Grimm Forum
Why Nick and Adalind clicked - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Why Nick and Adalind clicked (/Thread-Why-Nick-and-Adalind-clicked)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - brandon - 08-29-2017

Adalind was braver than Juliette and acted better even though she was looking for Nick's protection.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - wesen - 08-29-2017

That's what I've noticed. Nick likes feeling heroic and needed, especially to those he loves. He is old fashioned in that sense.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - irukandji - 08-29-2017

I think they were both willing to settle for less.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - dicappatore - 08-29-2017

IMO, and after 41 years of being married to the same woman, I have come to understand that a relationship is give and take and lots of compromising. And you also have to compl-e-ment each other. I am not talking about “Compl-i-menting each other” as in, “Honey, you did a good job”. Changing that “I” to an “E” has a whole different meaning. Complementing each other in a way that 'The whole is more than the sum of the two".

Years ago at a dinner party with a few other couples, the subject of equality in a relationship came up. One couple were eager to express that in their relationship, everything was 50 - 50, as in 50% - 50% input by them. I replied, well in our relationship, it’s more like 80% - 80%. The woman right away jumped on me to give me a math lesson on how, 80 plus 80 equals 160% not 100%. I gave her a lesson in relationship. First of all we are a couple because we complement each other, which means, most of the time we agree. Since we agree, there is no need to compromise.

When we do have a disagreement, that’s when the compromising of give and take comes in to play. For instance, I told this educated woman. When you met your beau, all I can recall you claiming that once you would marry him, He would have to change many things. How is that working for you? Better yet, how is it working for him? Why marry a guy that you claimed had issues? Which I followed up with. Never mind, It’s really non of my business, I was just trying to make a point.

Going back to Adalind and Nick. I see their relationship “Complementing” each other. What I saw between Nick and Juliette in season 1 through 4 was more of a 50% - 50% relationship with an inkling of a complementary relationship, even after the “Cat-out-of-the-bag” in season 3 and she is one of the scoobies.

Once Juliette turned, that 50% - 50% just did not work out. They both stood their grounds, talked a good talk. They did not complement each other. With Nick and Adalind, I see more commonalities.

I apologize if I am confusing on this. It’s more of a feeling, in my part, and hard to put to words.

(08-29-2017, 05:37 PM)dicappatore Wrote: IMO, and after 41 years of being married to the same woman, I have come to understand that a relationship is give and take and lots of compromising. And you also have to compl-e-ment each other. I am not talking about “Compl-i-menting each other” as in, “Honey, you did a good job”. Changing that “I” to an “E” has a whole different meaning. Complementing each other in a way that 'The whole is more than the sum of the two".

Years ago at a dinner party with a few other couples, the subject of equality in a relationship came up. One couple were eager to express that in their relationship, everything was 50 - 50, as in 50% - 50% input by them. I replied, well in our relationship, it’s more like 80% - 80%. The woman right away jumped on me to give me a math lesson on how, 80 plus 80 equals 160% not 100%. I gave her a lesson in relationship. First of all we are a couple because we complement each other, which means, most of the time we agree. Since we agree, there is no need to compromise.

When we do have a disagreement, that’s when the compromising of give and take comes in to play. For instance, I told this educated woman. When you met your beau, all I can recall you claiming that once you would marry him, He would have to change many things. How is that working for you? Better yet, how is it working for him? Why marry a guy that you claimed had issues? Which I followed up with. Never mind, It’s really non of my business, I was just trying to make a point.

Going back to Adalind and Nick. I see their relationship “Complementing” each other. What I saw between Nick and Juliette in season 1 through 4 was more of a 50% - 50% relationship with an inkling of a complementary relationship, even after the “Cat-out-of-the-bag” in season 3 and she is one of the scoobies.

Once Juliette turned, that 50% - 50% just did not work out. They both stood their grounds, talked a good talk. They did not complement each other. With Nick and Adalind, I see more commonalities.

I apologize if I am confusing on this. It’s more of a feeling, in my part, and hard to put to words.

Well said.

(08-29-2017, 04:36 PM)irukandji Wrote: I think they were both willing to settle for less.

As opposed to making too many demands of each other. Juliette couldn't accept Nick for who he really was, Nick couldn't handle Juliette as a hexenbiest and had to do so much effort just to please her. Even if Nadalind never happened, Nick and juliette would have eventually broken up. Nick would have eventually resented Juliette for making him choose to turn away from his life as a Grimm in his efforts to please her.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - rpmaluki - 08-29-2017

(08-29-2017, 07:29 PM)wesen Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 05:37 PM)dicappatore Wrote: IMO, and after 41 years of being married to the same woman, I have come to understand that a relationship is give and take and lots of compromising. And you also have to compl-e-ment each other. I am not talking about “Compl-i-menting each other” as in, “Honey, you did a good job”. Changing that “I” to an “E” has a whole different meaning. Complementing each other in a way that 'The whole is more than the sum of the two".

