Grimm Forum
S03E06 - Stories We Tell Our Young - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 3 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-3)
+---- Thread: S03E06 - Stories We Tell Our Young (/Thread-S03E06-Stories-We-Tell-Our-Young)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

S03E06 - Stories We Tell Our Young - GrimmForum - 12-06-2013

Season 3 Episode 6
Stories We Tell Our Young

[Image: 8EjaGaz.jpg]

Air Date: December 6, 2013
Synopsis: Nick faces his toughest challenge yet when he and Hank investigate a case that combines religious phenomenon with the dark dealings of the Wesen Council. Meanwhile, Rosalee is torn when Nick’s case challenges her Wesen loyalties. Elsewhere, Captain Renard leaves town to tend to some “family matters.”

Trailer
Spoiler :

I think tonight's episode's going to be a good one. What are all your thoughts on this episode?

RE: S03E06 - Stories We Tell Our Young - Nic118 - 12-06-2013

It was cute to see Nick and Juliette working together so well, but I'm a little worried about them shoehorning Juliette (and her vet experience) into every case. (Especially since so many people already don't like her.) I'm a bit worried about Monroe and Rosalee at the moment. I think each of them did what they thought was the right thing, and of course it all worked out in the end; I just hope this fundamental disagreement doesn't mess their relationship up too much. (I thought Bree Turner was excellent in this episode; you could really see how the dilemma was tearing Rosalee up.)

I feel like I'm the only one thinking this, but I really wish they'd wrap up the whole Adalind's royal baby/who's the daddy storyline soon. It's giving off a whiff of soap opera plot (a bit like the amnesia last season) and seems like it's taking too long to resolve (again, like the amnesia last season). Plus, it's taking time away from more interesting matters; there's plenty going on with Nick's life in Portland, as well as Wesen and royal matters on the world stage.

RE: S03E06 - Stories We Tell Our Young - pale boy - 12-07-2013

This one was okay. I liked the B-plot way more than the main story this time around. I would have rather had focus on whatever dark dealings Renard & whatever-his-name-was were up to in Europe. The whole succession/Royal family/importance of Royals is really interesting to me and, to be entirely honest, I wish I could see more of that. The Adalind plot has been shunted to the side for the past few episodes, so that is kind of plodding along, just as @Nic118 mentioned it was.

Long story arcs can be a little exhausting, so I hope this one doesn't take all season to resolve ... can we skip a few months to the "congrats, it's a boy/it's a girl" scene? Wink

The whole thing with Juliette was nice -- glad to see her filling in the "smartie" role this episode -- but I thought she was a veterinarian. Where did all this other medical and scientific training come from? That part was a bit implausible to me since, as far as I know, she works with animals and isn't involved in researching diseases. (I'll just pretend she was studying for something else in college before switching to veterinary school; maybe she has an unused degree lying around somewhere!) That just seemed "off" to me.

And I have to wonder if that kid will have lasting damage from that "psycho parasite". It would seem like it should just by its very nature. An unhappy note if you think about it a bit, heh.

RE: S03E06 - Stories We Tell Our Young - Gretel Hanselsister - 12-07-2013

Nice ep!

That council guy searching for the boy, would he or Nick find him first, I found it really thrilling.

This stinking hole in Vienna what someone gave to Meisner as a “safe house” , this someone was a guy called Breslau. Never heared of him. I think we will meet him in one of the next eps. He’s got a city’s name, once German and belongs to Poland now “Wrocław“. I like the Vienna plot, Meisner is cool!

Adalind’s been living in the Sacher Hotel for ages now. FYI one night is over 500$ there. Cheapest Room.

I thought it was pretty stupid to let the boy cool down outside to a dangerous point. It would have been possible in hospital under controllable circumstances.

But I liked the idea about Grausen (= dread, horror) being parasites and the problems this case caused for Rosalee not knowing what to do without risking her or Monroes life or the friendship with Nick.

Nicks reaction when Monroe offered his help in the hospital was really good. Monroe had too much to lose, Nick is a true friend.

I liked the little lesson about Wesen genetics Smile The birds and the Bienen (bees) – Wesen-talk

1) Kehrseite (reverse, flip side) – Wesen: 50% chance the Baby will be Wesen
2) Kehrseite-Genträger (genetic carrier) – Wesen: 100% chance the Baby will be Wesen
And I think you are a Kehrseite-Genträger when you are the Baby in 1) who’s Kehrseite.
3) Wesen A – Wesen B, Grundverschiedene (entirely different) situation: it depends on the Vorherrscher (the one who dominates, prevails)

RE: S03E06 - Stories We Tell Our Young - Lou - 12-07-2013

(12-06-2013, 09:21 PM)Nic118 Wrote: It was cute to see Nick and Juliette working together so well, but I'm a little worried about them shoehorning Juliette (and her vet experience) into every case. (Especially since so many people already don't like her.)
I disagree with you there. I have always been a Juliette fan. I had to wait two seasons for her to get into the act. And I always hoped that her veterinary skills would be put to use. So I'm getting a big kick out of this Nick/Juliette element. Last week Juliette looked very comfortable in the trailer. This week the two of them are snuggled up on the couch researching whatever it was that Daniel was being called.
My only disappointment so far is that I expected Juliette to realize the books need to digitized and backed up by now.

