Grimm Forum
S4E14 - Bad Luck - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 4 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-4)
+---- Thread: S4E14 - Bad Luck (/Thread-S4E14-Bad-Luck)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - Lou - 03-22-2015

Good idea. Here is my haiku.

This concept is clear.
Debate a topic is good.
Diss a peep is bad.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - syscrash - 03-22-2015

I don't know if there is a term for it. But I saw "Bad Luck" as a gateway episode. Just before the break the show took a long time to do character devlpment on Juliette's new character. Usually this takes place over the course of the series. This time they needed to get up up to speed really quick before the show takes a break. Coming back "Bad Luck" seemed more of a recap to reestablish each character. And remind us where we are. The only new plot was Adalind pregnant. and that was not new because the promos already told us that was coming. If you follow the show there was nothing that happened that you could say "did not see that coming". I am thinking "Double Date" will be a continuation for the series recap. Watching the pre break promos it includes points from "Bad Luck" and "Double Date". On other shows I have seen this as a prelude to the show getting ready to make a big change. The writers want to get everybody up to speed so you don't go what the heck scratching you head with how and why. By the time we get to "Heartbreak" we will see new alliances and a change in show. I predict the story arc will be more in the forefront the WOW will take a back set. With by the end of Season four the WOW will be more implied instead of the drawn out storytelling. I see Season five being all story drama. You now have enough main characters in the know and having dealt with all parts of wesen politics to have each character able to choose sides. Season five will revolve around the ongoing implied battle with the ultimate confrontation involving the keys. The keys that will have a profound impact on all. It will also be where they bring up the apocalyptic aspect which has been an ongoing implication. The finally will see the group in a fight to save mankind while the rest of the world is impervious to the impending doom. My question is who will be the savior and who will be the sacrifice. Nick, Juliette, Diana. The could even make Adalind come to redemption and become the savior. (Spike in BTVS)

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - Elkhound - 03-23-2015

Something that just occurred to me. It has been remarked that the boy who was killed was called "Peter"--an obvious shout out to the Beatrix Potter story. But did you notice that the hunter spoke with a vaguely Scots or Irish accent? Who was Peter Rabbit's nemesis in the story? Mr. MacGregor.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - Samsarilian - 03-23-2015

(03-22-2015, 07:05 PM)syscrash Wrote: My question is who will be the savior and who will be the sacrifice. Nick, Juliette, Diana. The could even make Adalind come to redemption and become the savior. (Spike in BTVS)

Ah, do you mean they Adalind could be the savior as in hero, or she would become a WILLING sacrifice?

She has switched sides so often to this point no one who knows her would believe hero if she survived only if she were to willing take a fall. Even if she betrayed the Royals to the scoobie gang and the resistance it would be hard to believe if she lived.

I will admit I could see her going she dragon to protect the kid or kids.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - speakeasy - 03-23-2015

(03-23-2015, 07:56 AM)Elkhound Wrote: Something that just occurred to me. It has been remarked that the boy who was killed was called "Peter"--an obvious shout out to the Beatrix Potter story. But did you notice that the hunter spoke with a vaguely Scots or Irish accent? Who was Peter Rabbit's nemesis in the story? Mr. MacGregor.

Good connection there. Also, I noticed a BP connection in using the name Beatrice for the mother. All that was lacking was a sister named Flopsy or Mopsy. Smile

I liked all the rabbit references of this episode. Kinda took a little of the edge off viewing the horror of the bloody person-sized rabbit foot standing under the bed of the couple wanting to conceive - definitely not a turn-on. Peter did resemble the sheep-like wesen to me when he woged, but the mom had more prominent rabbit ears, haha, guess it's an age thing. Sis was awesome and showed she could think as quick as a bunny. Went there.

I'm am now in official mourning for the Juliette we once knew. Got a sinking feeling she won't be coming back. In her place is a happy, shiny hexenbiest, of a most impressive configuration. The universe no longer makes sense to me; next thing you know, they'll be telling us a Grimm and a Wesen can have a child together! Wink

Although I'd like to see Nick and Juliette stay together, I predict they won't. And if J stays this way, I hope they don't, because I wouldn't enjoy the new basis for their relationship, comprised of a potentially dangerous, touchy, vengeful hexenever, trying to live under the same roof with what I regard as her constitutional, psychological and biological opposite. I'll live, though, and will probably get used to the idea. Smile

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - Hexenadler - 03-23-2015

(03-23-2015, 01:16 PM)speakeasy Wrote: Although I'd like to see Nick and Juliette stay together, I predict they won't. And if J stays this way, I hope they don't, because I wouldn't enjoy the new basis for their relationship, comprised of a potentially dangerous, touchy, vengeful hexenever, trying to live under the same roof with what I regard as her constitutional, psychological and biological opposite.

