Grimm Forum
When did Adalind Redeem herself? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: When did Adalind Redeem herself? (/Thread-When-did-Adalind-Redeem-herself)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

When did Adalind Redeem herself? - wesen - 12-27-2017

At what point in the series did Adalind redeem herself to Nick and his friends? I know she started on the path to redemption after she gave birth to her daughter and wanted to become a good mother to her. But Nick and his friends didn't share the same viewpoint. I would guess that she redeemed herself to them when she was given a choice to be part of a power couple with Renard and become a member of the Black Claw movement, which would have been a safer and easier option for her and for her children, but instead she chose to protect Nick and his friends. She only disclosed his whereabouts when she was being choked to death and even then, she utilised Diana's powers in order to warn Nick and the others that they were going to get attacked at the loft.

RE: When did Adalind Redeem herself? - dicappatore - 12-27-2017

(12-27-2017, 10:40 PM)wesen Wrote: At what point in the series did Adalind redeem herself to Nick and his friends? I know she started on the path to redemption after she gave birth to her daughter and wanted to become a good mother to her. But Nick and his friends didn't share the same viewpoint. I would guess that she redeemed herself to them when she was given a choice to be part of a power couple with Renard and become a member of the Black Claw movement, which would have been a safer and easier option for her and for her children, but instead she chose to protect Nick and his friends. She only disclosed his whereabouts when she was being choked to death and even then, she utilised Diana's powers in order to warn Nick and the others that they were going to get attacked at the loft.

Her redemption was a process over time not in just one instance of time. To me her redemption continued with the birth of Kelly, then her heart felt concession to end her fighting with Nick. Having no place to go, except to be taken in by Nick, did not give her many options. To follow a different path was easy, for her to see, you attract more flies with sugar than vinegar. another motivation of that process. Once the love interest flourished, she was all in.

Even with the allure to be a wife of a city mayor with a powerful position within BC, a Wesen movement, could not take her back to the old Adalind. With all that temptation for a woman that was always, in the past, searching for power is more proof of her love for her kids and Nick. For anyone judging her as not being sincere and willing to give up that opportunity is just looking at her transformation with blinders on.

RE: When did Adalind Redeem herself? - izzy - 12-28-2017

There is an assumption she was ever actually considered redeemed in their eyes. Maybe, just maybe in Nick's eyes, but then again there are may couples where one partner has an affair and the marriage soldiers on, only there will never be what ever once was.

Adalind may have changed for the better, but that is not enough to atone for her past. She is different now or at least gives the appearance of so being, but that is the issue. She is a manipulator and you will never know the real Adalind.

I can see the gang, accepting her, liking her, defending her, but that does not equate to redemption as much as tolerance and a level of understanding and encouragement. The same holds true of Renard and Juliette.

The only characters that are redeemed are Monroe and Rosalee, and that is simply because we never got to witness their previous transgressions, so they started with a clean slate with the viewership. The truth of human nature is, we do not forgive and forget. Heck the majority of the borders of westward expansion of the Untied States had as an impetus the idea that it was easier to gain acceptance in a new land where you were unknown and able to start with a clean slate then attempt to exist in any arena where you opportunity was predicated upon others measure of your redemption.

RE: When did Adalind Redeem herself? - rpmaluki - 12-28-2017

Yeah, I think Adalind choosing Nick over the posh life with Renard under BC is good example of a redeemed Adalind because she did it without expecting anything in return. She also protected Rosalee from Tony at the spice shop. Diana's birth facilitated a character change within her, exchanging the suppressant for protection is a trade and Nick’s continued protection of Adalind was an extension of what he did for Kelly and the gang followed suit and Adalind was grateful to them all and told them so the night they had dinner at the loft.

I don't think there's one particular thing that Adalind did specifically that made her redeemed, it's a series of things that happened over the course of the show starting with Diana's birth that changed her character. The better question should be when did the gang stop seeing Adalind as a bad guy. I say that was when she took the suppressant herself. That wasn't part of the deal she'd made with Nick, nobody made her but she temporarily sacrificed her hexenbiest to prove she was being genuine and that made an impact on all of them particularly Nick and Rosalee.

RE: When did Adalind Redeem herself? - Henry of green - 12-28-2017

(12-28-2017, 01:34 AM)izzy Wrote: There is an assumption she was ever actually considered redeemed in their eyes. Maybe, just maybe in Nick's eyes, but then again there are may couples where one partner has an affair and the marriage soldiers on, only there will never be what ever once was.

Adalind may have changed for the better, but that is not enough to atone for her past. She is different now or at least gives the appearance of so being, but that is the issue. She is a manipulator and you will never know the real Adalind.