As far as Monroe and Rosalle goes, this was the second episode in a row that they had smaller roles. bigger than last episodes, but smaller than usual. Juliette seems to be taking over some of Rosalee's role and Hank is back as Nick's primary partner. Two episodes don't make a trend - it could just be variety.

(12-06-2013, 09:21 PM)Nic118 Wrote: I feel like I'm the only one thinking this, but I really wish they'd wrap up the whole Adalind's royal baby/who's the daddy storyline soon. It's giving off a whiff of soap opera plot (a bit like the amnesia last season) and seems like it's taking too long to resolve (again, like the amnesia last season). Plus, it's taking time away from more interesting matters; there's plenty going on with Nick's life in Portland, as well as Wesen and royal matters on the world stage.

I doubt if you're the only one thinking this but the writers seem to stretch season long story arcs to the limit (example: Nick not telling Juliette S1, and Juliette's amnesia S2). And with baby's having a gestation period - expect this to be a season long story. But I don't mind it. They haven't spent that much time with her in the last two episodes but with Renard in Vienna I expect them to spend a little more time and move the story along a little more in the near future. But I don't expect a resolution till the end of the season and I sort of expect all of us to be tired of it by then.

(12-07-2013, 12:26 AM)pale boy Wrote:

The whole thing with Juliette was nice -- glad to see her filling in the "smartie" role this episode -- but I thought she was a veterinarian. Where did all this other medical and scientific training come from? That part was a bit implausible to me since, as far as I know, she works with animals and isn't involved in researching diseases. (I'll just pretend she was studying for something else in college before switching to veterinary school; maybe she has an unused degree lying around somewhere!) That just seemed "off" to me.

I think Vets have to go to school almost as long as people doctors do. In some areas they don't get to develop the skills that some of our doctors do because we don't take care of our animals to the extent as we take care of people but in some ways vets have to have better diagnostic skills than people doctors. You can't ask a cat where it hurts. Well, you can, but it doesn't do any, good does it?

And since the boy actually had a parasite - that was pretty much a skill/ knowledge area that a wet would HAVE to have. Dogs, cats, cows, and horses probably get more parasites than people. In fact, here in America, doctors used to never think much about parasites - that's why Giardia was so hard to diagnose at first. Oh, and people get giardia from drinking water contaminated by infected cows. And lots of dogs have been diagnosed with giardia, too

In fact, come to think of it - this whole story seemed to be perfect for Juliette to take the lead on and save the day. The writers probably knew the Giardia story and based this story a little bit on that.

Just a couple more highlights and take-a-ways I got from this story.
The writers seem to creating a universe where the only unexplained things are Weson. Space aliens? not from space - just rare and endangered Weson. Ghosts? They are Weson, too (maybe). Demonic possession? Well, not Weson but explained by science - a parasite. Vampires? Werewolves? Mermaids? Weson. Weson. Weson.

Wow. the Head Doctor at the hospital was really a piece of work.

The birds and the bees story was cute but I think the writers missed a little bit of an opportunity there. I think it could have been actually funny. But last year didn't we have a thread just on that subject. Being that Monroe and Rosalee used some terms that we don't know not everything has been answered but we did find a lot out more about the ins and outs of Weson reproduction. I hope someone will rematch that segment and add a little something to that thread.

(12-07-2013, 07:30 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: I liked the little lesson about Wesen genetics Smile The birds and the Bienen (bees) – Wesen-talk

1) Kehrseite (reverse, flip side) – Wesen: 50% chance the Baby will be Wesen
2) Kehrseite-Genträger (genetic carrier) – Wesen: 100% chance the Baby will be Wesen
And I think you are a Kehrseite-Genträger when you are the Baby in 1) who’s Kehrseite.
3) Wesen A – Wesen B, Grundverschiedene (entirely different) situation: it depends on the Vorherrscher (the one who dominates, prevails)

Oh, This is so great. Thanks Gretel!!

RE: S03E06 - Stories We Tell Our Young - Fuchsbauer - 12-07-2013

(12-07-2013, 07:30 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: That council guy searching for the boy, would he or Nick find him first, I found it really thrilling.

I totally agree. For me, that was the best part of the episode.

I always didn't mind Juliette, but know I like her more than before. I like how she wants to get involved and learn more.

I also noticed this is the second time we have seen Nick writing a diary entry about a creature, caring on the tradition of his ancestors.

In my opinion, best episode of Season 3 yet.

RE: S03E06 - Stories We Tell Our Young - HellJacket - 12-07-2013

Ratings Update.

