Grimm Forum
Why Nick and Adalind clicked - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Why Nick and Adalind clicked (/Thread-Why-Nick-and-Adalind-clicked)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - Robyn - 09-04-2017

The term Stockholm Syndrome has mainly been used to explain a person developing an emotional attachment to his/her kidnapper, but I think too much emphasis is being directed to the idea that it can’t occur unless there’s been an actual legally defined kidnapping. Nick and Adalind weren’t physically forced or threatened by one another into cohabitation. But their initial union was forced by their need to survive and protect their child from an immediate threat.

While Adalind wasn’t physically forced to remain with Nick once Juliette was no longer a threat, she didn’t have the necessary means to survive without his support and protection. Adalind was dependent on Nick for the barest of necessities, especially if she wanted to keep her son with her. I don’t see Adalind believing that Nick would actually allow her to take Kelly and leave even if she had the means to support them. So although Nick was kind and respectful to Adalind, if she was only with him because she didn’t have the means to change her situation there’s still a sense of being trapped.

Nick was in the same emotional boat. A child with a reviled enemy, forced to choose between taking another child from the woman or creating an environment that kept mother and child together and safe. Nick wasn’t physically forced to do anything, but his compulsion to do the right thing trapped him in a situation he didn’t want to be in. All this on the heels of the violent destruction of the relationship he wanted and the gruesome death of his mother would cause a sense of being trapped.

Nick and Adalind believed the Juliette who wanted to kill them had returned, which spurred them to bond over a shared threat. That hurried fast forward leap progressed the relationship beyond what it was ready for. Without that new and immediate threat, they could have made a gradual transition to a healthy relationship/partnership.

So I’m not suggesting that either was literally and physically held hostage against his/her will, but that both were held hostage by an overwhelming situation.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - wesen - 09-04-2017

(09-04-2017, 08:19 AM)Robyn Wrote: Nick and Adalind believed the Juliette who wanted to kill them had returned, which spurred them to bond over a shared threat. That hurried fast forward leap progressed the relationship beyond what it was ready for. Without that new and immediate threat, they could have made a gradual transition to a healthy relationship/partnership.
They did transition to a healthy relationship/partnership though. They overcame their trust issues, were mutually supportive and understanding of each other, and stayed together for 20 years, working as a team with their children in fighting off evil wesen. Significantly, neither ended up resenting the other for getting tied down to each other because of their child. I have actually heard and read stories of similar circumstances that Nick and Adalind went through, where the couple end up getting married (usually forced by both families) because they didn't want their families reputation disgraced due of their out of wedlock situation. In a lot of cases, the couple were either too young, not ready to settle down yet, and ended up resenting each other. Domestic violence, marital conflict and divorce were not unusual in those cases.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - rpmaluki - 09-04-2017

(09-04-2017, 03:00 PM)wesen Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 08:19 AM)Robyn Wrote: Nick and Adalind believed the Juliette who wanted to kill them had returned, which spurred them to bond over a shared threat. That hurried fast forward leap progressed the relationship beyond what it was ready for. Without that new and immediate threat, they could have made a gradual transition to a healthy relationship/partnership.
They did transition to a healthy relationship/partnership though. They overcame their trust issues, were mutually supportive and understanding of each other, and stayed together for 20 years, working as a team with their children in fighting off evil wesen. Significantly, neither ended up resenting the other for getting tied down to each other because of their child. I have actually heard and read stories of similar circumstances that Nick and Adalind went through, where the couple end up getting married (usually forced by both families) because they didn't want their families reputation disgraced due of their out of wedlock situation. In a lot of cases, the couple were either too young, not ready to settle down yet, and ended up resenting each other. Domestic violence, marital conflict and divorce were not unusual in those cases.
I think people forget how easily things could have gone south between these two with everything practically working against them having a genuine, healthy loving relationship but they got it right, against the odds. For them to last two decades is a miracle in itself. Couples with lesser baggage have been known not to survive past the "baby made them do it" stage of the relationship. It's easy for bitterness and resentment to set in because of the loss of independence due to being "forced" into that situation.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - irukandji - 12-22-2017

(09-03-2017, 06:15 PM)wesen Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 07:05 AM)dicappatore Wrote: IMO, the “Stockholm Syndrome” is so far off base, is like someone scoring a soccer goal at a baseball game. Adalind was not kidnapped nor held against her will. I don’t know who brought up that subject, but let’s be real. Where was the “Brainwashing” and forced to live as a captive with Nick that took place in Adalind’s life?

If there ever was a reason for that term to be used, it should be used when Adalind was forced to move in with Renard by Bonaparte, with both kids. But even in this situation, as close as it would come, to be with someone you were forced to be with. Adalind never took on with BC and Renard.

I think that was the term DG used to describe the relationship between Nick and Adalind, at least at the beginning of season 5. I haven't read that interview but that's according to what some of the posters here have stated.

You are correct, wesen. That's exactly what DG stated and he stated it was with Nick and Adalind.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - dicappatore - 12-22-2017

(12-22-2017, 07:24 PM)irukandji Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 06:15 PM)wesen Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 07:05 AM)dicappatore Wrote: IMO, the “Stockholm Syndrome” is so far off base, is like someone scoring a soccer goal at a baseball game. Adalind was not kidnapped nor held against her will. I don’t know who brought up that subject, but let’s be real. Where was the “Brainwashing” and forced to live as a captive with Nick that took place in Adalind’s life?

If there ever was a reason for that term to be used, it should be used when Adalind was forced to move in with Renard by Bonaparte, with both kids. But even in this situation, as close as it would come, to be with someone you were forced to be with. Adalind never took on with BC and Renard.

