Grimm Forum
How did Nick end up in Portland? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: How did Nick end up in Portland? (/Thread-How-did-Nick-end-up-in-Portland)

Pages: 1 2

How did Nick end up in Portland? - Elkhound - 02-24-2014

He was from New York State originally, and after he lost his parents in an accident, Aunt Marie took him in; we don't know where she lived, but we presume back east.

I'm going to guess that he came to Portland for college and decided he liked it there. Here's Wikipedia's list of Oregon colleges/universities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universities_in_oregon If you sort by city, you will see that there are about eighteen in Portland. (Most city police departments insist on at least an associate's degree, and if one wants to get beyond patrolman, one needs to have at least a bachelor's.)

Because of his drawing abilities, I'm guessing he was an art major; Portland has two art schools, not to mention art departments at colleges/universities.

RE: How did Nick end up in Portland? - Lou - 02-25-2014

I think we know a little bit about this - in least from inference.
I don't think Aunt Marie was living back East when she took Nick in. Not sure why, or i have any good reason to believe that.
But I think we know that Marie gave up her Grimming while taking care of Nick. We think she became a librarian. And after Nick went off to school she went back to her Grimming in someplace like Montana. (License plate of the trailer could be a clue).
We do know that Nick went a long time without seeing Aunt Marie before the show started. Perhaps after he went off to college Marie went back to being a Grimm and avoided Nick so that he wouldn't be in danger. Also, Renard almost came out and said once that he recruited Nick. There seems to be some evidence that Renard knew who Nick was before hand but there also is plenty of evidence that he didn't.

RE: How did Nick end up in Portland? - Elkhound - 02-25-2014

If Aunt Marie knew he was a potential Grimm and that he would inherit her archive, why didn't she make him take Latin and German in school?

RE: How did Nick end up in Portland? - Hyndara - 02-25-2014

As far as I know Marie lived somewhere in New York (State), not too far from Rhinebeck. As I'd said in the other thread, we don't know why she began to run after the crash, but she definitely spend some time in getting rid of the belongings of the Burkhardts before she and Nick began their journey.
I remember Mr. G. telling about that, that Nick was actually living in California before he came to Portland. And he moved to Portland because of his job and him becoming a detective. I don't know why he also spend a short time then still in uniform after he started working at the Third precinct, maybe he had to wait before the detective-job was free, don't know. But he definitely moved to PDX because of the job, not for college.

RE: How did Nick end up in Portland? - Elkhound - 02-25-2014

So, he would have gone to college somewhere in California. But again--why didn't she urge him to take Latin or German? Most colleges have foreign language requirements.

RE: How did Nick end up in Portland? - Hyndara - 02-26-2014

I don't know. As I've said before, maybe she hoped it would go past him? I'm only wondering why she brought the trailer with her to PDX if she hoped Nick would never become a Grimm.

RE: How did Nick end up in Portland? - Elkhound - 02-26-2014

(02-26-2014, 03:25 AM)Hyndara Wrote: I don't know. As I've said before, maybe she hoped it would go past him? I'm only wondering why she brought the trailer with her to PDX if she hoped Nick would never become a Grimm.

Perhaps she had thought he wouldn't 'activate', but got some indication that he would after all. Or, even if he never did, she thought he'd be able to keep the archive safe in case his kids or his non-Grimm uncle's children might need it.

RE: How did Nick end up in Portland? - Hyndara - 02-26-2014

(02-26-2014, 10:42 AM)Elkhound Wrote: Perhaps she had thought he wouldn't 'activate', but got some indication that he would after all. Or, even if he never did, she thought he'd be able to keep the archive safe in case his kids or his non-Grimm uncle's children might need it.

Now I've a question: Why do you think Unkle George is actually still alive and has kids? So far he only was mentioned one time and it doesn't look like Nick has any contact to him - IF he's a relative. Beside, George could also come from Reed's side of the family. We don't know.

RE: How did Nick end up in Portland? - Elkhound - 02-27-2014

(02-26-2014, 11:33 AM)Hyndara Wrote: Now I've a question: Why do you think Unkle George is actually still alive and has kids? So far he only was mentioned one time and it doesn't look like Nick has any contact to him - IF he's a relative. Beside, George could also come from Reed's side of the family. We don't know.

Nick asked if Uncle George 'is' a Grimm, not if he 'was' a Grimm; that means that he's still alive. The fact that Nick thought that it was reasonable that George might be a Grimm indicates that he is from Kelly's family. And Nick did mention 'the cousins' didn't he? [/i]

RE: How did Nick end up in Portland? - Hyndara - 02-27-2014

(02-27-2014, 07:50 AM)Elkhound Wrote: Nick asked if Uncle George 'is' a Grimm, not if he 'was' a Grimm; that means that he's still alive. The fact that Nick thought that it was reasonable that George might be a Grimm indicates that he is from Kelly's family. And Nick did mention 'the cousins' didn't he? [/i]

No, he didn't mention any cousins. i just rewatched 2.01 and 2.02 to clear something else, so I especially was focussed on his family-chatter with Kelly.
Yes, Nick stayed in presence there, but we don't know WHO this Uncle George is. And Nick doesn't seem too serious about this question at all, so maybe George comes from his Grandmothers side, is probably a little weird (I somehow have this picture of a Monroe-like man in mind and don't know why). Last night I asked the writers about George, they didn't even remember him, so I think that was sort of inside-joke and probably there never existed a real uncle called George.
And, remember, Nick asked about George in season 2, now we are backhalf season 3. There are lots of possibilities that George is dead now as he never was mentioned again.