Grimm Forum
Why Nick and Adalind clicked - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Why Nick and Adalind clicked (/Thread-Why-Nick-and-Adalind-clicked)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - rpmaluki - 08-31-2017

(08-30-2017, 11:39 PM)wesen Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 07:15 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: It's a TV and movie cliche for a man and a woman forced by circumstances to live, work or otherwise have to depend on each other to eventually fall in love no matter how much they dislike each other at first. In movies, their romance usually ends sometime before the sequel; on TV, if the ratings drop precipitously after they get together. Nickalind was pretty much inevitable the moment Nick brought Adalind and Kelly to the fome because he thought they were in enough danger to have to live in a secret base.

It might be cliche but if it works then I don't see why it should be a problem. My topic wasn't about the use of cliches or not, it was more to do with why the characters of Nick and Adalind worked 'clicked' together more than juliette and Nick did. Nadalind was more popular with the viewers than juliette and Nick, so it's no surprise that the writers chose to go with them as end game.
These days, most fictional work on film or tv is riddled with cliches or tropes, not even GoT was immune to this since they ran out of books to adapt. It wouldn't be that way if people didn't readily respond to that type of writing. There's nothing wrong with Nick and Adalind being written that way, at the very least there was some complexity in them getting together. It wasn't easy or something that happened overnight. People will either accept what put in front of them or reject it.

I happen to agree with a lot of your assessment of them as a couple. Yes they certainly clicked, better than Nick and Juliette ever did. during S5 and S6 Nick is in a different place with Adalind than he was with Juliette. He is unsettled, unsure but intensely drawn to Adalind beyond just settling for the woman that was just within reach compared to Juliette, where he was settled and comfortable but things fell apart no matter all his efforts to hold on to what they had, he still drifted apart from her (unintentionally). At the end of the show, Nick is certain that Adalind was the one he wanted/loved. He still loved Eve/Juliette but that love had transformed to a different kind of love, one based on friendship instead of a love between a man and a woman. He was in love with Adalind and the world was possibly ending so he told her he loved her before going after Zerstörer. The confession of his feelings may seem out of place or too little too late to some but Adalind's initial confession of her own feelings was under similar strenuous conditions. These two played everything close to the chest until forced to embrace the reality of their situation. She was afraid he would never return and thus wanted him to know how she felt and he did the exact same thing.

I was drawn to them as a couple because of the challenge of what being together meant to them at the end of the day. logic says they should have hated one another till the end of time, Having Kelly should never have changed that. You only have to look at Adalind and Renard's relationship to see that it was more than possible for Adalind to remain indifferent towards the man she hated and regarded as an enemy for a very long time. And Nick was no different but even more so, despite his physical attraction to her, for several seasons we've never seen him succumb to his baser nature as a man and as a Grimm, that additional nature should have prevented him pursuing a relationship not only with an enemy but one who was a hexenbiest, the ultimate arch nemesis who cared that they shared a son?

With Juliette, I could never get into them because I felt that the relationship was being broken down (not strengthened) whereas Nick and Adalind were being built up. I was more invested in watching them make their relationship work rather than slog through the ever disintegrating relationship of Nick and Juliette that became too battered once Juliette's resentment and bitterness towards Nick's Grimm (before she went crazy on hexenbiest) I was desperate for the writers to end them and put me out of my misery. I felt like four whole years were wasted on a doomed relationship that added nothing to the lore of the show.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - wesen - 08-31-2017

Quote:I'm not trying to be rude here, but I'm wondering why, whenever observations about Adalind are brought up, all of the sudden a hundred things about how terrible Juliette is suddenly pop into the discussion. I know what Juliette did, but I don't really want to discuss her. The thread is about Nick and Adalind. Juliette really has no bearing on them, in my opinion, of course

You mentioned that Nick was basically this guy who had no choice other than Adalind because Juliette was the one who chose to leave him, when it was obvious that juliette still had feelings for him and missed him at times. It wasn't that Nick didnt have an option, he was able to move on with his life with another person who he was happy with, whereas Juliette was the one who was presented as basically being unhappy and had no option but to live with who she became. I felt sorry for her more than I did for Nick. Nick got his happily ever after, Juliette didn't.

Quote:Im sure they thought she was attractive. And not to be crude, but I imagine these men also thought she was a good lay but would never be a good wife. That is not such an attractive feature about a woman

Yet Nick thought she was a good enough woman to be his girlfriend and maybe even his wife. Meisner seemed to have only good non sexual thoughts about Adalind, specifically about her being a good mother. Nick thought so too, when he told Monroe she was an amazing mother to Kelly. So you're wrong about that as well.

Quote:Nick lusted after her even when he was still with Juliette, he very much enjoyed his tryst with her both when she pretended to be juliette and when juliette looked like her.

And posters wonder why Juliette refused his engagement ring. What you wrote about Nick above says it all.

