Grimm Forum
OPINION: Why reverting Juliette back into a human would be an all-around bad idea - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Spoilers (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Spoilers)
+---- Forum: Season 4 Spoilers (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-4-Spoilers)
+---- Thread: OPINION: Why reverting Juliette back into a human would be an all-around bad idea (/Thread-OPINION-Why-reverting-Juliette-back-into-a-human-would-be-an-all-around-bad-idea)

Pages: 1 2

OPINION: Why reverting Juliette back into a human would be an all-around bad idea - Hexenadler - 03-28-2015

"This is forever."
- Juliette Silverton

There have been countless occasions in television shows and films where a major character undergoes a significant transformation (literally or psychologically), only for the writers to subsequently backpedal and regress everything back to the status quo. It's practically become a trope in itself.

I doubt a lot of fans would willingly argue that Juliette's "evolution" into a Hexenbiest was a poor creative decision. For the first time in a while, the character is emotionally engaging in ways that haven't been seen since season 1. Her plight on the show is unique, in that she acts as an "ambassador" for the audience to the Wesen world, perhaps more so than even Nick. While Nick is a Grimm, and will always be somewhat alienated from many of his friends because of that fact, Juliette was "one of us" who became "one of them." That kind of rich potential in a character shouldn't be wasted. Having Juliette turn back into a human would fly in the face of the show's overarching theme about acceptance.

Keep Juliette a Hexenbiest. Take the conflict and story possibilities of that development and use them to their maximum potential. And above all else...let Nick and Juliette's love win out in the end. This is not to say that GRIMM should de-evolve into the TWILIGHT saga, but allowing Nick and Juliette to transcend their differences in a genuinely deep and meaningful way would set GRIMM hundreds of feet above the rest of the competition.

RE: OPINION: Why reverting Juliette back into a human would be an all-around bad idea - OtterMommy - 03-28-2015

(03-28-2015, 09:52 AM)Hexenadler Wrote: "This is forever."
- Juliette Silverton

There have been countless occasions in television shows and films where a major character undergoes a significant transformation (literally or psychologically), only for the writers to subsequently backpedal and regress everything back to the status quo. It's practically become a trope in itself.

I doubt a lot of fans would willingly argue that Juliette's "evolution" into a Hexenbiest was a poor creative decision. For the first time in a while, the character is emotionally engaging in ways that haven't been seen since season 1. Her plight on the show is unique, in that she acts as an "ambassador" for the audience to the Wesen world, perhaps more so than even Nick. While Nick is a Grimm, and will always be somewhat alienated from many of his friends because of that fact, Juliette was "one of us" who became "one of them." That kind of rich potential in a character shouldn't be wasted. Having Juliette turn back into a human would fly in the face of the show's overarching theme about acceptance.

Keep Juliette a Hexenbiest. Take the conflict and story possibilities of that development and use them to their maximum potential. And above all else...let Nick and Juliette's love win out in the end. This is not to say that GRIMM should de-evolve into the TWILIGHT saga, but allowing Nick and Juliette to transcend their differences in a genuinely deep and meaningful way would set GRIMM hundreds of feet above the rest of the competition.

I'll take the opposite side. I'm not a huge fan of Juliette as a Hexenbiest. Admittedly, part of that is how the show has handled it so far--they have done a 180 with her character which leaves some viewers (I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one) scratching their heads.

I'm also a little offended by it. It almost seems to me that, by making Juliette a Hexenbiest, they are saying that non-Grimms and non-Wesens are essentially weak. Early on in her Hexenbiest life, that was a big thing for Juliette--she didn't need Nick to protect her. But, look at her encounter with the Manticore. Before she woged she was huddled on the floor and whimpering. I don't think she ever looked so weak as she did in that moment.

I'm not going to go into the argument of what the writers should have done instead of making her a hexenbiest as I just don't think that's productive. However, I will go into what I'd like to see them do from here. For one thing, I just don't see how they can sustain her as a hexenbiest. I really think that is the sort of a development that has a big bang when it happens and then they either just let it go or the keep pushing it until they lose control of the arc. I would like her to become, if not human again, at least not hexenbiest (I can see they could make it so that, in the process of losing her hexen powers, she becomes something else with a unique set of skills). But I do think they need to make sure she keeps an element of strength that she did not have as "human" (even if she did beat up a Klaustreich and can shoot like an ace).

RE: OPINION: Why reverting Juliette back into a human would be an all-around bad idea - Hexenadler - 03-28-2015

(03-28-2015, 10:17 AM)OtterMommy Wrote: I'm also a little offended by it. It almost seems to me that, by making Juliette a Hexenbiest, they are saying that non-Grimms and non-Wesens are essentially weak. Early on in her Hexenbiest life, that was a big thing for Juliette--she didn't need Nick to protect her. But, look at her encounter with the Manticore. Before she woged she was huddled on the floor and whimpering. I don't think she ever looked so weak as she did in that moment.