To the contrary. I think a fiery relationship like that could make season 5 absolutely AMAZING.

I'll put it this way: I had no real interest in this show until Juliette underwent her Hexenbiest transformation. Now I'm anticipating every episode; not to see how Nick and Juliette are driven apart, but how they overcome the obstacles set out in front of them. That's not to say there won't be any struggle or conflict (that's how television shows live and breathe), but while every other popular TV series out there seems to be always striving for the worst-case scenario, a contemporary, optimistic "Beauty and the Beast" story should be allowed to slip through once in a while.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Julie and Nick need to get a dog. Preferably a basset hound. The chilled-out demeanor of such an animal is precisely the sort of presence needed to relieve the tension in the Burkhardt household right now. Tongue

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - speakeasy - 03-23-2015

(03-23-2015, 01:58 PM)Hexenadler Wrote:
(03-23-2015, 01:16 PM)speakeasy Wrote: Although I'd like to see Nick and Juliette stay together, I predict they won't. And if J stays this way, I hope they don't, because I wouldn't enjoy the new basis for their relationship, comprised of a potentially dangerous, touchy, vengeful hexenever, trying to live under the same roof with what I regard as her constitutional, psychological and biological opposite.

To the contrary. I think a fiery relationship like that could make season 5 absolutely AMAZING.

I'll put it this way: I had no real interest in this show until Juliette underwent her Hexenbiest transformation. Now I'm anticipating every episode; not to see how Nick and Juliette are driven apart, but how they overcome the obstacles set out in front of them. That's not to say there won't be any struggle or conflict (that's how television shows live and breathe), but while every other popular TV series out there seems to be always striving for the worst-case scenario, a contemporary, optimistic "Beauty and the Beast" story should be allowed to slip through once in a while.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Julie and Nick need to get a dog. Preferably a basset hound. The chilled-out demeanor of such an animal is precisely the sort of presence needed to relieve the tension in the Burkhardt household right now. Tongue

Valid points all. Except the dog part; gotta question why no other wesen on the show are known to have pets - thinking it might throw an animal who relies so much on instinct to discern between the wesen and human conditions of its owner. Did absolutely no research to back up my position on dogs as wesen pets, so I won't be surprised if there actually are some wesen pet-owners around, but I call disclaimer to Adalind's or other hexenbiest's cats because I consider them as familiars. (How's that for fence-sitting?) Big Grin

Seriously, I feel most fans agree with you. Additionally, I'd wager Bitsie likes this new role a whole lot better. And there is the liberating new sense of self-determination that she will experience as a hexenbiest. Also, who wouldn't like to possess magical powers. The thing is for me, that if J is a hexenbiest, then she must also be transformed into a being that views the world through the lens of self-interest. H's don't wait for events to unfold, they strive to direct and control them. They seem to be compelled to do so by their supernatural natures. I happen to like the Adalind character alot and think that she will grow into a very powerful Hexenbiest - always have had that opinion of her. But I'm not crazy about her type of wesen as examples of upstanding citizens, reliable friends, trustworthy helpmates, etc. The jury is out on Elizabeth and Henrietta for me, but Catherine was a typical hard-hearted Hexenbiest, and Frau Pech was the worst, in my book. Then there's the Captain, my all-around favorite character on Grimm. He seems dangerous, but has a conscience, I think. I feel there's hope for him. So perhaps Juliette can infuse enough of her innate fine character into this new form and emerge a hybrid Hexenbiest who can be a force to be reckoned with, but also has the ability to empathize.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - syscrash - 03-23-2015

With Juliette a hexenbiest for them to work. Nick will have to abandon his male attitude of "i'm not a man unless I protect my girlfriend". He has to adjust to having a girlfriend that not only can protect herself but can protect him. Nick strikes me as someone who would be offended if Juliette offered to pay for dinner.
Take for instance Juliette just finished mopping up the floor with Adalind. If that was Hank they would have been high fiving each other. But with Juliette he doesn't even acknowledge her abilities. if it had of been me coming in the house and seeing all the knives in the wall. I would have been concerned but after finding out my girlfriend had that kind of power. There would have been high fives all the way around. If it was me we would be an unstoppable duo. The Next case we would be side by side going after whoever. I guess that is why I like Kelly so much. When she dominated Meisner taking control, then demanding from the pilots that she was in charge. What did she say I don't trust anyone I can't kill. With a mom like that what happened to Nick. But then Kelly's sister raised Nick.