The reality is guys as well as women check out people who are not their significant other if that said person is attractive. It's human nature to look at and admire something or someone who is beautiful/handsome. Nick never cheated on Juliette, finding someone attractive does not equate to cheating.

Quote:You're stating Nick was not Adalind's only option. What other options could she have chosen instead of going to Nick?

Why would she have chosen to date someone so soon after having Kelly? She could have remained single, and let's pretend that the characters did exist off screen. Adalind was still hot, she could have dated other men besides Nick. Just because she was a single mother would not stop guys from wanting to be with her. She was young, attractive and when she got her job back, financially able to rely on her own. She would be considered a catch even with children. Also, if we stick to other characters in the show, Meisner thought highly of Adalind. So no, Nick wasn't the only option for Adalind. Even Renard was willing to play happy families with her, she could have easily gone back to him as another option besides Nick.

Quote:Maybe I'm missing something here, but when I see people in love, they generally take some real pride in themselves. They try to please the one they love. They're happy. I didn't see that with Adalind.

Adalind was kind, sweet and caring towards Nick. She named their baby Kelly after Nick's mother, and even started working again so she wouldn't be a burden to Nick. She also opened herself and showed her vulnerability, by confessing that she had become a hexenbiest again. How does that not show that adalind didn't try to please Nick?

As
Quote: for Nick, I saw no improvement in him either. He didn't spruce himself up so Adalind would take notice of how good looking he is. He didn't surprise her with flowers or take her out to dinner just to show her how special she was to him.

Why would he need to? They weren't dating when they were living together, they weren't expecting to have a relationship. The fact that they inevitably fell in love wasn't intended or planned by them. They became friends first and then lovers.

Quote:Adalind got domestic and frumpy. Nick became even blander than he was before. But really, when you stop and think about it, there wasn't really anything Nick didn't already know about Adalind and vice versa. They were old news to one another. I think that's the way they approached this arrangement they had. They simply acknowledged they were living together, no one else was going to come along for either of them, so they may as well just go for staying together. Was it love? Maybe, but it had about as much of an emotional impact as changing a tire. It's really one of the strangest arrangements I've seen in a series.
That's your bias talking. I know you hate the idea of nadalind but Ive read a few posts here that seem to confirm the popularity of the couple. The viewers bought it, because like another poster here said, if it was unpopular, they wouldn't have made nadalind the end game. Personally, I like the idea of liking and loving someone for who they are, warts and all, without having to go to extreme lengths just to please someone. In the real world, most people would probably prefer a comfortable low key relationship over a high maintenance drama filled one.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - FaceInTheCrowd - 08-31-2017

I said "faith" because it was what the previous post said, but "fate" probably works just as well.

The problem with Nick and Juliette was that everything just went on too long. Nick took too long to reveal his secret, Juliette's amnesia took too long to resolve, Nick and Juliette deciding that Nick needed to get his Grimm back, etc. By the time Juliette went hexenbiest and their relationship went all to hell for the fourth time in as many seasons, it was like an old Monty Python gag that needed a mob yelling, "get on with it!"

Nick and Adalind, OTOH, fell for each other after a long time as adversaries, and once they did were considerate enough to not jerk us around a lot before The End.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - dicappatore - 08-31-2017

(08-30-2017, 11:11 PM)rpmaluki Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 07:49 PM)dicappatore Wrote: I know this is a fantasy show and what we are trying to analyze is two characters created by a writing staff. But these writers are real people and what they write has to be part of their life experiences including the experiences of what they read in that life time. Hence a TV series based on someone else writings. So, even if these are fictional characters, some basis of reality has to be applied to them from the creators and from the viewers.

So, here is a thought. How about faith? How about faith being another reason Nick and Adalind clicked? Somewhere I read that Adalind was just a character created for the pilot, yet Faith, made her character more appealing to the writers and then the viewers.

I know, some posters hate it that Nick was the main man, top honcho, “The Grimm”, which the show is based on, and the Adalind character became the face of his arch enemy. Again, I blame, Faith for the progression that developed this character.

Part of the progression was for this character be the catalyst of the breakup of Nick & Juliette and she did try in more than once. The whole coma season was one and by removing the Grimm from Nick she ended up having his baby.

So, after all these trials and tribulations, they end up under one roof. Let’s put to rest, as some posters claim that they were both social outcasts and had no one else to turn to. He was still a detective, and she was still a lawyer, and both damm good looking. They were still a catch.

After Nick’s experience with Juliette, he didn’t have the desire to get involved with another woman, yet. Adalind experiences with the loss of her first child focused on being a real mom so as not to repeat the mistake she made with her first one. These two characters didn’t fall for each other overnight in one episode. It took a while for their relationship to flourish. The separation forced on them by BC just strengthen what they had.

Did anyone ever think, when they saw that pilot. These two would end up together? Baby Kelly was the catalyst that brought them under the same roof, but I believe, Faith in the writers made them click.

