Grimm Forum
Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm (/Thread-Who-is-the-worst-most-corrupt-cop-on-Grimm)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - eric - 01-07-2018

(01-07-2018, 02:39 PM)Hell Rell Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 01:57 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: TV typically portrays cops as mavericks who buck authority and even break laws in order to make "justice" happen by the end of a 40 minute episode. I doubt that that aspect of the series format got very much thought at all. Except for the supernatural aspects, Grimm was a pretty formulaic TV cop show.

I haven't watched the Lethal Weapon show but the movies were pretty much built off of this as well as the Die Hard series. Plenty of cops, as well as doctors on TV do things that are frowned upon to get the desired results. This also extends to the FBI.
On most TV shows where a character's profession is mentioned-police, fireman, doctor, taxi driver-the show does not usually attempt to make how the character does his work reflect how real cops, doctors etc do theirs. I would never want to go to Seattle Grace for an operation, those doctors are too concerned about hooking up and fighting about personal issues while cutting people open. Paperwork eats up a lot of a cop's day, Nick and Hank almost never did it. In Taxi the drivers mostly sat around the garage taking--how did they get tips to make ends meet? Movies and TV are escapes, who wants to see real cops take days or weeks before they have enough evidence to arrest a person of interest?

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Hell Rell - 01-07-2018

(01-07-2018, 04:09 PM)eric Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 02:39 PM)Hell Rell Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 01:57 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: TV typically portrays cops as mavericks who buck authority and even break laws in order to make "justice" happen by the end of a 40 minute episode. I doubt that that aspect of the series format got very much thought at all. Except for the supernatural aspects, Grimm was a pretty formulaic TV cop show.

I haven't watched the Lethal Weapon show but the movies were pretty much built off of this as well as the Die Hard series. Plenty of cops, as well as doctors on TV do things that are frowned upon to get the desired results. This also extends to the FBI.
On most TV shows where a character's profession is mentioned-police, fireman, doctor, taxi driver-the show does not usually attempt to make how the character does his work reflect how real cops, doctors etc do theirs. I would never want to go to Seattle Grace for an operation, those doctors are too concerned about hooking up and fighting about personal issues while cutting people open. Paperwork eats up a lot of a cop's day, Nick and Hank almost never did it. In Taxi the drivers mostly sat around the garage taking--how did they get tips to make ends meet? Movies and TV are escapes, who wants to see real cops take days or weeks before they have enough evidence to arrest a person of interest?

I actually find TV doctors funnier than TV cops. House and his crew were notorious for throwing out the book and I laughed whenever someone said they would want a doctor like House. House wouldn't even be allowed to practice medicine for a tenth of the stuff he did and would be extremely fortunate not to end up in prison much longer than he was in the show.

The Wire was revolutionary for showing how much minutiae the cops had to go through to solve a case and we know that isn't exactly what cops have to go through in reality although closer than most shows.

Fantasy shows usually involve a superhero or someone with magical powers and that often has the effect of showing police as more incompetent than corrupt. They can't actually be allowed to defeat the bad guys in nearly every instance because that's the hero's job and they have to show why the hero is needed. Most of Batman's rogues gallery is made up of normal humans but they run circles around the cops until Batman shows up to save the day. So it's completely understandable why Nick needs to do what he does because he's dealing with Wesen.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - irukandji - 01-08-2018

This being the case, why then do so many on this thread alone single out Renard as the most corrupt cop on the show?

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Henry of green - 01-08-2018

Renard is a corrupt police official to satisfy his own greed for power and wealth that’s why he profits from his corruption Nick doesn’t , Renard was allowing drug addicts to be sent to thier deaths at the wesen gladiator games and making a profit out of whole scheme. You can make excuses for Renard all you want but even Sasha’s Roiz and Jim Kouf have said Renard cares for power above all else.

This is what Face In the Crowd stated:
Quote:TV typically portrays cops as mavericks who buck authority and even break laws in order to make "justice" happen by the end of a 40 minute episode. I doubt that that aspect of the series format got very much thought at all. Except for the supernatural aspects, Grimm was a pretty formulaic TV cop show.

In other words, the writers behind Grimm gave no thought to whether the cops in the show are corrupt or not. They're just generic components to the show.

*What I am saying* is that if cops are just generic components to the show, then why is Renard viewed as a corrupt?

