Grimm Forum
S03E03 - A Dish Best Served Cold - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 3 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-3)
+---- Thread: S03E03 - A Dish Best Served Cold (/Thread-S03E03-A-Dish-Best-Served-Cold)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: S03E03 - A Dish Best Served Cold - Grimm Up North - 11-10-2013

(11-09-2013, 01:24 PM)Abc10 Wrote:
(11-09-2013, 09:29 AM)speakeasy Wrote:
(11-09-2013, 08:52 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: The captain was kind of rude to Nick, I don't remember him talking to Nick this way before. I don't see Nick as a unscruplous Wesen-killer, does the captain?

Agreed. I've don't recall him speaking like that to Nick before either; usually it's Nick who has an aggressive tone in his voice when they talk. Maybe this cold-hearted Captain has a bit of a conscience after all and is feeling the same kind of guilt he senses in Nick about ordering the murder of his cousin, Eric. Conscience over having to do violence is the distinction between being willing to do what it one feels is necessary and being a monster with no regret over taking a life, so I hope so.

That was one of my favorite scenes Smile Maybe Renard got a little irritated because Nick kept complaining about killing that guy? But Renard is right, Nick just feels guilty because the guy wasn't wesen... He did kill some wesen but the captain maked it sound like he's some evil grimm who kills every wesen he sees (because of the ''that's what grimms do, isn't it''). But is was the hard truth..

Loved this scene too, and the episode in general. Sometimes I prefer the simple wesen of the week formula, and I did feel the first two episodes of this season were very linear (however necessary that was).
In terms of the scene with Nick and the Captain, I think it served a couple of purposes. Firstly, it kind of reaffirmed the Captain as a character who's true intentions toward Nick are somewhat murky. Over the last couple of episodes he has shown lots of concern for Nick - sometimes bordering on the fatherly. This redresses that to an extent.
Secondly, I think the writers felt a timely reminder that Nick is perfectly prepared to kill wesen if it is unavoidable would make his later 'shooting' of Monroe more believable.

Also, I thought the Raven & Rose looked like a wonderful place - the building itself was beautiful. Has anybody here eaten there in the past?

RE: S03E03 - A Dish Best Served Cold - HellJacket - 11-10-2013

(11-09-2013, 12:09 PM)GrimmForum Wrote: "Grimm" (1.3/4 in 18-49, 4.9 million viewers overall at 9 p.m. ET) built on its lead-in by 30% in 18-49 rating. "Grimm" maintained or increased its rating from half-hour to half-hour in every key demo. In total viewers, "Grimm" retained 99% of last week's result (4.935 million vs. 4.960 million).

Let me add some context to the above numbers. This current fall season, NBC's scripted average currently sits around a 1.6 18-49 demo rating (the overall average is around a 3.0 demo rating with The Voice and Sunday Night Football, but that's not relevant for renewal purposes). Therefore, that 1.3 demo rating is almost 20% below the average. While not terrible, that's not good by any measure. While it's pretty certain that Grimm will be renewed this season, if that demo rating keeps dropping, fans should expect Season 4 to be Grimm's last one with a reduced budget. Think season 5 of Chuck for a comparison.

The comment about building on its lead-in is something many fans like to point to as a good thing, but is pretty meaningless at the end of the day. It is sad though. Grimm would probably have gone for 5-7 seasons if it ever had a real lead-in to grow it's audience. Oh well. Four seasons is something many shows don't get.

RE: S03E03 - A Dish Best Served Cold - Abc10 - 11-11-2013

(11-10-2013, 10:06 PM)HellJacket Wrote:
(11-09-2013, 12:09 PM)GrimmForum Wrote: "Grimm" (1.3/4 in 18-49, 4.9 million viewers overall at 9 p.m. ET) built on its lead-in by 30% in 18-49 rating. "Grimm" maintained or increased its rating from half-hour to half-hour in every key demo. In total viewers, "Grimm" retained 99% of last week's result (4.935 million vs. 4.960 million).

Let me add some context to the above numbers. This current fall season, NBC's scripted average currently sits around a 1.6 18-49 demo rating (the overall average is around a 3.0 demo rating with The Voice and Sunday Night Football, but that's not relevant for renewal purposes). Therefore, that 1.3 demo rating is almost 20% below the average. While not terrible, that's not good by any measure. While it's pretty certain that Grimm will be renewed this season, if that demo rating keeps dropping, fans should expect Season 4 to be Grimm's last one with a reduced budget. Think season 5 of Chuck for a comparison.