Well, let's also keep in mind that, a few seconds later, she completely annihilated him. I don't think Juliette was so much afraid of the Manticore, as what she was going to become if pushed. Think Carrie White with a scary ghoul-face. Both Renard and Henrietta have warned Juliette about losing control, and that could be a plot ingredient that'll reach its boiling point near the end of the season.

RE: OPINION: Why reverting Juliette back into a human would be an all-around bad idea - OtterMommy - 03-28-2015

(03-28-2015, 10:32 AM)Hexenadler Wrote: Well, let's also keep in mind that, a few seconds later, she completely annihilated him. I don't think Juliette was so much afraid of the Manticore, as what she was going to become if pushed. Think Carrie White with a scary ghoul-face. Both Renard and Henrietta have warned Juliette about losing control, and that could be a plot ingredient that'll reach its boiling point near the end of the season.

Yes, she did....as a hexenbiest. That's the contrast I think they are drawing, whether or not they are doing so intentionally: humans (non-Grimm, non-Wesen) are weak and Grimms and Wesen are so much stronger. It has to do with what people are, not who they are...and that is what I don't like about this.

Look at Wu and Hank. They are both cops and it is safe to say that they are both physically strong and have received professional training that would make them "stronger" than a civilian. Yet, neither of them would really be a match for a Wesen. So far in this show, we haven't seen any indication that they would be any good against a Wesen criminal without Nick.

I would much to see characters who are strong because of who they are--Juliette doesn't have to be a hexenbiest to be strong, she can be strong on her own and I wish that she had been so since the beginning. On the other hand, Adalind is a hexenbiest and, in many ways, she is very, very weak. I think Juliette could have been--and maybe could still be--an illustration of everything that Adalind is not.

RE: OPINION: Why reverting Juliette back into a human would be an all-around bad idea - Grimmster123 - 03-28-2015

I just kind of see the writers recycling the same plot over and over again and each time it seems as though the characters have learned nothing from their past experiences. This is probably the fourth or fifth time that Juliette and Nick have gotten into a fight.

First it had to do with Nick not telling her he was a Grimm and then it had to do with Adalind putting her in a coma and then it was because she turned into a hexenbiest. I mean how many times do they have to get into a fight to realize that arguing with themselves makes zero sense. I'm fine with a little conflict here and there but at least make them learn something from it.

The writers keep pulling Juliette and Nick apart then having them reconcile and then sticking an even bigger wedge in between them. My guess is that the two of them will eventually come to terms that they are what they are and then Juliette is going to find out that Adalind is carrying Nick's baby and the whole cycle will repeat itself again.

RE: OPINION: Why reverting Juliette back into a human would be an all-around bad idea - Hexenadler - 03-28-2015

(03-28-2015, 11:37 AM)OtterMommy Wrote: Yes, she did....as a hexenbiest. That's the contrast I think they are drawing, whether or not they are doing so intentionally: humans (non-Grimm, non-Wesen) are weak and Grimms and Wesen are so much stronger. It has to do with what people are, not who they are...and that is what I don't like about this.

Look at Wu and Hank. They are both cops and it is safe to say that they are both physically strong and have received professional training that would make them "stronger" than a civilian. Yet, neither of them would really be a match for a Wesen. So far in this show, we haven't seen any indication that they would be any good against a Wesen criminal without Nick.

I haven't seen enough episodes to be a good judge of how effective Hank is when going toe-to-toe with Wesen, but I distinctly remember Wu cold-cocking a Wesen during an interrogation scene, after he had woged. Give the guy some more credit.

Quote:I would much to see characters who are strong because of who they are--Juliette doesn't have to be a hexenbiest to be strong, she can be strong on her own and I wish that she had been so since the beginning. On the other hand, Adalind is a hexenbiest and, in many ways, she is very, very weak. I think Juliette could have been--and maybe could still be--an illustration of everything that Adalind is not.

Well, there you go. Obviously I can't speak for the rest of the fanbase, Juliette becoming a better version of Adalind is something I'd love to see.

I'll try to give you a comparison: For the past couple of years, a character in the INCREDIBLE HULK comic book, Betty Ross, was resurrected and mutated into her own superpowered monster, "Red She-Hulk." Some of the best things done with Betty were written after she'd undergone this change.

But just recently, Betty's powers were forcibly removed, reverting her back into a human. Suffice to say, I lost interest in the series after that (chiefly because Marvel Comics has already been backpedaling on many major plot developments for years).

