Grimm Forum
Why Nick and Adalind clicked - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Why Nick and Adalind clicked (/Thread-Why-Nick-and-Adalind-clicked)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - Robyn - 12-31-2017

(12-31-2017, 09:36 AM)irukandji Wrote: Robyn, I believe you're thinking of something else here. What I was saying is that Nick and Adalind never really had any fun together, which is something else altogether. I never saw Adalind surprise Nick with a gift. She was just always there.

Nick never once suggested that the two of them go out alone for a night on the town. It seemed like whenever they were outside the fome, they were with the scoobies. They didn't ever seem to have fun interacting with one another. That, to me, would have gone a long way toward establishing a special bond to show that they cared enough for one another to let their guard down. In other words, that they were revealing another side of themselves to each other.

Juliette apparently wore that dress as part of a night on the town, which suggests to me that she and Nick had fun with one another. It had nothing to do with reminiscing about Nick's past with Adalind. It had to do with Nick changing the present with Adalind.

I personally don't care to compare the two relationships. They are not the same. The creators put Nick and Adalind together. Their relationship should stand for more than just a child they had in common and a romp in bed every now and then.
The length of their actual relationship restricts what they did in current time and past events available for recollection. The last half of S5 focused on Nick’s distrust of Adalind and his uncertainty of them ever being more than parenting partners. Adalind’s desperation for them to be in a committed relationship didn’t create an actual relationship, committed or casual. At best, they had an agreement to act in the best interest of their child. There’s really not much for them to share with one another as a couple if their not yet a couple.

Nick and Juliette were on favorable ground as of the first date, so they accumulated fond memories over the years. But once Nick became a Grimm, Nick/Juliette took a slow ride downhill and weren’t creating as many fond memories. Like Nick/Adalind in S5 - S6, Nick/Juliette in S1-S4 mostly centered around Grimm duties and interaction with other Team Grimm members. When joining Monroe & Rosalee for a birthday celebration in S6, Nick/Adalind more or less behaved the way Nick/Juliette would have in the same situation. Nick/Juliette may have experienced more intimate moments, but they were in an intimate relationship for a longer period of time.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - irukandji - 12-31-2017

(12-31-2017, 10:17 AM)Robyn Wrote: The length of their actual relationship restricts what they did in current time and past events available for recollection. The last half of S5 focused on Nick’s distrust of Adalind and his uncertainty of them ever being more than parenting partners. Adalind’s desperation for them to be in a committed relationship didn’t create an actual relationship, committed or casual. At best, they had an agreement to act in the best interest of their child. There’s really not much for them to share with one another as a couple if their not yet a couple.

Nick and Juliette were on favorable ground as of the first date, so they accumulated fond memories over the years. But once Nick became a Grimm, Nick/Juliette took a slow ride downhill and weren’t creating as many fond memories. Like Nick/Adalind in S5 - S6, Nick/Juliette in S1-S4 mostly centered around Grimm duties and interaction with other Team Grimm members. When joining Monroe & Rosalee for a birthday celebration in S6, Nick/Adalind more or less behaved the way Nick/Juliette would have in the same situation. Nick/Juliette may have experienced more intimate moments, but they were in an intimate relationship for a longer period of time.

The creative team got past the length of their relationship by doing two things. First they had Nick take Adalind and baby under his wing. Second, Adalind apologized for what she'd done. I liked the awkwardness of their relationship, but it never seemed to me that that awkwardness never completely dissolved. If it had, Nick wouldn't have waited until the final episodes to tell Adalind he loved her, then take it all away with a swish of reversed time.

It doesn't even have to be fun. They could have a few spats. Awkwardness would certainly lead to that. For instance, does Adalind straighten up the fome? Does she ever get tired up picking up Nick's tidy whiteys?

I've seen posters simply take these sex scenes and doting over the baby as proof positive of a strong and healthy relationship between Nick and Adalind. Whatever works, but to me, neither one ever really revealed their true selves.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - rpmaluki - 12-31-2017

She was doing laundry on the morning they'd decided not to be in front of mirrors on their own and wasn't put off by it.

Nothing prevents Nick from telling her again that he loves her. He knows he's said it before so nothing is standing in his way to do it again so I don't think it's that big a deal that the staff oddly folded the past (coming back through the mirror the first time) and present (Zerstörer's death, Bonaparte's ring gone) together.

(12-31-2017, 10:49 AM)rpmaluki Wrote: She was doing laundry on the morning they'd decided not to be in front of mirrors on their own and wasn't put off by it.

I was asking if she ever got tired of picking up Nick's tidy whiteys, not if she got tired of doing wash. There's a difference.

(12-31-2017, 10:49 AM)rpmaluki Wrote: Nothing prevents Nick from telling her again that he loves her. He knows he's said it before so nothing is standing in his way to do it again so I don't think it's that big a deal that the staff oddly folded the past (coming back through the mirror the first time) and present (Zerstörer's death, Bonaparte's ring gone) together.

