Grimm Forum
Why Nick and Adalind clicked - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Why Nick and Adalind clicked (/Thread-Why-Nick-and-Adalind-clicked)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - irukandji - 08-30-2017

(08-29-2017, 09:43 PM)wesen Wrote: What I also noticed (I don't know if other posters have picked up on this) was Nick actually made a choice at the end of who he really wanted to be with. The magic stick allowed him to fulfil his heart's desire. If he had truly wanted a life with Juliette he could have changed everything to make it fit into what his ideal life with her would be. Instead we see him going back to a life with Adalind, Kelly and diana, and with Eve gaining back her hexenbiest powers.
prospects for Nick after Juliette left, and he certainly didn't advertise that he was available and looking for a relationship.

There was no other woman who disrupted Nick's life so much during season six that he was forced to make a choice. Juliette was gone, kaput. They were finished in season four.

Adalind was done with Renard long before that. There certainly weren't any other men hanging around for a chance at her. Two children didn't make her any more desirable.

Nick invited her into his fome. She accepted. There was no big love story, no admission from either of them that they'd been longing for one another for years. I think Nick and Adalind simply shrugged one day, figured "why not get together?" and did so because both of them saw there was no one else and there was never going to be anyone else coming along. I can't say I agree with that thinking, but that's what I believe they did.

I don't think that's a real reason to hook up with someone. I can imagine the two of them years later looking back and wondering why they both settled for less.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - thecdn - 08-30-2017

(08-29-2017, 10:54 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: Nick and Adalind always reminded me of the boy and girl who hated each other since kindergarten but ended up engaged by the time they graduated high school.

I like that analogy.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - wesen - 08-30-2017

(08-30-2017, 04:24 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 09:43 PM)wesen Wrote: What I also noticed (I don't know if other posters have picked up on this) was Nick actually made a choice at the end of who he really wanted to be with. The magic stick allowed him to fulfil his heart's desire. If he had truly wanted a life with Juliette he could have changed everything to make it fit into what his ideal life with her would be. Instead we see him going back to a life with Adalind, Kelly and diana, and with Eve gaining back her hexenbiest powers.
prospects for Nick after Juliette left, and he certainly didn't advertise that he was available and looking for a relationship.

There was no other woman who disrupted Nick's life so much during season six that he was forced to make a choice. Juliette was gone, kaput. They were finished in season four.

Adalind was done with Renard long before that. There certainly weren't any other men hanging around for a chance at her. Two children didn't make her any more desirable.

Nick invited her into his fome. She accepted. There was no big love story, no admission from either of them that they'd been longing for one another for years. I think Nick and Adalind simply shrugged one day, figured "why not get together?" and did so because both of them saw there was no one else and there was never going to be anyone else coming along. I can't say I agree with that thinking, but that's what I believe they did.

I don't think that's a real reason to hook up with someone. I can imagine the two of them years later looking back and wondering why they both settled for less.

But my point is that Nick could have, if his heart had truly desired it, changed the past/future and ended up having a family life with Juliette. The magic staff gave him the power to fulfil his wishes, and it could have very well sent him into an alternate reality where he would still be with Juliette and even have kids with her if Nick had wanted it to happen. Juliette told him in the other world that they couldn't change the past even if they wanted to, but that was before Nick had obtained the magic staff. It was telling, however, that he chose in the end to be back with Adalind and their child as well as Diana, except without the cursed ring. Nick made a choice to have a life with Adalind rather than Juliette.

