Grimm Forum
S03E10 - Eyes of the Beholder - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 3 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-3)
+---- Thread: S03E10 - Eyes of the Beholder (/Thread-S03E10-Eyes-of-the-Beholder)

Pages: 1 2

RE: S03E10 - Eyes of the Beholder - speakeasy - 01-11-2014

(01-11-2014, 05:04 PM)parsonii Wrote: Staged or not staged, I like the girl power scene.

Again, loved the scene, but found it interesting that she went from a totally boring character to a kick-ass, literally, one. I guess the undying reasoning was that once she learned about wesen and Grimm, she started her martial art training? :/ Nick went from a regular cop to Ninja cop as soon as he found out that he's Grimm too, no training required. Part of the Grimm power? Big Grin Be nice if the show sneaked in a line or two about their martial art training. Big Grin

You're right, this is a complete 180 degree change from the character of most of last season. But back in the first season Juliette showed a lot more spirit. She defended herself in a number of episodes (e.g., against the dragon-girl in the tunnels, by throwing a pot of scalding water on the troll guy, and and holding a gun on the wesen who was force-feeding his wife for that golden egg thingy) and I always missed that part of her personality in the dreadful "I'll put a hex on you" storyline that died such a slow death in S2. But she does seem to have some martial arts moves now that were not around back in the day. Big Grin

RE: S03E10 - Eyes of the Beholder - droid327 - 01-12-2014

Is the writer for this episode new? It just...."felt" really schlockier than previous episodes of Grimm. Forced, like others have said. Juliette's fight scene was unnecessary and her one-liner was untenable. And everyone's a Wesen, geez... Cant it just be people sometimes? Tongue And can't the people who are people just be people, and not have to become a bad-A Wesen-fighting pseudo-Grimm? Plus, since when does Zombie Nick conveniently go down with one sucker punch, just so Juliette can earn her brown belt? Also, still feel like Zuri is a bit too conveniently created for Hank's love interest, though at least she got a storyline of her own outside of that.

It felt reeeeeally thinly veiled that they're doing a "Wesen as an analogue for gay people" thing. Considering Sean Hayes is one of the EPs, I really hope they don't get too...soapboxy(?) with that. It kinda felt like a bit of nostalgic fantasy for someone who lived in the closet, the way Hank and Juliette were bashing their Wesen pals over their heads with love and acceptance...and down that road lies Glee. I just don't want to have 15 mins of every Grimm episode devoted to an "It Gets Better" PSA, necessarily.

Was that a synth cello they used when Monroe was playing? It sounded like it, and his fingerings didn't seem to match up to the sounds, either, which always bothers me with playing fake TV instruments...if Miley Cyrus can lip sync for TV, you can finger sync a cello Smile

Didn't Monroe used to run with a Blutbad street gang in Portland? He seemed very detached and rather surprised at the idea, considering what we know about his own "dark days".

Good things about the episode: they cleared the air with Alicia and dealt with Joe, that would have been a very tiresome story arc if they tried to milk that out much more. Great character development with Rosalee and Monroe - I think it helped them to remind everyone that they both have some dirt on their shoes, that they're not the saccharine sitcom couple they'd kinda been looking like lately. And...yeah, that's about it. It just felt like a very "filler" episode.

edit: oh! oh! and Hank is "(getting) too old for this (sh*t)"? Really? You actually wrote the black cop partner that line? If Nick ever tells Rosalie's mom "Yippie cay yay, Mother Fuchsbau", I'm taking Grimm off my DVR Tongue

RE: S03E10 - Eyes of the Beholder - NorCalZombie - 01-12-2014

(01-12-2014, 12:36 AM)droid327 Wrote: If Nick ever tells Rosalie's mom "Yippie cay yay, Mother Fuchsbau", I'm taking Grimm off my DVR Tongue

I kinda want them to do this just so I can enjoy hearing Nick say the line. Maybe toss Monroe an "I'll be back." as he leaves the house. Now, I want a cheesy 80s action hero type wesen. Haha.

RE: S03E10 - Eyes of the Beholder - parsonii - 01-12-2014

(01-12-2014, 12:36 AM)droid327 Wrote: Is the writer for this episode new? It just...."felt" really schlockier than previous episodes of Grimm. Forced, like others have said.

Speaking of feeling forced, must the wesens always exclaim "Oh my God, you are a Grimm" before they freak out (woman in hospital, the abusive husband)? I think just looking at Nick, registering that he's a Grimm, then freak out (like they did in all the other episodes) are sufficient / better. Why does the fact that he's a Grimm needs to be stated repeatedly, not like there's anyone else left in the room who doesn't already know / need to know that.

