Grimm Forum
S6E03 - Oh Captain, My Captain - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 6 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-6)
+---- Thread: S6E03 - Oh Captain, My Captain (/Thread-S6E03-Oh-Captain-My-Captain)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: S6E03 - Oh Captain, My Captain - Robyn - 01-22-2017

(01-22-2017, 02:03 PM)irukandji Wrote: It was a big letdown. I actually liked the idea of an uprising at first. But the premise of the uprising didn't make a lot of sense to me. Apparently it didn't make a lot of sense to most of the wesen and humans, otherwise they'd have had a bigger following and been able to successfully begin their campaign for Black Claw.
I was impressed with the S5 layout - Wesen uprising/BC a global threat, combated by HW an off the books government operation, Juliette as a laser focused operative who had made a new life for herself, Meisner, Nick and Adalind going toe to toe trying to live together without killing each other…

Then nada. I think I lasted seven episodes. The plan was to stay for all of S6 since there’s only thirteen, but I don’t see that happening.

(01-22-2017, 02:09 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: BC was like most real-world terrorist groups. They may have the ability to take over a city here or there and to inspire followers to riot in the streets or drive trucks through crowds, but tactically they are nothing more than a bee stinging an elephant. Their real ability to have global impact comes from the public fear they can generate that drives people to change the way they live their lives and to give their support to demagogues. Kind of a hard to do when you're keeping your movement secret, isn't it?
The political takeover would have worked if Bonaparte had focused on the bigger picture, inserting voter accepted people who are easily controlled. It was really dumb for him to attack the Grimm’s personal life before having all his players in place. That Grimm lineage book wasn’t going anywhere, he didn’t need it, Adalind, or Diana to get his hand selected people into political offices. And all three would be within reach after his front man was elected.

(01-22-2017, 02:09 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: And yes, HW was totally unnecessary. Everything they did in Portland could have been done by a specially vetted FBI task force located in the federal building in downtown PDX, and overseas by the CIA working in conjunction with other countries' intelligence. Someone in DC just jumped at the chance to create another acronym with its own budget and secret base.
Considering it all boiled down to Nick’s personal agenda against Renard/BC, they could have kept Chavez alive as Nick’s contact with the FBI taskforce. The show didn’t need to invest time or money into creating a task room for viewers to occasionally glimpse.

RE: S6E03 - Oh Captain, My Captain - irukandji - 01-22-2017

(01-22-2017, 02:36 PM)Robyn Wrote:
(01-22-2017, 02:03 PM)irukandji Wrote: It was a big letdown. I actually liked the idea of an uprising at first. But the premise of the uprising didn't make a lot of sense to me. Apparently it didn't make a lot of sense to most of the wesen and humans, otherwise they'd have had a bigger following and been able to successfully begin their campaign for Black Claw.
I was impressed with the S5 layout - Wesen uprising/BC a global threat, combated by HW an off the books government operation, Juliette as a laser focused operative who had made a new life for herself, Meisner, Nick and Adalind going toe to toe trying to live together without killing each other…

Then nada. I think I lasted seven episodes. The plan was to stay for all of S6 since there’s only thirteen, but I don’t see that happening.

I liked it at first as well, but then it all went back to a pet peeve I have had with Grimm since it aired which is the complete lack of background on wesen. Yes, we had Monroe bringing up bits and pieces and Nick's Grimm diaries, and an occasional backstory or two. But there really was never any background to show the reasons why wesen felt they were so oppressed they had to revolt. I know they weren't able to woge in public and somewhere along the line it was those mean and horrible humans who prevented them from performing their customs and rituals. Which is odd in itself as humans couldn't even see them unless they wanted to be seen.

Without seeing firsthand how important woging was to them or why they felt their customs shouldn't quietly fade into history is a mystery to me and so is the revolution to make it so.

RE: S6E03 - Oh Captain, My Captain - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-22-2017

(01-22-2017, 02:36 PM)Robyn Wrote: Considering it all boiled down to Nick’s personal agenda against Renard/BC, they could have kept Chavez alive as Nick’s contact with the FBI taskforce.

I think Elizabeth Rodriguez already doing roles on four other TV series besides Grimm at the same time in 2015 probably made that impractical.

(01-22-2017, 03:04 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote:
(01-22-2017, 02:36 PM)Robyn Wrote: Considering it all boiled down to Nick’s personal agenda against Renard/BC, they could have kept Chavez alive as Nick’s contact with the FBI taskforce.

