Grimm Forum
Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm (/Thread-Who-is-the-worst-most-corrupt-cop-on-Grimm)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - eric - 01-04-2018

(01-04-2018, 07:19 AM)Robyn Wrote: Early on I considered Nick, as well as Hank & Wu, bad cops because I saw Nick as a cop who became a Grimm and was loyal to being a Grimm first. But later I realized the show presented Nick as a Grimm who happen to be a cop. Nick became a Grimm within minutes of being introduced as a human modern day detective. We didn’t see Nick without the Grimm influence other than a brief glimpse of him buying an engagement ring and excited about proposing. After that, the show thrust Nick completely into the Grimm/Wesen world.

The reality is that the show was about Nick, the Grimm not Nick, the detective who was a Grimm during his off time. Beginning with the first episode, a Wesen was the culprit in every case Nick & Hank had. Even before Hank new about the Grimm/Wesen world, they were presented as a Grimm and his partner rather that two detectives investigating cases.

So while I would have preferred the show not make Nick a detective when it had no intentions of exploring the police side of his life & experiences, I understand that G & K were presenting their story of a Grimm who happen to be a detective in Portland. And that they didn’t want to bog down their storytelling by even having the human cops, Hank and Wu, struggle over the blurred lines between Grimm law and human law made the show look even more disrespectful to law enforcement. But I still don’t think they intended to be disrespectful. I just don’t think they gave much consideration to the human law side of the equation other than it providing a source of information in Nick’s Wesen cases.

Grimm was never about exploring the bigger picture, blurred lines, or the concept of right and wrong. It was a collection of cool action stories about a Grimm battling evil Wesen. Period. And when a storyline occasionally appeared to offer a deeper element, those references dissipated once the storyline didn’t need them.
Ditto

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - irukandji - 01-04-2018

(01-04-2018, 07:19 AM)Robyn Wrote: And that they didn’t want to bog down their storytelling by even having the human cops, Hank and Wu, struggle over the blurred lines between Grimm law and human law made the show look even more disrespectful to law enforcement. But I still don’t think they intended to be disrespectful. I just don’t think they gave much consideration to the human law side of the equation other than it providing a source of information in Nick’s Wesen cases.

If you consider Nick and company a shade of dark gray in a black and evil world, I would to tend to agree. In other words, they do what they have to do, with no consequences to themselves or anyone else. For Nick, it's all the same to him if he kills or is killed. Dog eat dog so to speak. There really is no good or no evil. As eric stated, it's natural for grimms to kill wesen and that's what Nick is doing.

However, if Nick is considered a hero and thus, the good guy, then I most definitely disagree. In that instance G&K would have to consider the good, whether he's doing his grimm thing or being a law enforcement officer. I personally think they consider Nick a good guy and deliberately trashed the law enforcement angle by showing him as a corrupt cop.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - dicappatore - 01-05-2018

(01-03-2018, 11:33 AM)New Guy Wrote:
(01-03-2018, 08:08 AM)eric Wrote:
(01-03-2018, 05:42 AM)irukandji Wrote: Actually, I can see where you'd be upset that other definitions of the word were found. I don't get why the dictionary that's most often quoted, Merriam-Webster, was not used, however.
This is the crux of the problem: there is more than one definition of the word corrupt. Some see corrupt cops as ones who extort or who use their position for personal gain. I have known several law enforcement and elected officials who were corrupt according to that use the word. Personally, I see Nick not so much as corrupt as being a rouge cop, going outside the accepted/legal limits to deal with criminals--Nick, Hank, Wu, Dirty Harry are rouges, Renard is corrupt, one who allowed or ordered murder in order to line his pockets or gain political power. There is more than one way to describe a person, the word you choose depends upon how you view their actions and their motives. Killing the reapers and burying their bodies to hide them, is that corrupt or rogue?
Hi Eric,
Clint Eastwood's best line ever!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ishbTwXf1g
[Image: go-ahead-make-my-day_ed.jpg]
I guess you should ask the restaurant patrons and the waitress if Harry was corrupt or rogue.
N G

"Go ahead, make my day" You for got the critical word in that. It's "Make my day PUNK". OMG, how can you leave out "PUNK"? Well not you but the photo editor.

(01-04-2018, 07:19 AM)Robyn Wrote: Early on I considered Nick, as well as Hank & Wu, bad cops because I saw Nick as a cop who became a Grimm and was loyal to being a Grimm first. But later I realized the show presented Nick as a Grimm who happen to be a cop. Nick became a Grimm within minutes of being introduced as a human modern day detective. We didn’t see Nick without the Grimm influence other than a brief glimpse of him buying an engagement ring and excited about proposing. After that, the show thrust Nick completely into the Grimm/Wesen world.

The reality is that the show was about Nick, the Grimm not Nick, the detective who was a Grimm during his off time. Beginning with the first episode, a Wesen was the culprit in every case Nick & Hank had. Even before Hank new about the Grimm/Wesen world, they were presented as a Grimm and his partner rather that two detectives investigating cases.