I can see the gang, accepting her, liking her, defending her, but that does not equate to redemption as much as tolerance and a level of understanding and encouragement. The same holds true of Renard and Juliette.

The only characters that are redeemed are Monroe and Rosalee, and that is simply because we never got to witness their previous transgressions, so they started with a clean slate with the viewership. The truth of human nature is, we do not forgive and forget. Heck the majority of the borders of westward expansion of the Untied States had as an impetus the idea that it was easier to gain acceptance in a new land where you were unknown and able to start with a clean slate then attempt to exist in any arena where you opportunity was predicated upon others measure of your redemption.

Says you, there is nothing in the past 2 seasons of the show indicating Adalind was minipulating anyone and somehow Monroe, a guy who has murderd countless people is redeemable but Adalind who has murded just 2 in self defence is not redeemable that’s a bit of a strange logic you have. As for an affair Adalind had countless opportunities to cheat on Nick with Renard but instead rejected him multiple times. Monroe even admitted to hunting the real thing meaning humans to the wesen boys camp in 4x19. He also couldn’t control himself in the pilot and couldn’t go into the cabin in case he went after the child.

As for Adalind being a miniplutor, Adalind has never once during the show Minipulated anyone she cares deeply about she never minipulated Renard once is season 1 beacuse she cared/ loved him and only turned against and minipulated him in later seasons beacuse he threw her away like trash in 1x17 and she no longer cared for him as much. You can think she in minipulating Nick if you wish but unfortunately it doesn’t match what we were shown on the show. 20 years is a pretty long con if you ask me.

The actress playing Rosalee seems to fully suggest Rosalee sees Adalind as redemmed and changed. Below interview with Bree tuner and Claire Coffee.

TVLINE | It seems like Adalind getting her powers back surprises her, even though she knew it was a possibility.
COFFEE | It was always a possibility, and the way the writers bring them back is so instinctive — and then it saves Rosalee’s life, so they have this shared secret together, which is really good, but then it also complicates things for another six episodes because now I have a secret that I’m keeping from Nick. Getting her powers back completely jeopardizes their relationship, and then they’re co-parenting with Kelly, so it’s a much more global situation for her life than it was ever before.

TURNER | Rosalee always has known that it was just a suppressant that they gave Adalind. It wasn’t like they took her powers away forever. So it always has been a little bit of a ticking time bomb. But at this point, Rosalee really cares about Adalind. She’s more than proven herself that she’s a changed woman, and Rosalee is also a reformed person so she has more tolerance and compassion when it comes to people being able to have second chances.

According to the actress she has more than proved herself a changed women to Rosalee.

As for Juliette/Eve she is also clearly redeemed in the eyes of the scobbies and Nick by the shows end they abd like with Adalind they have never forgotten what she’s done in the past but they have forgiven her as they did Adalind. Juliette/Eve also just like Adalind has proven herself loyal to the gang and saved thier lives on multiple occasions.

Renard is infact the only main character I think hasn’t redeemed himself fully by the shows end and his actions in my opinion on the show are even worse than Juliette’s or Adalinds.

http://tvline.com/2016/03/11/grimm-season-5-spoilers-adalind-powers-return-hexenbiest-nick-secret-rosalee/

I remembered seeing this interview a while back and just thought it was interesting.

RE: When did Adalind Redeem herself? - irukandji - 12-28-2017

(12-27-2017, 10:40 PM)wesen Wrote: At what point in the series did Adalind redeem herself to Nick and his friends? I know she started on the path to redemption after she gave birth to her daughter and wanted to become a good mother to her. But Nick and his friends didn't share the same viewpoint. I would guess that she redeemed herself to them when she was given a choice to be part of a power couple with Renard and become a member of the Black Claw movement, which would have been a safer and easier option for her and for her children, but instead she chose to protect Nick and his friends. She only disclosed his whereabouts when she was being choked to death and even then, she utilised Diana's powers in order to warn Nick and the others that they were going to get attacked at the loft.

Because Adalind was determined to be a good mother, that is often debated as the turning point and equated to be her path to redemption. In my opinion, being a good mother does not automatically raise her to the status of good person. I know some good mothers who were not redeemed as the result of their motherhood. They're just good mothers.

The scoobies are simply a shade of gray in the black world of Grimm. I don't see any of them as redeemed or seeking redemption. I'm going to get flack for this but the only way I would a redemption for Adalind is if she left the comforts of the fome, departed from the gang with her children, and vowed to live to be a good example to her children as well as to others.