(08-30-2017, 10:52 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: Generations of watching movies and TV shows and reading all sorts of trash romance materials has created a widespread belief that a man and woman thrown together by circumstance for any length of time will inevitably fall into bed together. I call it cliche, but I suppose you could call it faith.
Faith or do you mean fate?

Damm good question. I guess either can apply.
Faith, due to unseen forces pushing them towards each other.
Fate, it was inevitable that they would end up together.

(08-30-2017, 06:25 AM)wesen Wrote: Furthermore I thought there was a little bit of juliette still left in Eve in season 5 or else she wouldn't have done her best to put doubt in Nick's mind that adalind could be trusted once her hexenbiest powers returned. Eve went so far as to threaten adalind if she ever dared to hurt Nick, even though she claimed to be an entirely separate person from juliette. Why would eve have cared to go to that trouble if she truly didn't care about Nick any more? And though I have nothing against juliette/Eve and actually do like her, I didn't like the fact that she mentioned to Nick that she would do all she could to protect Kelly without once mentioning his mother, even though adalind would never have done anything to endanger her baby's life. Then we see evidence in season 6 once juliette's feelings returned, that she was still somewhat affected by Nick moving on to a new relationship. We see this when she hears the conversation between Nick and Adalind about how much they missed each other, her face does a strange like woge. Then we see another scene where Diana and eve/Juliette talk about Nick and how sometimes Juliette feels sad because she misses him as her bf. It wasnt juliette who had moved on from Nick, rather it was Nick who had moved on and chosen a life with Adalind. Yes, he felt responsible and guilty for turning juliette into a hexenbiest but he was no longer in love with her.

One of my biggest claim I have posted on other threads was how Juliette cheated on Nick after she became a Hex. Something Nick never did to Juliette. In response to my claim by the pro-Juliette crowd, they used the excuse that she was on a break-up and was just having sex with others as a single woman.

What you said above affirmed that Juliette was never on a break-up. Like you said, she never got over him, she was never on a break-up. She never got over him as Hex/Juliette, Eve/Juliette nor Stick-Healed/Juliette. When she tells Nick that they can never go back, she was referring to, not only the betrayal of trapping his mom to get beheaded, the dead neighboors, but also how she betrayed him. Something he never did to her but constantly suspected that he did in more than one occasion.

(08-31-2017, 12:17 AM)rpmaluki Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 07:15 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: It's a TV and movie cliche for a man and a woman forced by circumstances to live, work or otherwise have to depend on each other to eventually fall in love no matter how much they dislike each other at first. In movies, their romance usually ends sometime before the sequel; on TV, if the ratings drop precipitously after they get together. Nickalind was pretty much inevitable the moment Nick brought Adalind and Kelly to the fome because he thought they were in enough danger to have to live in a secret base.

It might be cliche but if it works then I don't see why it should be a problem. My topic wasn't about the use of cliches or not, it was more to do with why the characters of Nick and Adalind worked 'clicked' together more than juliette and Nick did. Nadalind was more popular with the viewers than juliette and Nick, so it's no surprise that the writers chose to go with them as end game.
These days, most fictional work on film or tv is riddled with cliches or tropes, not even GoT was immune to this since they ran out of books to adapt. It wouldn't be that way if people didn't readily respond to that type of writing. There's nothing wrong with Nick and Adalind being written that way, at the very least there was some complexity in them getting together. It wasn't easy or something that happened overnight. People will either accept what put in front of them or reject it.

I happen to agree with a lot of your assessment of them as a couple. Yes they certainly clicked, better than Nick and Juliette ever did. during S5 and S6 Nick is in a different place with Adalind than he was with Juliette. He is unsettled, unsure but intensely drawn to Adalind beyond just settling for the woman that was just within reach compared to Juliette, where he was settled and comfortable but things fell apart no matter all his efforts to hold on to what they had, he still drifted apart from her (unintentionally). At the end of the show, Nick is certain that Adalind was the one he wanted/loved. He still loved Eve/Juliette but that love had transformed to a different kind of love, one based on friendship instead of a love between a man and a woman. He was in love with Adalind and the world was possibly ending so he told her he loved her before going after Zerstörer. The confession of his feelings may seem out of place or too little too late to some but Adalind's initial confession of her own feelings was under similar strenuous conditions. These two played everything close to the chest until forced to embrace the reality of their situation. She was afraid he would never return and thus wanted him to know how she felt and he did the exact same thing.

I was drawn to them as a couple because of the challenge of what being together meant to them at the end of the day. logic says they should have hated one another till the end of time, Having Kelly should never have changed that. You only have to look at Adalind and Renard's relationship to see that it was more than possible for Adalind to remain indifferent towards the man she hated and regarded as an enemy for a very long time. And Nick was no different but even more so, despite his physical attraction to her, for several seasons we've never seen him succumb to his baser nature as a man and as a Grimm, that additional nature should have prevented him pursuing a relationship not only with an enemy but one who was a hexenbiest, the ultimate arch nemesis who cared that they shared a son?

