Grimm Forum
Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm (/Thread-Who-is-the-worst-most-corrupt-cop-on-Grimm)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Robyn - 01-06-2018

(01-06-2018, 08:40 AM)irukandji Wrote: Grimm characters have layers. The series wouldn't have lasted 6 seasons if they didn't. But, to me, corruption just a character trait, the same as goodness.
If Nick had layers he’d be a man, a detective, and a Grimm struggling to reconciles his desires and obligations, sometimes winning and sometimes failing, not just a corrupt cop because he dismissed one facet of the whole.

On the forum we discuss multiple aspects driving and shaping the characters. On the show Nick was a Grimm, first and foremost. There was fallout, but specific fallout ended with the storyline without any profound change or self examination for Nick or the other characters except when a new storyline required different attitudes & behavior.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - irukandji - 01-06-2018

I don't agree. The characters had layers. If they didn't there wouldn't be the discussions on the forum because there'd be nothing to say about them. If one wants to believe that the characters are simply elements in the storyline rather than the other way around, that's fine. I don't find that to be true. None of the characters exhibit deep signs of deep thinking. But they're not in the same realm as a prop on the series. With the exception of baby Kelly in the later episodes, lol.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - rpmaluki - 01-06-2018

(01-06-2018, 09:16 AM)Robyn Wrote: On the forum we discuss multiple aspects driving and shaping the characters. On the show Nick was a Grimm, first and foremost. There was fallout, but specific fallout ended with the storyline without any profound change or self examination for Nick or the other characters except when a new storyline required different attitudes & behavior.
I don't think this is entirely true as seen in the episode Eve ended up in hospital and the conversation between her and Nick in the other world. Nick wasn't as flat a character as he appeared. There's also a deleted scene between him and Hank just before they question El Cuegle over the kidnapping of the baby. Hank comments about Kelly being lucky to have a father like Nick, a Grimm and Nick with tears in his eyes said he didn't think so.

This show isn't Shakespeare but I don't think it's completely vapid either. It has shown glimpses of promise that were tragically left unexplored to their fullest potential.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Robyn - 01-06-2018

(01-06-2018, 09:43 AM)rpmaluki Wrote: I don't think this is entirely true as seen in the episode Eve ended up in hospital and the conversation between her and Nick in the other world. Nick wasn't as flat a character as he appeared. There's also a deleted scene between him and Hank just before they question El Cuegle over the kidnapping of the baby. Hank comments about Kelly being lucky to have a father like Nick, a Grimm and Nick with tears in his eyes said he didn't think so.

This show isn't Shakespeare but I don't think it's completely vapid either. It has shown glimpses of promise that were tragically left unexplored to their fullest potential.
The characters were driven by drama and action created for a storyline rather than the characters experiences and evolution driving their stories. I wasn’t suggesting that the characters never changed or learned from past experiences to any degree, but those lessons learned weren’t used to determined their trajectories.

Nick was temporarily conflicted with the difference in Grimm & law enforcement methods, but he didn’t have a crucial moment where he seriously contemplated giving up one for the other. To me, that indicates that the character didn’t personally identify with either lifestyle/profession. The same with Juliette. Nick wanted to marry her despite being a Grimm, and he intended to propose without first telling her the truth. Although Juliette explained that she wouldn’t marry him because he was obviously keeping secrets, Nick didn’t have a crucial moment where he seriously considered being a Grimm wasn’t worth losing Juliette or that the greater good was more important than their relationship. He continued to maintain the relationship and his secret life until Adalind’s spell made it impossible to continue.

Juliette - Nick finally tells her the truth, after she’s been victimize by the near death fallout of Nick’s Grimm world. Her response is to want to know more and to become an active part of this bizarre and dangerous world Nick is telling her about. That Juliette would eventually grasp the importance of Nick being a Grimm, and why he was committed to it is completely believable. That she wouldn’t initially react as most any human would - a man who supposedly loved her wouldn’t have exposed her to such horrific danger, and she needed time away from Nick to figure things out - isn’t believable in a character driven story.

