Grimm Forum
Donkey Cabbages- A Grimm Fairytale - Nick & Adalind - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Donkey Cabbages- A Grimm Fairytale - Nick & Adalind (/Thread-Donkey-Cabbages-A-Grimm-Fairytale-Nick-Adalind)

Pages: 1 2

Donkey Cabbages- A Grimm Fairytale - Nick & Adalind - Devegs - 11-11-2017

In the Brothers Grimm tale called Donkey Cabbages the huntsman was deceived, robbed of his treasures and left to die by the witch and her daughter. The witch came up with the plans but her daughter executed them.

After the witch's daughter had tricked the huntsman and abandoned him to a terrible fate on the mountain, the hunter found his way back and exacted revenge on them. The witch dies and the witch's daughter asks the hunter for forgiveness stating that she loved him.

The tale ends "...I will take you for my true wife. So the wedding was celebrated, and they lived happily together until their death."

Was Nick and Adalind's story loosely drawn from this story? Would the Brothers Grimm have disapproved of Nick and Adalind living happily ever after?

RE: Donkey Cabbages- A Grimm Fairytale - Nick & Adalind - rpmaluki - 11-11-2017

Adalind, much like the witch's daughter, showed a change of heart. It does sound similar to Nick and Adalind's story. If the writers chosing to keep Adalind on the show was inspired by the story, I'd say the writers planned for her and Nick to end up together. I Google the donkey cabbages and the part where the witch commands her daughter to deceive the huntsman sounds like Catherine and Adalind, the part where the daughter steals the bird's heart and cloak, is similar to Adalind taking Nick's powers through deception. It only diverges where the huntsman/Nick end up with the witch/Adalind.

I never believed the writers planned for them from the moment they decided to keep Claire Coffee on. I know her falling pregnant in real presented on opportunity they couldn't pass but this fairytale does make a compelling argument that Nick and Adalind were in the back of their minds since S1,it was just a question of putting the pieces into place. They couldn't be together after just one season. Their story had to span three whole seasons first before they could find themselves in a place where they could be in a room without killing one another.

Now that I think about, Nick going after her at the BC house and Adalind apologising for taking Kelly is almost similar to the ending of the donkey cabbages fairytale where those two are finally together. It's weird but worth a consideration because of the premise of the show. Even the gold coins made it onto the show, it can't be a coincidence.

RE: Donkey Cabbages- A Grimm Fairytale - Nick & Adalind - irukandji - 11-11-2017

What would be the symbolism of the cabbages, the giants, and the donkeys in relation to Nick and Adalind?

(11-11-2017, 10:25 PM)irukandji Wrote: What would be the symbolism of the cabbages, the giants, and the donkeys in relation to Nick and Adalind?

She said loosely based, not direct adaptation.
There are some similarities not that the tales are identical.

Look at what they did with the Cinderella story, they twisted it and that was a more familiar tale that lasted one episode. Grimm wasn't about telling the Grimm tales exactly as they were written. They were more like inspiration to tell those stories by twisting the characters/the setting/overall narrative. Just like Juliette temporarily became a sleeping Beauty that was kissed by a prince so she could wake from her coma.

Not everything that was based on the fairytales was exactly as the fairytales.

RE: Donkey Cabbages- A Grimm Fairytale - Nick & Adalind - irukandji - 11-11-2017

(11-11-2017, 10:51 PM)rpmaluki Wrote: She said loosely based, not direct adaptation.

Look at what they did with the Cinderella story, they twisted it and that was a more familiar tale that lasted one episode. Grimm wasn't about telling the Grimm tales exactly as they were written. They were more like inspiration to tell those stories by twisting the characters/the setting/overall narrative. Just like Juliette temporarily became a sleeping Beauty that was kissed by a prince so she could wake from her coma.

Of course it's not a direct adaptation. I never said it was. However, the donkeys and the cabbages are important components to the story. That's why I asked.

(11-11-2017, 11:14 PM)irukandji Wrote: I didn't say they were identical but the cabbages and the donkeys are very important components of the story.

(11-11-2017, 10:51 PM)rpmaluki Wrote: She said loosely based, not direct adaptation.

Of course it's not a direct adaptation. I never said it was. However, the donkeys and the cabbages are important components to the story. That's why I asked.
The donkeys/cabbages has nothing to do with Nick/Adalind's story. That's clearly not where the comparison lies. The similarities lie elsewhere within the story, just as there aren't exactly similarities in the Cinderella/sleeping Beauty analogies but as viewers we got the writers' impression of the original fairytales.

I'm sure there's other fairytales hinted at on the show that aren't depicted anywhere as accurate as they were written, like Nick rescuing the girl in the first episode similarly to red riding hood and the animosity between blutbaden and bauerschwein and probably more that I can't think of at the moment.

I don't want to argue about this, but your own post states the old witch sounds much like Catherine. You also stated the part where the daughter steals the bird's heart and cloak is similar to Adalind removing Nick's powers through deception.

Why is it incorrect for me to question a possible symbolism involving donkeys and cabbages then?

ETA: According to the story, certain cabbages allow the characters to change into donkeys while others allow them to change back into human form. I'm not sure what the symbolism of the donkey would be. They are a beast of burden, subject to human will. On the other hand, they are also stubborn, not always subject to human will.

RE: Donkey Cabbages- A Grimm Fairytale - Nick & Adalind - brandon - 11-12-2017

The stories of Brothers GRIMM did not always have and end happy. Leave that for the children.

RE: Donkey Cabbages- A Grimm Fairytale - Nick & Adalind - Devegs - 11-12-2017

(11-11-2017, 10:25 PM)irukandji Wrote: What would be the symbolism of the cabbages, the giants, and the donkeys in relation to Nick and Adalind?

Linking these symbolically to Nick and Adalind would be overreaching like Rp already pointed out. I am interested though in what you think these meant symbolically in the original tale. Also while at it, why the heart of the bird to produce gold?

RE: Donkey Cabbages- A Grimm Fairytale - Nick & Adalind - rpmaluki - 11-12-2017

Other than a form of punishment, I don't see the point. The witch was fed once and beaten three times, the maidservant fed three times and beaten once and the daughter fed three times and never beaten but she was sad and repentant, wanting to return everything she'd stolen from the huntsman. He married her instead. It's a strange story.