With Juliette, I could never get into them because I felt that the relationship was being broken down (not strengthened) whereas Nick and Adalind were being built up. I was more invested in watching them make their relationship work rather than slog through the ever disintegrating relationship of Nick and Juliette that became too battered once Juliette's resentment and bitterness towards Nick's Grimm (before she went crazy on hexenbiest) I was desperate for the writers to end them and put me out of my misery. I felt like four whole years were wasted on a doomed relationship that added nothing to the lore of the show.
N
What turned me off Juliette and Nick was the efforts that Nick kept going through for Juliette, but still, it seemed like it was never enough. Juliette just seemed so high maintenance, so often demanding. Juliette could have walked away from Nick if she felt that his life as a Grimm was too much to handle, instead she basically forced him to choose her over who he really was. She wanted him to forget his heritage, his family, just so he could be conventionally normal for her. That's not real love. To Juliette, she loved the idea of Nick the human cop rather than Nick the Grimm who also happened to be a cop. When Kelly was talking in the end, he mentioned something about how the world was saved because Nick didnt turn away from who he was - as a Grimm. I thought it significant because it showed that Adalind really did love Nick for who he was, the cop and the Grimm.

(08-31-2017, 01:13 AM)dicappatore Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 11:11 PM)rpmaluki Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 07:49 PM)dicappatore Wrote: I know this is a fantasy show and what we are trying to analyze is two characters created by a writing staff. But these writers are real people and what they write has to be part of their life experiences including the experiences of what they read in that life time. Hence a TV series based on someone else writings. So, even if these are fictional characters, some basis of reality has to be applied to them from the creators and from the viewers.

So, here is a thought. How about faith? How about faith being another reason Nick and Adalind clicked? Somewhere I read that Adalind was just a character created for the pilot, yet Faith, made her character more appealing to the writers and then the viewers.

I know, some posters hate it that Nick was the main man, top honcho, “The Grimm”, which the show is based on, and the Adalind character became the face of his arch enemy. Again, I blame, Faith for the progression that developed this character.

Part of the progression was for this character be the catalyst of the breakup of Nick & Juliette and she did try in more than once. The whole coma season was one and by removing the Grimm from Nick she ended up having his baby.

So, after all these trials and tribulations, they end up under one roof. Let’s put to rest, as some posters claim that they were both social outcasts and had no one else to turn to. He was still a detective, and she was still a lawyer, and both damm good looking. They were still a catch.

After Nick’s experience with Juliette, he didn’t have the desire to get involved with another woman, yet. Adalind experiences with the loss of her first child focused on being a real mom so as not to repeat the mistake she made with her first one. These two characters didn’t fall for each other overnight in one episode. It took a while for their relationship to flourish. The separation forced on them by BC just strengthen what they had.

Did anyone ever think, when they saw that pilot. These two would end up together? Baby Kelly was the catalyst that brought them under the same roof, but I believe, Faith in the writers made them click.

(08-30-2017, 10:52 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: Generations of watching movies and TV shows and reading all sorts of trash romance materials has created a widespread belief that a man and woman thrown together by circumstance for any length of time will inevitably fall into bed together. I call it cliche, but I suppose you could call it faith.
Faith or do you mean fate?

Damm good question. I guess either can apply.
Faith, due to unseen forces pushing them towards each other.
Fate, it was inevitable that they would end up together.

(08-30-2017, 06:25 AM)wesen Wrote: Furthermore I thought there was a little bit of juliette still left in Eve in season 5 or else she wouldn't have done her best to put doubt in Nick's mind that adalind could be trusted once her hexenbiest powers returned. Eve went so far as to threaten adalind if she ever dared to hurt Nick, even though she claimed to be an entirely separate person from juliette. Why would eve have cared to go to that trouble if she truly didn't care about Nick any more? And though I have nothing against juliette/Eve and actually do like her, I didn't like the fact that she mentioned to Nick that she would do all she could to protect Kelly without once mentioning his mother, even though adalind would never have done anything to endanger her baby's life. Then we see evidence in season 6 once juliette's feelings returned, that she was still somewhat affected by Nick moving on to a new relationship. We see this when she hears the conversation between Nick and Adalind about how much they missed each other, her face does a strange like woge. Then we see another scene where Diana and eve/Juliette talk about Nick and how sometimes Juliette feels sad because she misses him as her bf. It wasnt juliette who had moved on from Nick, rather it was Nick who had moved on and chosen a life with Adalind. Yes, he felt responsible and guilty for turning juliette into a hexenbiest but he was no longer in love with her.

One of my biggest claim I have posted on other threads was how Juliette cheated on Nick after she became a Hex. Something Nick never did to Juliette. In response to my claim by the pro-Juliette crowd, they used the excuse that she was on a break-up and was just having sex with others as a single woman.