I think Elizabeth Rodriguez already doing roles on four other TV series besides Grimm at the same time in 2015 probably made that impractical.
Okay, semantics. Tongue The character dies and is replaced with another character who is taking her position on the task force. Nick only needs one link to this FBI task force to show that he’s not working alone. But we still don’t need to see all the players on the task force or their actual place of operations.

(01-22-2017, 02:47 PM)irukandji Wrote: But there really was never any background to show the reasons why wesen felt they were so oppressed they had to revolt.

Most of them didn't, which is why the vast majority of wesen Nick's met who weren't criminals were happily living perfectly ordinary lives.

The wesen who felt they had to revolt were most likely the usual collection of society's losers looking for someone else to blame for the crappy lives they had to live after not finishing high school, with a few added people higher up on the social ladder expecting to marshall the cannon fodder and become the power elite of the new world order. G&K dropped a few hints early on that BC was meant to represent a global terror movement like ISIL, but the BC that we ended up seeing on the screen looked more like Stormfront.

(01-22-2017, 03:10 PM)Robyn Wrote: Okay, semantics. Tongue The character dies and is replaced with another character who is taking her position on the task force. Nick only needs one link to this FBI task force to show that he’s not working alone. But we still don’t need to see all the players on the task force or their actual place of operations.

Chavez' FBI taskforce assignment was just her day job. The task force was not working on BC and none of the FBI agents who reported to her on it knew anything about Grimms or wesen.

Chavez' place in the fight against BC was as part of HW, and her replacement character was Meisner.

(01-22-2017, 03:13 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: Chavez' FBI taskforce assignment was just her day job. The task force was not working on BC and none of the FBI agents who reported to her on it knew anything about Grimms or wesen.

Chavez' place in the fight against BC was as part of HW, and her replacement character was Meisner.

Ugh. How about this? A stranger comes up to Nick. “There is a Wesen organization intent on infiltrating key political offices, one of their cells is in Portland. I’m part of an off the books government task force assigned to make sure that doesn’t happen. Keep this phone with you at all times, it’s our only method of contact once I walk away. You’ll receive updates as they come available. May the force be with you.”

Meisner would only replace Chavez if HW was in play. Or he could be the lone task force contact who is rarely seen and Nick and viewers never see the inside of the task room. It's just Nick getting helpful information while he's front and center in all the action.

This way the show doesn't invest in unnecessary salaries and sets only to have it destroyed just before Nick grabs his trusty stick and performs his one-man show. Or is it a man and his stick show? Tongue

RE: S6E03 - Oh Captain, My Captain - speakeasy - 01-22-2017

There was a Wesen Council to regulate and punish any wesen who used their superior strength and ability to woge to intimidate, harm, or cheat humans. Since the BC killed off the Council members, it tells me their leadership intend to dominate and subjugate Kehrseite. That old Bonaparte was one of the founders of the BC organization.

It may be that their recruiting methods are fashioned to create a feeling of being marginalized or having to hide their true natures to persuade otherwise peaceful wesen to the movement, but at it's core it's rotten and corrupt, imo. Conquer, conquer, why do some groups strive to oppress others, it's going on in the real world as I type this post.

(01-22-2017, 03:36 PM)Robyn Wrote: Ugh. How about this? A stranger comes up to Nick. “There is a Wesen organization intent on infiltrating key political offices, one of their cells is in Portland. I’m part of an off the books government task force assigned to make sure that doesn’t happen. Keep this phone with you at all times, it’s our only method of contact once I walk away. You’ll receive updates as they come available. May the force be with you.”

That's exactly what Chavez did after her task force was called in to investigate the death of FBI Agent Weston Steward and she saw a Grimm book in Nick's house. She went to the precinct and woged in front of Nick, and had Nick seen it she would have made first contact between him and HW. But he didn't see it because he'd lost his Grimm at the time, so she moved on to the next candidate (Trubel).

When she found out that Nick really was a Grimm after all, she immediately wanted to bring him into HW.

(01-22-2017, 05:07 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: That's exactly what Chavez did after her task force was called in to investigate the death of FBI Agent Weston Steward and she saw a Grimm book in Nick's house. She went to the precinct and woged in front of Nick, and had Nick seen it she would have made first contact between him and HW. But he didn't see it because he'd lost his Grimm at the time, so she moved on to the next candidate (Trubel).
Yay! And that would have been enough to establish the rarely seen or heard government entity. Going inside an HW compound wasn't necessary. A Chavez-type agent would pass on intel and instructions as needed, and Nick would take charge instead of coasting along until Adalind left with Kelly.

I barely remember that event. Had Nick seen the woge, he would have been kidnapped instead of Trubel?

Good question. Nick was a cop and Trubel wasn't, so that might have made a difference.