Grimm Forum
Why Juliette as a character didn't click with the audience - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Why Juliette as a character didn't click with the audience (/Thread-Why-Juliette-as-a-character-didn-t-click-with-the-audience)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Why Juliette as a character didn't click with the audience - wesen - 09-17-2017

No offence to the actress Bitsie, I'm sure she's a lovely person, but I feel that besides the bad writing, it was also her portrayal that caused the audience to be 'meh' on her. I remember watching her from season 1, and thinking how bad her acting was, because she was so expressionless/emotionless. It was distracting and quite jarring to see her act so woodenly. Even when Adalind's character was toned down in season 5-6, I still found her more likeable than Juliette, maybe because her face and eyes still expressed so much more emotion.

RE: Why Juliette as a character didn't click with the audience - irukandji - 09-17-2017

(09-17-2017, 04:47 PM)wesen Wrote: No offence to the actress Bitsie, I'm sure she's a lovely person, but I feel that besides the bad writing, it was also her portrayal that caused the audience to be 'meh' on her. I remember watching her from season 1, and thinking how bad her acting was, because she was so expressionless/emotionless. It was distracting and quite jarring to see her act so woodenly. Even when Adalind's character was toned down in season 5-6, I still found her more likeable than Juliette, maybe because her face and eyes still expressed so much more emotion.

Can we really blame the character's faults on the actress?

RE: Why Juliette as a character didn't click with the audience - wesen - 09-17-2017

(09-17-2017, 04:51 PM)irukandji Wrote:
(09-17-2017, 04:47 PM)wesen Wrote: No offence to the actress Bitsie, I'm sure she's a lovely person, but I feel that besides the bad writing, it was also her portrayal that caused the audience to be 'meh' on her. I remember watching her from season 1, and thinking how bad her acting was, because she was so expressionless/emotionless. It was distracting and quite jarring to see her act so woodenly. Even when Adalind's character was toned down in season 5-6, I still found her more likeable than Juliette, maybe because her face and eyes still expressed so much more emotion.

Not all of it of course, but I think the actor/actress does contribute to the likeability of the character. Take for example Adalind, she was a cartoony villain at the beginning but I still found her interesting, even though I disliked her character. Then when she was toned down in season 5-6, I still liked her far more than I did Juliette. Despite her toned down state, she still came across as warm and affectionate, and I could believe that she really did fall in love with Nick and would remain loyal to him, even after 20 years. Renard also had many faults, but I felt Sasha's innate charisma and acting skills made me like him despite his role as a villain. Also Monroe, who was supposed to be side kick to Nick, I actually liked more than Nick himself. Maybe it wasn't supposed to happen, but at one point I actually preferred seeing more of Monroe's scenes than even Nick's. Hank and Wu also weren't as fully fleshed as some of the other characters, but I still enjoyed watching them on screen. I think Eve was actually better to watch than Juliette. At least it was understandable why she was always so expressionless and unemotional.

RE: Why Juliette as a character didn't click with the audience - irukandji - 09-17-2017

(09-17-2017, 05:01 PM)wesen Wrote:

Not all of it of course, but I think the actor/actress does contribute to the likeability of the character. Take for example Adalind, she was a cartoony villain at the beginning but I still found her interesting, even though I disliked her character. Then when she was toned down in season 5-6, I still liked her far more than I did Juliette. Despite her toned down state, she still came across as warm and affectionate, and I could believe that she really did fall in love with Nick and would remain loyal to him, even after 20 years. Renard also had many faults, but I felt Sasha's innate charisma and acting skills made me like him despite his role as a villain. Also Monroe, who was supposed to be side kick to Nick, I actually liked more than Nick himself. Maybe it wasn't supposed to happen, but at one point I actually preferred seeing more of Monroe's scenes than even Nick's. Hank and Wu also weren't as fully fleshed as some of the other characters, but I still enjoyed watching them on screen. I think Eve was actually better to watch than Juliette. At least it was understandable why she was always so expressionless and unemotional.

I would have to disagree. I see Nick's character as a corrupt cop who, deep down inside, has nothing but contempt for law enforcement. I get that from his character in Grimm. The fact that I see it on the screen is a testament to the man's acting ability, not that he's actually some kind of rebel in real life.

RE: Why Juliette as a character didn't click with the audience - wesen - 09-17-2017

(09-17-2017, 05:20 PM)irukandji Wrote:

I would have to disagree. I see Nick's character as a corrupt cop who, deep down inside, has nothing but contempt for law enforcement. I get that from his character in Grimm. The fact that I see it on the screen is a testament to the man's acting ability, not that he's actually some kind of rebel in real life.

Contempt for law enforcement? Really? That's definitely different from the Nick I saw in the show. Nick went against the rules of being a cop because the rules/law didn't address magic or wesen. Nick tried to follow the rules as a cop at the beginning, but in the end he knew it wasn't enough to bring justice or protect the innocent from being attacked/killed by wesen.

RE: Why Juliette as a character didn't click with the audience - eric - 09-17-2017

(09-17-2017, 05:30 PM)wesen Wrote:
(09-17-2017, 05:20 PM)irukandji Wrote:

Contempt for law enforcement? Really? That's definitely different from the Nick I saw in the show. Nick went against the rules of being a cop because the rules/law didn't address magic or wesen. Nick tried to follow the rules as a cop at the beginning, but in the end he knew it wasn't enough to bring justice or protect the innocent from being attacked/killed by wesen.
According to the regular rules, the chef could never be convicted of anything. The fungus would not affect anyone besides the blutbad. During the trial the chef would have eaten some fungus, humans who ate would have thought it was great. Not guilty. Once found not guilty, he could have set up a chain of upscale eateries with a lot of mushroom treats. If Nick had not forced him to sign a confession, Nick's only choices would have been to kill him or let Monroe do it. Some may think Nick was corrupt, but to let a killer run free would have been amoral, letting people die because of rules that applied in the human world and not in his new real world. THAT would have been corrupt.

RE: Why Juliette as a character didn't click with the audience - FaceInTheCrowd - 09-17-2017

(09-17-2017, 05:55 PM)eric Wrote: According to the regular rules, the chef could never be convicted of anything. The fungus would not affect anyone besides the blutbad. During the trial the chef would have eaten some fungus, humans who ate would have thought it was great. Not guilty.

There wouldn't even have been arrest and trial. An analysis of the mushrooms would have shown them to be harmless to humans. No charges. Then the blutbads would have taken things into their own hands and killed the chef and the entire restaurant staff, the bauerschweins would have retaliated by killing more blutbads, and there would have been an all-out war between them on the streets of Portland.

RE: Why Juliette as a character didn't click with the audience - brandon - 09-17-2017

Chef=Angelina.

(09-17-2017, 05:30 PM)wesen Wrote: Contempt for law enforcement? Really? That's definitely different from the Nick I saw in the show. Nick went against the rules of being a cop because the rules/law didn't address magic or wesen. Nick tried to follow the rules as a cop at the beginning, but in the end he knew it wasn't enough to bring justice or protect the innocent from being attacked/killed by wesen.

He murdered a prisoner in while the man was police custody in order to avenge his mother. I'd call that a good deal of contempt for law enforcement. That's my opinion.

RE: Why Juliette as a character didn't click with the audience - brandon - 09-17-2017

The arrest is false as custody too.