Well said.

(08-29-2017, 04:36 PM)irukandji Wrote: I think they were both willing to settle for less.

As opposed to making too many demands of each other. Juliette couldn't accept Nick for who he really was, Nick couldn't handle Juliette as a hexenbiest and had to do so much effort just to please her. Even if Nadalind never happened, Nick and juliette would have eventually broken up. Nick would have eventually resented Juliette for making him choose to turn away from his life as a Grimm in his efforts to please her.
Demands that neither could meet. Every compromise they made was tinged with regret instead of embraced for the betterment of the relationship. They were not striving to be on equal ground and benefitting from it. The cracks that showed at the beginning of the show grew bigger despite their temporary and superficial covering. Juliette turning into a hexenbiest was their biggest test in their relationship and they failed, for a couple that supposedly started off well, it sure ended horribly.

I don't believe pursuing and sustaining a second relationship is settling just because the one that came before it failed. Nick and Adalind, against all odds found the right person for them and despite having insurmountable baggage leading up to the relationship, they made it work for a good two decades. That doesn't sound like settling to me.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - irukandji - 08-29-2017

(08-29-2017, 07:29 PM)wesen Wrote: As opposed to making too many demands of each other. Juliette couldn't accept Nick for who he really was, Nick couldn't handle Juliette as a hexenbiest and had to do so much effort just to please her. Even if Nadalind never happened, Nick and juliette would have eventually broken up. Nick would have eventually resented Juliette for making him choose to turn away from his life as a Grimm in his efforts to please her.

You misunderstood my point. I'm saying that there weren't any prospects for Nick after Juliette left, and he certainly didn't advertise that he was available and looking for a relationship.

As for Adalind, what did she have after Renard? Not even a place to live. There weren't any men beating a path to her because she was so charming and wonderful.

Nick invited Adalind to live with him and she obliged. It was easy for them to hook up without the trials or tribulations a lot of people go through when they're in love. I think it's because the two of them figured no one else was going to come along for either of them, so they decided to settle for one another and in doing so, settled for less.

(08-29-2017, 09:08 PM)irukandji Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 07:29 PM)wesen Wrote: As opposed to making too many demands of each other. Juliette couldn't accept Nick for who he really was, Nick couldn't handle Juliette as a hexenbiest and had to do so much effort just to please her. Even if Nadalind never happened, Nick and juliette would have eventually broken up. Nick would have eventually resented Juliette for making him choose to turn away from his life as a Grimm in his efforts to please her.

You misunderstood my point. I'm saying that there weren't any prospects for Nick after Juliette left. As for Adalind, what did she have? Not even a place to live. I doubt Nick took her in, expecting a live in lover, but then you have to wonder, did the thought eventually cross his mind? It must have crossed Adalind's mind a time or two or she never would have told him she loved him. The two of them settled for less, meaning Nick meant nothing to Adalind prior to her moving in and she meant nothing to him prior to the move.
Or it could be argued that adalind and Nick were destined to be together all along, and fate brought them together eventually. The first woman that Nick saw after he bought an engagement ring wasn't juliette, it was adalind. She was also his first woge and his introduction to life as a Grimm. No matter how they despised each other and fought against each other, time and time again they seemed to be drawn back together due to unforeseen circumstances. Nick could just as easily have chosen to remain friends with Adalind, there was no reason for him to have started a relationship with her even after juliette left him. He was a handsome guy who happened to be a detective, there were plenty of women who would have wanted him. He could just as easily have chosen any other woman besides Adalind or even lived a solitary life like what juliette did in the end. It seems that juliette/Eve was the one who had no other prospects of a relationship after Nick. Adalind could just as easily have ended up choosing to merely co-parent Kelly with Nick, she had a choice in the end whether she wanted to remain with Nick or live independently with Kelly. She was offered her job back which would have allowed her to support Kelly as a single mother. However Nick and Adalind chose to be together, despite their horrible history, not just for the sake of their son but because they genuinely cared about each other. They couldn't seem to get enough of each other. They were either hugging, kissing, or snuggling closely together.

What I also noticed (I don't know if other posters have picked up on this) was Nick actually made a choice at the end of who he really wanted to be with. The magic stick allowed him to fulfil his heart's desire. If he had truly wanted a life with Juliette he could have changed everything to make it fit into what his ideal life with her would be. Instead we see him going back to a life with Adalind, Kelly and diana, and with Eve gaining back her hexenbiest powers.

(08-29-2017, 09:08 PM)irukandji Wrote:

You misunderstood my point. I'm saying that there weren't any prospects for Nick after Juliette left, and he certainly didn't advertise that he was available and looking for a relationship.