What you said above affirmed that Juliette was never on a break-up. Like you said, she never got over him, she was never on a break-up. She never got over him as Hex/Juliette, Eve/Juliette nor Stick-Healed/Juliette. When she tells Nick that they can never go back, she was referring to, not only the betrayal of trapping his mom to get beheaded, the dead neighboors, but also how she betrayed him. Something he never did to her but constantly suspected that he did in more than one occasion.

I thought Juliette treated Nick unfairly too. She could have walked away from him if she hated his life as a Grimm. Instead, she wanted to have her cake and eat it too. Juliette was fascinated by the wesen world but she didn't want Nick to be a part of it, she wanted him to be a normal human like her. I thought it was horrible that she basically wanted him to change himself for her, because she didn't accept him for who he was. Juliette knew that there might be unforeseen consequences about the twinning spell, but then she chose to blame Nick. She never appreciated the fact that he forced himself to turn away from who he was because he wanted to please her, she immediately blamed him instead of trying to work things out with him for the sake of their relationship. Not only that, she wanted him to kiss her as a hexenbiest (even though she was aware that he was still in shock and was trying to process what happened), slept with Renard, burned down the trailer, tried to kill Nick's child, betrayed Nick by helping the royals kill his mother and kidnap Diana, and didn't care that the royals murdered innocent people (neighbours). But it wasn't enough, she still wanted to kill Nick, and she would have succeeded too, if Truble hadn't arrived in time to stop her. In the end, it was her own actions that led to her downfall, and though she may have had her reasons to feel angry and betrayed by Nick, there was no excuse for her to have done the things she did. I don't think she's evil, she obviously was trying to atone for her sins in season 6, and none of the other characters were morally upright themselves, but I still didn't like that because of her feelings for Nick, she tried to cause conflict between Nick and Adalind, even when she was pretending to be Eve.

(08-31-2017, 01:48 AM)wesen Wrote:

N
What turned me off Juliette and Nick was the efforts that Nick kept going through for Juliette, but still, it seemed like it was never enough. Juliette just seemed so high maintenance, so often demanding. Juliette could have walked away from Nick if she felt that his life as a Grimm was too much to handle, instead she basically forced him to choose her over who he really was. She wanted him to forget his heritage, his family, just so he could be conventionally normal for her. That's not real love. To Juliette, she loved the idea of Nick the human cop rather than Nick the Grimm who also happened to be a cop. When Kelly was talking in the end, he mentioned something about how the world was saved because Nick didnt turn away from who he was - as a Grimm. I thought it significant because it showed that Adalind really did love Nick for who he was, the cop and the Grimm.
It's very telling indeed. I don't hate Juliette but I do think their relationship was a complete waste of (my) time and energy when it was apparent that it wasn't working. She should have left him long before he even lost his Grimm, period because he wasn't what she envisioned for herself. There was nothing Nick could have done to to change that. He was who and what he was. The final straw for me was when she asked his friends to not try and find a cure for his Grimmlessness without even talking to Nick about it. She changed her mind of course, not because she realised that it was what he wanted. She did it because others were in danger as a result of him being Grimmless and Nick the Grimm could have done something to help. She made the choice for Monroe, not Nick.

When she became a hexenbiest, she turned violent because she felt done in by Nick, forgetting that she was just as complicit for her new state through her own actions/choices. Nick didn't (intentionally) make her into what she was. he didn't know that would happen and he tried everything he could to fix it and she still hated him for everything. @Brandon said she'd lost confidence in Nick's love for her, I agree (didn't happen overnight either, it started with him keeping his grimm from her) but he never wavered in his love for her during all the time they were together (despite his mild attraction to Adalind, or the Musai and the Daemonfeuer showing up and messing things up). Nick remained faithful to her and told her he was willing to accept her. Then Adalind showed up and offered a temp solution that would give Juliette back some form of normalcy, at least until they could figure things out on a more permanent basis and she spurned everything, burnt all her bridges. It would take a miracle for me to want those two back together or even think they were ever good together because they weren't.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - dicappatore - 08-31-2017

(08-31-2017, 02:20 AM)rpmaluki Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 01:48 AM)wesen Wrote:

N
It's very telling indeed. I don't hate Juliette but I do think their relationship was a complete waste of (my) time and energy when it was apparent that it wasn't working. She should have left him long before he even lost his Grimm, period because he wasn't what she envisioned for herself. There was nothing Nick could have done to to change that. He was who and what he was. The final straw for me was when she asked his friends to not try and find a cure for his Grimmlessness without even talking to Nick about it. She changed her mind of course, not because she realised that it was what he wanted. She did it because others were in danger as a result of him being Grimmless and Nick the Grimm could have done something to help. She made the choice for Monroe, not Nick.

