Grimm Forum
S4E13 - Trial by Fire - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 4 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-4)
+---- Thread: S4E13 - Trial by Fire (/Thread-S4E13-Trial-by-Fire)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

S4E13 - Trial by Fire - Gretel Hanselsister - 02-13-2015

Season 4 Episode 13
Trial by Fire

[Image: 413hypo6.jpg]

Air Date: February 13, 2015

Synopsis: When an arson case looks to have Wesen origins, Nick (David Giuntoli) find himself reluctantly having to ask an old foe for help. Elsewhere, Viktor (guest star Alexis Denisof) teaches Adalind (Claire Coffee) the effectiveness of well-played diplomacy. Meanwhile, Juliette (Bitsie Tulloch) finds herself in a confrontation sooner than expected. Russell Hornsby, Silas Weir Mitchell, Sasha Roiz, Reggie Lee and Bree Turner also star.

RE: S4E13 - Trial by Fire - droid327 - 02-14-2015

Nice callback to the Bauerschwein...funny to see Nick's first season haircut in the flashback Smile Although Monroe's flashback to "Mean Wolf" didn't really seem in character after all the development he's gone through since then. Plus, with all he's been through (and signed up for), especially the Wesenrein recently, you'd think he'd be a little less upset about having had a gun pointed at him, that's kinda just part of the game at this point. And he knows Nick tries to be a cop first and a Grimm second...that's how their relationship even works in the first place, so he cant act all high and mighty when Nick cares more about justice than about Wesen bs.

Juliette, Juliette...oh well, at least we got that out of the way. Juliette had her big SFX-heavy Dark Lord of the Sith fight scene and we all get it, you want to establish she's such a B.A. now because she's been so worthless before. I almost feel bad for Adalind, the universe really does seem to just poop on her parade every chance it gets. Grimm kills her mom, Grimm takes her powers, Grimm steals her baby, and now Grimm's girlfriend turns out to be a better Hexenbiest than she is. She never gets a win. But then again she puts herself in these situations by being completely worthless too, as a Hexenbiest, as a mother, as an international woman of mystery...you have to wonder if she was even a good lawyer or if they just kept her around to look good Smile

Wu is turning into quite the bookworm, seems like he's the go-to trailer expo guy now. The Asian guy is good at studying, that's not racist at all...

I really liked the actor's performance as the firebug. He reminded me of Denis Leary in the face, but he really pulled off a cold, detached and capable diabolic professionalism that's been sometimes lacking from the trained hit men and assassins we've seen before. Its too bad they had to blow him up at the end, and in such a really anticlimactic way - *fzzt* - I guess they spent all their SFX budget on flying housewares...

I really dislike when they get technobabbly. If you're going to make it scientific, then do your homework and make it plausibly scientific. If you're not, just make it Wesen mumbo jumbo and that's fine, we accept it (except for maybe "frog toxin makes you immune to electric eels"). But spraying him down with Nickelodeon slime is somehow supposed to suppress phosphorus ignition? How exactly, then, did they get it on his *back*? Or what about all the rest of the places he clearly wasn't coated, why couldn't the fire burn there? And why couldn't a regular fire extinguisher, which blocks oxygen and prevents chemical fires by spraying a nonflammable powder or foam, have done the trick just as well, without having to invent your own super-soaker version? They make "Class D" fire extinguishers specifically for burning metals like phosphorus. And how are herbs and beeswax supposed to be "nonflammable" as they specifically said it had to be? You're just inviting that kind of de-suspension-of-disbelief when you're that sloppy with your writing and fact-checking.

RE: S4E13 - Trial by Fire - busyizzy - 02-14-2015

I loved this episode. There were a few technical misses, I agree, but those are never as bad IMHO as storyline mistakes and not keeping to the arc, which is why most of us signed up for Grimm. I just think "good grief" and move on. I do think putting the super soaker in the trailer weapons armoire was a nice touch.

Bringing back Orson was a great idea. He brought in a (recent) historical perspective, something the show has otherwise lacked, unless it comes from the books. Orson also resolved some tension with Monroe. This was a good thing because, truthfully, seeing that sort of hate in Monroe was oxymoronic to the character. Good for Rosalee for sticking to her guns.

"Dennis Leary!" I screamed when the episode first begun. I thought OMG...they DID bring in the big guns. Cut to second scene, and it wasn't Dennis, of course, but Gideon Emery played a great pyro, I mean, Excandesco. I agree with @droid327 that he really "felt" like the epitome of a "real bad dude," something the show has needed since Eric was killed off.

I briefly thought "oh no" at the stereotype (Asians are great at studying) about Wu as well. However, upon further reflection, I realized that's totally in Wu's police character. He's been the guy who did a lot of research on his own anyway. He really looked into finding a reasoning behind the forensics in the Aswang episode, and he certainly pulled the crosshairs on TRubel. Nick, Hank, and Sean have been asking him to "look into" stuff since day one.

