Grimm Forum
The Treatment of Men in Grimm - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: The Treatment of Men in Grimm (/Thread-The-Treatment-of-Men-in-Grimm)

The Treatment of Men in Grimm - irukandji - 04-27-2017

Just curious as to what everyone thinks about the development of the male characters in Grimm. With the exception of Bud, and to a lesser extent, Wu, I haven't seen much change or growth in the males.

Just for starters, I'll begin with Monroe. I like Monroe and loved the depth his character provided to the series. But as the seasons progressed, to me it seemed that Monroe was really Nick's faithful watchdog, going on dangerous missions with Nick and forgetting all that he was striving to be, which was a better wesen. Just my opinion here, but I saw Nick treating Monroe more like a tool than an invaluable peer without whose help Nick would be lost.

RE: The Treatment of Men in Grimm - izzy - 04-27-2017

(04-27-2017, 06:51 PM)irukandji Wrote: Just curious as to what everyone thinks about the development of the male characters in Grimm. With the exception of Bud, and to a lesser extent, Wu, I haven't seen much change or growth in the males.

Just for starters, I'll begin with Monroe. I like Monroe and loved the depth his character provided to the series. But as the seasons progressed, to me it seemed that Monroe was really Nick's faithful watchdog, going on dangerous missions with Nick and forgetting all that he was striving to be, which was a better wesen. Just my opinion here, but I saw Nick treating Monroe more like a tool than an invaluable peer without whose help Nick would be lost.

I think Nick not only retarded Monroe's growth but that retrograded the progress Monroe had made. Worse, I think Monroe could have actually elevated or stabilized Rosalee more, but she was sullied by Nick also.

So no, I did not see growth in the male charterers, I saw retardation in Monroe and stasis in Hank and Wu, which is unrealistic given how shallow their lives appear to be.

RE: The Treatment of Men in Grimm - Hexenadler - 04-27-2017

The men didn't fare any better than the women, really. They were all just lab rats in a maze created by the writers.

RE: The Treatment of Men in Grimm - izzy - 04-27-2017

(04-27-2017, 07:27 PM)Hexenadler Wrote: The men didn't fare any better than the women, really. They were all just lab rats in a maze created by the writers.

Naw, when people design rat mazes they put actual thought into it.

RE: The Treatment of Men in Grimm - wesen - 09-19-2017

(04-27-2017, 06:51 PM)irukandji Wrote: Just curious as to what everyone thinks about the development of the male characters in Grimm. With the exception of Bud, and to a lesser extent, Wu, I haven't seen much change or growth in the males.

I actually kinda agree with you. I loved Monroe's character, especially in season 1, but I felt he was relegated to the background in later seasons. Sure, I loved his relationship with Rosalee, but it seemed like their whole lives revolved around Nick and his life and problems. Imo Monroe in season 1 had more depth to him than in later seasons. And yes there wasn't much progression in Hank and Wu. Nick did change as a character though, he became more 'grimm' towards the end. I wish the writers allowed Renard to show some humanity in season 5, I liked his progress in past seasons but I felt he became too one dimensional near the end.

RE: The Treatment of Men in Grimm - rpmaluki - 09-19-2017

I think the writers struggled with finding a place for all these characters to fit around Nick. When Monroe came into the pic, Hank was relegated to just a colleague he did "cop" things with as opposed to the close relationship that was hinted at when they first eye Adalind across the street. Nick could only be himself (true and complete) with Monroe, who was a partner in every sense of the word. The longer the others (Juliette, Hank & Wu) were kept "outside" the worst the relationship got and suffered in front of viewers.

Rosalee is another that quickly found her place as the "healer" in Nick's arsenal.

The only other "honest" relationship Nick had was with Adalind, they were adversaries and played that accordingly. This evolves in the later seasons but I think they carried this "honesty" (albeit clumsily and hastily) into their romantic relationship. It wasn't lost on either that he was a grimm and she was a hexenbiest. They just found a way to make their weird unconventional coupling work.

Renard was a mass of confusion that only worked because of Sasha but his duplicity was eventually lost as he too assimilated to a honorable scooby until BC came knocking on his door.