When she became a hexenbiest, she turned violent because she felt done in by Nick, forgetting that she was just as complicit for her new state through her own actions/choices. Nick didn't (intentionally) make her into what she was. he didn't know that would happen and he tried everything he could to fix it and she still hated him for everything. @Brandon said she'd lost confidence in Nick's love for her, I agree (didn't happen overnight either, it started with him keeping his grimm from her) but he never wavered in his love for her during all the time they were together (despite his mild attraction to Adalind, or the Musai and the Daemonfeuer showing up and messing things up). Nick remained faithful to her and told her he was willing to accept her. Then Adalind showed up and offered a temp solution that would give Juliette back some form of normalcy, at least until they could figure things out on a more permanent basis and she spurned everything, burnt all her bridges. It would take a miracle for me to want those two back together or even think they were ever good together because they weren't.

For me, the final straw was back to S1, E16. At this point, they were living in the same house, sleeping in the same bed, having dinner as if they were married. The only thing missing was the formal and legal portions of the union, and she said NO!

For the same reasons, she gave him for saying NO, should have been the same reasons for ending that relationship. Why did she stick around if she did not trust him. The lack of trust, in a relationship, is the basis for all the rest. No trust, no relationship.

This why, Trust is another reason Nick and Adalind clicked. They did have some reservations in the beginning. That is why, as some have claimed, they did not form this relationship overnight. It took a while for the trust to be fermented. Once trust was established, they clicked.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - irukandji - 08-31-2017

(08-31-2017, 12:19 AM)wesen Wrote: You mentioned that Nick was basically this guy who had no choice other than Adalind because Juliette was the one who chose to leave him, when it was obvious that juliette still had feelings for him and missed him at times. It wasn't that Nick didnt have an option, he was able to move on with his life with another person who he was happy with, whereas Juliette was the one who was presented as basically being unhappy and had no option but to live with who she became. I felt sorry for her more than I did for Nick. Nick got his happily ever after, Juliette didn't.

But this doesn't answer my observation about your post. Why do you continue to bring Juliette into a thread that is specifically about Nick and Adalind? As I said, I'm not trying to be rude, but whenever someone critiques Adalind, all of the sudden there's some poster (or posters) who have to rant about Juliette. I know exactly what Juliette did, but this thread isn't about her, nor is it about how Nick could or could not get her back. Maybe you could explain why you feel it's so important to continue to drag her into the debate?

Quote:Yet Nick thought she was a good enough woman to be his girlfriend and maybe even his wife. Meisner seemed to have only good non sexual thoughts about Adalind, specifically about her being a good mother. Nick thought so too, when he told Monroe she was an amazing mother to Kelly. So you're wrong about that as well.

Nick told Monroe she was an amazing mother. When did he ever tell Monroe that he was just glad she came into his life, or that he loved her? Tell me, when did Nick talk to Monroe about Adalind and only Adalind besides the unremarkable statement that she's an amazing mother?

(08-31-2017, 12:19 AM)wesen Wrote: The reality is guys as well as women check out people who are not their significant other if that said person is attractive. It's human nature to look at and admire something or someone who is beautiful/handsome. Nick never cheated on Juliette, finding someone attractive does not equate to cheating.

Guys wouldn't be guys if they didn't look at a pretty girl. They're hard wired just like women are when they check out a guy.

But that is not what you said. You said Nick lusted after Adalind while he was with Juliette. Lusting after someone is a whole different thing. I merely stated I could see why Juliette refused his proposal.

(08-31-2017, 12:19 AM)wesen Wrote: Why would she have chosen to date someone so soon after having Kelly? She could have remained single, and let's pretend that the characters did exist off screen. Adalind was still hot, she could have dated other men besides Nick. Just because she was a single mother would not stop guys from wanting to be with her. She was young, attractive and when she got her job back, financially able to rely on her own. She would be considered a catch even with children. Also, if we stick to other characters in the show, Meisner thought highly of Adalind. So no, Nick wasn't the only option for Adalind. Even Renard was willing to play happy families with her, she could have easily gone back to him as another option besides Nick.

Exactly. She *could* have gone on to be an independent woman. She had a great career. The firm wanted her back. Instead she opted to move in with Nick and become his domestic little mouse with no life of her own.

(08-31-2017, 12:19 AM)wesen Wrote: Adalind was kind, sweet and caring towards Nick. She named their baby Kelly after Nick's mother, and even started working again so she wouldn't be a burden to Nick. She also opened herself and showed her vulnerability, by confessing that she had become a hexenbiest again. How does that not show that adalind didn't try to please Nick?

As I stated before, she settled for less.

(08-31-2017, 12:19 AM)wesen Wrote: Why would he need to? They weren't dating when they were living together, they weren't expecting to have a relationship. The fact that they inevitably fell in love wasn't intended or planned by them. They became friends first and then lovers.

As I stated, he also settled for less.

Quote:Adalind got domestic and frumpy. Nick became even blander
That's your bias talking. I know you hate the idea of nadalind but Ive read a few posts here that seem to confirm the popularity of the couple. The viewers bought it, because like another poster here said, if it was unpopular, they wouldn't have made nadalind the end game. Personally, I like the idea of liking and loving someone for who they are, warts and all, without having to go to extreme lengths just to please someone. In the real world, most people would probably prefer a comfortable low key relationship over a high maintenance drama filled one.

