Grimm Forum
Discussion - Grimm: The Chopping Block - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Comics & Books (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Comics-Books)
+--- Thread: Discussion - Grimm: The Chopping Block (/Thread-Discussion-Grimm-The-Chopping-Block)

Pages: 1 2

Discussion - Grimm: The Chopping Block - grimmfreak - 02-15-2014

the first chapter of the new Grimm Book "The Chopping Block" is now online... Here is the link
http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2014/02/read-a-chapter-of-grimm-the-chopping-block-prior-to-its-release.html

RE: Discussion - Grimm: The Chopping Block - Hyndara - 02-25-2014

My thoughts about this you can find at my LJ:

Review The Chopping Block

RE: Discussion - Grimm: The Chopping Block - grimmfreak - 02-25-2014

I have only read the first 5 chapters but so far I'm enjoying this a lot more than the icy touch... The characters are much more accurate and the fight scenes are much more elaborate

RE: Discussion - Grimm: The Chopping Block - grimmfreak - 03-19-2014

This is by far the better of the two grimm novels so far... It was a wild ride and while there's some truth to the criticism saying the horror elements are best of what this book had to offer... Isn't that the point! The Chopping block made my stomach turn and my blood boil and I loved it.

RE: Discussion - Grimm: The Chopping Block - avyblue - 04-27-2014

I finished reading this book about three weeks ago ( I just can't stop reading it over and over again ;D) and I`m glad that I bought it (I bought the german Version of the book and there are some weird mistakes in it but I don't mind about that, exept for one- have you ever heard of "Nick Griffin"? They just mixed the names... whatever ^^)
some parts are definately very bloody and scary but it's a really good story, it stills exiting until the end and I can't stand waiting for the third novel ( I think I'll buy the third one in english because I just can't wait until it will be released in german I know I'm quite impatient Wink

RE: Discussion - Grimm: The Chopping Block - Gretel Hanselsister - 10-30-2014

I finally found the time to read "the chopping block", and I enjoyed it!
It will never get my favorite book, but it's entertaining. The blood almost drops from the pages! I didn't count the victims.

A funny thing is the side-story with the ill dog Juliette has to treat. It's very dramatic, the whole family suffers with the poor dog and in the end Juliette really manages to save him (or was it a her?) after spending sleepless nights twisting her mind about what to do. And in the meantime a handful of humans die in the sadistic hands of the murderer, but that's Nick's problem!

I can recommend the book, it's a good read. Don't expect world literatur but entertainment.

RE: Discussion - Grimm: The Chopping Block - Grimm Up North - 10-30-2014

I'm now about half way through the latest book, 'The Killing Time' and I must say that,so far, I still think 'The Chopping Block' is the best of the three novels.
To me it seemed to capture the various characters mannerisms best on the page, and I could easily see the plot as an episode of the show.

I felt that 'The Icy Touch' was written by someone unfamiliar with the show or the characters and, while I am definitely enjoying the latest one, there have been one or two occasions when I have thought that certain characters actions or reactions have not been true to their natures as shown on screen, and have served purely to fit the plot.

RE: Discussion - Grimm: The Chopping Block - Lou - 02-12-2015

I haven't read any of the other books. My public library got this book in paperback and i thought I would like it.
First observation is sort of tangential, but this is the first paperback book I've read in 2 years. And I had a lot of trouble with the size of the print. Maybe its my eyes but I think it had a lot to do with the print size too. anyway i found I couldn't read for more than 20 minutes before i got eyestrain. And that was frustrating and negativley effected my reading experience.

As mentioned by several others, I felt the writer did a great job of keeping the look and feel of the book consistant with the TV show. The characters themselves were not described at all so I felt that the book was written for the fans of the show who don't need to be reminded of what the characters look like. The only thing I think they got wrong was the car Hank drives. They called it a VW CC. but i think Hank drives an American make. But the author got a lot of the details right. In one instance Nick puts a cell phone call on speaker so that he can have a little mini conference. and thats one of the things that happens in the show constantly.

I thought it was neat that the story spends some pages on Juliette. As a fan i have often been frustrated with how little she gets to do in each episode.

As far as the story goes, i thought it was a little too much. The body count was huge. Blood and Gore factor was off the chart. No way it would have worked on TV so I guess it had to be a novel. but that part didn't seem consistent with the show.

Overall i would give it 3 stars out of 5.

RE: Discussion - Grimm: The Chopping Block - MarylikesGrimm - 05-22-2017

(02-12-2015, 10:01 PM)Lou Wrote: I haven't read any of the other books. My public library got this book in paperback and i thought I would like it.
First observation is sort of tangential, but this is the first paperback book I've read in 2 years. And I had a lot of trouble with the size of the print. Maybe its my eyes but I think it had a lot to do with the print size too. anyway i found I couldn't read for more than 20 minutes before i got eyestrain. And that was frustrating and negativley effected my reading experience.

As mentioned by several others, I felt the writer did a great job of keeping the look and feel of the book consistant with the TV show. The characters themselves were not described at all so I felt that the book was written for the fans of the show who don't need to be reminded of what the characters look like. The only thing I think they got wrong was the car Hank drives. They called it a VW CC. but i think Hank drives an American make. But the author got a lot of the details right. In one instance Nick puts a cell phone call on speaker so that he can have a little mini conference. and thats one of the things that happens in the show constantly.

I thought it was neat that the story spends some pages on Juliette. As a fan i have often been frustrated with how little she gets to do in each episode.

As far as the story goes, i thought it was a little too much. The body count was huge. Blood and Gore factor was off the chart. No way it would have worked on TV so I guess it had to be a novel. but that part didn't seem consistent with the show.

Overall i would give it 3 stars out of 5.

Now that the show is over, do you still feel the same about the books?

RE: Discussion - Grimm: The Chopping Block - Hexenadler - 05-22-2017

(02-12-2015, 10:01 PM)Lou Wrote: I thought it was neat that the story spends some pages on Juliette. As a fan i have often been frustrated with how little she gets to do in each episode.

Does the book go into any detail about Juliette's family? We found out next to nothing about Juliette's relatives on the show, aside from her grandmother.