On NBC, Dateline garnered a 1.4, up two tenths from last week's 1.2 adults 18-49 rating. Grimm earned a 1.6, up three tenths from last week's 1.3 adults 18-49 rating. Dracula earned a 1.1, up two tenths from last weeks series low 0.9 adults 18-49 rating.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/12/07/tv-ratings-friday-bones-the-carrie-diaries-grimm-dracula-rise-shark-tank-matches-season-high/220693/

If Grimm averages a 1.6 demo rating on Friday nights, it could get renewed for the next five years or until David Giuntoli feels likes moving on.

Also, if there are any Dracula fans on this forum, that 1.1, even if it adjusts down to a 1.0 probably means that show will also get renewed (assuming NBC doesn't mind putting up with JRM who is supposedly a very annoying alcoholic to work with).

RE: S03E06 - Stories We Tell Our Young - pale boy - 12-07-2013

@Lou -- thanks for the insight. Still, the plot with Juliette still does strike me as slightly implausible. Didn't feel quite right. It just seemed as if it would take longer for someone to come to conclusions about medical treatment like that. And I really don't see the parents as putting up with medical questions from detectives and a woman with no mentioned medical credentials (Juliette was never introduced as a vet or a doctor, just some sort of "consultant"). Very rushed.

And it was odd that a veterinarian knew how to treat a human patient better than medical doctors did. I really don't think the hospital would just boot out an undiagnosed yet obviously ill child patient like that because they couldn't "find anything wrong with him". Huh? I mean, what if that was capable of spreading? What about scientific curiosity? An undiagnosed disease that turns people into powerful rage monsters should have garnered some interest. Instead, we have the "mean" head doctor exhibiting almost deadly levels of stupidity.

I couldn't quite buy it, is what I'm saying.

@HellJacket -- oh, that's really great to see the ratings tick up like that. And I hope Dracula does get renewed. I inexplicably love that show.

RE: S03E06 - Stories We Tell Our Young - Nic118 - 12-07-2013

Biiiig thanks to Gretel Hanselsister for all the German(ish) info. Half of that sailed over my head, although I love-love-loved watching Monroe and Rosalee blushingly explain what happens when two different kinds of Wesen mate. I'm thrilled the ratings are up. Still, keeping my fingers crossed until we get an official renewal announcement.

I agree that this case was tailor-made for Juliette's experience. A lot of vets get their undergrad degree in the same things pre-med students do: biology, microbiology, etc. So it makes sense that she would know what was wrong w/ the kid when the human doctors didn't. They further explained that Juliette only really figured it out because she happens to have a colleague who'd dealt with the parasite in some horses. Convenient, yes?

Like pale boy said, it seemed rushed the way Nick introduced -- or didn't introduce -- Juliette to the parents. But maybe he didn't know how to explain her medical experience without saying she's a vet. (And what parent wants to hear their kid's being consulted on by a veterinarian?) I get that the parents were desperate, but the dad came across as a real asshole. You're willing to see a priest for an exorcism, but you can't consider the possiblity that the foreign doctors were wrong about your son having the flu? Idiot.

The doctor was being a bit of an ass, but I don't know what else she could have done, really. In America at least, hospitals are really eager to free up beds if they can't treat the patient (or the patient doesn't have good insurance Sad). Maybe it was a choice on the part of the actress that the doctor came across as so nasty about it, though. That was a little weird.

Quote:This week the two of them are snuggled up on the couch researching whatever it was that Daniel was being called.
Oh, that reminds me! I was so freaked out that Nick took the books out of the trailer! That information is already so unsecured! It's bad enough everybody and their mom knows where that trailer is; now you're bringing the books home? Nick, what are you doing? I keep hearing that they should digitize the trailer archives, but I can't help thinking about the possibility of someone (the Royals, perhaps) hacking into wherever they end up storing it.

Quote:Adalind’s been living in the Sacher Hotel for ages now. FYI one night is over 500$ there. Cheapest Room.
That ALSO reminds me (you guys are great at reminding me Wink): what exactly is she doing all day? I noticed she's came in with a leather portfolio in hand like she'd been in depositions all day or something. She apparently wasn't with the Renards. Is she still dancing to Stefania's (disgusting) tune or what? And does she actually have her powers back yet? They haven't shown her woge yet, so I'm a little confused.

RE: S03E06 - Stories We Tell Our Young - Lou - 12-07-2013

@PaleBoy, You make valid points but I still think that part of the story is OK. Years ago I read a story ( I cannot remember where and google didn't help) about a lady who for a year was slightly ill but couldn't get cured. She went to a lot of doctors and was being treated for a lot of things. It was at the point that (chronic-wise), it might turn lethal when she was finally diagnosed with Giardiasis. A disease that results from an infection of a parasite that lives in the intestines of animals. She probably caught it the year before while camping. Sometimes cows (who poop upstream of campgrounds) carry the disease. OH! and now i remember why I read the story. It was in relation to new and improved portable water filters for campers that was being recommended by the USFS.
Anyway, horses, cows, dogs and cats get Giardiasis. It may not kill them but it makes them chronically ill. So vets are on the lookout for that. And other parasites - like heart worm. While human doctors may not have their "parasite radar" turned on all the time.

Plus we were given more evidence that Juliette is really sharp - she knew how to spell Eukaryotic. Smile