Why is your opinion considered just the greatest most wonderful piece of writing and mine is biased?

I don't get you posters who favor the Adalind/Nick combination. You don't allow for posters to have a different point of view. They must have your point of view or they're called all kinds of names and criticized unfairly.

I could care less if you criticize the characters, but why do you feel personal criticisms are warranted simply because someone doesn't see it your way?

(08-31-2017, 04:26 AM)irukandji Wrote: I don't get you posters who favor the Adalind/Nick combination. You don't allow for posters to have a different point of view. They must have your point of view or they're called all kinds of names and criticized unfairly.
Please be specific to those who do this and direct this towards them because not everyone who supports Nick/Adalind has criticised people who have a differing view. I don't like Nick and Juliette and never have because of how badly I feel they were written, that has nothing to do with posters who support them, who are free to like them as I am free to like N/A.

Quote:You mentioned that Nick was basically this guy who had no choice other than Adalind because Juliette was the one who chose to leave him, when it was obvious that juliette still had feelings for him and missed him at times. It wasn't that Nick didnt have an option, he was able to move on with his life with another person who he was happy with, whereas Juliette was the one who was presented as basically being unhappy and had no option but to live with who she became. I felt sorry for her more than I did for Nick. Nick got his happily ever after, Juliette didn't.

But this doesn't answer my observation about your post. Why do you continue to bring Juliette into a thread that is specifically about Nick and Adalind? As I said, I'm not trying to be rude, but whenever someone critiques Adalind, all of the sudden there's some poster (or posters) who have to rant about Juliette. I know exactly what Juliette did, but this thread isn't about her, nor is it about how Nick could or could not get her back. Maybe you could explain why you feel it's so important to continue to drag her into the debate?

My original post was about why I thought Adalind and Nick clicked. You implied that they didn't click, but only ended up together because they had no choice coz no one else wanted them. You seem to be suggesting that Adalind was only runner up, the second best choice because Juliette didn't want Nick anymore. That's the reason why I mentioned Juliette, coz I wanted to show you that Juliette did want Nick back, if she thought they had a chance. She realised in the end though that Nick had already moved on and formed a happy life with someone new. The kindest thing she ever did for him was to release him from his feeling of guilt/burden towards her.

Quote:Yet Nick thought she was a good enough woman to be his girlfriend and maybe even his wife. Meisner seemed to have only good non sexual thoughts about Adalind, specifically about her being a good mother. Nick thought so too, when he told Monroe she was an amazing mother to Kelly. So you're wrong about that as well.

Nick told Monroe she was an amazing mother. When did he ever tell Monroe that he was just glad she came into his life, or that he loved her? Tell me, when did Nick talk to Monroe about Adalind and only Adalind besides the unremarkable statement that she's an amazing mother?

At the time of their conversation (season 5) Nick was still unsure about Adalind, so why would he say that he loved her? It would have been strange and frankly unbelievable if Nick suddenly declared to his friends that Adalind was the love of his life just after a few months of living with her. He's spent years hating her, a few months of learning to live together and actually liking one another isn't something that can overcome that immediately. Nick only realised his feelings for her when he lost her to BC, and when he had to face later on the possibility of losing her again, this time forever. Adalind may have declared her feelings for Nick a bit too early, but she was frightened he wasn't coming back. Rpmaluki has an interesting perspective that Adalind and Nick both chose to declare their love for one another under pressure. Only when they realised the high stakes did they face what they felt for one another. Yes, Adalind was more open towards Nick about her feelings to him, but in my opinion, t's not surprising that he was more slow to realise his feelings for her. First off, he was scared of Adalind turning into a hexenbiest again after his history with her and all the horrible things that Juliette did after she turned into a hexenbiest. Second of all, Nick was still nursing a broken heart and grieving over Juliette in season 5. This was shown in one of the early episodes prior to moving to the loft, where Nick goes to his and Juliette's bedroom and he goes over to the closet and touches Juliette's dress. You don't just get over someone you've been with for years that fast, even if you might start to develop feelings for someone else. If Nick had done so, that would have shown him to be a callous and shallow jerk.

Furthermore, Nick did fight to get Adalind back as was seen in season 6, he told Renard that Adalind was going with him. Why would he say that if he didn't care about Adalind at all? He could have just left her with Renard and co-parented Kelly with her. Nick might not have declared his love to Adalind immediately after getting her back, but what he lacked in words, he showed it through his actions, even in front of his friends. He considers their violent altercation at the ruins as their first kiss, his new found feelings for her altered his perception of what actually occurred between them when he took her powers at the ruins. Then we see Nick telling Adalind that he thought he was going to go crazy without her, and he specifically didn't mention Kelly, so that clearly showed how much he missed her and wanted to be with her. Then, in Blind Love he told Adalind that they were lucky that they had each other, and ran to her and hugged her after the love spell wore off. There was also the many numerous looks and even hugs as well as kisses they had, both private and in public. He also opposed Adalind from entering the mirror world, even though he knew that there was a chance that Juliette could be trapped in the other world forever. In fact, it was Adalind who had to bring up that point. Most important of all was the absolute trust that they had for each other, Adalind wasn't jealous of Eve, she knew about the stick, whatever issues they had they were able to resolve it even if it was not shown on screen. Saying I love you was merely the icing on the cake, it didn't change anything between them.

