Grimm Forum
Rewatch: 1x16 - The Thing with Feathers - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 1 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-1)
+---- Thread: Rewatch: 1x16 - The Thing with Feathers (/Thread-Rewatch-1x16-The-Thing-with-Feathers)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Rewatch: 1x16 - The Thing with Feathers - GrimmForum - 07-26-2013

The Things with Feathers

[Image: VSJZRm2l.jpg]

Episode: 1x16
Air Date: April 6, 2012
Synopsis: Nick and Juliette go away for a little R & R. They meet a couple who turns out to be not human. Juliette meets the wife and senses she's being abused. Nick learns the man is a being who abuses women.

Resources
Episode Summary (Grimm-Fan.com)
Screen Captures (Grimm-Fan.com)

RE: Rewatch: 1x16 - The Thing with Feathers - Lou - 07-26-2013

“The Thing with feathers” starts off with a quote from the Nightingale by Hans Christian Anderson. As far as I can tell the only similarity between the two stories is that they both contain birds. It seems like this episode has more in common with the goose who laid golden eggs.

Well, too bad I’m not keeping a list of Wu’s injuries. Well, this problem is just some kind of side effect of the cure for the cookie poisoning. But now he has a really bad eating disorder. Does make for some good comic moments, though.

The goose, or Unbezahlbar, is named Robin, a good name for a female bird creature. Her husband, the Klaustrerich, wogs in front of Nick, but doesn’t recognize Nick as a Grimm, but he was distracted and not looking at Nick at the time.

The cabin that Nick and Juliette are staying in is another beautiful house. It seems like every episode has another place I want to move into.

Juliette is wearing a red hoodie in this episode. I used to worry about her wearing red hoodies in Monroe’s presence. And I thought Juliette looked pretty hot in the cabin.

Man, that feeding apparatus that Tim subjects Robin to is just mean.

In this episode we see Hank going over the bend. We also see Juliette’s compassionate side again. And we find out that Renard has “minions”. There is definitely some kind of sexual history with Renard and Adalind. Juliette packs a real man’s gun, not some little girl’s gun.

I loved that the episode ends with the song, “Season of the Witch”.

RE: Rewatch: 1x16 - The Thing with Feathers - speakeasy - 07-27-2013

Although this has never been a favorite of mine, taking another look at it shows that it is a pretty good story. The couple's last name seemed like it might be significant, but couldn't find much. (Wonder how Tim knew of Robin's first attempted escape with Gary helping.)

Those worm shakes scenes were hard to watch. As was Nick's delivery of Robin's bouncing baby ball of gold. But Juliette's shooting a warning shot in the air was great and a precursor of things to come. She looks especially pretty in this episode.

Seems Adalind is in the catbird seat with poor unsuspecting Hank. He should get hazard pay for being Nick's partner.

Wu's new eating habits are troubling, but at the same time, funny. More proof that it's not easy being one of Detective Burkhardt's contemporaries.

The last scene between Nick and Juliette was sad, but well-played by both actors. Along with the restaurant scene, thought it was a fine ending to the episode.

RE: Rewatch: 1x16 - The Thing with Feathers - Gretel Hanselsister - 07-27-2013

If I had to choose a least-favourite episode of Grimm, here it is.
The whole Seltenvogel thing is a bad joke in my eyes and here is why.
I had a problem with the biology of the Spinnetod, but it's nothing compared with the Seltenvogel.
* Is it good or bad for her to consume this disgusting mixture? Good - why doesn't she drink it willingly? Bad - why does Tim make her consume it? It's just because they wanted something disgusting for the show Dodgy
* Why does the Unbezahlbar grow at all in her throat? It has only disadvantages for her. What does she do when it's time to deliver and no-one with a knife and Rosalee on the phone is around? Suffocate?
* Why didn't Tim lock her up in the house after he suspected she tries to escape? (Because he couldn't kill Gary in this case, we need a dead body for the show Dodgy)
* The Unbezahlbar is mineralic, perhaps pure gold. It shatters like glass when it hits a branch and then it's absolutely worthless. Ahem, yes. Dodgy

And: I don't like Juliette refusing Nick's proposal Blush

Seltenvogel - rare bird
When someone discovers a new bird, it's name is his choice. But rare bird? Poor choice.
Unbezahlbar - priceless
So we have the rare bird "Rarebird" with a priceless "priceless" in her throat.

RE: Rewatch: 1x16 - The Thing with Feathers - HellJacket - 07-27-2013

(07-27-2013, 10:25 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: * Is it good or bad for her to consume this disgusting mixture? Good - why doesn't she drink it willingly? Bad - why does Tim make her consume it? It's just because they wanted something disgusting for the show Dodgy
Well, it sounds like it hurt to have that jewel growing in your neck. Also, the seltenvogel is till pretty much human, and what human would enjoy consuming that concoction. And clearly, the jewel is valuable (based on rarity alone), so the klaustreich has pretty strong motivation in doing all this.

For the record, this episode has a real life parallel.
Foie Gras

In gavage-based foie gras, a goose is forced-fed until the bird's liver is about six times its regular size.

I personally liked this episode. I enjoy learning about wessen customs (no matter how barbaric they are). Also, I like my villains to be rational (even if they're scumbags). The klaustreich is clearly a very rational villain, so I put this episode over Of Mouse and Men, Bears will be Bears, as well as a number of other episodes. This is also a good one that shows the problems with being a grimm. Even when he's not a cop, he's still a grimm.

