Grimm Forum
Rate the actors and actresses of Grimm - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Rate the actors and actresses of Grimm (/Thread-Rate-the-actors-and-actresses-of-Grimm)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Rate the actors and actresses of Grimm - izzy - 01-17-2016

Gang,

A new series like Grimm gives 3rd and 4th and 5th tier actors and actresses a chance to develop their craft and learn other aspects of the industry. Grimm started with a very low teir cast, at least one character actor, lots of attractive faces and bodies filled with promise and potential. The actors and actresses had over four season to develop their craft, flesh out their acting and experiment with their style and delivery. Use this thread to rate the actors and actresses. Not every actor or actress gets a chance to go in a different direction in a series and showcase their talents, but in Grimm, Shasha Roiz was given that opportunity, David Giuntoli Bitsie Tulloch has had their opportunity; this becomes a critical piece of information when evaluating an actor or actress as it gives them an opportunity to demonstrate growth and style over a range of characterizations.

Please use this to assess the main actors and actresses of Grimm.

What follows is my opinion and opinion is all it is. I should point out, my woman, who use to be in the industry on the agent side of things disagrees with my assessment

Shasha Roiz is head and shoulders the best actor in the series. He displays a range of talents and ability. He projects his character well and has the looks, charm, charisma and adds the depth to his characterizations to be a leading man. With the right director and script I can see him launched in leading movie roles, however, I suspect he will need a motivated agent or someone who takes a personal interest in his development to move his career ahead. I think he has made the most of the opportunities for personal development that Grimm has afforded him. I don’t know if he is a better actor for it, but certainly had showcased at least some of the talents he possesses.

Reggie Lee is a consummate professional but lacks star power, he will likely never evolve past a solid supporting role in a stereotypical type cast generic role or as an actual character actor. He has potential in comedic roles, but as a supporting actor. I cannot say a darnn negative thing about this actor. He is a joy to watch. I just think his growth potential is rather limited, but that does not in any way diminish his professionalism or skill. He is very, very good at his craft.

Updated 06-03-2016
After reflecting on Reggie Lee and looking at some of the work he has down outside of Grimm I have slightly altered my opinion and become even more positive than I already was on this actor.
I discussed him with someone who has worked in the casting role in Hollywood. We both agree, that if the part was written for him he could take a leading role. Think of Peter Falk as Columbo where the eccentricity made the character. That is the type of role Reggie Lee could do very well. So under the right circumstances I can now see him in a leading role, but it would have to be defined for him.

Silas Weir Mitchell is also a consummate professional, and might someday break out the character actor level. But at his age it is unlikely he will ever have star power. But he displays a range of ability and has good dramatic appeal. I could see him in movies in several substantial supporting roles, particularly in dramas.

David Giuntoli, the best way to say this is, his time has come and gone. He lost out on the superman role and picked up Grimm. Unfortunately in its 5 season run he has managed to remain undistinguished and while he may have grown considerably it really is not enough to have elevated him. He had potential, but I think it is now lost although I hope not. I wish him all the good fortune in the world. But sometimes you have to accept reality. Who knows, under the right director and the right script and the right co-stars he might yet shine. But it is a crapshoot at his point. I know I would be hesitant to cast him in a leading role in a series now. It seems he has all the attributes when taken singly, to be a good actor but somehow they just don’t seem to come together at the same time to turn in a distinguishing performance. He has had more than a little chance to display and hone a range of expression in the series, but never has capitalized on it during the run of the series. It is obvious he has grown, and is far more comfortable in front of the camera and has developed a comfort with the character he portrays but that is very different than honing or developing your skills. I see him as a far more knowledgeable actor now, but only a marginally better talent. In short, I think he squandered the opportunity of a lifetime.

Updated 09-08-2016
I just saw David in 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi. It jsut reinforced my opinion of him as an actor: very plebeian.

Bitsie Tulloch, sigh. Sadly I think we have already seen her at her zenith as an actress. For whatever reason she just seems to lack the range to play a believable character. People knock the roles she has had on Grimm, but when you think of it, she really has now had a wide range of opportunities to display her acting prowess, and so far it simply never materialized. When I first saw her, I thought of a young Sigourney Weaver but now, after over four years I see her at the same level she started at. I hope she finds a more rewarding career off camera in directing or other areas. But clearly acting is not her thing. She simply does not seem to have the stature to project herself to an audience. I could see her as a female victim in slasher flicks, supporting cast in various series, or a supporting actor in direct to DVD B grade movies that involves disrobing(for a few more years) but that is it. A shame too, she seemed to have potential that simply never materialized. She has had her shot and I think she fell far short of the mark. I don’t see her as even a passable dramatic actress, her comedic timing is off, she does not project well. She might find a niche as a character actor playing the psycho girlfriend.