Quote:
(08-31-2017, 12:19 AM)wesen Wrote: The reality is guys as well as women check out people who are not their significant other if that said person is attractive. It's human nature to look at and admire something or someone who is beautiful/handsome. Nick never cheated on Juliette, finding someone attractive does not equate to cheating.

Guys wouldn't be guys if they didn't look at a pretty girl. They're hard wired just like women are when they check out a guy.

But that is not what you said. You said Nick lusted after Adalind while he was with Juliette. Lusting after someone is a whole different thing. I merely stated I could see why Juliette refused his proposal.

Lust is a feeling of physical attraction towards someone. That is not the same as cheating. Nick did lust after Adalind, but most importantly, he NEVER acted on it. He remained loyal to Juliette to the end of their relationship. It was Juliette who chose to cheat on him with Renard, just because she was mad at him (Nick). I don't want to drag Juliette into this again, but if you are going to criticise Nick for something he didn't even do, then you should look at who actually was the cheater in their relationship. And btw, Juliette refused his proposal not because he cheated on her, but because she didn't trust him. That alone shows that there were cracks in their relationship. This lack of trust (that they were never able to resolve) and their unrealistic demands from each other, as well as their mismatched personalities is what drove them apart.

Quote:Why would she have chosen to date someone so soon after having Kelly? She could have remained single, and let's pretend that the characters did exist off screen. Adalind was still hot, she could have dated other men besides Nick. Just because she was a single mother would not stop guys from wanting to be with her. She was young, attractive and when she got her job back, financially able to rely on her own. She would be considered a catch even with children. Also, if we stick to other characters in the show, Meisner thought highly of Adalind. So no, Nick wasn't the only option for Adalind. Even Renard was willing to play happy families with her, she could have easily gone back to him as another option besides Nick.

Exactly. She *could* have gone on to be an independent woman. She had a great career. The firm wanted her back. Instead she opted to move in with Nick and become his domestic little mouse with no life of her own.

Just because she fell in love with Nick doesn't make her a mouse with no life of her own. I think you just want her to be single so she wouldn't have to end up with Nick. There is no reason to criticise her for falling in love with a man that she likes, who is kind to her, and who has a baby with her. People fall in love everyday, why should Adalind be held to different standard compared to other women? You might as well criticise Rosalee for choosing to be with Monroe when she could have chosen to be an independent woman with a business of her own. It doesn't make sense to me. Adalind chose to be with Nick because she loved him, plain and simple. In the end, she had no need to rely on him, and she would probably have earned more money than he did, but because she truly loved him, she wanted to be with him.

Quote:As I stated before, she settled for less.

That's your interpretation.

Quote:As I stated, he also settled for less.

Again, that's your interpretation. You might think they settled for less but the show was clear that they were happy with each other in the end.

Quote:
Quote:Adalind got domestic and frumpy. Nick became even blander

Why is your opinion considered just the greatest most wonderful piece of writing and mine is biased?

I don't get you posters who favor the Adalind/Nick combination. You don't allow for posters to have a different point of view. They must have your point of view or they're called all kinds of names and criticized unfairly.

I could care less if you criticize the characters, but why do you feel personal criticisms are warranted simply because someone doesn't see it your way?

You are putting words into my mouth. I never claimed to have the most wonderful piece of writing ever, but what I cannot tolerate is when you twist/make up facts to suit your bias. The show ends with Nick and Adalind still together after 20 years, you then wrote that you can imagine that they would look back and wonder why they 'settled for less' with each other. That was not what the show intended, it was a happy ending meant to show that Nick and Adalind had a long lasting and close relationship. The hexenbiest spell books scattered throughout the new trailer, the fact that Adalind is now fighting side by side with Nick and her children emphasises that she and Nick are in a loving relationship with each other. Your conjecture was formed because of your dislike for Nadalind as end game. You don't have to like them together as a couple, but no need to make up claims that aren't true or an impossibility. Then you mentioned that Nick and Adalind had no choice but to hook up with each other because no one else wanted them, despite me providing examples from a few episodes that Juliette did still want Nick, and Renard was willing to play happy families with Adalind (as was shown in the show). I know I'm just new here and I'm trying not to stir trouble, but what gets my goat is when you make claims without trying to back them up with evidence. I could just as easily make the claim that Nick and Monroe ended up together as lovers because I want them to be together, but without any evidence to back up my statements, I'm only going to be talking complete b.s.