Grimm Forum
Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm (/Thread-Who-is-the-worst-most-corrupt-cop-on-Grimm)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-20-2018

You could also argue that the kinoshimobe was doing what grimms have often done throughout history, taking it upon itself to act as judge, jury and executioner. At least in this particular case, Nick and Hank were the officially appointed LEOs and finding and stopping the unidentified killer was what they were actually supposed to be doing.

As for Renard's question to Nick, Nick had a definite good guy complex. He probably would have agonized over unintentionally killing just about anything.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - irukandji - 01-20-2018

(01-20-2018, 05:19 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: You could also argue that the kinoshimobe was doing what grimms have often done throughout history, taking it upon itself to act as judge, jury and executioner. At least in this particular case, Nick and Hank were the officially appointed LEOs and finding and stopping the unidentified killer was what they were actually supposed to be doing.

Technically speaking, Nick and company shouldn't be near the forest at all. This was the disappearance of a suspected poacher. Therefore, the game warden would be called in.

Your second point about the kinoshimobe acting as the floral and fauna grimm of the forest is a very interesting one. Nick knew the tree killed simply because it was being attacked. What a strange contradiction in a man who'd let someone like the frog girl go free because she was being attacked and was protecting herself yet would kill a tree who was protecting itself.

(01-20-2018, 05:19 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: As for Renard's question to Nick, Nick had a definite good guy complex. He probably would have agonized over unintentionally killing just about anything.

I doubt it. While he seemed to be bothered by the fact he murdered the man in the bar, he didn't take too long to make up his mind about not turning himself in. After that, he didn't give it a second thought. I don't recall Nick agonizing over killing anyone after that. He's a disturbed individual.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-21-2018

Oregon fish and game wardens don't investigate "person crimes." If wardens were the first on the scene and the forest was within a municipal border, they'd call in the city police, if the forest was outside the borders of a city or town in unincorporated county land it would be the county sheriff's office and if it was in a state park or other state facility, the state police.

If the sheriff's deputies got there and decided that they needed local police help with a situation, they could put in an inter-agency call. That is what happened in this case, according to the call Nick got from Wu, but the reason given for why they called in PPB sounded weird to me, because MCSO certainly has the resources to handle a suspected DUI, a missing person report or a homicide. Maybe they were just swamped that day.

Nick always struck me as being very susceptible to suggestion. If Monroe and Rosalee thought he should do something, he usually did it. If Hank, Juliette and Renard piled on with the same opinion, they'd have him thinking exactly the way they thought he should by the end of the episode. Offhand, I can't think of a single instance in which the scoobies thought he should do something and he ended up not doing it.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - dicappatore - 01-21-2018

(01-21-2018, 01:00 AM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: Oregon fish and game wardens don't investigate "person crimes." If wardens were the first on the scene and the forest was within a municipal border, they'd call in the city police, if the forest was outside the borders of a city or town in unincorporated county land it would be the county sheriff's office and if it was in a state park or other state facility, the state police.

If the sheriff's deputies got there and decided that they needed local police help with a situation, they could put in an inter-agency call. That is what happened in this case, according to the call Nick got from Wu, but the reason given for why they called in PPB sounded weird to me, because MCSO certainly has the resources to handle a suspected DUI, a missing person report or a homicide. Maybe they were just swamped that day.

Nick always struck me as being very susceptible to suggestion. If Monroe and Rosalee thought he should do something, he usually did it. If Hank, Juliette and Renard piled on with the same opinion, they'd have him thinking exactly the way they thought he should by the end of the episode. Offhand, I can't think of a single instance in which the scoobies thought he should do something and he ended up not doing it.

Face, not just in Oregon but also in many other states, the game wardens do not enforce crimes related to people. They enforce laws that effect the wild game and the environment. I grew up in NY State and was an avid hunter. Hunting laws in NYS are enforced by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation Agency. They enforce laws pertaining to game harvesting, such as licensing for hunting & Fishing and environmental resources abuse.

If there was an accidental shooting of a hunter, as it occurs, more often that it should, those incidents would be referred to either local police, state police and I think, NY also has Forest Police Agency, since half the state is still a wilderness area. One of the finer meanings of the word “Police”.

As for Inter-Agency co-operations in investigating crimes, I can recall at least two episodes where an outside LE agency asked PPD/Nick and Hank to assist. The scrap yard guys burying flat tire victims alive and the glowing Wesen couple having a baby. I might be wrong on that. I also recall the seven crucifixion episodes to stop the drought.

Trying to make Nick & Co. a nature murderer is a bit far-fetched. Like you said on a previous post. How can anyone criticize the gang and not be appalled of that tree creature doing the same thing that the gang is being accused of?