Updated 06-03-2016
I honestly wish I could be more positive. But here we are a season later. When you take into consideration the other members of the cast have indicated the writers and producers work with the cast members to play to their strengths or weaknesses and write accordingly, well I think that says it all for Bitsie Tulloch. I also took a look at her work in Concussion and remain amazed that she actually still has an acting career. I see she is set to appear in several upcoming features, so, given she tops several to ten lists of the worst actress on television I can only assume she is very well connected. In my opinion. she is right up there with Vin Diesle in terms of acting ability. Her deficits as an actress are especially apparent when you contrast her “growth as an actress” with the young upstart in the series: Jacqueline Toboni.

Russell Hornsby. I really cannot evaluate him fairly. I am not sure if it is the scripts, his style or whatever but I just don't think he has been given enough of range of opportunity to demonstrate much of anything. So I think criticizing him would simply be unfair. He had a bit of a chance early in the series when he did not know what wesen were, but his scope has been severely limited since then. But what I saw then seemed fairly solid if plebian in delivery.

Bree Turner. She has been a very pleasant surprise. She has maximized her exposure in Grimm and displayed a range of expression, vocalization and a talent form spoke delivery, body language, to facial expression. I suspect there is a lot more to this actress than we are given a chance to see. She really has not had the range of opportunity the other actresses on the show have had, but she has made the most of them and given a very strong performance. I think she has a great deal of potential. It will be interesting to see where her career takes her. I could see her flaring out for lack of opportunity or landing that perfect role for her and truly elevating her status as a dramatic actress.

Updated 06-03-2016
Season 5 just strengthened my very positive opinion of Bree Turner. That woman can convey more with an expression than most actresses can with 12 lines of dialog. Honestly, I wish she were a bit younger. I just cannot see her getting the full range of roles that would do justice to her talent at this stage of her life. But I hope I am wrong. She is very talented and I look forward to seeing her in whatever she chooses to take on after Grimm. She is one of the few actresses that actually would get me to watch a movie I would not watch otherwise simply because of her ability. I would love to see her cast with Robert Downey Jr. as his love interest.

Claire Coffee. She has had a range of opportunities on the show and has come across as a moderately good actress. It appears she loves her craft. She has displayed comedic ability. And based on her performance, while I can never see her as a serious dramatic actress on the big screen, I could see her as a co-star or supporting character in the comedy genre. She has exceptional comedic timing, is pretty, and really a total package. I can see her easily landing other roles in TV series, in particular soap operas or situation comedies. Or as I said maybe venturing to the big screen in a comedic role. Time will tell.

Updated 09-08-2016
Season 5 gave us far more screen time with Claire. While many may not have liked the changes in her character the script has nothing to do with the actress ability. Claire got to show a different side, demeanor and personality and demonstrated she can play a range of characters. She makes a very believable love interest unlike Bitsie Tulloch and has great dramatic impact. Her comedic sense was also showcased with impeccable timing.

Jacqueline Toboni

I originally did not evaluate her. At the time of this initial post, I felt she was too new to acting to evaluate. I added this on 02-07-16 after watching her in Reptile Dysfunction. My verdict is in. She can act. She is so young but the raw potential is there and we already have seen a level of refinement. In her limited screen time we have had chance to watch her grow as an actress. She can project a character, she can evoke empathy, rally sympathy, can cast an aura of charming quirkiness, and can scale to credibly project a threat. Really quite amazing for one so young. She has a lot of potential but to me has already exceeded the level of ability of an actress like Bitsie.

Updated 06-03-2016
Season 5 showed continued growth for Jacqueline Toboni. I was a bit sad to see her new lithe body image but I guess that is Hollywood. I liked her as a young woman with a few curves. I don’t find the waif look especially appealing with her. That being said she continues to show excellent growth as an actress and at this stage of the game the world is her oyster. Her growth is very easy to measure especially when compared to the static mediocrity of an actress like Bitsie Tulloch; having them share the screen is a stark contrast, the up and coming future star verse the consummate also ran. I truly hope for Jacqueline’s sake her fledgling fame does not distort her personal life and she is able to develop her growth as human being into adulthood with her acting career.

RE: Rate the actors and actresses of Grimm - Hexenadler - 01-17-2016

I sure hope none of the actors ever happen to drop by, because this thread would be horribly depressing for most of them. Rolleyes

RE: Rate the actors and actresses of Grimm - syscrash - 01-17-2016

I would think whether an actor takes a comment negatively or positively would depend on what they where trying to portray. The comments that find fault with the character would be a compliment that the actor can make it that believable. Of all the comments about all of the actors on the show. They are center around what they do or how they act. Which is a compliment. None are ever about not believing the character is what people complain about.