There were quite a few negative comments that the amnesia arc drug on too long and was boring. I think some of that negativity stemmed from the lack of growth and change for the characters in their personal lives. Other than Juliette knowing about the Grimm/Wesen world, it was Grimm work as usual.

G & K’s show was about Nick, the Grimm. They didn’t devote time and energy to him reconciling with a secret bizarre world, he closed a case as a Grimm in the pilot episode. They wanted woe is me drama for the Nick/Juliette relationship, but they didn’t want to devote time and energy to the relationship faltering before the characters figured out how to make it work despite Nick being a Grimm.

Diana’s kidnapping, Juliette becoming a Hexenbiest, the destruction of Nick/Juliette, Adalind having Nick’s child should have been a whopping big deal for the characters to overcome. But the Juliette/Nick/Adalind/Diana fallout wasn’t addressed because Juliette effectively became Eve at the same time the possibility of Nick/Adalind occurred, and the kidnapping was a deterrent to story flow.

G & K kept the characters and their personal woes in neat packages, bringing out whatever for a particular story and tucking it back inside when finished with it. That’s not really multifaceted, that’s watching the characters move along in a specific story. I don't think Grimm is worse than most shows that sacrifice characters as needed. So I'm not suggesting Grimm failed compared to other shows, I just talking about the format G & K used didn't allow much room for character driven storylines.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Hell Rell - 01-06-2018

If G&K were taking potshots at cops, it would be the most subtle and nuanced thing the show has ever done. There didn't appear to be that type of agenda as far as I can tell. I can honestly say I don't know how they felt about the police one way or the other.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - irukandji - 01-07-2018

(01-06-2018, 11:32 AM)Hell Rell Wrote: If G&K were taking potshots at cops, it would be the most subtle and nuanced thing the show has ever done. There didn't appear to be that type of agenda as far as I can tell. I can honestly say I don't know how they felt about the police one way or the other.

Not really. Fudging reports, murdering suspects, torture, coercion, etc. The list goes on and on. Not really in keeping with a grimm who's supposed to be a good guy.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - rpmaluki - 01-07-2018

(01-07-2018, 12:39 PM)irukandji Wrote:
(01-06-2018, 11:32 AM)Hell Rell Wrote: If G&K were taking potshots at cops, it would be the most subtle and nuanced thing the show has ever done. There didn't appear to be that type of agenda as far as I can tell. I can honestly say I don't know how they felt about the police one way or the other.

Not really. Fudging reports, murdering suspects, torture, coercion, etc. The list goes on and on. Not really in keeping with a grimm who's supposed to be a good guy.
Don't you mean cop?

As far as the show was concerned Grimms were the good guys. Killing wesen was their thing and Nick did that some to most of the time, not always.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-07-2018

TV typically portrays cops as mavericks who buck authority and even break laws in order to make "justice" happen by the end of a 40 minute episode. I doubt that that aspect of the series format got very much thought at all. Except for the supernatural aspects, Grimm was a pretty formulaic TV cop show.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - irukandji - 01-07-2018

(01-07-2018, 01:12 PM)rpmaluki Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 12:39 PM)irukandji Wrote:
Don't you mean cop?

As far as the show was concerned Grimms were the good guys. Killing wesen was their thing and Nick did that some to most of the time, not always.

Let me rephrase:

Not really. Fudging reports, murdering suspects, torture, coercion, etc. The list goes on and on. Not really in keeping with grimm who's masquerading as a cop. As a cop, he's supposed to be part of the good guys.

Better?

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Hell Rell - 01-07-2018

(01-07-2018, 01:57 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: TV typically portrays cops as mavericks who buck authority and even break laws in order to make "justice" happen by the end of a 40 minute episode. I doubt that that aspect of the series format got very much thought at all. Except for the supernatural aspects, Grimm was a pretty formulaic TV cop show.

I haven't watched the Lethal Weapon show but the movies were pretty much built off of this as well as the Die Hard series. Plenty of cops, as well as doctors, on TV do things that are frowned upon to get the desired results. This also extends to the FBI.