Nick and Hank apparently had developed a reputation for solving "unusual" crimes, which led to some inter-agency requests for their assistance. That didn't seem to be the case in this episode.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Robyn - 01-21-2018

(01-20-2018, 04:20 PM)irukandji Wrote: This is an interesting thought. Renard stating that to Nick seems to confirm that grimms consider themselves higher on the evolutionary scale than wesen.
I think that’s always been an integral part of the show’s theme. Grimm are superior and traditionally accepted as judge, jury, and executioner.

The show didn’t devote time to examining opposing views of Nick’s actions/motivation and that of the Wesen he pursued. The ‘good guys’ didn’t question if they had a right to take Adalind’s baby because a Grimm said it had to be done. Nick didn’t pause for a second to consider he was about to arrest a man for killing his son’s murderer despite having killed his mother’s murderer a few months earlier, nor did Hank question his own complicity. But then, the two human police officers were immediately onboard with committing murder for Nick and using their connections to cover it up. Yes, the tree was the Grimm of the forest. But the predetermined narrative gave priority to Nick as judge, jury, and executioner and excluded the ‘good guys’ opposing Grimm authority.

G & K created a fairytale story about a Grimm who was tasked with protecting the innocent from unknown, unseen, unimaginable horrors. Any moral ambiguity in the characters was a side effect of action driven drama. G & K chose to keep exploration of moral conflict superficial, but didn’t intentionally create a cast of morally corrupt characters passing themselves off as good guys/heroes.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - irukandji - 01-21-2018

(01-21-2018, 01:00 AM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: Oregon fish and game wardens don't investigate "person crimes." If wardens were the first on the scene and the forest was within a municipal border, they'd call in the city police, if the forest was outside the borders of a city or town in unincorporated county land it would be the county sheriff's office and if it was in a state park or other state facility, the state police.

This didn't appear to me to be a park within Portland city limits. If anything it looked more like a state park or wildlife refuge that took a fair amount of distance to get to. I also assumed the hunters had previously hunted there, either legally or illegally as they seemed familiar with the park.

In our state, game wardens are also state troopers. They are allowed to write citiations, arrest people, conduct criminal investigations, along with conservation duties. I simply assumed Oregon would have similar job duties for their game wardens as well. Next time I will make that part of my question.

In any case, I thought it strange that Nick and Hank would be the ones called out to investigate a crime that was out of their jurisdiction. Wu even referred to it as a wild area. That doesn't seem to suggest a city park within the confines of Portland.

Oregon Fish and Game Wardens are also OSP. But their everyday duties are specialized, so they hand off non-forestry related thngs to others because there aren't that many of them in one place at the same time.

Wu told Nick it mas mile 68 of Highway 30. That's in NW Portland near the St. Johns Bridge, where 30 runs along the eastern edge of Forest Park. Forest Park is a 5000+ acre (about 1 mile wide x 8 miles long) urban forest reserve, and yes there are deer in it

IF MCSO was the first responder to someone calling in a crash report there, the hunter probably crashed his truck on 30, which is a US Highway and patrolled by both MCSO and OSP. Wu said MCSO called PPB because they suspected DUI, which would probably mean that the hunter wandered off 30 into Forest Park. But uniformed officers should've been the ones interviewing the hunter and detectives wouldn't have been called in until they found the rifles at the scene and heard the hunter's claim that his buddy had been killed. Nick and Hank got called in directly because it was S06 and the budget didn't have the money to hire a couple more people to play uniforms.

BTW, just about all of Grimm's "wilderness" scenes were shot in Forest Park. The Grimm production office and standing set studio was less than a mile from the southern end of the park.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - irukandji - 01-21-2018

(01-21-2018, 11:23 AM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: Oregon Fish and Game Wardens are also OSP. But their everyday duties are specialized, so they hand off non-forestry related thngs to others because there aren't that many of them in one place at the same time.

Wu told Nick it mas mile 68 of Highway 30. That's in NW Portland near the St. Johns Bridge, where 30 runs along the eastern edge of Forest Park. Forest Park is a 5000+ acre (about 1 mile wide x 8 miles long) urban forest reserve, and yes there are deer in it

IF MCSO was the first responder to someone calling in a crash report there, the hunter probably crashed his truck on 30, which is a US Highway and patrolled by both MCSO and OSP. Wu said MCSO called PPB because they suspected DUI, which would probably mean that the hunter wandered off 30 into Forest Park. But uniformed officers should've been the ones interviewing the hunter and detectives wouldn't have been called in until they found the rifles at the scene and heard the hunter's claim that his buddy had been killed. Nick and Hank got called in directly because it was S06 and the budget didn't have the money to hire a couple more people to play uniforms.

BTW, just about all of Grimm's "wilderness" scenes were shot in Forest Park. The Grimm production office and standing set studio was less than a mile from the southern end of the park.

I only wondered why a game warden wasn't called in. Now I know.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - eric - 01-21-2018

Since Grimm is a fantasy, I don't think anyone involved knew about or cared about real police procedure and jurisdiction. I usually assume Nick and company are called because this is a show called Grimm, not Real Police Cases of Portland.