Grimm Forum
Can and if a Grimm lose his power then what? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Can and if a Grimm lose his power then what? (/Thread-Can-and-if-a-Grimm-lose-his-power-then-what)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Can and if a Grimm lose his power then what? - MarylikesGrimm - 05-09-2017

(05-09-2017, 09:36 AM)Devegs Wrote: For the non-human creatures though, what would be innate to them would have been whatever evolution to their species has conferred upon them, regardless of if they grow up among humans and learn human values. Darwin's theory would (should ?) have applied to their species as well. Meaning their instincts would never be the same as humans. They only adapt and conform to us, for peace and also since they have learned to.
I think we don't realize that we are typically assuming our own superiority over non-human creatures since we believe that they should conform to our values in order for us to consider them them good or just.

Devegs, do you own a cat? If so, did you adapt to the cat?

RE: Can and if a Grimm lose his power then what? - Adriano Neres Rodrigues - 05-09-2017

(05-09-2017, 09:36 AM)Devegs Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 09:03 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote: That is an interesting path for superman to solve Earth problems. But the problem is (and that is the point I want to get for debate) would humans accept it freely? Superman can force human kind to use those rules in a non-democratic way and this would make us see him as a villain or a bad guy. But for him, he would be doing the right thing since he has the power to do it.
I am trying to imagine how a writer could possible write this. This is very hard to write a story that is likeable. I think that is why we ended up having story arcs like the one you talked about (the one about Clark and the strong man). I mean superman is a semi god. The writers need to show him in some level as a human (at least in his feelings) so superman has some weakness and we can feel connected with the character in some level.

I think I see your point (or maybe I missed it). I have sometimes wondered about this. We often confer human-like values on non-human characters like Superman to judge their actions for what is good or bad. For the non-human creatures though, what would be innate to them would have been whatever evolution to their species has conferred upon them, regardless of if they grow up among humans and learn human values. Darwin's theory would (should ?) have applied to their species as well. Meaning their instincts would never be the same as humans. They only adapt and conform to us, for peace and also since they have learned to.
My point being that I also think it would be hard to make Superman likable to a lot of people if writer's have him change the rules on earth to create a very different (Krytoninan) style rule, if those rules are contrary to what we humans think are good or just. I think we don't realize that we are typically assuming our own superiority over non-human creatures since we believe that they should conform to our values in order for us to consider them them good or just.

I wasn’t thinking exactly that. But you ended up explaining what I was trying to saying better than I was thinking it myself.
Since superman is not human, why should we consider that he must follow human values?
But as this is a grimm forum, do you think we can make the same questions about the characters in the show? I mean the show is based on the fact that wesen and grimm are not exactly normal humans. This means that they probably had a different evolution process? Don’t you think?

(05-09-2017, 10:30 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 09:03 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote: That is an interesting path for superman to solve Earth problems. But the problem is (and that is the point I want to get for debate) would humans accept it freely? Superman can force human kind to use those rules in a non-democratic way and this would make us see him as a villain or a bad guy. But for him, he would be doing the right thing since he has the power to do it.
I am trying to imagine how a writer could possible write this. This is very hard to write a story that is likeable. I think that is why we ended up having story arcs like the one you talked about (the one about Clark and the strong man). I mean superman is a semi god. The writers need to show him in some level as a human (at least in his feelings) so superman has some weakness and we can feel connected with the character in some level.

I think I see your point (or maybe I missed it). I have sometimes wondered about this. We often confer human-like values on non-human characters like Superman to judge their actions for what is good or bad. For the non-human creatures though, what would be innate to them would have been whatever evolution to their species has conferred upon them, regardless of if they grow up among humans and learn human values. Darwin's theory would (should ?) have applied to their species as well. Meaning their instincts would never be the same as humans. They only adapt and conform to us, for peace and also since they have learned to.
My point being that I also think it would be hard to make Superman likable to a lot of people if writer's have him change the rules on earth to create a very different (Krytoninan) style rule, if those rules are contrary to what we humans think are good or just. I think we don't realize that we are typically assuming our own superiority over non-human creatures since we believe that they should conform to our values in order for us to consider them them good or just.

I wasn’t thinking exactly that. But you ended up explaining what I was trying to saying better than I was thinking it myself.
Since superman is not human, why should we consider that he must follow human values?
But as this is a grimm forum, do you think we can make the same questions about the characters in the show? I mean the show is based on the fact that wesen and grimm are not exactly normal humans. This means that they probably had a different evolution process? Don’t you think?

Is the Other Place where dead wesen go or long time in the past did wesen escape into our world and over time relatively speaking wesen calmed down?

RE: Can and if a Grimm lose his power then what? - rpmaluki - 05-09-2017

I think this was discussed to a large extent with the "Nick is a corrupt cop" debate. Nick has always tried to bring the wesen crooks to justice but there comes a time when that wasn't possible and he resorted to killing them for a myriad of reasons. I mentioned how the very human justice system/law was very exclusive to wesen/Grimms because there were simply certain elements about each culture that could not be accommodated or viewed from a kehrseite perspective which is where the show started and ended, even with the promise of a new "inclusive" world order in S5. The show focused a lot on the criminal elements of the wesen that Nick went after but what of the non criminal traditions that fell outside of the law but were an important and necessary practice that safeguarded the wesen community like the Gevatter Tod in 6x10?