I do like how Nick has that look on his face while he waits for the wesens to identify him as a grimm. Big Grin

And Nick repeatedly saying "I can come back as a Grimm" was pretty tacky too. First couple times were cute, now they are just overdoing it. Undecided

And, why was he the one chasing after the freaked out abused wife? Wouldn't that just make her freak out more if she already thinks he is trying to kill her? Undecided I guess that all has to happen that way for Juliette's fight scene to happen...

RE: S03E10 - Eyes of the Beholder - Gretel Hanselsister - 01-12-2014

(01-12-2014, 11:08 AM)parsonii Wrote: And, why was he the one chasing after the freaked out abused wife? Wouldn't that just make her freak out more if she already thinks he is trying to kill her? Undecided I guess that all has to happen that way for Juliette's fight scene to happen...

He was just making sure she does nothing stupid like running back to Joe to hide from the Grimm. Or simply running on the street in panic and being hit by a car.
Hey, the Juliette-fight was absolutely cool, I stick to it Tongue.

RE: S03E10 - Eyes of the Beholder - droid327 - 01-12-2014

(01-12-2014, 02:09 AM)NorCalZombie Wrote: Now, I want a cheesy 80s action hero type wesen. Haha.

Done and done!

[Image: reptilian-aliens-the-last-starfighter-grig.jpg]

He's the baddest Genio innocuo of them all!

"I've always wanted to fight a desperate battle against incredible odds!"

RE: S03E10 - Eyes of the Beholder - Secret Keeper - 01-12-2014

(01-11-2014, 05:04 PM)parsonii Wrote: Nick went from a regular cop to Ninja cop as soon as he found out that he's Grimm too, no training required. Part of the Grimm power? Big Grin Be nice if the show sneaked in a line or two about their martial art training. Big Grin

Wasn't there one scene, I think last season, that showed Nick and Monroe practicing with one of the weapons? I think it was around the time he killed the two Reapers.

(01-11-2014, 05:04 PM)parsonii Wrote: Yeah, the brother and sister being Wesen was predictable. For a while there when the boy didn't morph in the interrogation room I was holding onto the hope that he's human. At this rate Hank, Juliette, and Wu will be the only humans left in Portland. Smile

This.

And Juliette trying to reassure her friend that she and Nick were okay with her being wesen was sort of... interesting? Funny? "Oh, it's okay with us. In fact, Nick is one of those people who have been killing your kind on sight for generations, so no problem whatsoever!" Definitely reassuring.

RE: S03E10 - Eyes of the Beholder - Nic118 - 01-13-2014

I'm a fan of Juliette, but even I thought she was being sort of dumb to keep pushing her friend to tell her the truth, let alone telling her Nick is a Grimm. Alicia was already going through something stressful, and the way Juliette was behaving was pushy and inconsiderate. (I guess the writers just needed to wrap that storyline up.) I did think it was very sweet the way Juliette hugged Alicia after she woged. I wonder if we'll ever see her again on the show.

I was a little annoyed at the "girl power!" fight as it seemed to come out of nowhere, but then I remembered how kick-ass Juliette used to be. Plus, she's scrappy and doesn't mind fighting dirty (boiling water in the face, cast iron skillet to the head). It was also nice that Alicia got in a few licks as well.

Honestly, Hank's relationship with Zuri, and the fact that she's Wesen, felt more forced. I was really hoping she wouldn't be Wesen, and she and Hank could have difficulties that don't necessarily have to do with that. (It seemed like they were going to set Hank up with the DA at one point, in which case their jobs could have had them working together/possibly at odds w.r.t. Wesen, without the girlfriend necessarily being Wesen.)

RE: S03E10 - Eyes of the Beholder - pale boy - 01-13-2014

(01-12-2014, 07:26 PM)droid327 Wrote:
(01-12-2014, 02:09 AM)NorCalZombie Wrote: Now, I want a cheesy 80s action hero type wesen. Haha.

Done and done!

[Image: reptilian-aliens-the-last-starfighter-grig.jpg]

He's the baddest Genio innocuo of them all!

"I've always wanted to fight a desperate battle against incredible odds!"

Probably laughed harder at this than I should have. XD Let's pretend it's canon now.

RE: S03E10 - Eyes of the Beholder - Hyndara - 02-17-2014

With extremely delay but finally: Picspam 3.10 Eyes of the Beholder you can find at my LJ