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Robyn - 01-08-2018

Quote:Not really. Fudging reports, murdering suspects, torture, coercion, etc. The list goes on and on. Not really in keeping with grimm who's masquerading as a cop. As a cop, he's supposed to be part of the good guys.
Within the show’s premise of a Grimm being necessary to combat evil Wesen, Nick was the good guy. Other than those written as bad guys/Wesen, characters saw Nick as the good guy/hero. He wasn’t beating up or killing humans resisting arrest. The show only pitted him against Wesen, and death typically only occurred when the Wesen character was written as too dangerous/extreme for conventional justice. The idea of one person dispensing judgment and lethal sentencing doesn’t fit within a traditional cop show, but it does within a fantasy show about a primitive world that defies traditional justice.

Quote:I haven't watched the Lethal Weapon show but the movies were pretty much built off of this as well as the Die Hard series. Plenty of cops, as well as doctors, on TV do things that are frowned upon to get the desired results. This also extends to the FBI.
For me, the main component missing from Grimm were characters who frowned upon Nick’s Grimm method to various degrees, depending on the situation. The characters’ cult-like mentality was a negative for me. My opinion of the gang taking Adalind’s baby might have been less negative had any of them actually questioned what they were about to do and their right to do it before concluding it was the best option available for all concerned. Rosalee selling out the doctor who dealt with Wesen experiencing dementia was another sore spot for me. She and Monroe explained to Nick that it was a deep-rooted and personal Wesen tradition/method. But Rosalee tricked the doctor into meeting with and yielding to Nick/the Grimm method rather than having a respectful and honest conversation with him concerning Nick’s willingness to help.

Quote:This being the case, why then do so many on this thread alone single out Renard as the most corrupt cop on the show?
One of the biggest explanations I recall in negative opinions of Renard is the motivation behind his actions. Renard’s are seen as self-serving while Nick’s are seen as addressing the greater good. It boils down to interpretation and how far a viewer accepts the good guy can cross the line for the greater good.

But like any show that focuses on the central character, Grimm set up a premise that Nick is acting for the greater good. He’s not circumventing police procedures because he’s on the take, lazy, or aiming for a political future. And while murdering Kenneth is still questionable to many, the show placed Nick in an extreme emotional situation before having him cross that particular line.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-08-2018

(01-08-2018, 05:49 AM)irukandji Wrote: In other words, the writers behind Grimm gave no thought to whether the cops in the show are corrupt or not. They're just generic components to the show.

*What I am saying* is that if cops are just generic components to the show, then why is Renard viewed as a corrupt?

Probably because generic TV cops who aren't considered corrupt don't take bribes, order the murders of their subordinates' relatives or conspire with people who commit political assassinations as part of their plots to take over the world. Renard was simply a corrupt person in general, and being a corrupt cop was incidental to that.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Hell Rell - 01-08-2018

(01-08-2018, 05:25 AM)irukandji Wrote:

This being the case, why then do so many on this thread alone single out Renard as the most corrupt cop on the show?

It has everything to do with him being the most corrupt cop. It's not a contradiction. Renard did most of the things he did to help himself rather than help others. Unlike most of the rogue/maverick cops, he wasn't doing them to get justice.

(01-08-2018, 10:21 AM)Hell Rell Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 05:25 AM)irukandji Wrote:

It has everything to do with him being the most corrupt cop. It's not a contradiction. Renard did most of the things he did to help himself rather than help others. Unlike most of the rogue/maverick cops, he wasn't doing them to get justice.

I wasn't talking about how Renard is the most corrupt cop. What I'm saying is if being in law enforcement is just a generic occupation and has nothing to do with grimness and/or wesen, then why would Renard or Nick be corrupt?

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Hell Rell - 01-08-2018

(01-08-2018, 11:10 AM)irukandji Wrote: I wasn't talking about how Renard is the most corrupt cop. What I'm saying is if being in law enforcement is just a generic occupation and has nothing to do with grimness and/or wesen, then why would Renard or Nick be corrupt?

Renard would still be the most corrupt even if you were to use that criteria. He ran for mayor using the backing of the organization that he knows killed the other candidate. He let Dixon's murderers get away with it so he could personally benefit from his death and used the vast resources of his precinct to hunt down Nick so he could cover his own ass. That's only a couple of the things he did where he used his position as captain for personal gain.

Furthermore, I'm not going down a road that attempts to absolve Renard. There are dozens of reasons to cite for him being the most corrupt cop. I'm not veering that far off-track.