Grimm Forum
Rewatch: 1x04 - Lonelyhearts - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 1 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-1)
+---- Thread: Rewatch: 1x04 - Lonelyhearts (/Thread-Rewatch-1x04-Lonelyhearts)

Pages: 1 2 3

Rewatch: 1x04 - Lonelyhearts - GrimmForum - 06-07-2013

Lonelyhearts

[Image: 8lIaZIGl.jpg]

Episode: 1x04
Air Date: November 18th, 2011
Synopsis: After a strange group of female deaths and disappearances, Nick sends Monroe undercover to spy on a hypnotic suspect. Meanwhile, a stranger shows up in Portland and tries to get revenge on Nick for the death of a reaper, but he'll have to get past Captain Renard.

Resources
Episode Summary (Grimm-Fan.com)
Screen Captures (Grimm-Fan.com)

As we move onto the fourth episode of Grimm, what are your thoughts on these early episodes of Grimm?

RE: Rewatch: 1x04 - Lonelyhearts - Lou - 06-07-2013

Lonely Hearts Statistics
(Hopefully I’m getting better at this but I’m not putting any money on it.)
Head count: 1
Woges: 3
Apple Sightings: Nick spends a lot of time on his iPhone. Hank shows up on stake out duty with an iPad.
Bridges: 3

The story of Bluebeard isn’t a Grim Fairy Tale. But that’s ok. This story made a nice fit in the Grimm universe.

As I mentioned before, I love the architecture in Grimm. The Brambles Bed and Breakfast is so cool. And I love the garden with its giant bunny, butterflies, tree frogs, flowering wisteria, and a fountain with a statue of Pan. How Cool!

I think this is the first episode that got me interested in the bridges of Portland. There is the bridge the girl got run over, the bridge by the trailer (is that the Fremont Bridge?) and the Multnomah Falls Bridge.

Again there is an issue about when weson “see” that Nick is a Grimm. When Billy Capri wogs he doesn’t seem to notice that Nick is a Grimm. Again we can argue that he wasn’t looking at Nick but his frog. And Nick only spotted his reflection in the fountain. Oh, and who realized that Billy Capri basically means Billy Goat?

Another sweet Nick and Juliette moment. The Nick and Juliette thread doesn’t get much airtime but it is slowly being developed. I have been a Juliette fan through thick and thin but these first couple episodes are how it started for me.

Just when we thought we know Renard is evil incarnate, he goes off and “protects” Nick from the Reaper. But why?? So was this Reaper what the Bee People were trying to warn Nick about?

We can see how Monroe is slowly starting to like being an assistant Grimm. Writers get extra credit for developing a character while simultaneously evolving that character.

Not sure what’s funnier. When Monroe is sitting at the bar getting all moony eyed with Billy. Or when he tries to pick up the girl.
“Hey if you like nice gardens, I have…..”
“Get lost.”

We see the Ziegervolk entrancing the EMT. Do you think he even gets put into custody?

And what happens to his DNA matching? We never hear anything about that. Would it come back as inconclusive? And is this how Ziegervolks breed? Are there female Ziegervolks? Or when a male Ziegervolk mates with a female human, the males are ziegerolks and the females are human?

RE: Rewatch: 1x04 - Lonelyhearts - the-epic-prince - 06-07-2013

My favorite part was the Reaper's ear getting sliced off by Renard. Also Monroe's part was fun.

RE: Rewatch: 1x04 - Lonelyhearts - pale boy - 06-07-2013

(06-07-2013, 08:17 PM)Lou Wrote: And what happens to his DNA matching? We never hear anything about that. Would it come back as inconclusive? And is this how Ziegervolks breed? Are there female Ziegervolks? Or when a male Ziegervolk mates with a female human, the males are ziegerolks and the females are human?

These are questions I am unsure if I want answers to, lol. Leaving the audience to fill in the blanks really makes this episode creepier for me. I'm bothered by what Wesen can and can't do more than the main plot sometimes! It's little wonder that Grimm have been indiscriminately slaying Wesen of all types for centuries -- the ones with the most troublesome powers can do a lot of damage.