My point is, undoing Juliette's status as a Hexenbiest is giving in to societal pressure, of being made to feel insecure about your status as the "Other" and accept that being a "Normal" again is your only real hope. Yes, Juliette received her Hexenbiest powers involuntarily, but I'd more intrigued to see how she comes to grip with her condition as opposed to finding a "cure."

Try to imagine Juliette's Hexenbiestery as a metaphor for autism. Sure, it badly debilitates you on a social level, but you also become a prodigy in other fields, such as creative writing or mathematics. You're a freak by other people's so-called standards, but when someone calls you "unique," they're not bullshitting you either.

I agree with you that Juliette should become a stronger character, but her new Hexenbiest persona dosn't necessarily need to overrid[/quote]e everything you liked about Juliette in the first place. There are more than two options on the table here.

(03-28-2015, 01:21 PM)Hexenadler Wrote: My point is, undoing Juliette's status as a Hexenbiest is giving in to societal pressure, of being made to feel insecure about your status as the "Other" and accept that being a "Normal" again is your only real hope. Yes, Juliette received her Hexenbiest powers involuntarily, but I'd more intrigued to see how she comes to grip with her condition as opposed to finding a "cure."

I actually see her staying a hexenbiest as giving in to societal pressure. I mean, what society does Juliette live in? Her partner is a Grimm, her closest friends are Wesen. Her "normal" friends have disappeared and the only friend who predates Nick who has ever been given any kind of substantial time on the show turned out to be a fuchsbau (married to a Klaustreich). If Juliette ever had the "other" status, it was before she became a Hexenbiest. And, yes, Hank and Wu are kehrseite-schlich-kennen (yeah, I had to look that up), but they are also cops, giving them another tie to the rest of Juliette's world that she does not have.

Look, I don't know where the writers are going with this. Heck, I don't know if the writers know where they are going. Bitsie Tulloch, while being excited that Juliette is now a hexenbiest, has also been very guarded about Juliette's future. The reaction to Juliette's transformation has been decidedly mixed (I'm not the only person who is not wild about it. In fact, there are many on twitter who are furious about it whereas I just think it was an unwise decision) and I have a feeling that the writing team is having to scramble right now due to some, ahem, other plot developments that received a strongly negative reaction so I think it is ALL up in the air.

With Juliette as a hexenbiest *now,* it will be interesting to see where they go with it. That being said, I think the biggest mistake the writers could make would be to let this hexenbiest thing permanently break up Nick and Juliette.

(03-28-2015, 02:10 PM)OtterMommy Wrote: With Juliette as a hexenbiest *now,* it will be interesting to see where they go with it. That being said, I think the biggest mistake the writers could make would be to let this hexenbiest thing permanently break up Nick and Juliette.

Oh, I think we'll always be able to agree on that. Wink

RE: OPINION: Why reverting Juliette back into a human would be an all-around bad idea - Gaultheria - 03-28-2015

(03-28-2015, 12:59 PM)Grimmster123 Wrote: I just kind of see the writers recycling the same plot over and over again and each time it seems as though the characters have learned nothing from their past experiences. This is probably the fourth or fifth time that Juliette and Nick have gotten into a fight.

First it had to do with Nick not telling her he was a Grimm and then it had to do with Adalind putting her in a coma and then it was because she turned into a hexenbiest. I mean how many times do they have to get into a fight to realize that arguing with themselves makes zero sense. I'm fine with a little conflict here and there but at least make them learn something from it.

It bothers me that they had Juliette reveal her hexenbiest condition to Nick in the most dramatic way possible. It looked great on the screen, but she'd had time to cool down from the adrenaline rush of the fight. If she'd asked Nick to sit down beside her to talk -- told him her story, and shown him her hexen face only once he'd said he was ready and had asked to see it -- he might not have pointed his gun at her. I'm guessing that vets know better ways to convey tragic and horrifying news than "I have something to show you".

RE: OPINION: Why reverting Juliette back into a human would be an all-around bad idea - Sable677 - 03-28-2015

I'm not sure whether I want Juliette to stay a hexenbiest or not. So far I'm not liking how much Juliette has changed since it happened, and I definitely am not liking how this is playing out with Juliette/Nick. I don't want to see Juliette turn too dark that she can't come back, and I am afraid that is where this is headed. I liked what Juliette brought to the team as a human, and I liked how she had finally come to terms with Nick being a Grimm and wanting to be a part of his world anyways. I saw her as a strong character before as she took control learning to shoot and reading up on Grimmlore to better protect herself. I am just in wait and see mode right now. I definitely want to see Nick and Juliette overcome this latest obstacle though.