Grimm Forum
Do wesen encounters turn deadly because of Nick's presence? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Do wesen encounters turn deadly because of Nick's presence? (/Thread-Do-wesen-encounters-turn-deadly-because-of-Nick-s-presence)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Do wesen encounters turn deadly because of Nick's presence? - irukandji - 01-13-2018

So Renard wouldn't need Nick to strengthen his alliance with the resistance then.

RE: Do wesen encounters turn deadly because of Nick's presence? - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-14-2018

He did make a point of telling the resistance leaders that he had a grimm (wishful thinking, I'd say) when he met them. None of them said anything about that, so no way of knowing if it had any influence on them but he obviously thought it would be a selling point or he wouldn't have mentioned it.

RE: Do wesen encounters turn deadly because of Nick's presence? - irukandji - 01-14-2018

I guess it was a good thing for Renard that the resistance never called him to the carpet and asked him to bring his grimm along so they could meet him then.

RE: Do wesen encounters turn deadly because of Nick's presence? - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-14-2018

Other than being able to arrange for Adalind and Diana to get flown out of Europe, it never seemed to me as if Renard got anything out of the resistance, and he never did much for them, either.

I wonder what they originally had in mind for this subplot before they threw everything away in S05 for the BC plot.

RE: Do wesen encounters turn deadly because of Nick's presence? - Robyn - 01-14-2018

(01-13-2018, 12:33 PM)irukandji Wrote: I know Renard was behind the killing of Marie, but he certainly didn't steer Nick's suspicion toward Adalind. Nick witnessed her trying to kill Marie. And from Adalind's perspective, she was willing to be the patsy in that. She willingly took the blame.

As for the resistance, didn't Renard already have that via Meisner?
Once Nick accepted Renard’s suggestion that they align against the Royals, he remained angry at and suspect of Adalind’s actions, while suspicion and anger toward Renard disappeared. Adalind retaliated against Nick, but she paid the price for Renard’s attack against Marie & Nick, while Renard gained a Grimm ally.

Nick either couldn’t see through Renard’s ‘talk’ and know he was being manipulated & used just as Adalind had, or, he understood that aligning with Renard ensured him a captain who would cover up Grimm duties compromising police procedures. If it’s the latter, the Nick/Renard alliance was a win-win.

As FitC said, Renard had contacts in the Resistance, such as Meisner and Sebastian, but he needed acceptance from Resistance leaders and gained that as a black sheep Royal wanting to destroy the seven families who had a ‘Grimm in his pocket’.

RE: Do wesen encounters turn deadly because of Nick's presence? - irukandji - 01-14-2018

(01-14-2018, 07:29 AM)Robyn Wrote: Once Nick accepted Renard’s suggestion that they align against the Royals, he remained angry at and suspect of Adalind’s actions, while suspicion and anger toward Renard disappeared. Adalind retaliated against Nick, but she paid the price for Renard’s attack against Marie & Nick, while Renard gained a Grimm ally.

But what I'm saying is what good is a grimm ally? Nick continues to call attention to himself on the street. Sometimes in very unorthodox ways. Renard never appeared to me to be a man who'd trust an ally who spotlights himself in unorthodox ways. Renard wouldn't have patience for that. After a while he'd have to see that Nick is more trouble than he's worth.

(01-14-2018, 07:29 AM)Robyn Wrote: Nick either couldn’t see through Renard’s ‘talk’ and know he was being manipulated & used just as Adalind had, or, he understood that aligning with Renard ensured him a captain who would cover up Grimm duties compromising police procedures. If it’s the latter, the Nick/Renard alliance was a win-win.

Naturally Nick would opt for a captain who'd cover up his antics. But that isn't of any benefit to Renard, except maybe on a one time basis. The way I understand Renard's character, he wants the most out of people who he favors. I don't see that happening in the Nick/Renard relationship.

RE: Do wesen encounters turn deadly because of Nick's presence? - Robyn - 01-14-2018

(01-14-2018, 09:11 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(01-14-2018, 07:29 AM)Robyn Wrote: Once Nick accepted Renard’s suggestion that they align against the Royals, he remained angry at and suspect of Adalind’s actions, while suspicion and anger toward Renard disappeared. Adalind retaliated against Nick, but she paid the price for Renard’s attack against Marie & Nick, while Renard gained a Grimm ally.

But what I'm saying is what good is a grimm ally? Nick continues to call attention to himself on the street. Sometimes in very unorthodox ways. Renard never appeared to me to be a man who'd trust an ally who spotlights himself in unorthodox ways. Renard wouldn't have patience for that. After a while he'd have to see that Nick is more trouble than he's worth.

(01-14-2018, 07:29 AM)Robyn Wrote: Nick either couldn’t see through Renard’s ‘talk’ and know he was being manipulated & used just as Adalind had, or, he understood that aligning with Renard ensured him a captain who would cover up Grimm duties compromising police procedures. If it’s the latter, the Nick/Renard alliance was a win-win.

Naturally Nick would opt for a captain who'd cover up his antics. But that isn't of any benefit to Renard, except maybe on a one time basis. The way I understand Renard's character, he wants the most out of people who he favors. I don't see that happening in the Nick/Renard relationship.
It’s just a difference in character interpretation. I see Renard as not only wanting a Grimm ally against the Royals, but for nonconforming Wesen to know that he has a Grimm in his department. Plus, as long as he's Nick's friend/ally, he's not Nick's enemy.

Nick might have been demonstrative compared to Kelly, but she didn’t have a home, relationship, and career that kept her in one place. Nick only fought Wesen crime in Portland. He never went to other cities because he got word of crimes/deaths indicating Wesen were involved. Plus, the show didn’t have Renard or his superiors getting complaints about a vigilante or corrupt cop infringing on suspects' rights or unjustified shootings. Renard said on one episode that he wouldn't protect a corrupt cop, but he didn't consider Nick corrupt, he considered Nick a Grimm doing what Grimm do.

As I said in the beginning of this discussion, Nick might not fit the definition of an ethical police officer in the real world, but the show wasn’t about a police officer, ethical or corrupt. It was about a Grimm who was a detective circumventing police procedures when deemed necessary. The closest the show came to Nick being a cop on the show was the ‘cowboy cop’ you noted in an earlier post.

RE: Do wesen encounters turn deadly because of Nick's presence? - jsgrimm45 - 02-04-2018

In some case maybe one the ones who now knew that the how of the kill they had done was known. When a wesen killed as a wesen the other police officers most of the time thought animal kill.

Taken season five when Nick warns the US Marshals they don't believe him, because no one knew how the kill had been done.

The killer if he had seen Nick first would have attacked because he now knew that he was found out. When a wesen woged who wasn't part of the investation Nick could talk them down.

RE: Do wesen encounters turn deadly because of Nick's presence? - brandon - 02-07-2018

the guy had an innocent face.Nick had to say that he suspected that he had an accomplice, someone nearby who was getting rid of the weapon-season 5 "Clear and Wesen danger"-,which in this case could have been blamed on the woman who was shot from the building.Clearly her alibi is that she was diverting the money.

RE: Do wesen encounters turn deadly because of Nick's presence? - FaceInTheCrowd - 02-07-2018

(01-14-2018, 09:43 AM)Robyn Wrote: Renard said on one episode that he wouldn't protect a corrupt cop

But that turned out to be one of Renard's many lies, didn't it