The comment about building on its lead-in is something many fans like to point to as a good thing, but is pretty meaningless at the end of the day. It is sad though. Grimm would probably have gone for 5-7 seasons if it ever had a real lead-in to grow it's audience. Oh well. Four seasons is something many shows don't get.

I hope it definitely gets more than 4 seasons. And if the show keeps getting better there's a chance more people will watch so it will get more seasons.
For example Heroes only got 4 seasons, but I personally think the first was the best (altough it was not a great show) , the others got worse (this is what I think about it of course).
I think a lot of people will say Grimm gets better (so for season 3 is my favorite) so just keep watching the show and maybe it will get like 6 seasons. One can only hope Rolleyes

RE: S03E03 - A Dish Best Served Cold - HellJacket - 11-11-2013

(11-11-2013, 06:02 AM)Abc10 Wrote: I think a lot of people will say Grimm gets better (so for season 3 is my favorite) so just keep watching the show and maybe it will get like 6 seasons. One can only hope Rolleyes
I think Grimm is clearly getting worse, but at the same time, I'd say it's getting more consistent. I'd rank the seasons as follows:

Season 1 (best)
Season 2 (good)
Season 3 (average/only ok)

The thing is, the worst episodes of the entire series are from Season 1. However, the best episodes were also from Season 1 (i.e., the Pilot, the Angelina episode, Three Coins in a Fuchsbau, Cat and Mouse, Game Ogre, Leave it to Beavers, the Ariel Dragonfeuer episode and the finale). In Season 2, I thought the opening 2 episodes, the return of Angelina, and the midseason finale were great, but there were no great ones besides those (definitely not the zombie ones). We are here at season 3, and while I thought the first three episodes were all OK, they weren't particularly memorable in my opinion.

I was also a fan of Heroes who mainly loved only the first season. The problem with Heroes is that it lived and died with its overall plot. On Grimm, the show's overall plot can suck, but because of the mythology and characters it can still get by for a while. That's what the Grimm feels like right now. The show is just getting by.

/Is totally aware that other people will disagree one what qualifies as great episodes from each season

RE: S03E03 - A Dish Best Served Cold - Abc10 - 11-11-2013

(11-11-2013, 09:35 AM)HellJacket Wrote:
(11-11-2013, 06:02 AM)Abc10 Wrote: I think most people will say Grimm gets better (so for season 3 is my favorite) so just keep watching the show and maybe it will get like 6 seasons. One can only hope Rolleyes
I think Grimm is clearly getting worse, but at the same time, I'd say it's getting more consistent. I'd rank the seasons as follows:

Season 1 (best)
Season 2 (good)
Season 3 (average/only ok)

The thing is, the worst episodes of the entire series are from Season 1. However, the best episodes were also from Season 1 (i.e., the Pilot, the Angelina episode, Three Coins in a Fuchsbau, Cat and Mouse, Game Ogre, Leave it to Beavers, the Ariel Dragonfeuer episode and the finale). In Season 2, I thought the opening 2 episodes, the return of Angelina, and the midseason finale were great, but there were no great ones besides those (definitely not the zombie ones). We are here at season 3, and while I thought the first three episodes were all OK, they weren't particularly memorable in my opinion.

I was also a fan of Heroes who mainly loved only the first season. The problem with Heroes is that it lived and died with its overall plot. On Grimm, the show's overall plot can suck, but because of the mythology and characters it can still get by for a while. That's what the Grimm feels like right now. The show is just getting by.

/Is totally aware that other people will disagree one what qualifies as great episodes from each season

My favorite episodes were mostly from season 1 too but I think this season is also good Smile Also loved season 2 but Juliette's amnesia really bothered me... The zombie episodes from season 2 weren't really great for me, I personally liked those from season 3 more but I'm also glad it ended by the half of the second one. Everyone has his own opinion but this season is my favorite so far Smile It think it's also because of the characters: if you compare Nick now to season 1 Nick, he looks a lot more grimm-ish now which is always good, the Monroe-Rosalee relationship is getting more serious, Hank and Juliette are into the secret (still waiting for Wu), I read were going to see Rosalee's parents in episode 11 ...

RE: S03E03 - A Dish Best Served Cold - speakeasy - 11-12-2013

(11-09-2013, 12:23 AM)pale boy Wrote: [color=#32CD32][size=medium][font=Times New Roman] Then there was the continuing plot with Renard & his buddy (can't remember his name). But (surprise) Renard knows that Adalind is pregnant, apparently. Well. Didn't see that coming. Also, going by her blood tears, she must be back to full Hexenbiest status. Finally, her work with Frau Pech is complete. (That stuff was getting hilariously gruesome.)