As for Adalind, what did she have after Renard? Not even a place to live. There weren't any men beating a path to her because she was so charming and wonderful.

Nick invited Adalind to live with him and she obliged. It was easy for them to hook up without the trials or tribulations a lot of people go through when they're in love. I think it's because the two of them figured no one else was going to come along for either of them, so they decided to settle for one another and in doing so, settled for less.
They did go through major issues as a couple, otherwise we wouldn't have seen them acting distantly towards each other. They had a difficult time opening up towards each other and had a lot of trust issues. Unlike Nick and Juliette though, they were able to overcome it, maybe because their personalities complemented each other more than Nick and Juliette's ever did. And like I said they were under no obligation to hook up, both could just as easily have remained merely friendly for the sake of their child. The show also emphasised the idea of destiny, that everything that happened was meant to happen, so this would actually mean that Nick and Adalind didn't settle for less. Instead they ended up together because they were soul mates all along and they were destined to be together.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - dicappatore - 08-29-2017

(08-29-2017, 09:43 PM)wesen Wrote: Or it could be argued that adalind and Nick were destined to be together all along, and fate brought them together eventually. The first woman that Nick saw after he bought an engagement ring wasn't juliette, it was adalind. She was also his first woge and his introduction to life as a Grimm. No matter how they despised each other and fought against each other, time and time again they seemed to be drawn back together due to unforeseen circumstances. Nick could just as easily have chosen to remain friends with Adalind, there was no reason for him to have started a relationship with her even after juliette left him. He was a handsome guy who happened to be a detective, there were plenty of women who would have wanted him. He could just as easily have chosen any other woman besides Adalind or even lived a solitary life like what juliette did in the end. It seems that juliette/Eve was the one who had no other prospects of a relationship after Nick. Adalind could just as easily have ended up choosing to merely co-parent Kelly with Nick, she had a choice in the end whether she wanted to remain with Nick or live independently with Kelly. She was offered her job back which would have allowed her to support Kelly as a single mother. However Nick and Adalind chose to be together, despite their horrible history, not just for the sake of their son but because they genuinely cared about each other. They couldn't seem to get enough of each other. They were either hugging, kissing, or snuggling closely together.

What I also noticed (I don't know if other posters have picked up on this) was Nick actually made a choice at the end of who he really wanted to be with. The magic stick allowed him to fulfil his heart's desire. If he had truly wanted a life with Juliette he could have changed everything to make it fit into what his ideal life with her would be. Instead we see him going back to a life with Adalind, Kelly and diana, and with Eve gaining back her hexenbiest powers.

They did go through major issues as a couple, otherwise we wouldn't have seen them acting distantly towards each other. They had a difficult time opening up towards each other and had a lot of trust issues. Unlike Nick and Juliette though, they were able to overcome it, maybe because their personalities complemented each other more than Nick and Juliette's ever did. And like I said they were under no obligation to hook up, both could just as easily have remained merely friendly for the sake of their child. The show also emphasised the idea of destiny, that everything that happened was meant to happen, so this would actually mean that Nick and Adalind didn't settle for less. Instead they ended up together because they were soul mates all along and they were destined to be together.

wesen, your interpretation is not just an argument, it’s what happened. Take that one episode that someone brought up in the Episode Discussion thread of Season 1, E16, The Things with Feathers. WTF was her compromising in that whole episode. Nick went way beyond bending backwards to meet her demands. At the end, he gets involved in law enforcement matters that were out of his jurisdiction.

She refuses his proposal for keeping to himself. After she spent a whole weekend getting involved in other people’s marital issues complains about how troubles seem to follow them. If that was me, after she rejected my proposal, my response would have been.

Really bitch. You have the balls to say how troubles follow us after I spent my hard-earned cash to get away for a romantic weekend and all you did was look for crap to get involved in on a weekend that was meant to spend time with each other? And you wonder why I keep my job shitz to myself? Fine, you don’t want to marry me yet? I think it’s time we spend some time away from each other and see if we are meant to be. Pack up your stuff and find somewhere else to live for a while! Let’s put this, whatever you call it, to the test!

I know in the beginning of this thread, it was posted not to make this into another Adalind vs Juliette thread but you have to if you want to show why Nick and Adalind clicked and Nick and Juliette did not.

Where was her compromising of anything? After the local LE shows up at the house and does nothing about it, she blames Nick by cutting him off before they even went to bed. We can all surmise that it wasn’t gonna be a romantic evening in bed that night. Too bad she wasn’t a Hex yet, at this time of the game. She would have probably handled it herself. Screwed the abusive husband for spite before she made him member disappear, blow up his head, walk away happy and maybe Nick would have gotten laid too!

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - FaceInTheCrowd - 08-29-2017

Nick and Adalind always reminded me of the boy and girl who hated each other since kindergarten but ended up engaged by the time they graduated high school.