RE: Can and if a Grimm lose his power then what? - Devegs - 05-09-2017

This I how I think of the characters in the show. There exists this other world within our world filled with non-human creatures. Wesen, we were informed, are not human but can look human. They have traits that are different from humans, and they act or react differently than humans. This is instinctual as part of their nature (or the evolution of their species). They have their own culture, rules, established order, code, etc. They conform to our societal/world standards and somewhat maintain the status quo, for peace and just because. Grimms could be seen as humans that somehow have evolved traits/abilities that make them able to bridge between both worlds. They are in an even more precarious situation. Not quite fully belonging to the wesen world, yet being a member of that world. I'm not quite sure of the writers' intent with grimms. Just my thoughts.

Nick often faces the the dilemma of being a grimm or a cop/normal human first. I think he chose to compromise. To be grimm when he has to and to be human when he needs to. Whenever he responds as a grimm (a part of himself) using grimm/wesen world logic to resolve wesen cases that filter into his grimm/human life... can we blame him? I don't.

(05-09-2017, 04:30 PM)Devegs Wrote: Nick often faces the the dilemma of being a grimm or a cop/normal human first. I think he chose to compromise. To be grimm when he has to and to be human when he needs to. Whenever he responds as a grimm (a part of himself) using grimm/wesen world logic to resolve wesen cases that filter into his grimm/human life... can we blame him? I don't.

IMO Nick is always on duty as a grimm first when he is not wearing sunglasses. Once the wesen knows he is a grimm they can react right away.

(05-09-2017, 04:34 PM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 04:30 PM)Devegs Wrote: Nick often faces the the dilemma of being a grimm or a cop/normal human first. I think he chose to compromise. To be grimm when he has to and to be human when he needs to. Whenever he responds as a grimm (a part of himself) using grimm/wesen world logic to resolve wesen cases that filter into his grimm/human life... can we blame him? I don't.

IMO Nick is always on duty as a grimm first when he is not wearing sunglasses. Once the wesen knows he is a grimm they can react right away.

We could then argue that he prefers it that way. Maybe he doesn't feel the need to hide any part of who he is.

(05-09-2017, 10:24 AM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 09:36 AM)Devegs Wrote: For the non-human creatures though, what would be innate to them would have been whatever evolution to their species has conferred upon them, regardless of if they grow up among humans and learn human values. Darwin's theory would (should ?) have applied to their species as well. Meaning their instincts would never be the same as humans. They only adapt and conform to us, for peace and also since they have learned to.
I think we don't realize that we are typically assuming our own superiority over non-human creatures since we believe that they should conform to our values in order for us to consider them them good or just.

Devegs, do you own a cat? If so, did you adapt to the cat?

LOL. No, I don't own any pets. I don't want or like the responsibility. But it's nice when people make accommodations for their pets.

(05-09-2017, 04:38 PM)Devegs Wrote: We could then argue that he prefers it that way. Maybe he doesn't feel the need to hide any part of who he is.
When Nick takes the kids to the amusement park by himself, do you think he is putting the kids at risk by not wearing sunglasses?

(05-09-2017, 05:37 PM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 04:38 PM)Devegs Wrote: We could then argue that he prefers it that way. Maybe he doesn't feel the need to hide any part of who he is.
When Nick takes the kids to the amusement park by himself, do you think he is putting the kids at risk by not wearing sunglasses?

I don't think so. I seem to remember that wesen don't see that Nick is a grimm unless they woge and then he too can see them. Also, by wesen code they shouldn't be woging and revealing themselves to humans. I know they show their hidden woge when agitated or excited. The wesen at the park are probably trying to get some quality time with their kids too. All they'll see is a human (Nick) playing with his kids. Same for Nick. He'll see other humans (or wesen in human state) with their kids. If any wesen is woging at the park, they would probably be showing the hidden woge. If they see Nick, he'll go the usual route of I'm not trying to kill you. If they go full woge then that wesen is rogue and up to no good. Even the other wesens at the park would be on Nick's side if he has to grimm up to restore order, I think.

RE: Can and if a Grimm lose his power then what? - jsgrimm45 - 05-10-2017

(05-09-2017, 05:55 PM)Devegs Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 05:37 PM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote:

I don't think so. I seem to remember that wesen don't see that Nick is a grimm unless they woge and then he too can see them. Also, by wesen code they shouldn't be woging and revealing themselves to humans. I know they show their hidden woge when agitated or excited. The wesen at the park are probably trying to get some quality time with their kids too. All they'll see is a human (Nick) playing with his kids. Same for Nick. He'll see other humans (or wesen in human state) with their kids. If any wesen is woging at the park, they would probably be showing the hidden woge. If they see Nick, he'll go the usual route of I'm not trying to kill you. If they go full woge then that wesen is rogue and up to no good. Even the other wesens at the park would be on Nick's side if he has to grimm up to restore order, I think.
That would have been an interesting episode. Couldn't you see a wesen woge and seeing Nick the Grimm, what would he tell his children?