Grimm Forum
For All Star Trek Fans - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Television Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Television-Forum)
+--- Forum: TV Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-TV-Discussions)
+--- Thread: For All Star Trek Fans (/Thread-For-All-Star-Trek-Fans)

For All Star Trek Fans - wfmyers1207 - 06-27-2016

Beginning on July, 24 the Heroes and Icons network will begin airing ALL 5 Star Trek series on one channel!! Heart

If you want info on this here is the link:

www.heroesandiconstv.com/allstartrek/

Sorry to our overseas Forum members. So far as I know this network is only available in the USA. Huh

RE: For All Star Trek Fans - irukandji - 05-23-2022

I was looking at something else on the internet last week, and one of those slide show things popped up about Star Trek, with some specific jabs at William Shatner. You know, you read those things, and after a while, you have to wonder, just how much of this is true. I wish I could find the article and will still keep on looking, but in the meantime, here are some articles I was perusing.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/william-shatner-feuds.html

https://www.nickiswift.com/79513/shady-side-william-shatner/

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/05/magazine/05Shatner-t.html

What do you think of Shatner? Was there really enmity between him and the Star Trek cast, or are these articles now popping up because the main supporting cast is deceased?

RE: For All Star Trek Fans - FaceInTheCrowd - 05-24-2022

This stuff isn't new, it's been popping up periodically for years.

The original Star Trek wasn't an ensemble series the way its successors were. It began with two stars, Shatner and Nimoy, and then expanded to three as Kelley moved up in status. The rest of the cast were interchangeable bit part players, who after the series ended were elevated to star status by fans through conventions and the movies. Over the years, they apparently got it into their heads that they were also stars of the series, and that the actual stars should have stuck their necks out and fought for them on things like credits and pay, as if they were actually on a dangerous deep space mission together and not actors who commuted to and from the studio every day on LA freeways and got paid by the number of lines of dialog they got in each script.

Shatner is not a saint; by his own admission, he has an ego that borders on narcissism and he's prone to overreaction if he feels he's being poked unfairly. On the other hand, he's in a business where self-promotion is the norm and the prevailing belief is that the only bad publicity is no publicity. The last movie with the original series cast was 21 years ago, but most people who are even slightly interested in Star Trek can still rattle off all of their names from memory and toy companies are still announcing new action figures in their images. So Shatner and his detractors - both feuding former cast members and writers of articles about their feuds - have been mutually profiting from fanning these flame wars for decades.

RE: For All Star Trek Fans - irukandji - 05-24-2022

I agree with your synopsis of the actors and of Shatner. Acting is a profession that demands actors to get a part, using whatever resources they can. There's also a story somewhere about an actor using an outrageous tactic and wins the coveted role. Shatner actually landed Star Trek with a bit of luck. Jeffrey Hunter did not return after the pilot, and Jack Lord wanted producer rights as well as the starring role, and 50% of the profits. Shatner was third in line and the rest, as they say, is history.

In reality, I think the entire cast was fortunate to even be considered for movies. The movies certainly wouldn't be the same without Shatner, Nimoy, or Kelley, but considering the leads were in their 50s when the first movie came out and was a complete bore to boot, they were certainly very lucky to get a nod at a second movie. The second movie was a success and so they were pretty much guaranteed roles in subsequent films.

Many of these jabs at Shatner seemed like hearsay and cannot be corroborated because many of the principal actors are deceased. Which makes me wonder if this is the reason the internet article appeared in the first place. It was really an outrageous piece of work.

RE: For All Star Trek Fans - FaceInTheCrowd - 05-24-2022

As I recall, after the series ended the only actors I saw continuing to get roles were Shatner and Nimoy. Nimoy did better, moving immediately over to Mission: Impossible while Shatner did guest shots and went on the road doing theater, at one point living in an RV, after his divorce. He got one series starring role in the mid-seventies, but it flopped, and it wasn't until after the Trek movies that he landed the TJ Hooker series. The rest of the cast was pretty much invisible outside of the Trek movies, Trek conventions and Shatner-bashing articles.

If someone revealed that this latest round of articles is based on gossip being fed to bloggers and websites by publicists who traced to Shatner himself, it would not surprise me in the least. It'd be a lot easier than going into space again.

RE: For All Star Trek Fans - irukandji - 05-25-2022

Leonard Nimoy did a presentation (for lack of a better word) on Vincent Van Gogh from the perspective of his brother, Theo. It came to Omaha and my mother was dying to see it. I went with her and it was very good. This spoken from the word of an 18 year old at the time. 

My sister was living in California at the time Shatner did his Rescue 911 series. She was working in San Jose's dispatch department and he did one of the episodes there. She met him, and never said anything bad about him. She got an autographed picture of him for me. I know he doesn't get along with George Takei and those flaming sessions have been public. I knew he didn't get along with James Doohan, but I also understand that Shatner made attempts to reconcile with him and did so before Doohan's death.

There had been a recent rumor about Shatner not attending Leonard Nimoy's funeral because they hadn't spoken for years. That's the first I had heard of it. I know he didn't make it to the funeral and there was criticism about it. Shatner said he had another commitment that day, and that was true. However, there were fans who said he could have made it back for the funeral, even though he would have been late in getting there. Not a high point for Shatner.

Shatner is in essence, an renaissance man. He's never really left Star Trek behind, it's a part of him, but he has also evolved well beyond it into writing, commercials, more series, album recording, breeding horses and dogs, and even into space. So what would be the point of being the point person for some outrageous rumors? He's poked fun at himself many, many times, but these articles go beyond that.

RE: For All Star Trek Fans - FaceInTheCrowd - 05-25-2022

If someone did that, the purpose would be to have control over the narrative. If you're the one behind all the gossip about you, you always know what's coming out and when it's coming and can have your responses ready to go out. In the old days, the Hollywood studios had whole departments of people creating rumors about feuds and romances supposedly going on between the stars of their films. Sometimes it was to provide cover for something the stars were actually doing that might hurt their box office appeal, like pairing secretly gay actors up with long lines of glamorous females, and sometimes it was done just to get the stars on front pages as their new films were nearing release. If you look at old Hollywood "scandal sheet" magazines from the 30s, 40s and 50s, most of the titillating "expose' stories" in them were actually created by studio publicists.

These aren't studio publicists. I would suspect most are freelance and since there's nothing majorly libelous in the articles. they figure Shatner is going to leave them alone.

Now there are some articles will quote things that Shatner said. Nothing like what I read, though.

RE: For All Star Trek Fans - FaceInTheCrowd - 05-25-2022

No, the studios don't do that anymore, because they no longer have performers under contract and no longer control them or their publicity. Performers hire their own publicists to make official announcements and act as "unnamed sources" of gossip about them and about people they want to take jabs at. I think the newest generation of performers don't even do that, and just blow their own horns and throw shade at each other openly on Twitter.

What celebrities have flamed on twitter?