So while I would have preferred the show not make Nick a detective when it had no intentions of exploring the police side of his life & experiences, I understand that G & K were presenting their story of a Grimm who happen to be a detective in Portland. And that they didn’t want to bog down their storytelling by even having the human cops, Hank and Wu, struggle over the blurred lines between Grimm law and human law made the show look even more disrespectful to law enforcement. But I still don’t think they intended to be disrespectful. I just don’t think they gave much consideration to the human law side of the equation other than it providing a source of information in Nick’s Wesen cases.

Grimm was never about exploring the bigger picture, blurred lines, or the concept of right and wrong. It was a collection of cool action stories about a Grimm battling evil Wesen. Period. And when a storyline occasionally appeared to offer a deeper element, those references dissipated once the storyline didn’t need them.

Gee Robyn, I guess we were watching the same show called Grimm. Great post!

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Robyn - 01-05-2018

(01-04-2018, 09:24 AM)irukandji Wrote: If you consider Nick and company a shade of dark gray in a black and evil world, I would to tend to agree. In other words, they do what they have to do, with no consequences to themselves or anyone else. For Nick, it's all the same to him if he kills or is killed. Dog eat dog so to speak. There really is no good or no evil. As eric stated, it's natural for grimms to kill wesen and that's what Nick is doing.

However, if Nick is considered a hero and thus, the good guy, then I most definitely disagree. In that instance G&K would have to consider the good, whether he's doing his grimm thing or being a law enforcement officer. I personally think they consider Nick a good guy and deliberately trashed the law enforcement angle by showing him as a corrupt cop.

I wasn’t speaking of my personal opinion of Nick and Grimm ideology, only my interpretation of G & K’s intent. I don’t think G & K deliberately presented Nick as a corrupt cop or trashed law enforcement because I don’t think they gave any consideration to modern day law enforcement other than Nick utilizing it’s beneficial resources. G & K said in an interview that the central character wasn’t a detective in their original vision, it was added at the network’s request. So I think they added the work environment aspect to appease the network but kept their original concept for the character intact.

G & K focused on the central character and the Grimm/Wesen world they created. In their story’s fictional setting, the Grimm is the hero/good guy. Every supporting character was deemed good or bad based on his/her actions & attitude toward Nick. If G & K gave any consideration to law enforcement they would have had Hank and/or Wu challenge Nick and the Grimm method on the principle of professional & personal ethics, but they didn’t even when it came to premeditated murder. The show began with three human characters. At the end of the fourth season there were two. At the end of the fifth season there was one. The show didn't address humans outside the Grimm/Wesen world or manmade laws. The single common denominator in the 'good guys' was that everyone was loyal to and admired Nick, the Grimm.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - irukandji - 01-05-2018

What is your personal opinion, Robyn? I would be interested in reading it.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - brandon - 01-05-2018

They admired him because like every human being he also has his defects and virtues.
they did not see it as a god

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Robyn - 01-05-2018

My personal opinion is that Grimm didn’t address real life in any capacity - law enforcement, politics/government, interpersonal interaction, relationships, family, cultures, etc, etc, etc.

Personally, I would have preferred the show capitalize on fairytale type characters existing in the modern world and human characters learning to understand then deciding to accept or reject their ideology without the show using acceptance & rejection as the litmus test for good. For me, there was a bounty of readily available conflicts to explore.

However, I wouldn’t have preferred a show that emphasized law enforcement always being in a positive light. No matter the characters or setting, being realistic requires a believable level of gray. Given the right circumstances, anyone can be unpredictable and contradict their personal moral compass.

Whether the show presented law enforcement as corrupt, intentionally or unintentionally, doesn’t matter to me. I really only care that the characters’ attitudes and actions are believable. And for me, the secondary characters matching the central character’s attitude to such an overwhelming degree wasn’t believable. Their personal experiences and cultural influences were too vast, and the stakes were too high for a constant singular point of view to be realistic.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - irukandji - 01-05-2018

Thanks Robyn. I appreciate the honesty. For me, Nick will always be the consummate, corrupt cop. Personally, in this day and age, I think G&K were taking potshots at the legal system, specifically highlighting the law enforcement officers.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Robyn - 01-06-2018

They may have. Many show creators and networks use TV & movie to promote their personal ideology. G &K and/or NBC could have and I just didn’t pick up on it.

I only know G & K for their work on Grimm and G’s work on Angel & Miracles, so don’t mean this disrespectfully, but I never got the impression G & K had anything to say beyond their narrow concept of the fictional Grimm/Wesen interrelationship that made it into aired episodes. Which is why I’ve responded before that Grimm is best viewed at face value because there aren’t any layers to peel back and reveal deeper meaning.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - irukandji - 01-06-2018

(01-06-2018, 07:31 AM)Robyn Wrote: They may have. Many show creators and networks use TV & movie to promote their personal ideology. G &K and/or NBC could have and I just didn’t pick up on it.

I only know G & K for their work on Grimm and G’s work on Angel & Miracles, so don’t mean this disrespectfully, but I never got the impression G & K had anything to say beyond their narrow concept of the fictional Grimm/Wesen interrelationship that made it into aired episodes. Which is why I’ve responded before that Grimm is best viewed at face value because there aren’t any layers to peel back and reveal deeper meaning.

Grimm characters have layers. The series wouldn't have lasted 6 seasons if they didn't. But, to me, corruption just a character trait, the same as goodness.