There are so many gross things going on in "Lonelyhearts". Capra's human collection museum in his basement, frog eating, the brain-bending powers. It's all very disturbing. Almost surprising for the first season of a show on network TV. Some of the horror is just implied (Billy Capra obviously isn't holding these women for innocent tea parties), but a lot of it is out there in the open.

As I mentioned in my post for "BeeWare", I am again surprised at just how dark Grimm started out. It's stayed that way, too, which is part of the reason I like it. Too many shows pull their punches or handicap the creep factor. That the writers are willing to name real people as Wesen was also cool to me.

Our first real introduction to the structure of the non-human world occurs here too. Reapers are obviously a Big Deal and not just one-off bad guys that attempted to kill Marie Kessler (Nick's aunt), but we don't know exactly what they signify at this point. Renard is also firmly cemented as someone to watch. Knowing that Hank will later become aware of Wesen makes watching him while he's clueless frustrating. Rosalee isn't in the show yet, but I already miss her. Sad Juliette is still in "the girlfriend" mode and that's where she will be for many more episodes to come -- I get the impression that the writers don't know what to do with her a lot of the time.

For me, this is the episode where things really start to click into place.

RE: Rewatch: 1x04 - Lonelyhearts - bookofknowledge - 06-08-2013

dont know why but this is my least favorite grimm episode but i do like the reaper ear offing scene

RE: Rewatch: 1x04 - Lonelyhearts - HellJacket - 06-08-2013

(06-08-2013, 08:39 AM)bookofknowledge Wrote: dont know why but this is my least favorite grimm episode but i do like the reaper ear offing scene

I feel the same way. This episode would make my bottom five Grimm episodes, except Renard and the reaper are both so cool that they save this episode from being the worst. I think at this point in writing the first season of Grimm, the producers were still going for Fairy Tales meets Criminal Minds.

I often wonder the order that episodes were actually written. I get the feeling that Beeware was written after this one, even though it was shown first. That might also mean that the reaper stuff in this episode was inserted into the story after most of this episode was already written.

RE: Rewatch: 1x04 - Lonelyhearts - Lou - 06-08-2013

Oh, you know what else I liked about this episode? (pointedly ignoring BofK and HK)
I liked the chick in the bar. Nick can't get rid of her. Billy can't even get rid of her. Man, that's some potent toad.

But they really shouldn't call those toads. They are frogs. ( I think they are Red Eyed Tree Frogs - but i'm not sure.)
They are endangered but I think they only live in Mexico.

There are some toads that are hallucinogenic. Like the Colorado River Toad. my favorite is the one in the movie Big Trouble. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246464/synopsis

RE: Rewatch: 1x04 - Lonelyhearts - Sable677 - 06-08-2013

I liked this episode. I loved seeing Monroe helping Nick again. I also enjoyed seeing the Captain taking care of the Reaper situation.

RE: Rewatch: 1x04 - Lonelyhearts - FräuleinWunderlich - 06-11-2013

Good episode. And no insects. Wooohoo
Doesn´t surprise it anyone except me, that the reaper fall on his knees infront of Renard?

(06-08-2013, 12:31 PM)Lou Wrote: But they really shouldn't call those toads. They are frogs. ( I think they are Red Eyed Tree Frogs - but i'm not sure.)
They are endangered but I think they only live in Mexico.

There are some toads that are hallucinogenic. Like the Colorado River Toad. my favorite is the one in the movie Big Trouble. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246464/synopsis

I thought they came from Australia?Should we start a discussion about DNA and who the gift acts to a ziegvolk? Big Grin

RE: Rewatch: 1x04 - Lonelyhearts - Lou - 06-11-2013

(06-11-2013, 01:45 PM)FräuleinWunderlich Wrote: I thought they came from Australia?Should we start a discussion about DNA and who the gift acts to a ziegvolk? Big Grin

The red eyed tree frog and the Sonoran Desert Toad.