Grimm Forum
Are we living in the age of the "face-heel turn?" - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Community (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Community)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-The-Lounge)
+--- Thread: Are we living in the age of the "face-heel turn?" (/Thread-Are-we-living-in-the-age-of-the-face-heel-turn)

Are we living in the age of the "face-heel turn?" - Hexenadler - 09-07-2015

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FaceHeelTurn

I don't have enough proof this trope has become widespread in popular culture, but I'm starting to notice a pattern in many films and television shows these days where a former hero is brought over to the dark side for reasons that vary from story to story, but the end result is the same.

I wonder if Joss Whedon is partly to blame for this. Both Angel and Willow started out as legitimate good guys before they turned rotten (really, really, really rotten in Angel's case). It goes without saying Whedon has had a huge influence on the way television is written. John Connor's fate in the latest "Terminator" movie and Juliette's recent transformation in "Grimm" seem to be the newest variations on this trend.

On one hand, you could argue this is a fresh approach to storytelling; no one is entirely trustworthy or incorruptible. On the other hand...well, no one is entirely trustworthy or incorruptible. And that's a problem. The audience can't allow themselves to identify or trust any one character, fearing they'll turn into some kind of monster in the next episode.

I'm inclined to believe this fad is having a cumulatively negative impact on the way stories are told. Not only are fictional characters becoming depressed and demoralized by these developments in their lives, they're depressing and demoralizing the audience too. Sure, "it's only a movie/book/TV show," but entertainment always reflects the mindset of its time. What does it say about our time when everyone is so paranoid and dreading the moment when our neighbors or loved ones suddenly turn psycho?

RE: Are we living in the age of the "face-heel turn?" - wfmyers1207 - 09-08-2015

That's an interesting observation. I wouldn't say it's in every show, but you do see it more these days. I think it's because we live in a morally ambivalent time. People nowadays are very reluctant to even accept the concept of evil. No evil, no good. Everyone becomes a potential villain.Sad

RE: Are we living in the age of the "face-heel turn?" - TieDyeJackson - 09-08-2015

I read somewhere that Bitsie herself wasn't signed on past this season and judging by the ammount of projects she has lined up the writing was on the wall long before she turned bad . I think they had to transition Adalind into Juliette's spot and they kinda went full tilt putting Juliette in Adalind's.

I could never see another Grimm character coming out of left field and turning bad besides Renard ( and that would surprise no one lol).

The time of the anti-hero is in full tilt because of shows like Breaking Bad and Dexter. Get ready to root for the badguy type stuff and in Juliette's case they took the most flat character and made her the richest because you didn't know what that crazy b**** would do next and it made you crave her next scene.

RE: Are we living in the age of the "face-heel turn?" - jsgrimm45 - 09-08-2015

(09-08-2015, 09:12 AM)TieDyeJackson Wrote: I read somewhere that Bitsie herself wasn't signed on past this season and judging by the ammount of projects she has lined up the writing was on the wall long before she turned bad . I think they had to transition Adalind into Juliette's spot and they kinda went full tilt putting Juliette in Adalind's.

I could never see another Grimm character coming out of left field and turning bad besides Renard ( and that would surprise no one lol).

The time of the anti-hero is in full tilt because of shows like Breaking Bad and Dexter. Get ready to root for the badguy type stuff and in Juliette's case they took the most flat character and made her the richest because you didn't know what that crazy b**** would do next and it made you crave her next scene.
Your point on turning Juliette into Adalind and Adalind into Juliette works I hadn't thought of that. Now that you posted it makes perfect sense. I also am tired of the good bad guy been done enough. I come from the age of the Lone Ranger not Breaking Bad. I want my good person maybe to have some faults like we all do but looking to do it the right way.

RE: Are we living in the age of the "face-heel turn?" - TieDyeJackson - 09-08-2015

(09-08-2015, 11:50 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote:
(09-08-2015, 09:12 AM)TieDyeJackson Wrote: I read somewhere that Bitsie herself wasn't signed on past this season and judging by the ammount of projects she has lined up the writing was on the wall long before she turned bad . I think they had to transition Adalind into Juliette's spot and they kinda went full tilt putting Juliette in Adalind's.

Your point on turning Juliette into Adalind and Adalind into Juliette works I hadn't thought of that. Now that you posted it makes perfect sense. I also am tired of the good bad guy been done enough. I come from the age of the Lone Ranger not Breaking Bad. I want my good person maybe to have some faults like we all do but looking to do it the right way.

You are preaching to the choir man, I hate when people say that movies and TV are becoming bleaker because it's closer to reality. I'm of the thought that TV and movies are escapes from reality. The evil land owner get their comeuppance , the Lone Ranger gets the girl and they ride off into the sunset with Tonto in tow.

RE: Are we living in the age of the "face-heel turn?" - Hexenadler - 09-08-2015

(09-08-2015, 09:12 AM)TieDyeJackson Wrote: I read somewhere that Bitsie herself wasn't signed on past this season

Could you provide a direct link to that quote, please?

RE: Are we living in the age of the "face-heel turn?" - TieDyeJackson - 09-09-2015

(09-08-2015, 12:11 PM)Hexenadler Wrote:
(09-08-2015, 09:12 AM)TieDyeJackson Wrote: I read somewhere that Bitsie herself wasn't signed on past this season

Could you provide a direct link to that quote, please?

I searched to no avail, maybe it was just talking about the movies she had lined up?

RE: Are we living in the age of the "face-heel turn?" - wfmyers1207 - 09-09-2015

I'm with jsgrimm on this. I was raised in a time where heroes were heroes. They may have made mistakes but they tried to put them right.

I think that the anti-hero is Hollywood trying to influence real life. They don't like the ideas of 'good vs evil' so they attempt to make everything morally ambivalent.

No moral judgements, no need to take a stand for what is right and confront the evil that does indeed exist in this World! Angry