Furthermore I thought there was a little bit of juliette still left in Eve in season 5 or else she wouldn't have done her best to put doubt in Nick's mind that adalind could be trusted once her hexenbiest powers returned. Eve went so far as to threaten adalind if she ever dared to hurt Nick, even though she claimed to be an entirely separate person from juliette. Why would eve have cared to go to that trouble if she truly didn't care about Nick any more? And though I have nothing against juliette/Eve and actually do like her, I didn't like the fact that she mentioned to Nick that she would do all she could to protect Kelly without once mentioning his mother, even though adalind would never have done anything to endanger her baby's life. Then we see evidence in season 6 once juliette's feelings returned, that she was still somewhat affected by Nick moving on to a new relationship. We see this when she hears the conversation between Nick and Adalind about how much they missed each other, her face does a strange like woge. Then we see another scene where Diana and eve/Juliette talk about Nick and how sometimes Juliette feels sad because she misses him as her bf. It wasnt juliette who had moved on from Nick, rather it was Nick who had moved on and chosen a life with Adalind. Yes, he felt responsible and guilty for turning juliette into a hexenbiest but he was no longer in love with her.
As for Adalind, why wouldn't she be able to find a man other than Nick just because she was a single mother? She was smart, very attractive, hank, Nick, renard, his royal brother, and possibly Meisner thought so. Nick lusted after her even when he was still with Juliette, he very much enjoyed his tryst with her both when she pretended to be juliette and when juliette looked like her. Renard still wanted to sleep with her despite having Nick's baby. Adalind had no trouble attracting men, except she just seemed to choose the wrong kind thanks to her upbringing. Nick was not Adalind's only option except maybe at the beginning when she didn't have a job that could help her support Kelly on her own. Yes, Nick and Adalind were forced to live together because they wanted to protect Kelly but they didn't fall in love just because they had no one else to hook up with. In fact, they werent exactly jumping at the chance to start a relationship with each other. I think you really misinterpreted their relationship or chose to ignore everything that happened between them on screen. Nick and Adalind have always had sexual tension between them, more so in Nick's part. He suppressed his physical attraction to her because of their animosity towards each other and because they were involved with other people at the time. It wasn't surprising that he would regain his attraction towards her when they live in such close proximity. Also, why on earth would they suddenly declare love for one another when they had a long and violent history towards each other? They absolutely hated each other and sought to either destroy or take away the other's power. Their history alone should have stopped them from even liking one another let alone falling in love. That's why it's remarkable that against all odds, they were able to overcome all the obstacles between them to create a long lasting relationship. I also don't understand why you would think they would look years back from now and wonder why they settled for less with each other. 20 years is a long time to spend with someone who you think of as just merely settling for less.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - brandon - 08-30-2017

To stay with Juliette?.
She could go on her way, without having a Nick at his side.
If she fell into that pit of hatred it was because of herself.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - irukandji - 08-30-2017

(08-30-2017, 06:25 AM)wesen Wrote: But my point is that Nick could have, if his heart had truly desired it, changed the past/future and ended up having a family life with Juliette. The magic staff gave him the power to fulfil his wishes, and it could have very well sent him into an alternate reality where he would still be with Juliette and even have kids with her if Nick had wanted it to happen. Juliette told him in the other world that they couldn't change the past even if they wanted to, but that was before Nick had obtained the magic staff. It was telling, however, that he chose in the end to be back with Adalind and their child as well as Diana, except without the cursed ring. Nick made a choice to have a life with Adalind rather than Juliette.

Furthermore I thought there was a little bit of juliette still left in Eve in season 5 or else she wouldn't have done her best to put doubt in Nick's mind that adalind could be trusted once her hexenbiest powers returned. Eve went so far as to threaten adalind if she ever dared to hurt Nick, even though she claimed to be an entirely separate person from juliette. Why would eve have cared to go to that trouble if she truly didn't care about Nick any more? And though I have nothing against juliette/Eve and actually do like her, I didn't like the fact that she mentioned to Nick that she would do all she could to protect Kelly without once mentioning his mother, even though adalind would never have done anything to endanger her baby's life. Then we see evidence in season 6 once juliette's feelings returned, that she was still somewhat affected by Nick moving on to a new relationship. We see this when she hears the conversation between Nick and Adalind about how much they missed each other, her face does a strange like woge. Then we see another scene where Diana and eve/Juliette talk about Nick and how sometimes Juliette feels sad because she misses him as her bf. It wasnt juliette who had moved on from Nick, rather it was Nick who had moved on and chosen a life with Adalind. Yes, he felt responsible and guilty for turning juliette into a hexenbiest but he was no longer in love with her.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but I'm wondering why, whenever observations about Adalind are brought up, all of the sudden a hundred things about how terrible Juliette is suddenly pop into the discussion. I know what Juliette did, but I don't really want to discuss her. The thread is about Nick and Adalind. Juliette really has no bearing on them, in my opinion, of course.

