Grimm Forum
Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm (/Thread-Who-is-the-worst-most-corrupt-cop-on-Grimm)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - irukandji - 01-11-2018

(01-11-2018, 09:26 AM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: He appears to be saying that either all or a large portion of Portland's wesen cops were. We don't really know what percentage of wesen PPB officers joined BC. We only know that we never saw any who didn't.

Is he talking about the cops who appeared in the north precinct with Bonaparte?

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-11-2018

The North Precinct cops and/or the ones who attacked the fome, presumably.

The kidnapping married folks is probably a reference to the wesenrein, but only one of those was a cop.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - eric - 01-11-2018

(01-11-2018, 08:47 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 08:33 AM)eric Wrote:
(01-10-2018, 08:26 PM)irukandji Wrote:
(01-10-2018, 06:43 PM)Robyn Wrote: And that was one of my earlier points, Nick may not be what a police officer should be in real life, but the show wasn’t about law enforcement investigating crime, it was about a Grimm investigating Wesen crime. So the central character wouldn’t ever live up to the expectations of real life law enforcement. He would, however, live up to the fictional expectations of a fictional Grimm.

And that is what makes him corrupt, even by the parameters of the series, Robyn. We know there were many other cops, and some of them were wesen. However, they followed orders and stuck to the parameters of law enforcement. We know that because wesen were not only brought in alive, but were serving time. We know the appropriate documentation was on file. It was only when Nick started in as a grimm that his reports were being fudged and suspects ended up dead.
They were not following orders and parameters when they set fires to cover murders, joined hate groups to kill lawfully married people, or took Nick to the NPP hoping to tear him apart. Unless they did a public woge, other wessen probably would know what they were.

All of the Portland PD set fires to cover murders and all of the Portland PD joined hate grous to kill lawfully married people, is that what you are saying?
No. I read the comment as referring to wessen police, not all police. The fire marshal, the policeman who was in the wesserine, all the police we saw in the NPP. I don't remember any other wessen police mentioned in the show.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - irukandji - 01-11-2018

(01-11-2018, 11:22 AM)eric Wrote: No. I read the comment as referring to wessen police, not all police. The fire marshal, the policeman who was in the wesserine, all the police we saw in the NPP. I don't remember any other wessen police mentioned in the show.

I will agree with you that the wesen police we saw at the NPP were corrupt. However, I will also add a question to this. Not all of the police at the NPP attacked Nick but were there (I assume) as a front to back Bonaparte up.

Earlier I mentioned an episode where Nick went to a wesen's house armed with a bow and arrow in an attempt to torture the wesen into talking. He never accomplished that because Hank stopped him and subsequently, both he and Hank discovered the wesen had already been murdered.

My opinion was that this one incident showed Nick as corrupt. However, there were counter arguments that Nick was not corrupt as he did not torture the wesen. In the case of the NPP and Bonaparte, I remember the cops there woging at Nick, but I only recall Bonaparte actually torturing him.

In the first instance, does Nick's intent to torture the wesen make him corrupt? In the second instance, are the cops corrupt if they're present at the torture, but do not actually participate?

This is a hopelessly circular argument, because the people you are arguing with are applying a narrow definition of "corrupt" that requires a person's motivation to be personal self-interest. Using that definition, they will never consider Nick "corrupt" unless you can provide instances in which Nick solicited or accepted bribes, extorted money, stole property, sold drugs or committed some other violation of law to advance his career or otherwise improve his own personal status.

As long as Nick's actions were motivated only by his intent to save lives or uncover truth about a case, you would do better to address the question of whether Nick's behavior makes him a "cowboy cop" or a "loose cannon," and on that basis you can argue that he should have been tossed off the force even if what he did was only a violation of procedure and not necessarily a crime. The real world provides many instances of cops who use excessive force or appear to participate in manufacturing evidence of guilt or concealing exculpatory evidence yet never suffer any consequences beyond reprimand or firing.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - eric - 01-11-2018

I agree that we do not know how many wessen were on the Portland police force. My guess is that the NPP was not 100% wessen - the flood of 911 calls got the non-wessen, non-BC police out of the way. I do know that all the wessen cops on the show were arsonists, members of a hate group or BC. Its a shame a body count of those killed was not provided. My guess is that some wessen policemen in Portland were not engaged in these activities, but none were ever mentioned. Once the word about THE GRIMM on the force got out, and that he appeared to be a "different" Grimm, I would expect the good wessen cops would search him out, form an opinion about Nick, being careful not to woge too soon.Big Grin I can see them working with Nick to weed out bad wessen.

We don't even know if all the BC cops at the North Precinct that night were from that precinct. Since the phoney 911 calls pretty much cleared out all the precincts, it's possible that the BC cops came from all the city's precincts. Also, Monroe had previously said that wesen aren't terribly social even with each other, so it's possible that there were wesen cops who had ignored the occultatum libra pamphlets from the first, had never been identified by BC for recruitment and were out on the street responding to those 911 calls having no idea what was going on.

Also, can't discount the possibility that the attackers at the fome weren't actually cops at all but were just wearing the uniforms. When they discovered later that a scientist was using parts from missing people that were probably among those the scooboes dumped, none of those parts were identified as being from missing PPB cops.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - Robyn - 01-13-2018

(01-10-2018, 08:26 PM)irukandji Wrote:
(01-10-2018, 06:43 PM)Robyn Wrote: And that was one of my earlier points, Nick may not be what a police officer should be in real life, but the show wasn’t about law enforcement investigating crime, it was about a Grimm investigating Wesen crime. So the central character wouldn’t ever live up to the expectations of real life law enforcement. He would, however, live up to the fictional expectations of a fictional Grimm.

And that is what makes him corrupt, even by the parameters of the series, Robyn. We know there were many other cops, and some of them were wesen. However, they followed orders and stuck to the parameters of law enforcement. We know that because wesen were not only brought in alive, but were serving time. We know the appropriate documentation was on file. It was only when Nick started in as a grimm that his reports were being fudged and suspects ended up dead.

True, but the show wasn’t about other cops unknowingly confronting and arresting Wesen. If we look at some of the bizarre crimes Nick dealt with - bizarre by human law enforcement standards - human officers would have had some rather bizarre unexplainable entries in their reports and there would have been a higher number of officers killed while confronting suspects who were never caught.

Considering that many Wesen were successfully arrested and convicted by human cops, it’s reasonable to assume Nick and Hank made some of those arrests before Nick became a Grimm. How did they and the other cops deal with the bizarre details when writing up their reports? Did Renard accept those reports as written or tell the arresting officers to remove entries that might make the DA & jury question their sanity? The show didn’t worry with explaining real life quandaries that might come up because it’s central character was a Grimm detective arresting or killing Wesen.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-13-2018

A lot of killings by wesen probably were reported as animal related and not crimes. Portland has a lot of wilderness both around and in the city, and we have frequent sightings of coyotes, some cougars and even a bear once in a great while. Non-lethal wesen attacks or sightings probably get explained away as victims hallucinating out of panic or overdoing recreational intoxicants or just don't get into reports at all because they're viewed that way.

The biggest single risk of widespread wesen public exposure is probably YouTube.

RE: Who is the worst most corrupt cop on Grimm - eric - 01-13-2018

Three other wessen in the police field--Hook the warden, the parole officer running the fighting ring, the female guard in The Imp in the Bottle. So far we have only one LEO wessen who wasn't tainted/corrupt. Maybe there WAS a need for a Grimm in Portland!!