(03-23-2015, 03:14 PM)speakeasy Wrote:
(03-23-2015, 01:58 PM)Hexenadler Wrote:

Valid points all. Except the dog part; gotta question why no other wesen on the show are known to have pets - thinking it might throw an animal who relies so much on instinct to discern between the wesen and human conditions of its owner. Did absolutely no research to back up my position on dogs as wesen pets, so I won't be surprised if there actually are some wesen pet-owners around, but I call disclaimer to Adalind's or other hexenbiest's cats because I consider them as familiars. (How's that for fence-sitting?) Big Grin

Seriously, I feel most fans agree with you. Additionally, I'd wager Bitsie likes this new role a whole lot better. And there is the liberating new sense of self-determination that she will experience as a hexenbiest. Also, who wouldn't like to possess magical powers. The thing is for me, that if J is a hexenbiest, then she must also be transformed into a being that views the world through the lens of self-interest. H's don't wait for events to unfold, they strive to direct and control them. They seem to be compelled to do so by their supernatural natures. I happen to like the Adalind character alot and think that she will grow into a very powerful Hexenbiest - always have had that opinion of her. But I'm not crazy about her type of wesen as examples of upstanding citizens, reliable friends, trustworthy helpmates, etc. The jury is out on Elizabeth and Henrietta for me, but Catherine was a typical hard-hearted Hexenbiest, and Frau Pech was the worst, in my book. Then there's the Captain, my all-around favorite character on Grimm. He seems dangerous, but has a conscience, I think. I feel there's hope for him. So perhaps Juliette can infuse enough of her innate fine character into this new form and emerge a hybrid Hexenbiest who can be a force to be reckoned with, but also has the ability to empathize.

Before Juliette became a hexenbiest she showed she has no problem exacting extreme violence. I mean clock a guy in the head with an iron skillet then kick him in the nuts. That is not someone I would want to pissof. In Tribunal she shot the first guy without blinking or hesitation.

As a hexenbiest she is losing all fear to the point where she is getting a snarky attitude. What did she tell the manticore "maybe he should come home and find you dead". But the best was "Bring it on bitch". juliette is becoming like Trubel. What did the detective say about Trubel cutting Weston head off. "My daughter would have been freaking out". The same with Juliette we have never seen her freak out about anything. Seeing Rosale woge freaked her but she came right back.

I just hope they don't make Juliette go n offense like Adalind. Keep her as a defensive character like Nick. But then I am one of the people who would love to see Adalind pull in her claws. Mainly because she is so lousy at being a villain. Also don't start dressing her in black or leather. She is not a super hero.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - Sable677 - 03-23-2015

I am enjoying seeing this new side of Juliette, but I wouldn't be unhappy if it wasn't permanent. I don't trust Henrietta because she is playing all sides and Juliette and Nick only have her word on it. The thing that confused me though was Adalind figured out what happened but Sean seemed surprised when he first saw Juliette. Did Elizabeth know what would happen? And if Adalind knew how Nick could get his Grimm back then what was the point? Adalind apparently didn't know it would connect her to Nick like that mind switching thing. I'm very confused on who knew what. I think that Nick and Juliette are being tested (adding Adalind to the mix means an even bigger test), but I think that they can prevail. Adalind and Sean are not all bad so Juliette just needs to learn to control her Wesen side like Nick needed to learn how to control his Grimm. He didn't know everything right away, and he still learns as he goes. Nick had some out of control moments himself such as Zombie Nick so he knows about regret and not being in control. Plus Monroe and Rosalee both have pasts of their own when they were out of control.

RE: S4E14 - Bad Luck - Hexenadler - 03-23-2015

(03-23-2015, 03:14 PM)speakeasy Wrote: Valid points all. Except the dog part; gotta question why no other wesen on the show are known to have pets - thinking it might throw an animal who relies so much on instinct to discern between the wesen and human conditions of its owner. Did absolutely no research to back up my position on dogs as wesen pets, so I won't be surprised if there actually are some wesen pet-owners around, but I call disclaimer to Adalind's or other hexenbiest's cats because I consider them as familiars. (How's that for fence-sitting?) Big Grin

Well, there was a scene in "Marechaussee" where Juliette woged while on her job, and the animals in the room didn't seem to respond too well. I don't know if that's a hint as to why we never see Wesen owning any pets, but there's nothing to suggest a dog or cat can't acclimatize to having a Wesen owner either. I guess that's one as-yet-undetermined part of GRIMM canon.

Quote:Then there's the Captain, my all-around favorite character on Grimm. He seems dangerous, but has a conscience, I think. I feel there's hope for him. So perhaps Juliette can infuse enough of her innate fine character into this new form and emerge a hybrid Hexenbiest who can be a force to be reckoned with, but also has the ability to empathize.

That's the best possible route they can take with her character, IMO. Enough aspects of Juliette's original mindset could remain, albeit filtered through a Hexenbiest's darker nature and only visible in pivotal dramatic moments, and/or private scenes between herself and Nick.