Grimm Forum
Why Nick and Adalind clicked - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Why Nick and Adalind clicked (/Thread-Why-Nick-and-Adalind-clicked)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Why Nick and Adalind clicked - wesen - 08-29-2017

I don't want to turn this into an Adalind vs Juliette bashing thread, I just want to give out some of the reasons why I think Adalind and Nick clicked much more than Nick and Juliette did.

1) Both had similar lonely childhoods, suffering from abandonment/emotionally absent parents.

2) Shared a similar sense of humour.

3) Made an effort to compromise with each other, and accepted the other for who they were, flaws and all.

4) Opened up to each other about any problems between them, and any secrets they held. Trust was a big issue for them, but they were able to overcome it.

5) They both had an overwhelming desire to have a family and were devoted to their children.

6) Both homebodies.

7) They liked each other's cooking.

8) Both invested in the wesen world.

9) Adalind seems to be more easygoing, warm and affectionate towards Nick. She seemed to know how to make Nick feel safe, normal and secure, despite the horrible
experiences he went through. Nick, when he allowed himself to love Adalind, was devoted, loyal, and a good lover and father.

10) Had sexual chemistry. I know this sounds rather juvenile to some posters, but I think this physical desire for one another is important when it comes to relationships. It shows that their identities weren't just tied to being parents, they were first and foremost passionate lovers whose love affair lasted 20 years.

11) Fiercely loyal to the people they love. This is shown in the beginning where Adalind was willing to do whatever Renard wanted, due to her love for him. Nick fought hard to get Juliette back.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - rpmaluki - 08-29-2017

I agree on pretty much everything except for #7. I think it's too inconsequential to why they work. I liked how they were at least shown to fix the issues between them. It wasn't instantaneous but it wasn't swept under the rug either. I feel they had the same wants and needs, one of which was acceptance/understanding of who/what they were, subpar writing aside.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - jsgrimm45 - 08-29-2017

I would add this their relationship was made to the most complex on the series from episode 1 on. The writers were going to get the two of them together the how likely changed when Ms. Coffee was really PG. This gave them a way for baby Kelly to be the uniting force.

Everyone who doesn't have the DVD's will not see the deleted scenes where Nick and Adalind move closer together, because as someone point out Grimm was the WOW show.

Could we add also Adalind moved into the fome without question, not as she said a child friendly place, but understands Nick's reasons, we only started to see BC but Nick's other home wouldn't have been safe for them. She accepted Nick word that he would protect her and Kelly equally. The phone call for Germany Nick first ask if she was ok then Kelly, speaking for myself only I think that was a telling point.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - dicappatore - 08-29-2017

The biggie, I think, is the fact that they shared a child. At first, it might have forced them to be under the same roof due to an unplanned child between them. But the love they had for baby Kelly blossomed into what became of the two. IMO, Loving the same child was a big click.

(08-29-2017, 08:35 AM)dicappatore Wrote: The biggie, I think, is the fact that they shared a child. At first, it might have forced them to be under the same roof due to an unplanned child between them. But the love they had for baby Kelly blossomed into what became of the two. IMO, Loving the same child was a big click.
Baby Kelly certainly played a big role in getting these two together. Without him they would never have been living under the same roof. However, I don't think the stayed together because of him. Once they realised they had feelings for one another, they cautioned against going any further because it had to be about them and not about Kelly or some other reason.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - wesen - 08-29-2017

(08-29-2017, 08:35 AM)dicappatore Wrote: The biggie, I think, is the fact that they shared a child. At first, it might have forced them to be under the same roof due to an unplanned child between them. But the love they had for baby Kelly blossomed into what became of the two. IMO, Loving the same child was a big click.
that's true that baby Kelly was a big factor in why they ended up together, but it could have easily gone the other way as well. They could have remained cordial but detached from each other, just focusing purely in being co-parents to Kelly. This happened between Renard and Adalind, who both love Diana, and committed to co-parenting her. In fact, those two should have connected more so than Nick and Adalind seeing as they were allies from the start, and shared the same heritage (hexenbiest/zaurbiest). But their personalities were a mismatch and they just didn't have the kind of spark that drew Adalind and Nick together.

(08-29-2017, 08:46 AM)wesen Wrote:
that's true that baby Kelly was a big factor in why they ended up together, but it could have easily gone the other way as well. They could have remained cordial but detached from each other, just focusing purely in being co-parents to Kelly. This happened between Renard and Adalind, who both love Diana, and committed to co-parenting her. In fact, those two should have connected more so than Nick and Adalind seeing as they were allies from the start, and shared the same heritage (hexenbiest/zaurbiest). But their personalities were a mismatch and they just didn't have the kind of spark that drew Adalind and Nick together.

As for Renard, He was a Royal. If he ever showed any affection for Adalind or any other commoner, it was to use them, including Juliette. He shags her after he kicks her out of his abode. What a nice guy. Which brings me to another reason Nick and Adalind clicked. They were both “commoners”, from working class stiffs.

I know, many in this country don’t see too much differences between working class and upper class except for how deep their wallet can be. But this series is based on European Society. In Europe and in other many parts of the world, your class isn’t based on how deep your wallet is. It’s determined based on heritage.

Chalk up another click for Nick and Adalind. They were both commoners.

RE: Why Nick and Adalind clicked - brandon - 08-29-2017

Perhaps also because they wanted the same: "a family".

(08-29-2017, 06:55 AM)wesen Wrote: 7) They liked each other's cooking.
In one or two occasions I have seen or heard both, Adalind and Juliette, either claim to make a Bolognese or actually make a Bolognese for a dinner. And I am sure Nick loved it.

Well "Lo and Behold"!. That's what I am making tonight. We love this sauce way before Grimm series aired. It's an old, hand-me-down recipe from my mom.

(08-29-2017, 10:19 AM)dicappatore Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 08:46 AM)wesen Wrote:

As for Renard, He was a Royal. If he ever showed any affection for Adalind or any other commoner, it was to use them, including Juliette. He shags her after he kicks her out of his abode. What a nice guy. Which brings me to another reason Nick and Adalind clicked. They were both “commoners”, from working class stiffs.

I know, many in this country don’t see too much differences between working class and upper class except for how deep their wallet can be. But this series is based on European Society. In Europe and in other many parts of the world, your class isn’t based on how deep your wallet is. It’s determined based on heritage.

Chalk up another click for Nick and Adalind. They were both commoners.
This is something to think about but with Renard's bastard status, he was an outcast. At the beginning of the show he wanted to get the key as an means to not only get in with the family, but to garner some power of his own as well. He was the son of the king but one with very limited if no influence at all. Renard's rejection by his family and tumultuous upbringing were enough to sour any desire for family. He loves and adores Diana but that doesn't extend to Adalind. If he dumped her unceremoniously for losing her powers (I don't think he was into her beyond using her), nothing would ever soften him towards her. Adalind realised this in S1 that's why she punished him with the obsession spell.

Adalind fell for Nick because he treated her kindly, better than she expected or felt she deserved after what they did to each other. Nick fell for her because he saw a very different Adalind, one that was softer, nurturing and humble. It helps that he gets to play hero and it wasn't rebuffed, in fact it was welcome.