RE: When did Adalind Redeem herself? - Henry of green - 12-28-2017

How exactly would that make her a good person ethier, that would please you but it wouldn’t make her a good person because you want her to leave Nick for your own agenda. A good person means being kind to people which Adalind has been the past two seasons, it means helping people out like she did when Tony attacked Rosalee, it means putting others first which Adalind has done in the past 2 seasons. It means apologizing for the wrongs you have done which Adalind has done. How exactly would leaving Nick make life any better for the kids she’s a hexenbiest so her life is as dangerous as Nicks anyway she has a magical child and a half Grimm child there is no way they can just run away and have a normal life. To G&k grimms are the hero’s of the story you may not like it but tough wat did you expect the show is called Grimm. To G&k she is redeemed as she is to most of the audience. Don’t pretend you want Adalind redeemed sure you have stated many times you would rather she was a villain and that’s fine but how exactly would that make her a good woman.

Henry, look at the name of the topic. This is pure speculation. Get over the issue that people aren't going to agree with you.

RE: When did Adalind Redeem herself? - Hell Rell - 12-28-2017

(12-28-2017, 05:15 AM)irukandji Wrote:

Because Adalind was determined to be a good mother, that is often debated as the turning point and equated to be her path to redemption. In my opinion, being a good mother does not automatically raise her to the status of good person. I know some good mothers who were not redeemed as the result of their motherhood. They're just good mothers.

The scoobies are simply a shade of gray in the black world of Grimm. I don't see any of them as redeemed or seeking redemption. I'm going to get flack for this but the only way I would a redemption for Adalind is if she left the comforts of the fome, departed from the gang with her children, and vowed to live to be a good example to her children as well as to others.

Adalind being a good mother is what set her on the path to redemption in the show. This is one instance where that is exactly what happened. It was a gradual process and it didn't just happen overnight. She probably still had some of the old Adalind in her in season 4 but she hadn't even been hinted at doing anything bad, let alone terrible, since she went to Nick for protection. Adalind wasn't there out of the goodness of her heart but it doesn't change the fact that Adalind never even came close to being the old Adalind in the final 40 episodes. Being a good mother wasn't the only change in Adalind but it did help to spur these other changes. That's why Nick and Rosalee constantly defend her. The only instance where they had some doubt was Adalind not telling Nick when her Hexenbiest returned but their doubts were erased when she confessed to Nick and they haven't had any since the confession. I think that's when she was fully redeemed in their eyes.

Adalind departing from the gang doesn't get her anywhere closer to redemption if that's how you feel. That wouldn't make her a good person. She would just be taking Kelly away from his father and Diana away from a potential surrogate family along with her father. They would still be in danger. They're not normal and never will be so trouble will always find them and I'm not certain Adalind and the kids can turn their backs when they see wesen causing trouble for other people. She can make that same vow with the gang. Adalind knows she's a former baddie so being around other people, such as Monroe and Rosalee, who are now doing good in the world can be more beneficial to the kids than moving away from them. They may not be good in your eyes but that's how they're presented on the show.

For comparison, I watch Kevin Probably Saves the World. He used to be a selfish asshole but a recent tragic event and something miraculous happening to him has made him turn his life around and he has helped his teenage niece greatly. There was an episode where his sister threw him out of the house because she thought he was a bad influence on her daughter, she had good reasons to be fair, but realized that her daughter's life has improved since he came to live with them by the end of the episode.

(12-28-2017, 05:37 AM)irukandji Wrote: Henry, look at the name of the topic. This is pure speculation. Get over the issue that people aren't going to agree with you.

Your answer is fine when looking at the topic but the real question is in @wesen's first line:

(12-27-2017, 10:40 PM)wesen Wrote: At what point in the series did Adalind redeem herself to Nick and his friends?

(12-28-2017, 10:04 AM)Hell Rell Wrote: Adalind being a good mother is what set her on the path to redemption in the show.

You know, this is a constant among the males on the forum. But it's a complete misconception because being a good mother has no bearing whatsoever with regard to Adalind setting her feet upon the path to redemption. What's not taken into consideration is Adalind proved herself to be a good mother with Diana. She was given glowing reviews on the forum for keeping her baby despite the despicable things she did before she gave birth.

But look at her afterwards. Her actions were not those of a redeemed woman, but a vengeful woman.

(12-28-2017, 10:04 AM)Hell Rell Wrote: Adalind departing from the gang doesn't get her anywhere closer to redemption if that's how you feel. That wouldn't make her a good person. She would just be taking Kelly away from his father and Diana away from a potential surrogate family along with her father.

All I said is that I thought she needed to leave the comforts of the fome and depart from the gang with her children. That doesn't mean she has to take off for the Himalayas never to be heard from again. It certainly doesn't mean Nick doesn't get to see his son ever again either. I think much of redemption would come with Adalind being away from the gang and on her own, making her own decisions and weighing the consequences. Being in the comfort of the fome surrounded by the scoobies just doesn't seem like a definitive statement that Adalind's on the road to redemption.