I think that was the term DG used to describe the relationship between Nick and Adalind, at least at the beginning of season 5. I haven't read that interview but that's according to what some of the posters here have stated.

You are correct, wesen. That's exactly what DG stated and he stated it was with Nick and Adalind.

I smell another re-direction. Trying to bring up old post won’t work. Just because wesen said a few posters posted what a “Stockholm Syndrome”, is does it not make it as a definition. It is hearsay of another hearsay. If an article does exist where DG stated his character relationship with Adalind, then posted. And after it is posted, it does not make a correct definition of the term. DG is an actor. I didn’t realize actors minor in Phycology. I love the way DG played the Nick character but it doesn’t make his word golden. He can still be wrong, make mistakes.

Stockholm Syndrome Definition;

Stockholm syndrome refers to a group of psychological symptoms that occur in some persons in a captive or hostage situation. It has received considerable media publicity in recent years because it has been used to explain the behavior of such well-known kidnapping victims as Patty Hearst (1974) and Elizabeth Smart (2002). The term takes its name from a bank robbery in Stockholm, Sweden, in August 1973. The robber took four employees of the bank (three women and one man) into the vault with him and kept them hostage for 131 hours. After the employees were finally released, they appeared to have formed a paradoxical emotional bond with their captor; they told reporters that they saw the police as their enemy rather than the bank robber, and that they had positive feelings toward the criminal. The syndrome was first named by Nils Bejerot (1921–1988), a medical professor who specialized in addiction research and served as a psychiatric consultant to the Swedish police during the standoff at the bank. Stockholm syndrome is also known as Survival Identification Syndrome.

So, can any of you experts show me when was Adalind forced to stay with Nick. I seen him offer her to stay with him in the house. I don’t recall him telling her she had no choice or else. If the article does exist, DG is not qualified to make that diagnosis, nor does wesen, or any of the other posters, including “ME”. The definition is what is correct, a Fact, not an opinion. Can you ever come up with any of your own concepts or ideas. You seem to be great at re-posting other’s posts and ideas.

Are you ready to eat your words?

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - Henry of green - 12-22-2017

Irk, actually there is no need as I have found the article for you and in the interview he does say stolkholm syndrome but he is specifically taking about Nick feelings in just the season premiere directly after Juliette death. He is basically he explaining how Nick is able to be there in the season premier for Adalind despite the history. I actually think describing Nicks feelings for Adalind directly after Juliette's death as stolkholm sysdrom is actually pretty spot on as he is in the middle of grieve. He also said the birth of baby Kelly is the only thing keeping him going.

He also gives a couple of interviews in late season 5 saying Bick now loves Adalind so obviously Nick feelings changed as the season went on. The actors exact words which I've posted under the other of David Guitoli interview about his feelings on Juliette's involvement in his moms death, quote taking about Nicks feelings for Adalind , he is ow in love with a Hexenbiest and they have this kid together

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclusive-grimms-david-giuntoli-spills-season-5-and-nicks-darkest-most-bloodthirsty-place%3famp

(12-22-2017, 11:02 PM)Henry of green Wrote: Irk, actually there is no need as I have found the article for you and in the interview he does say stolkholm syndrome but he is specifically taking about Nick feelings in just the season premiere directly after Juliette death. He is basically he explaining how Nick is able to be there in the season premier for Adalind despite the history.

He also gives a couple of interviews in late season 5 saying Bick now loves Adalind so obviously Nick feelings changed as the season went on. The actors exact words which I've posted under the other of David Guitoli interview about his feelings on Juliette's involvement in his moms death, quote taking about Nicks feelings for Adalind , he is ow in love with a Hexenbiest and they have this kid together

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclusive-grimms-david-giuntoli-spills-season-5-and-nicks-darkest-most-bloodthirsty-place%3famp

henry, I already knew where the article was. And actually, wesen is right, that is the term DG used to describe the relationship between Nick and Adalind. I was soundly thrashed for even questioning DG's statement in the thread you developed about DG. Yet DG's statement is called into question on this thread. Seems like there's some major hypocrisy going on when in one thread, DG's statement is golden, but in this thread, his statement is not.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - Henry of green - 12-22-2017

Yes he is describing his feelings about Adalind directly after Juliette death in the first two episodes of season 5 as he is greive stricken. I actually agreed with Wesen but he was talking about from Nick point of view he was talking about from Nicks it's a sort of stolkholm thing how he is able to work with Adalind. In no way has it ever been stated that it is like that from Adalind point of view

(12-22-2017, 11:13 PM)Henry of green Wrote: Yes he is describing his feelings about Adalind directly after Juliette death in the first two episodes of season 5 as he is greive stricken. I actually agreed with Wesen

Well if he's describring his and Adalind's relationship as Stockholm Syndrome, that isn't exactly giving a lot of credit to either himself or Adalind.

But that aside, I don't give a lot of credence to interviews. Actors are often coached ahead of time to slip out whatever the creative team thinks is an appropriate "leak". There was some talk in the interview about this great big darkness thing coming in season 5, which never happened.

But this wasn't even a leak. In your thread, DG talks about ""Nick’s also gotta be thinking, “Does Juliette know she killed my mother, when she was Eve?”"

Nick would have never known who killed his mother. He said as much, but vowed to kill whoever it was once he found out. It was Adalind who told Nick that it was Kenneth who killed her.

So what the hell was DG talking about? I also found it odd that he's the one who plays Nick in the show: He should already know what Nick's thinking rather than making goofy statements that don't even match up to the episode.