Grimm Forum
For All Star Trek Fans - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Television Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Television-Forum)
+--- Forum: TV Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-TV-Discussions)
+--- Thread: For All Star Trek Fans (/Thread-For-All-Star-Trek-Fans)

RE: For All Star Trek Fans - FaceInTheCrowd - 10-14-2022

I think the exchange between Kirk and Spock in the briefing room was the forerunner of what would become the Kirk-Spock-McCoy triad model for Kirk's decision making process. Typically, Spock would express cold, hard reality and McCoy the agonizing human price of the decision that had to be made. And Kirk needs this interplay prior to making his decisions so that the audience won't perceive him as either cold and uncaring or wishy-washy weak. In the pilot, they didn't think to give Piper the McCoy leg of the triad, and Kirk's initial refusal to consider stranding Mitchell makes him seem less decisive as the stalwart, focused hero character that 60s TV required.

I mostly remember Gary Lockwood's roles as relatively bland characters. Mitchell seemed to be his chance to have fun chewing scenery. Although from what I've read, he mostly remembers it for the way the silver contact lenses made his eyes swell up. Ouch.

RE: For All Star Trek Fans - irukandji - 10-15-2022

I read somewhere that he had trouble seeing out of them. 

Mitchell was a human, and just as frail as the crewmen on the Valiant. Medically speaking, could he really survive being able to discharge lightning from his hands at will without severe damage to himself? He said he would just keep getting stronger, which is all fine and good, but I was was wondering if the real way to end him was just to let him get stronger until his body could no longer take the strain. He was already gray around the temples near the end. I wondered if he was going to turn into some kind of metal man and then die.

RE: For All Star Trek Fans - FaceInTheCrowd - 10-15-2022

I saw an interview in which Lockwood said he couldn't see out of them at all, and that after the first couple of days of shooting his eyes swelled up and he could only wear them for a minute or two at a time.

I think it's entirely possible that Mitchell would keep getting greyer and older as he became more powerful and eventually burn out on his own, like an incandescent light bulb that becomes brighter just before the filament burns out. No telling how powerful he might get before that happens, though. Maybe enough to reach out from Delta Vega and destroy other planets and solar systems?

OTOH, nobody in any Trek has ever gone back to Delta Vega, and there was no mention of whether Mitchell's body was recovered. So maybe he ended up repowering and pushing off that rock after they left, and if someone did go back they'd find him all white haired like Laurence Olivier in Clash of the Titans, sitting in his own version of the temple on Mt. Olympus ruling over a population of loyal worshippers he conjured up out of thin air.

RE: For All Star Trek Fans - irukandji - 10-16-2022

(10-15-2022, 12:59 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: OTOH, nobody in any Trek has ever gone back to Delta Vega, and there was no mention of whether Mitchell's body was recovered. So maybe he ended up repowering and pushing off that rock after they left, and if someone did go back they'd find him all white haired like Laurence Olivier in Clash of the Titans, sitting in his own version of the temple on Mt. Olympus ruling over a population of loyal worshippers he conjured up out of thin air.

What an interesting novel that would make. I guess the creative team forgot that they wrote in a bit of a subplot where Mitchell actually died in sickbay, then resurrected himself back to life. 

Quote:"I also know we're orbiting Delta Vega, Jim. I can't let you force me down there. I may not want to leave this ship, not yet. I may want another place. I'm not sure yet just what kind of a world I can use."

It's really rather a strange statement from Mitchell, because once he was able to escape, he seemed to be testing if this was exactly the kind of world he could use after all. I've seen comments where he and Dehner are compared to a space type Adam and Eve. He offers her an apple. I think they both considered themselves on a much higher scale, in other words they are gods.

Quote:I think it's entirely possible that Mitchell would keep getting greyer and older as he became more powerful and eventually burn out on his own, like an incandescent light bulb that becomes brighter just before the filament burns out. No telling how powerful he might get before that happens, though. Maybe enough to reach out from Delta Vega and destroy other planets and solar systems?

Spock certainly gave the impression that Mitchell might be powerful enough to destroy them, and wouldn't need to be on the ship to do it.

One thing I was going to mention about this pilot. While I like the pilot very much, the team that wrote it really created a scenario where this force is so strong and the effects so devastating that the only possible ending to this is the ship gets fixed and the crew hauls it as far away as they can. Not a very bright outlook for an exploring vessel is it?

It'd be a twist of events if the force field was really some kind of entity who scanned ships and "touched" some of the crew members within it with infinite power, only limited by their frailty. When they outlive the usefulness of their bodies, they return to the force and become part of it.

What do you think of these people of the future identifying themselves as gods?

RE: For All Star Trek Fans - FaceInTheCrowd - 10-16-2022

The big unanswered question, even after 57 years of Star Trek, is why there's an energy barrier at the edge of the galaxy. Is it a naturally occurring phenomenon, or did someone put it there? If it's natural, why has it never been encountered anywhere else? If it's not natural, what can we imagine about whoever decided it would be a good idea to isolate the inhabitants of a galaxy and had the ability to do it?

There have been questions why the Enterprise simply didn't fly over it. I guess my answer would be that it prevented access beyond the galaxy no matter where a ship went, up, down, sideways, backwards, they would eventually encounter some part of it. But if that's the case, then why is it that it couldn't be seen from earth?

Probably some kind of optical effect. No matter what your course is in all three dimensions it always looks like a horizontal band.

We can't see most nebulae without telescopes. Maybe even in Trek's time they haven't got one that can see that far. Or maybe it's not natural and somebody designed it not to be visible from a distance.

The Milky Way can easily be viewed standing outside in a place where the light from earth isn't distracting. I generally look for it when we're on the road, and stopped at a rest stop away from city lights. If this band is something that encases the entire Milky Way, it should be as visible as it is to the Enterprise.

Yes, but we are inside the Milky Way. If the barrier is beyond the outer arm of the galaxy, then from a great distance it might look like a dust cloud. Especially if someone designed it to work that way.

After looking at some star distances in the internet, I don't think we'd see it at all with the naked eye. However, it's surprising to me that the Enterprise doesn't have long range telescopes to detect objects in its path. Even the Valiant would have had this capability.