Caught that one the rewatch...Sebastien takes a picture of Adalind in Room 215, as Renard directed him to find out who was in it. S would have sent it to R right after taking it. So the Captain knows. Adalind probably should have gone on the internet to try to get her powers back and saved herself some big trouble.

Keep chewing on that scene between Nick and Sean. Is the Captain saying "Grow up, you're going to have to live with moral ambiguity from now on?" Or was it, as Grimm Up North suggests, a more practical writer's device to set us up for Monroe's death scene (in which he emotes shamelessly!)?

Hope we all help the victims of the typhoon, if possible.

RE: S03E03 - A Dish Best Served Cold - droid327 - 11-12-2013

Sebastien, not Sebastian, he's French after all Smile

And if the Captain seemed a little short with Nick, its probably because he's got bigger things on his mind....he just assassinated his half-brother, and was forced to set in motion major political machinations that he probably did not want to start this early. He knows(?) that Adalind is carrying his baby, which could be the key to reclaiming control of the Family.

And then Nick, his main weapon and asset in Portland, is going all emo about accidentally killing a guy and talked about turning himself in, which would seriously compromise Renard's position. After, no less, he's killed dozens of Wesen before. As a Wesen himself, who just killed his half-brother for the cause of Wesen 'civil rights' (for lack of a better analogy), thats gotta be pretty frustrating.

As for the episode itself...a little predictable. Monroe 'acting like he's acting' is too much of a telegraph. And I dont know why they had to go with such a set piece, you'd think just getting him alone in a room and doing a little "good Grimm, bad Blutbad" with a couple of them would have much the same effect. Give me that confession, or I walk away, close the door, and let them turn you into a BLT.

Incidentally, would that confession even stand up in court? It seems awfully forced, with no corroborating evidence they showed, and he still seemed too defiant. I wish they had established his compliance a little better - maybe something like he wanted to confess and go to jail, because Nick really scared him good and he was convinced that'd be the only place he was safe from the Blutbaden - just as the police cant prove that a Bauerschwein was out to murder Blutbaden, he also cant go to the police and explain how a pack of murderous Blutbaden are out to get him for being a Bauerschwein.

RE: S03E03 - A Dish Best Served Cold - HellJacket - 11-12-2013

(11-12-2013, 10:33 AM)droid327 Wrote: Incidentally, would that confession even stand up in court? It seems awfully forced, with no corroborating evidence they showed, and he still seemed too defiant.

I'll just summarize the answer to this really quick. This confession based on the actual content and the circumstances behind it would be the easiest thing in the world to toss out. What needs to happen though is Nick needs him to plea before a judge to the confession and get sentenced. Standard to any plea agreement is a waiver of future appeals. If the bauerschwein decides to fight this confession at trial or in any number of other ways, it won't hold up.

However, once he is sentenced, it becomes really really tricky to overcome it. Then you get into Habeas Proceedings. What many people don't understand (and I'm far from an expert on the matter) is that simple "innocence" is usually not enough to overturn a conviction. You usually need to show something was done wrong in the legal proceeding.

RE: S03E03 - A Dish Best Served Cold - Lou - 11-13-2013

(11-12-2013, 10:33 AM)droid327 Wrote: He knows(?) that Adalind is carrying his baby, which could be the key to reclaiming control of the Family.

Not sure that follows.
All he know for sure is that Frau Pesh met up with someone in that room and that Adalind is staying there. And that Frau Pesh knew someone was pregnant with royal blood. Of course, it doesn't take a genius to connect the dots but its still somewhat tenuous. Also, although Renard know he "slept" with Adalind, he also knows that Adalind was "staying" with Eric. So he can't be sure whose baby it is - although that that may not even matter.

RE: S03E03 - A Dish Best Served Cold - HellJacket - 11-13-2013

(11-13-2013, 10:44 AM)Lou Wrote: All he know for sure is that Frau Pesh met up with someone in that room and that Adalind is staying there. And that Frau Pesh knew someone was pregnant with royal blood. Of course, it doesn't take a genius to connect the dots but its still somewhat tenuous. Also, although Renard know he "slept" with Adalind, he also knows that Adalind was "staying" with Eric. So he can't be sure whose baby it is - although that that may not even matter.
What I can't figure out with this whole "OH NO, SOMEONE IS CARRYING A BABY WITH ROYAL BLOOD" fiasco, is that Sean and Eric should be aware of this possible concurrence with banging strangers. Therefore, why did neither of them use a condom with Adalind? In Eric's case, if he's regularly chasing tail, Europe should be riddled with his bastards by now. Therefore, Royal blood shouldn't be all that rare.

Or maybe the writers want me to suspend disbelief and ignore this obvious problem with their plot.