Nothing prevents him from telling her again that he loves her, and in the same token nothing compels him to tell her that he loves her and stick to it. He can always change time now to suit himself.

(12-31-2017, 10:45 AM)Henry of green Wrote: How did nick take it all away , Nick was shocked when the staff dragged him through the portal he had no idea what was going on. Plus do you you know for a fact the staff took it all away it’s up in the air what the staff took away and what it didn’t Adalinds ring remained gone so who’s to say some of the moments the charecters shared didn’t also remian.

So the ring disappeared, so what? How does Adalind connect that to Nick? As far as she knows, he was on the other side of the mirror.

(12-31-2017, 11:39 AM)Henry of green Wrote: Nick didn’t reverse telling Adalind he loves her he picked up the staff to revive his friends as zorstorer did to Trubel, Nick told Trubel this before picking it up To revive them. The staff dragged then him through the mirror when zorster dissapeard, Nick didn’t have a clue what was going on that’s why he was shocked when he came through the mirror and was so surprised his friends were back again till were they started . The ring being gone means not everything that happened in the other time was reversed some other things could have remained.

What Nick knew/didn't know has no relevance on the issue. What I'm saying is Nick's "I love you" to Adalind disappeared. It never happened because he reversed time.

(12-31-2017, 11:59 AM)Henry of green Wrote: So you say, if the ring remained gone the I love you could also remain.

No, I don't say that. I say the ring is gone, but Adalind cannot connect that event to Nick. He was in the other dimension. She saw him go and had the ring on her finger at that time.

Nick reversed time so the I love you to her disappeared with that reversal. It's as though it never happened.

(12-31-2017, 10:34 AM)irukandji Wrote: The creative team got past the length of their relationship by doing two things. First they had Nick take Adalind and baby under his wing. Second, Adalind apologized for what she'd done. I liked the awkwardness of their relationship, but it never seemed to me that that awkwardness never completely dissolved. If it had, Nick wouldn't have waited until the final episodes to tell Adalind he loved her, then take it all away with a swish of reversed time.

It doesn't even have to be fun. They could have a few spats. Awkwardness would certainly lead to that. For instance, does Adalind straighten up the fome? Does she ever get tired up picking up Nick's tidy whiteys?

I've seen posters simply take these sex scenes and doting over the baby as proof positive of a strong and healthy relationship between Nick and Adalind. Whatever works, but to me, neither one ever really revealed their true selves.
Moving the characters beyond their violent years of interaction didn’t establish them in a relationship. Nick & Adalind entered into an agreement to live together and raise their son, nothing more. It’s not that I disagree with you in general, it’s that I think what you’re referring to is the result of badly written adult interaction and gross oversight. G & K said they realized Nick/Adalind wasn’t moving in the direction they wanted and set about to correct it. Problem was, G & K assumed they could shift them in unexpected directions without explanation. Up to Adalind’s declaration of love, it was pretty obvious that both were relieved and perplexed that their arrangement was so much easier than either expected, and that they experienced feelings they didn’t understand. Then Adalind is suddenly desperately in love while Nick is experiencing levels of distrust he didn’t have in prior episodes. So while I agree Nick & Adalind behaved more like a couple through E9 than they did in E10 - E22, they were never in a relationship that would create couple-like moments.

Regardless of sloppy writing and oversight, viewers knew Adalind wanted a relationship in E12, but Nick was nowhere near wanting a relationship with Adalind beyond shared parenting. And until Nick expressed his desire for a relationship in S6E4, he and Adalind weren’t in a relationship based on anything other than maintaining a safe and loving home for their son. So Nick and Adalind as a couple existed from the end of S6E4 to S6E13. Even allowing a month per episode only gives them 9 months as an established couple, and the bulk of that was spent dealing with a step daughter who may or may not chose to dispose of Nick, a angry ex who may or may not try to use his daughter to dispose of Nick, and a demon from another dimension who wants to take over the world, in addition to an endless string of unnecessary WoW.

Robyn, are you convinced Nick and Adalind had a solid relationship by the end of the series?

(12-31-2017, 12:07 PM)Henry of green Wrote: You didn’t undstand me agian, you are making out like it’s 100 percent fact that the I love dissapeard when it’s not if the ring remained gone from the other timeline who’s is to say the I love you didn’t remain also in the new time line.
If time reset and no one died then nothing else happened either. Everyone thought Nick had gone through the mirror only minutes before, which means he and Adalind didn’t share an intimate moment outside the cabin. If anything, Adalind realizing the ring was suddenly gone should have caused a confused look. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought irukandji was saying that only Nick remembered his ‘I love you’ after the time reset, which makes sense unless Nick later told Adalind what happened before the time reset.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - Henry of green - 12-31-2017

Yes I agree with you and ,Irk , That’s more than likely what happen, but I was only saying we don’t no exactly how the whole time thing worked it was confusing beacuse somethings like the ring off the finger remained. So certain things from the other timeline remained. But I agree that the scene in the cabin has probably vanished unless Nick tells her of it but the main thing was hearing Nick admitting it out loud him, The time switch was very confusing.