Grimm Forum
S4E14 - Bad Luck - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 4 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-4)
+---- Thread: S4E14 - Bad Luck (/Thread-S4E14-Bad-Luck)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - speakeasy - 03-24-2015

(03-24-2015, 02:22 PM)Samsarilian Wrote:
(03-24-2015, 08:25 AM)speakeasy Wrote: The nature vs. nurture debate continues to this day. I get the feeling from postings by Samsarilian and you that you both fall into the nurture side of the spectrum as having the most influence on the formation of a person's character. So does Kelly and the others, evidently. Guess I do, too, but in this case, can't escape feeling that of all possible wesen and, as you pointed out, given the source as Adalind's line, - the Hexenbiest in Juliette would fight hardest to win an internal battle for dominance. Should be intriguing to see how it all plays out; one thing we can't complain about in the journey we take with Grimm is that it's predictable. Smile

Actually I was studying to be an Engineer when I took Psychology one. I had been reading Psych text for years before that but Math and Logic are my filters. Nature and Nurture to me are the two sides of a single equation they are in balance as far as I can tell. You could also say that though I am a Christian by raising, training, and basic belief, I am a Tai-ist (sp? pronounced Dowist but it is chinese) or Wican/Druid by outlook. I believen in balance more than good or evil. They can not exist without each other any more than light and dark, day and night, passion (both love and hate) and appathy.

I agree that balance in the sense you describe it is a good philosophy, a sound goal to strive for in life. It seems an approach which doesn't attempt to address the right or wrong of a situation (which becomes a discussion of ethics). It may involve letting things take their course or choosing decisions that preserve balance, and that's a pretty civilized way to respond, where possible. Also agree that the concept of good vs. evil is an oversimplification in most instances.

If I understand correctly, we could say that your belief that generalizations about what it means to be a Hexenbiest, for example, don't necessarily make one good or evil, but the balance such a wesen achieves within itself is the definer. No problem with that concept. My concern with N and J is that the balance sought within one may come at the cost of the balance needed within the other. Oil and water kind of thing. It's also possible they can arrive at a balanced relationship that suits each of them.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - Samsarilian - 03-24-2015

(03-24-2015, 03:27 PM)speakeasy Wrote: I agree that balance in the sense you describe it is a good philosophy, a sound goal to strive for in life. It seems an approach which doesn't attempt to address the right or wrong of a situation (which becomes a discussion of ethics). It may involve letting things take their course or choosing decisions that preserve balance, and that's a pretty civilized way to respond, where possible. Also agree that the concept of good vs. evil is an oversimplification in most instances.

If I understand correctly, we could say that your belief that generalizations about what it means to be a Hexenbiest, for example, don't necessarily make one good or evil, but the balance such a wesen achieves within itself is the definer. No problem with that concept. My concern with N and J is that the balance sought within one may come at the cost of the balance needed within the other Oil and water kind of thing. It's also possible they can arrive at a balanced relationship that suits each of them.

Unfortunately all simple philosophies as you put it tend to break down where relationships are concerned. Relationships have a life of their own making what would be a system of complex equations (bordering on chaos theory) and anyone can tell you solving those is an art form in itself. That balancing the good of the individuals and the relationship is why most marriages end in divorce.

As far as oil and water are concerned add soap to break down the surface tension between them and they mix nice. The hard part in relationships is finding the soap. It tends to be admitting to the other person the stuff you really do not want to admit to yourself. Again why most relationships end with the individuals going separate ways, it is hard to admit those things to anyone.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - Hexenadler - 03-25-2015

(03-24-2015, 03:27 PM)speakeasy Wrote: If I understand correctly, we could say that your belief that generalizations about what it means to be a Hexenbiest, for example, don't necessarily make one good or evil, but the balance such a wesen achieves within itself is the definer. No problem with that concept. My concern with N and J is that the balance sought within one may come at the cost of the balance needed within the other. Oil and water kind of thing. It's also possible they can arrive at a balanced relationship that suits each of them.

Maybe J and N just need a break. Have one intimate, small-scale episode where they get the hell away from the world and disappear inside a forest cabin or a sailboat for the weekend, just to figure out their relationship again without society (human or Wesen) butting its head in.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - speakeasy - 03-25-2015

(03-25-2015, 06:08 AM)Hexenadler Wrote:
(03-24-2015, 03:27 PM)speakeasy Wrote: If I understand correctly, we could say that your belief that generalizations about what it means to be a Hexenbiest, for example, don't necessarily make one good or evil, but the balance such a wesen achieves within itself is the definer. No problem with that concept. My concern with N and J is that the balance sought within one may come at the cost of the balance needed within the other. Oil and water kind of thing. It's also possible they can arrive at a balanced relationship that suits each of them.

Maybe J and N just need a break. Have one intimate, small-scale episode where they get the hell away from the world and disappear inside a forest cabin or a sailboat for the weekend, just to figure out their relationship again without society (human or Wesen) butting its head in.