RE: Rate the actors and actresses of Grimm - eric - 01-22-2016

(01-17-2016, 09:41 PM)syscrash Wrote: I would think whether an actor takes a comment negatively or positively would depend on what they where trying to portray. The comments that find fault with the character would be a compliment that the actor can make it that believable. Of all the comments about all of the actors on the show. They are center around what they do or how they act. Which is a compliment. None are ever about not believing the character is what people complain about.
Agree. Since I have not seen any of these actors before Grimm, i can't judge their ability to act. The ditzy blond on Friends actually has a degree in Biology and worked for a while doing research-she can act. Charlie Sheen did not act on Two And A Half Men-he played himself, a drug addled sex addict and all around fun party animal. Many actors get lucky and get one job playing themselves but can't move on to anything else because they can't act. Others get good exposure in a movie or show, then can move on to other parts because of their acting abilities. Some of the Grimm characters I may not like, I may see the actors in other shows and like their new characters.

RE: Rate the actors and actresses of Grimm - izzy - 06-03-2016

Gang,

I updated my review of the actors and actresses of Grimm. The following were updated:
  • Reggie Lee
  • Bitsie Tulloch
  • Bree Turner
  • Jacqueline Toboni
You can see the updates added to the first post above.

RE: Rate the actors and actresses of Grimm - Nicholas White - 06-03-2016

With most of your reviews I have to disagree. You need to separate the character from the actor. Alot of people tend to group them together and since they might not like how the character is written they say the actor can't act or they are the best actor which isn't true. Everyone on Grimm can act but not all of the characters have been written to display the same amount of range.

Sasha so far is the actor whose character isn't written with alot of range. The only thing he has had to portray is being Manipulative, Leader and slight rage. Where as characters like Nick, Juilette and Adalind has had to play a range of emotions: Mad, Sad, Glad, annoyed, determined, depressed, heartbroken, Vengeful, confused, etc.

RE: Rate the actors and actresses of Grimm - izzy - 09-08-2016

Gang,

I updated my review of the actors and actresses of Grimm. The following were updated:

David Giuntoli
Claire Coffee

You can see the updates added to the first post above.

RE: Rate the actors and actresses of Grimm - jsgrimm45 - 11-26-2016

Not to rate the acting powers of the character just a general statement on acting. My son in law uncle was (has past now) was Brian Smiar. You may have seen him in some movies and tv, but his main work was on Broadway. He said he was just and actor and knew he would never be the star, but actors alway had work and stars didn't.

Harry Morgan worked with just about every major star of the 40's, 50's, and 60"s he went back and forth from the movies to tv with ease. He said almost the same thing.

So this now give us something to think about as for the characters Grimm what do they want? Stars make the big money but most of the time have a short star power draw. Now some will point out John Wayne and others in that time frame which now we ask is this normal or the abnormal? The character actor has work about anytime they want, never make the big bucks but are not wanting for the starring role.

Now each of the Grimm character will have to make that same choice.

I once seen an interview with Jack Elam he said and actor has 3 phases in acting, One get me that Guy, Two get me Jack Elam, and Three get me someone like Jack Elam. I thought Jack Elam was one of the most underrated actor on screen. This whole post is just IMO.

RE: Rate the actors and actresses of Grimm - syscrash - 11-26-2016

What I find interesting is the comments that rate the actor based on what they think of the character. Not once has a comment stated they did not believe the character. It is either Juliette was useless or Eve is to wooden or robotic. I see those kind of complaints as a compliment to Bitsie abilities seeing as she is actually neither of those types. The one thing I do see. Bitsie tries to take each of her characters to the extreme. Grimm tries to keep each of the character even. Even I found the memory loss dragged on way to long. But I give Bitsie credit, she made the condition seems totally creditable. You actually felt the mental torment she was going through. Unlike when Adalind was in the dungeon being tormented. I only saw her making one bad choice after another. I never got the feeling she was becoming unhinged. Compare how many emotional scenes is Juliette involved in that really had an impact. Compared to how many involved Adalind.
Want an evaluation of Bitsie abilities. Watch "The Artist" The entire move is a silent film. The only thing you have to go on is the actors expressions and visual clues. Bitsie was nominated for the choice awards because she was able to pull it off.

RE: Rate the actors and actresses of Grimm - izzy - 11-26-2016

(11-26-2016, 03:53 PM)syscrash Wrote: What I find interesting is the comments that rate the actor based on what they think of the character. Not once has a comment stated they did not believe the character. It is either Juliette was useless or Eve is to wooden or robotic. I see those kind of complaints as a compliment to Bitsie abilities seeing as she is actually neither of those types.

LOL, yes I have said I do not believe the character - I never did. A large part of the reason I came up with the Juliette was slumming theory was her inability to portray a girlfriend who was actually in love.