Speaking of research...the guy Sean had looking for Kelly and Diana is a double agent. I hope he gets the nasty from the Zauberbiest; he deserves it.

I thought the Grimm writers could have done a better job of setting up the 'Biest fight throughout the show. We all knew it was coming, but I would have liked a little more tension leading up to it and verbal sparring--perhaps with Juliette finding out more info about Viktor and what they were planning. That being said....

The fight scene itself ROCKED. I loved it. Grimm knows how to put on a good fight scene. It was bad a$$ and Juliette's control under pressure was amazing. She didn't have time to overthink being a 'Biest...she just WAS the 'Biest. The knives were a great touch as was the abject look of horror on Adalind's face right before she fled the house.

I'm not sure we're going to get our nice human Juliette back, @Lou, because it looks as though she REALLY embraced her abilities. I don't think human Juliette was worthless as some have said. I think she was a mushroom, blinded by all the dark smelly stuff the Grimm writers and other characters dumped on her. She had already come into her own in Season 4. It was great to see her develop into a strong life partner for Nick and develop her own Scoobyness with the rest of the gang. I guess we'll see since now there's a Season 5 on the horizon.

I hope Nick and Juliette have good insurance on their house. Juliette needs to put a protective spell on it like Henrietta did hers because that house takes a licking...

RE: S4E13 - Trial by Fire - Grimmster123 - 02-14-2015

I really enjoyed this episode! I'll be honest, the hexenbiest fight was good but also a little bit of a let down. Throughout the entre episode I was thinking "When are they going to fight?!" and then finally they got to it around the 55-minute mark. The real reason I liked this episode so much was the return of Lt. Orson. I've been saying for a while now that they should bring back an old foe which I know is a tough task given that most of them are dead. However they decided to bring back Orson and I think that Daniel Roebuck put on a pretty good performance. In fact, I actually felt kind of sad for him when they brought him back to jail. Another thing I liked about this episode is that their was a little bit of a whodunit factor in this one that has been lost recently. I mean we knew it was the Escandesco that started the fire but we didn't know who it was. At first I thought he was a disgruntled ex-employee and then I thought that the lawyer just hired him to help out his buddy but it turned out being his son so that was fun to see as well.

RE: S4E13 - Trial by Fire - Samsarilian - 02-14-2015

(02-14-2015, 08:19 AM)busyizzy Wrote: I hope Nick and Juliette have good insurance on their house. Juliette needs to put a protective spell on it like Henrietta did hers because that house takes a licking...

Love this idea... can you imagine the looks on officers faces trying to figure out how they approached the door then was facing out it at the porch. lol

Now for one more thing to imagine. She has done the easy reveal. Nick loves her. Wait till she is trying to explain it to Kelly. I know that mother and daughter in laws are supposed to have problems but this is pushing it wouldn't you think? After all she had a problem with a blutbad and fochsbau as friends now a hexanbiest for a potential daughter in law?

RE: S4E13 - Trial by Fire - UndercoverGrimm - 02-14-2015

Wow you guys they did it! I remember us, discussing earlier about an episode where blutbud and bauerschwein stop a crime together They must be, reading our post.

Anyways I like the episode. Seeing LT.Orson again was great. I think they should let him out early now. I kind of laughed when Monroe and Rosalee were arguing. I was like" are they really going to break up now?"

Adalind should stop trying. Another baby oh wow.

RE: S4E13 - Trial by Fire - Bob G - 02-14-2015

Yeah, the beeswax in the fire retardant was a little weird; they make beeswax into flaming candles.

Loved the 'Honey, we need to talk' moment.

And Nick took Adalind's powers; why couldn't he do the same for Juliet, if she wants them gone?

RE: S4E13 - Trial by Fire - SvenJoli - 02-14-2015

Is Nick going to be a father?

RE: S4E13 - Trial by Fire - Samsarilian - 02-14-2015

(02-14-2015, 09:10 AM)Bob G Wrote: Yeah, the beeswax in the fire retardant was a little weird; they make beeswax into flaming candles.

Loved the 'Honey, we need to talk' moment.

And Nick took Adalind's powers; why couldn't he do the same for Juliet, if she wants them gone?

Nicks blood is already in her. It got there through Adalind's blood which was used in the twin curse. IE it would not be effective. That at least is the prevalent theory.

RE: S4E13 - Trial by Fire - busyizzy - 02-14-2015

(02-14-2015, 09:10 AM)SvenJoli Wrote: Is Nick going to be a father?

I'm thinking so, SJ! We all were speculating that Juliette may have gotten preggers during the morph thing (did it impact her birth control, etc) when it is entirely possible that Adalind is the one who got pregnant by Nick! That's just nasty! If it's Nick's, basically this is a rape baby, and I would find that entire concept beyond horrible. It would also be another of those Grimm twists on real life. Instead of Rohypnol taking the victim's choices away, it was a h'biest tonic and spell.

Portland is weird...er!