There you go! Without outside distractions, maybe if she can stop with the ghoul-face and he can put a lid on the shop talk, they can find their way back to the reasons they fell in love in the first place. I realize that the 'film is in the can' for the next few episodes but from your lips to the writer's ears on something like this happening to give them the space needed for them to adjust to this new dimension of their relationship.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - OtterMommy - 03-25-2015

[

There you go! Without outside distractions, maybe if she can stop with the ghoul-face and he can put a lid on the shop talk, they can find their way back to the reasons they fell in love in the first place. I realize that the 'film is in the can' for the next few episodes but from your lips to the writer's ears on something like this happening to give them the space needed for them to adjust to this new dimension of their relationship.
[/quote]

I did read on twitter that they are now doing pitches for season 5, so maybe.... I mean, with the response to this episode has been pretty uniform across all social media platforms, so the writers and TPTB must know that they've taken a wrong turn and need to correct it.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - syscrash - 03-25-2015

We don't know if they took a wrong turn yet. We still have not seen what Juliette will become or how Nick will deal. We have only seen his immediate reaction.
His immediate reaction he had no problem looking at her. Yes he reacted but he did not look away. It was after talking to Henrietta that he would not look at her. Considering that Henriette demonstrated with a look, a hexenbiest can influence someone. Nick not wanting to look is very understandable. Even if Juliette did not intend to influence Nick she could do it on instinct which is what has been controlling her powers so far. It is her running on instinct that has her afraid of hurting Nick. Could Juliette influence Nick unintentionally. Considering that she does not even know it is possible sure. Can you imagine what is going on in Nicks mind. He must be reflexing on all of the confrontations with Adalind wondering if he was influenced. He must be wondering what other abilities he has to worry about. What needs to happen is Sean needs to give Nick and Juliette a basic lesson in hexenbiest 101. All that Nick and Juliette know about hexenbiest is what they read in the books. The books only cover how to eliminate hexenbiest. They do not cover how to be a hexenbiest.
Even as a viewer is it the look or the touch, or can you influence based on proximity. We don't even know so I am sure Nick does not know. So he is running on assumptions. Right now he only knows they can. Something he did not even know existed.

I see this going Juliette will come back home but they will keep their distance not because she is a hexenbiest. But because they realize the possibility of Juliette accidental hurting Nick. As Juliette gains more control and confidence she won't accidentally hurt Nick the more they will work on their relationship. The relationship will still remained strained because Nick will want Juliette to return to being his girlfriend / wife even as a hexenbiest. Juliette will want to embrace her powers.

(03-25-2015, 11:08 AM)syscrash Wrote: We don't know if they took a wrong turn yet. We still have not seen what Juliette will become or how Nick will deal. We have only seen his immediate reaction.
His immediate reaction he had no problem looking at her. Yes he reacted but he did not look away. It was after talking to Henrietta that he would not look at her. Considering that Henriette demonstrated with a look, a hexenbiest can influence someone. Nick not wanting to look is very understandable. Even if Juliette did not intend to influence Nick she could do it on instinct which is what has been controlling her powers so far. It is her running on instinct that has her afraid of hurting Nick. Could Juliette influence Nick unintentionally. Considering that she does not even know it is possible sure. Can you imagine what is going on in Nicks mind. He must be reflexing on all of the confrontations with Adalind wondering if he was influenced. He must be wondering what other abilities he has to worry about. What needs to happen is Sean needs to give Nick and Juliette a basic lesson in hexenbiest 101. All that Nick and Juliette know about hexenbiest is what they read in the books. The books only cover how to eliminate hexenbiest. They do not cover how to be a hexenbiest.
Even as a viewer is it the look or the touch, or can you influence based on proximity. We don't even know so I am sure Nick does not know. So he is running on assumptions. Right now he only knows they can. Something he did not even know existed.

I see this going Juliette will come back home but they will keep their distance not because she is a hexenbiest. But because they realize the possibility of Juliette accidental hurting Nick. As Juliette gains more control and confidence she won't accidentally hurt Nick the more they will work on their relationship. The relationship will still remained strained because Nick will want Juliette to return to being his girlfriend / wife even as a hexenbiest. Juliette will want to embrace her powers.

Actually, I was referring to the development with Adalind--THAT has gotten some very uniform feedback.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - speakeasy - 03-25-2015

(03-25-2015, 09:37 AM)OtterMommy Wrote: I did read on twitter that they are now doing pitches for season 5, so maybe.... I mean, with the response to this episode has been pretty uniform across all social media platforms, so the writers and TPTB must know that they've taken a wrong turn and need to correct it.

Seems the consensus here is that fans aren't particularly enamored with the idea of a second pregnancy for Adalind. Guess the twitter followers feel that way, too? I kept wondering how it could be worked out that Juliette would also be the child's mother because of the merging of her and Adalind. But then I remembered Juliette did a pregnancy test and it was negative.

So Adalind gets a baby out of the experience and Juliette gets to be a Hexenbiest, what fun. One thing's for certain, those two babies are going to be close enough in age to be rivals in a power struggle - or maybe just loving siblings. Smile

(03-25-2015, 12:46 PM)speakeasy Wrote:
(03-25-2015, 09:37 AM)OtterMommy Wrote: I did read on twitter that they are now doing pitches for season 5, so maybe.... I mean, with the response to this episode has been pretty uniform across all social media platforms, so the writers and TPTB must know that they've taken a wrong turn and need to correct it.

Seems the consensus here is that fans aren't particularly enamored with the idea of a second pregnancy for Adalind. Guess the twitter followers feel that way, too?

Very much so! I'm sure the producers loved all the "Congrats, you just jumped the shark @NBCGrimm" tweets that were flying on Friday night.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - Samsarilian - 03-25-2015

(03-25-2015, 11:08 AM)syscrash Wrote: We don't know if they took a wrong turn yet. We still have not seen what Juliette will become or how Nick will deal. We have only seen his immediate reaction.

How to kill a hexan... Hmm. In martial arts you are taught technique to counter technique but you have to recognize the art you are facing and the technique being used. That means you have to be aware of the possibility. The books would be similar. It would tell you how to counter a given ability of the Hexan that should be a clue to Juliette who is not stupid that this action is a possibility and that she can practice doing it. No it is not a how to precisely but it should point her in the right direction. In chemistry they never tell you mix this, this and this to make an explosion and that is how to make a bomb. But you can use your head and figure out from the reactions you are taught and the safety warnings how to do it. I know of too many cases where teens have done it and been hurt.