(08-30-2017, 06:25 AM)wesen Wrote: As for Adalind, why wouldn't she be able to find a man other than Nick just because she was a single mother? She was smart, very attractive, hank, Nick, renard, his royal brother, and possibly Meisner thought so.

I'm sure they thought she was attractive. And not to be crude, but I imagine these men also thought she was a good lay but would never be a good wife. That is not such an attractive feature about a woman.

(08-30-2017, 06:25 AM)wesen Wrote: Nick lusted after her even when he was still with Juliette, he very much enjoyed his tryst with her both when she pretended to be juliette and when juliette looked like her.

And posters wonder why Juliette refused his engagement ring. What you wrote about Nick above says it all.

(08-30-2017, 06:25 AM)wesen Wrote: Renard still wanted to sleep with her despite having Nick's baby. Adalind had no trouble attracting men, except she just seemed to choose the wrong kind thanks to her upbringing. Nick was not Adalind's only option except maybe at the beginning when she didn't have a job that could help her support Kelly on her own.

You're stating Nick was not Adalind's only option. What other options could she have chosen instead of going to Nick?

(08-30-2017, 06:25 AM)wesen Wrote: Yes, Nick and Adalind were forced to live together because they wanted to protect Kelly but they didn't fall in love just because they had no one else to hook up with. In fact, they werent exactly jumping at the chance to start a relationship with each other.

I think you really misinterpreted their relationship or chose to ignore everything that happened between them on screen. Nick and Adalind have always had sexual tension between them, more so in Nick's part. He suppressed his physical attraction to her because of their animosity towards each other and because they were involved with other people at the time. It wasn't surprising that he would regain his attraction towards her when they live in such close proximity. Also, why on earth would they suddenly declare love for one another when they had a long and violent history towards each other?

They absolutely hated each other and sought to either destroy or take away the other's power. Their history alone should have stopped them from even liking one another let alone falling in love. That's why it's remarkable that against all odds, they were able to overcome all the obstacles between them to create a long lasting relationship. I also don't understand why you would think they would look years back from now and wonder why they settled for less with each other. 20 years is a long time to spend with someone who you think of as just merely settling for less.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but when I see people in love, they generally take some real pride in themselves. They try to please the one they love. They're happy. I didn't see that with Adalind.

As for Nick, I saw no improvement in him either. He didn't spruce himself up so Adalind would take notice of how good looking he is. He didn't surprise her with flowers or take her out to dinner just to show her how special she was to him.

Adalind got domestic and frumpy. Nick became even blander than he was before. But really, when you stop and think about it, there wasn't really anything Nick didn't already know about Adalind and vice versa. They were old news to one another. I think that's the way they approached this arrangement they had. They simply acknowledged they were living together, no one else was going to come along for either of them, so they may as well just go for staying together. Was it love? Maybe, but it had about as much of an emotional impact as changing a tire. It's really one of the strangest arrangements I've seen in a series.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - FaceInTheCrowd - 08-30-2017

It's a TV and movie cliche for a man and a woman forced by circumstances to live, work or otherwise have to depend on each other to eventually fall in love no matter how much they dislike each other at first. In movies, their romance usually ends sometime before the sequel; on TV, if the ratings drop precipitously after they get together. Nickalind was pretty much inevitable the moment Nick brought Adalind and Kelly to the fome because he thought they were in enough danger to have to live in a secret base.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - dicappatore - 08-30-2017

I know this is a fantasy show and what we are trying to analyze is two characters created by a writing staff. But these writers are real people and what they write has to be part of their life experiences including the experiences of what they read in that life time. Hence a TV series based on someone else writings. So, even if these are fictional characters, some basis of reality has to be applied to them from the creators and from the viewers.

So, here is a thought. How about faith? How about faith being another reason Nick and Adalind clicked? Somewhere I read that Adalind was just a character created for the pilot, yet Faith, made her character more appealing to the writers and then the viewers.

