believed her fear about the Hexenbiest returning. I didn't believe her about what it does to a person but the fear was very real.

RE: Hexenbiestdom - FaceInTheCrowd - 07-23-2018

Hexenbiests losing and regaining their powers was probably not an everyday occurence with a lot shared experience to base a generalization. So Adalind was probably talking more about what she thought it would do to her.

RE: Hexenbiestdom - syscrash - 07-24-2018

dicappatore the drunk analogy was very apropo. The one difference I see is a drink thinks they have the ability to back up their actions. A hexenbiest has the ability to back up their actions.

RE: Hexenbiestdom - irukandji - 07-24-2018

(07-23-2018, 10:23 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: Hexenbiests losing and regaining their powers was probably not an everyday occurence with a lot shared experience to base a generalization. So Adalind was probably talking more about what she thought it would do to [i]her.

The audience was never given any indication she was speaking solely from her experience with Pech's biest. You pointed out something very interesting earlier. I'm paraphrasing here, but you indicated that when Adalind lost her hexenbiest, she immediately set out to get another. Her admission to Rosalee doesn't mesh with her determination to get another hexenbiest so quickly after losing the first one.

(07-23-2018, 08:36 PM)Hell Rell Wrote: I fully believed her fear about the Hexenbiest returning. I didn't believe her about what it does to a person but the fear was very real.

But what would this be based on? If Adalind was suffering from hexenbiest phobia, I don't know why she would even consider having her mother exhumed and working with her hexenbiest just to save Juliette.

RE: Hexenbiestdom - FaceInTheCrowd - 07-24-2018

Most wesen have never encountered a Grimm before, so unless there's some other way hexenbiests can have their powers taken, I'd expect everything that happens between them and Grimm's to be rarities bordering on legends.

Blaming their bad behavior on the hexenbiest is probably the hexenbiest equivalent of ™the devil made me do that.™

Adalind was trying to save herself and baby #2 by depowering Juliette.

RE: Hexenbiestdom - Hell Rell - 07-24-2018

(07-23-2018, 10:23 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: Hexenbiests losing and regaining their powers was probably not an everyday occurrence with a lot shared experience to base a generalization. So Adalind was probably talking more about what she thought it would do to her.

That's the point I was trying to make so that's why I didn't think Adalind was lying. The end result didn't erase what she really felt at the time.

(07-24-2018, 04:18 AM)irukandji Wrote: The audience was never given any indication she was speaking solely from her experience with Pech's biest. You pointed out something very interesting earlier. I'm paraphrasing here, but you indicated that when Adalind lost her hexenbiest, she immediately set out to get another. Her admission to Rosalee doesn't mesh with her determination to get another hexenbiest so quickly after losing the first one.

The Adalind of season 2 is different from the Adalind of season 5. That Adalind didn't have any children and wasn't even close to reforming yet. She felt her identity was tied up with the Hexenbiest and she felt loss and powerless. Remember that her mother and Renard disowned her when she lost it. That had to be the most devastating experience of her life so wanted to get her powers back.

However, things started to change when she had Diana. She had someone to worry about other than herself. She became the most important thing in her world. Diana then was taken from her and that became the most devastating experience of her life. She then had Kelly. Adalind now had a family that was much better than the one she used to have and her Hexenbiest wasn't what she felt defined her anymore.

Adalind simply changed over time. Her priorities shifted. She didn't want her Hexenbiest back because she truly felt like it caused a lot of harm looking back at her life.