RE: Rewatch: 1x16 - The Thing with Feathers - Gretel Hanselsister - 07-27-2013

My main problem is about evolution and the biological need of letting a unbezahlbar grow in the throat. Does it make her strong? healthy? reproductive? You are a premium victim, because it makes you breathless and needy, you have nothing in return when the unbezahlbar is taken from you and you can't get it out yourself.

The production of Foie Gras is an act of cruelty and absolutely comparable with what the klaustreich Tim does to Robin. But gooses and ducks have normal livers under normal feeding conditions, a seltenvogel has an unbezahlbar once in a lifetime, force-feeded or not.

I forgot to comment the "Klaustreich" - it could perhaps be translated with "steal prank" or "claw stroke", it's not so easy this time.
"klauen" - to steal, another possibility "Klaue" - claw
"Streich" - trick, prank, another possibility "Streich" - stroke

RE: Rewatch: 1x16 - The Thing with Feathers - HellJacket - 07-27-2013

(07-27-2013, 02:05 PM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: The production of Foie Gras is an act of cruelty and absolutely comparable with what the klaustreich Tim does to Robin. But gooses and ducks have normal livers under normal feeding conditions, a seltenvogel has an unbezahlbar once in a lifetime, force-feeded or not.
It is true every seltenvogel has an unbezahlbar once in a lifetime, but the size, based on my recollection of the episode, depends on how much the seltenvogel is force-fed all that crap.

In regard to your biological/evolutionary arguments, you seem to be begging a question (i.e., "you have nothing in return when the unbezahlbar is taken from you and you can't get it out yourself."). Not every biological attribute has "value." There is no evolutionary advantage to my knowledge regarding people who have type I diabetes or any other variety of genetic disorders/diseases. However, in regard to "once in a life time" events, there are plenty varieties of plant life that flower only once in a life time (e.g., the corpse flower). This is simply a parallel transformation that occurs in a more advanced species.

Also, it's possible only the abnormal forced-fed umbezahlbar can't be removed on its own. The regular much smaller one may simply be broken down by the wessen's system or be expelled through natural causes. This tranformation may also simply be an evolutionary mating ritual that lets other seltenvogel know that when an umbezahlbar is showing, it's time for her to get knocked up.

RE: Rewatch: 1x16 - The Thing with Feathers - Gretel Hanselsister - 07-28-2013

(07-27-2013, 02:39 PM)HellJacket Wrote: It is true every seltenvogel has an unbezahlbar once in a lifetime, but the size, based on my recollection of the episode, depends on how much the seltenvogel is force-fed all that crap.
That's possible.

(07-27-2013, 02:39 PM)HellJacket Wrote: There is no evolutionary advantage to my knowledge regarding people who have type I diabetes or any other variety of genetic disorders/diseases.
Diabetes or other severe inherent diseases led to the death in less medical evolved times, evolution is cruel with "errors". The unbezahlbar is no disease, it's normal for the seltenvogel. They are in danger of extinction, so I could live with the therory that this is the fault of the unbezahlbar.

(07-27-2013, 02:39 PM)HellJacket Wrote: However, in regard to "once in a life time" events, there are plenty varieties of plant life that flower only once in a life time (e.g., the corpse flower). This is simply a parallel transformation that occurs in a more advanced species.
The corpse flower dies after the blooming, but only if it was pollenized. As a last action they produce hundreds of berries, so their death makes an evolotionary sense. I can't see any sense in the unbezahlbar.

(07-27-2013, 02:39 PM)HellJacket Wrote: Also, it's possible only the abnormal forced-fed umbezahlbar can't be removed on its own. The regular much smaller one may simply be broken down by the wessen's system or be expelled through natural causes. This tranformation may also simply be an evolutionary mating ritual that lets other seltenvogel know that when an umbezahlbar is showing, it's time for her to get knocked up.
Nice Smile
But I don't think so. In Rosalees book they describe the extraktion of the unbezahlbar, this won't be neccessary when it's normally broken down by the wesen's system.

RE: Rewatch: 1x16 - The Thing with Feathers - Lou - 07-28-2013

FYI:
You can buy the kindle version of the "Nightingale" at Amazon for $0.01

RE: Rewatch: 1x16 - The Thing with Feathers - HellJacket - 07-28-2013

(07-28-2013, 12:28 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: Nice Smile
But I don't think so. In Rosalees book they describe the extraktion of the unbezahlbar, this won't be neccessary when it's normally broken down by the wesen's system.
Medical books described the extraction of an appendix during an appendicitis (another useless biological organ). However, not all people develop an appendicitis. It's true we don't have more facts about the unbezahlbar, but that's the problem. In the absence of facts, I can always make up facts to explain anything. The real truth is the writers just didn't put as much thought/explanation into the episode as hardcore fans would like. And just to reiterate.

(07-28-2013, 12:28 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: Diabetes or other severe inherent diseases led to the death in less medical evolved times, evolution is cruel with "errors". The unbezahlbar is no disease, it's normal for the seltenvogel.
All diseases are "normal." They are simply natural processes that occur given specific genetics, organisms, or circumstances in nature. You keep trying to argue that there is a "valuable purpose" behind specific evolutionary traits. Disease is just a semantic term for what people don't like. From evolution's perspective, being "tall" or "short" is no different from having type I diabetes. They are all just genetic traits. Same as the seltenvogel's unbezahlbar. To determine whether an unbezahlbar is a good thing (from a human perspective) or a bad thing would require a whole lot more knowledge of the seltenvogel's genetic history.

/for the record, I enjoy bashing evolutionary theories, so I find this discussion very entertaining, because I'm coming out on the side of evolution