Grimm Forum
Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve (/Thread-Adalind-vs-Juliette-Eve)

RE: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - irukandji - 05-06-2016

(05-06-2016, 04:28 PM)syscrash Wrote: Sean marries the mother of his daughter right before the election. A women that is not carrying a child that plenty of hospital personal know is Nick's. This is suppose to pass as good faith. It sounds more like hypocrisy, or a political stunt. How do you pull of a wedding without it being interrupted by those that would object such as Nick. It sounds like the observation is being based on the adage of "Sean is willing to make an honest women out of her". That concept went out the window with the idea of trial marriage as a reason to live together.

Of course it's hypocrisy and a political stunt. But how many actions that we know are political stunts have actually been popular with the public? Too many to count, I'll wager. While the concept of making an honest woman out of her is not as popular as when I was young, it still resonates with a lot of people. Sean, the mayor, trying to do the right thing. People see and relate that to what might benefit them, such as lower taxes, or fighting for some urban cause.

RE: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - FaceInTheCrowd - 05-06-2016

This is Portland. A last minute marriage to the mother of your children - one of whom appears to be 12 years old - right before an election would doom you as a candidate here. Even if people didn't question the identities of your new spouse and children, the blatant hypocrisy would be a huge negative while having children out of wedlock would be a huge yawner. We don't care about your "traditional family," tell us how you're going to get the @#$% Morrison Bridge fixed.

RE: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - syscrash - 05-06-2016

Quote:While the concept of making an honest woman out of her is not as popular as when I was young, it still resonates with a lot of people.
That is disputed by single mothers, and young teens no longer getting married. It is disputed by the idea of women choosing to be single mothers. When was the last time you heard a public figure say they have to get married because they are pregnant.

Quote:Of course it's hypocrisy and a political stunt. But how many actions that we know are political stunts have actually been popular with the public? Too many to count, I'll wager.

Politicians or now being called on their BS. When politics could control the release of information, stunts worked. Now with 24 hour news, and the internet providing instant access to all information. They don't work now a days. Now these stunts become fuel for the comics.

You see it in how politicians present themselves. They are so use to something said 10 years ago would never been brought up. Now they have to deal with every word said, is recorded and instantly accessible, and will be used against them. the last two elections coined the term flip floppier.

Sure propaganda and rhetoric still works with the uninformed, luckily the uninformed thou a large amount of the population they are of the minority.

RE: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - Gretel Hanselsister - 05-06-2016

Just wanted to announce that I deleted a quite a lot of posts in here, I'm not sure if I got every post unrelated and rude.

Really, try and be nice to each other. It wouldn't hurt. It would help.

And I'm happy to see the thread got back to the topic again so I didn't had to close it.

RE: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - irukandji - 05-08-2016

(05-06-2016, 05:34 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: This is Portland. A last minute marriage to the mother of your children - one of whom appears to be 12 years old - right before an election would doom you as a candidate here. Even if people didn't question the identities of your new spouse and children, the blatant hypocrisy would be a huge negative while having children out of wedlock would be a huge yawner. We don't care about your "traditional family," tell us how you're going to get the @#$% Morrison Bridge fixed.

Quote:syscrash wrote:
Politicians or now being called on their BS. When politics could control the release of information, stunts worked. Now with 24 hour news, and the internet providing instant access to all information. They don't work now a days. Now these stunts become fuel for the comics.

You see it in how politicians present themselves. They are so use to something said 10 years ago would never been brought up. Now they have to deal with every word said, is recorded and instantly accessible, and will be used against them. the last two elections coined the term flip floppier.

Sure propaganda and rhetoric still works with the uninformed, luckily the uninformed thou a large amount of the population they are of the minority.

FaceInTheCrowd and syscrash-

I absolutely, positively was not being serious about Portland or politics here. What I was talking about was in the context of Grimm. In real life, Renard would never be able to run for mayor in a matter of weeks. However, Grimm is telling us he can. In real life, no one is going to buy Renard's instant family. This would apply whether he's married or not. However, the creative team at Grimm can do whatever they want. I don't know if Sean and Adalind will marry. I put out the thought since Rachel arranged for Sean to be reunited with Diana, and now that Adalind and Kelly are in the mix, I figured they might just marry.

