Grimm Forum
Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm (/Thread-Who-is-the-worst-most-corrupt-cop-on-Grimm)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - New Guy - 01-03-2018

(01-02-2018, 06:41 PM)irukandji Wrote: Hmmmm......apparently some only wish to provide their own definitions of corrupt.

Here's what I found as the definitions of corrupt:

a : to change from good to bad in morals, manners, or actions ·
b : to degrade with unsound principles or moral values ·

Going to a suspect's house armed with a bow and arrow to force him to talk seems to me to qualify as an unsound principle. Note the definitions I quoted above state nothing about personal gain or acting in return for money.

And this is from Merriam Webster, which I understood was the dictionary of choice. Imagine that.
If your child departs from good manners and belches at the dinner table has she become corrupt? Imagine that! LOL Big Grin

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - irukandji - 01-03-2018

Actually, I can see where you'd be upset that other definitions of the word were found. I don't get why the dictionary that's most often quoted, Merriam-Webster, was not used, however.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - eric - 01-03-2018

(01-03-2018, 05:42 AM)irukandji Wrote: Actually, I can see where you'd be upset that other definitions of the word were found. I don't get why the dictionary that's most often quoted, Merriam-Webster, was not used, however.
This is the crux of the problem: there is more than one definition of the word corrupt. Some see corrupt cops as ones who extort or who use their position for personal gain. I have known several law enforcement and elected officials who were corrupt according to that use the word. Personally, I see Nick not so much as corrupt as being a rouge cop, going outside the accepted/legal limits to deal with criminals--Nick, Hank, Wu, Dirty Harry are rouges, Renard is corrupt, one who allowed or ordered murder in order to line his pockets or gain political power. There is more than one way to describe a person, the word you choose depends upon how you view their actions and their motives. Killing the reapers and burying their bodies to hide them, is that corrupt or rogue?

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Henry of green - 01-03-2018

Renard murderd people in his own precinct who were suppose to be under his protection, you don’t get any worse than that and he was conspiring with Black claw to murder thousands of innocents in Portland if they didn’t join Black claw. He was taking bribes from criminals and supplying names of drug addicts to Leo the lowen to be murdered in a gladiator racket ,Nick can’t even come close to that level of evil and corruption and unlike Renard Nick showed regret for his wrong actions Renard never really did. I consider some of Nicks actions to be corrupt but to put him in the same league as Renard is laughable nonsense.

What I also find laughable is the idea some have that Nick wasn’t liked by the other cops in his precinct. When he was clearly popular enough in the precinct to be given a hero’s welcome in 6x04. Also Franco was horrified to discover Renard was after Nick and even warned Hank and Wu to tell Nick to flee the country as he didn’t want to take down one of his own.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - New Guy - 01-03-2018

Hi Forum,
I pulled out my "Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary" 1967 printing. Unfortunately, the internet version:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/corrupt
only defines the verb "corrupt" so I will attempt to replicate the adjective's definition:
Quote:Corrupt adj:
1.a : morally perverted : DEPRAVED
1.b : characterized by bribery, the selling of political favors, or other improper conduct
2. archaic : TAINTED, PUTRID
The proper noun is corrupter or corruptor.
Google narrows the definition for the discussion at hand as:
Quote:Police corruption. Police corruption is a form of police misconduct in which law enforcement officers end up breaking their political contract and abuse their power for personal or departmental gain. This type of corruption can involve only one officer, or it can involve a group of officers.
N G

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Hell Rell - 01-03-2018

(01-03-2018, 08:57 AM)Henry of green Wrote: What I also find laughable is the idea some have that Nick wasn’t liked by the other cops in his precinct. When he was clearly popular enough in the precinct to be given a hero’s welcome in 6x04. Also Franco was horrified to discover Renard was after Nick and even warned Hank and Wu to tell Nick to flee the country as he didn’t want to take down one of his own.

I have no idea where that one came from because there was nothing that even hinted to that being close to the truth. People have their own view of corrupt so I can see where that originated even if I disagree with it but saying other cops didn't like or respect Nick is projecting personal feelings onto the characters. There is ample evidence that was never the case.

(01-03-2018, 08:08 AM)eric Wrote:
(01-03-2018, 05:42 AM)irukandji Wrote: Actually, I can see where you'd be upset that other definitions of the word were found. I don't get why the dictionary that's most often quoted, Merriam-Webster, was not used, however.
This is the crux of the problem: there is more than one definition of the word corrupt. Some see corrupt cops as ones who extort or who use their position for personal gain. I have known several law enforcement and elected officials who were corrupt according to that use the word. Personally, I see Nick not so much as corrupt as being a rouge cop, going outside the accepted/legal limits to deal with criminals--Nick, Hank, Wu, Dirty Harry are rouges, Renard is corrupt, one who allowed or ordered murder in order to line his pockets or gain political power. There is more than one way to describe a person, the word you choose depends upon how you view their actions and their motives. Killing the reapers and burying their bodies to hide them, is that corrupt or rogue?

eric, there is no room on the force for "rogue" cops, especially if they're teamed up with a partner. Rogue antics end up getting others killed. That's why there are rules for cops to follow. Nick wants to be a grimm, all fine and good. But he should not be a cop because it's clear he cannot maintain his oath or follow the rules to protect not only those who might be on assignment with him, but the general public as well.

Izzy was absolutely correct with regard to the brotherhood. Nick's corruption would not be tolerated. It would be too easy for his corruption to end in the death of other cops. Renard, on the other hand, is management. So he's corrupt, so what? Most of the brotherhood wouldn't even give that a second thought.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - rpmaluki - 01-03-2018

I don't see Nick as a corrupt individual. He did a lot to put criminals behind bars using his extra sensory skills not made public and under extreme conditions where he had no other choice, he killed. I can see his actions as a perversion of the human laws in order to exact justice for victims that they would never receive conventionally because of the hidden nature of wesen.

However, Renard's character is corrupt pretty much right through. Everything he does is almost entirely for self gain. He works the people around him for that purpose to varying degrees. Even doing the right thing at times was tainted by how it suited him in the long run.

It'd be interesting to see how Nick's antics would be viewed if someone or perhaps some people just happened to catch him on their cell phones.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Hell Rell - 01-03-2018

Renard is clearly the most corrupt cop. He's done things for personal gain and things that endangered the lives, or at least the lifestyle, of his force. I'm pretty sure that him joining up with BC would not be a good thing for his officers nor the citizens of Portland. Remember that there was an entire precinct of BC cops that Renard would've had influence over as mayor.

Renard is also the same guy that used the majority of his precinct's resources to hunt down Nick to cover his own ass. He went so far as to issue a shoot-on-sight order. Renard was using his power and manipulating his officers to do his dirty work for him.

As for cops like Nick doing some unsavory things not being tolerated because of the brotherhood, The Wire showed that it was more complicated than that. Some will condone your actions while others are against you. McNulty did many things outside of the box and he's what I would consider a rogue cop. Some of his fellow officers saw the value in what he did while others were never on board. The ones that saw his value were just as much a part of the brotherhood as the ones who disagreed. Other cops wouldn't have covered for him if there was no room for rogue cops.

Of course, The Wire was a much better written show so they showed the consequences of these actions. On the other hand, they also showed that no good deed goes unpunished and the dangers of always playing it by the book. It was very interesting to see the merits of both. I'm strictly talking about within the confines of the show rather than applying it to reality because that would be a different conversation.