I know, some posters hate it that Nick was the main man, top honcho, “The Grimm”, which the show is based on, and the Adalind character became the face of his arch enemy. Again, I blame, Faith for the progression that developed this character.

Part of the progression was for this character be the catalyst of the breakup of Nick & Juliette and she did try in more than once. The whole coma season was one and by removing the Grimm from Nick she ended up having his baby.

So, after all these trials and tribulations, they end up under one roof. Let’s put to rest, as some posters claim that they were both social outcasts and had no one else to turn to. He was still a detective, and she was still a lawyer, and both damm good looking. They were still a catch.

After Nick’s experience with Juliette, he didn’t have the desire to get involved with another woman, yet. Adalind experiences with the loss of her first child focused on being a real mom so as not to repeat the mistake she made with her first one. These two characters didn’t fall for each other overnight in one episode. It took a while for their relationship to flourish. The separation forced on them by BC just strengthen what they had.

Did anyone ever think, when they saw that pilot. These two would end up together? Baby Kelly was the catalyst that brought them under the same roof, but I believe, Faith in the writers made them click.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - FaceInTheCrowd - 08-30-2017

Generations of watching movies and TV shows and reading all sorts of trash romance materials has created a widespread belief that a man and woman thrown together by circumstance for any length of time will inevitably fall into bed together. I call it cliche, but I suppose you could call it faith.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - rpmaluki - 08-30-2017

(08-30-2017, 07:49 PM)dicappatore Wrote: I know this is a fantasy show and what we are trying to analyze is two characters created by a writing staff. But these writers are real people and what they write has to be part of their life experiences including the experiences of what they read in that life time. Hence a TV series based on someone else writings. So, even if these are fictional characters, some basis of reality has to be applied to them from the creators and from the viewers.

So, here is a thought. How about faith? How about faith being another reason Nick and Adalind clicked? Somewhere I read that Adalind was just a character created for the pilot, yet Faith, made her character more appealing to the writers and then the viewers.

I know, some posters hate it that Nick was the main man, top honcho, “The Grimm”, which the show is based on, and the Adalind character became the face of his arch enemy. Again, I blame, Faith for the progression that developed this character.

Part of the progression was for this character be the catalyst of the breakup of Nick & Juliette and she did try in more than once. The whole coma season was one and by removing the Grimm from Nick she ended up having his baby.

So, after all these trials and tribulations, they end up under one roof. Let’s put to rest, as some posters claim that they were both social outcasts and had no one else to turn to. He was still a detective, and she was still a lawyer, and both damm good looking. They were still a catch.

After Nick’s experience with Juliette, he didn’t have the desire to get involved with another woman, yet. Adalind experiences with the loss of her first child focused on being a real mom so as not to repeat the mistake she made with her first one. These two characters didn’t fall for each other overnight in one episode. It took a while for their relationship to flourish. The separation forced on them by BC just strengthen what they had.

Did anyone ever think, when they saw that pilot. These two would end up together? Baby Kelly was the catalyst that brought them under the same roof, but I believe, Faith in the writers made them click.

(08-30-2017, 10:52 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: Generations of watching movies and TV shows and reading all sorts of trash romance materials has created a widespread belief that a man and woman thrown together by circumstance for any length of time will inevitably fall into bed together. I call it cliche, but I suppose you could call it faith.
Faith or do you mean fate?

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - wesen - 08-30-2017

(08-30-2017, 07:15 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: It's a TV and movie cliche for a man and a woman forced by circumstances to live, work or otherwise have to depend on each other to eventually fall in love no matter how much they dislike each other at first. In movies, their romance usually ends sometime before the sequel; on TV, if the ratings drop precipitously after they get together. Nickalind was pretty much inevitable the moment Nick brought Adalind and Kelly to the fome because he thought they were in enough danger to have to live in a secret base.

It might be cliche but if it works then I don't see why it should be a problem. My topic wasn't about the use of cliches or not, it was more to do with why the characters of Nick and Adalind worked 'clicked' together more than juliette and Nick did. Nadalind was more popular with the viewers than juliette and Nick, so it's no surprise that the writers chose to go with them as end game.