RE: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - syscrash - 05-08-2016

Your initial statement.
Quote:Of course it's hypocrisy and a political stunt. But how many actions that we know are political stunts have actually been popular with the public? Too many to count, I'll wager. While the concept of making an honest woman out of her is not as popular as when I was young, it still resonates with a lot of people. Sean, the mayor, trying to do the right thing. People see and relate that to what might benefit them, such as lower taxes, or fighting for some urban cause.
So why respond with
Quote:I absolutely, positively was not being serious about Portland or politics here. What I was talking about was in the context of Grimm.

None of the original post was based on Grimm.

RE: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - irukandji - 05-08-2016

(05-08-2016, 07:50 PM)syscrash Wrote: Your initial statement.
Quote:Of course it's hypocrisy and a political stunt. But how many actions that we know are political stunts have actually been popular with the public? Too many to count, I'll wager. While the concept of making an honest woman out of her is not as popular as when I was young, it still resonates with a lot of people. Sean, the mayor, trying to do the right thing. People see and relate that to what might benefit them, such as lower taxes, or fighting for some urban cause.
So why respond with
Quote:I absolutely, positively was not being serious about Portland or politics here. What I was talking about was in the context of Grimm.

None of the original post was based on Grimm.

Can you quote what it was that I said?

RE: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - syscrash - 05-08-2016

Quote:syscrash Wrote:
Sean marries the mother of his daughter right before the election. A women that is not carrying a child that plenty of hospital personal know is Nick's. This is suppose to pass as good faith. It sounds more like hypocrisy, or a political stunt. How do you pull of a wedding without it being interrupted by those that would object such as Nick. It sounds like the observation is being based on the adage of "Sean is willing to make an honest women out of her". That concept went out the window with the idea of trial marriage as a reason to live together.

Irukandui replied
Of course it's hypocrisy and a political stunt. But how many actions that we know are political stunts have actually been popular with the public? Too many to count, I'll wager. While the concept of making an honest woman out of her is not as popular as when I was young, it still resonates with a lot of people. Sean, the mayor, trying to do the right thing. People see and relate that to what might benefit them, such as lower taxes, or fighting for some urban cause.
Your reply went from Grimm to real.
So I responded using real world

Quote:Quote Irukandi:
While the concept of making an honest woman out of her is not as popular as when I was young, it still resonates with a lot of people.

Syscrash Responded
That is disputed by single mothers, and young teens no longer getting married. It is disputed by the idea of women choosing to be single mothers. When was the last time you heard a public figure say they have to get married because they are pregnant.

Quote Irukandji:
Of course it's hypocrisy and a political stunt. But how many actions that we know are political stunts have actually been popular with the public? Too many to count, I'll wager.

Syscrash responded

Then you reply to my real world response with
Quote:Quoting syscrash wrote:

To which Irukandji replied
I absolutely, positively was not being serious about Portland or politics here. What I was talking about was in the context of Grimm. In real life, Renard would never be able to run for mayor in a matter of weeks. However, Grimm is telling us he can. In real life, no one is going to buy Renard's instant family. This would apply whether he's married or not. However, the creative team at Grimm can do whatever they want. I don't know if Sean and Adalind will marry. I put out the thought since Rachel arranged for Sean to be reunited with Diana, and now that Adalind and Kelly are in the mix, I figured they might just marry.

RE: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - FaceInTheCrowd - 05-08-2016

It's not my intention to be critical of the show because of the ways it doesn't reflect the realities of life and politics in Portland. We actually love the show here. These little bits of unreality are just things that make us laugh. Like Lucien telling Renard that becoming mayor would make him the most powerful man in Portland. That was funnier than any gag I've ever seen on Portlandia.

http://www.oregonlive.com/tv/2016/05/grimm_is_off_this_week_so_lets.html#incart_most-read_entertainment_article

RE: Adalind vs. Juliette/Eve - irukandji - 05-09-2016

syscrash, I was intermixing some real with Grimm here, but I was generalizing and had no real politic incident in mind, and certainly no incident about Portland politics in mind. If you can show me exactly where the confusion came in, maybe I can clear it up, maybe not. Can you just go to my statement, quote it, and then tell me where you see the issue in my quote? I'm still not sure what it is you're looking at that you believe relates to Portland politics or some real political incident.