Grimm Forum
Fairy Tale Movies - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Community (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Community)
+--- Forum: Movies (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Movies)
+--- Thread: Fairy Tale Movies (/Thread-Fairy-Tale-Movies)

Fairy Tale Movies - RebeccaMatthews - 03-16-2013

Given that you are a member here, it's safe to assume that some part of you likes the Grimm fairy tale aspect of the show. With fairy tales being a great source of material for shows and movies, and having recently seen the new Jack the Giant Slayer movie, I've decided to start a general thread in which we can discuss all movies fairy tale, both theatrical and straight to tv releases.

This past year, there were two fairy tales brought to the big screen. Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, and Jack the Giant Slayer. Both were released in standard 2D, as well as 3D. I saw both in 3D and liked both of them. JMO, Hansel and Gretel was gory in the witch killings, but introduced two types of witches: white witches (good) and bad witches (the ugly ones to be nice). I would recommend not letting little kids watch this.

Jack, the Giant Slayer was far more family friendly. Admittedly, Nickolas Hoult (Jack) and Ewan McGregor (Elmont) were easy on the eye, and the teenaged girl part of me went for them. I thought it was an interesting take of the Jack story, and by having set in Albion and having it end like it did. Definitely something I would recommend seeing, even without the kids around.

I'm sorta interested in watching the Mirror, Mirror version of Snow White because it looks light hearted compared to the Snow White and the Huntsman movie (which suffers from having Kristen Stewart as its Snow White).

So what are some of your favourite fairy tale adaptions?

RE: Fairy Tale Movies - pale boy - 03-17-2013

Sounds like both movies were fun. I've been wary of watching stuff on the big screen lately. Quality seems to have dipped in the past few years. (Maybe it's just me.)

This isn't exactly a fairy tale adaptation, but it draws on a lot of fairy tales:

The Labyrinth. Anyone who knows who that is in my avatar won't be shocked that I love that particular 1980s cult classic. *cough*David Bowie*cough*

Which reminds me of a movie with a similar title, a horror-themed one called Pan's Labyrinth. Now that one is definitely not for kids. Or adults who don't like extremely dark and creepy tales. It was very good but I really cannot overstate just how dark it was. It was close to inducing Grave of the Fireflies level depression too. It'd recommend it to anyone who likes sad European cinema tinged with gore ... or the original Hans Christian Andersen fairy tales. (As an aside, Fireflies is an anime, but don't let the animation fool you; it is hands down the saddest film I have ever watched and it's even worse because it's based in truth. It's an unglamorous depiction of WWII as seen from the perspectives of a young brother and sister.)

RE: Fairy Tale Movies - Zobgeist - 03-22-2013

This isn't a family friendly movie, and it's a little old (from the 90's), but I liked the movie Sleepy Hollow. I believe it's a Grimm Brother's Fairy Tale.

RE: Fairy Tale Movies - pale boy - 03-22-2013

(03-22-2013, 11:09 PM)Zobgeist Wrote: This isn't a family friendly movie, and it's a little old (from the 90's), but I liked the movie Sleepy Hollow. I believe it's a Grimm Brother's Fairy Tale.

The one with Johnny Depp? I always liked that one too. Christopher Walken was especially creepy in that movie. Those teeth! Brrrr.

RE: Fairy Tale Movies - FräuleinWunderlich - 04-01-2013

(03-22-2013, 11:09 PM)Zobgeist Wrote: This isn't a family friendly movie, and it's a little old (from the 90's), but I liked the movie Sleepy Hollow. I believe it's a Grimm Brother's Fairy Tale.

The film is great but it´s not a Brothers Grimm story. The Film basics on Washington Irving The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Irving was inspired by Johann Karl August Musäus Rübezahl-Tales. Sorry when i sound smart-aleck, i don´t mean it so.

RE: Fairy Tale Movies - Lou - 04-04-2013

I'm really behind in my Fairy Tale Movie watching.
Well, it's over 5 years old now, and I think the main reason I liked it was because it was based on a Neil Gaiman novel - but i really liked Stardust.

RE: Fairy Tale Movies - angelapride - 09-27-2013

Fairy Tale Movie : A true story, i am just love this movie because this movie actually shows the real appearance of fairies in our life.

RE: Fairy Tale Movies - Lou - 07-10-2015

I saw the newest iteration of "Cinderella" last week. There was an IMDB entry - sort of complaint that it didn't follow the plot of the the Grimm Brothers' Cinderella. But a well informed person responded that the Grimm Brothers' Cinderella was based on an earlier story - and that the Disney animated Cinderella story and this newest one are both based on this earlier version. There are many small differences but the main one is that in the Grimm's version, the step-sisters do some cutting off of heels and toes to try and get the shoe to fit.

Has anyone seen the new movie? I really liked it. I especially liked the work the Art Department did. What did you think of the actress that they got to play Cinderella?