Grimm Forum
Rewatch: 1x15 - Island of Dreams - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 1 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-1)
+---- Thread: Rewatch: 1x15 - Island of Dreams (/Thread-Rewatch-1x15-Island-of-Dreams)

Rewatch: 1x15 - Island of Dreams - GrimmForum - 07-26-2013

Island of Dreams

[Image: MmEjoUjl.jpg]

Episode: 1x15
Air Date: March 30, 2012
Synopsis: Nick looks into a theft and murder at a spice shop and discovers that it was owned by a wesen, and that the thieves were after a dangerous drug. Meanwhile, Hank falls under Adalind's sway and Wu gets caught in the middle.

Resources
Episode Summary (Grimm-Fan.com)
Screen Captures (Grimm-Fan.com)

RE: Rewatch: 1x15 - Island of Dreams - Gretel Hanselsister - 07-26-2013

I really like this episode, finally Rosalee shows up! Already in this episode she gets flowers from Monroe, that’s fast. Why did she stay? Partly because of Wu, I think. He showed her how important it is for Portland to have a spice shop like this. It’s always nice to feel needed.

Bud – I just love him. Again, he’s so sweet in trying to show Nick that he’s a good guy and not to be killed.

Adalinds cookies – they are really big! I never had the focus on the size of the cookies, is it normal to have cookies of this size in America? A normal home-made german cookie you can eat with two small or one big bite.

The “J”, Jansene mold, I tried to look it up, but found nothing. Perhaps they made it up.

Here’s your weekly German crash course:
Skalengeck – there was hardly ever a less German word in Grimm-German than this. “Scale” is English, not German, but it makes sense here for Skalengecks are reptiles. Skala is German for scale, but only used for thermometers or weighing, not for the skin of reptiles (these would be “Schuppen”). Geck means dandy and is hardly used anymore (and it’s nonsense in this context), more likely they mean Gecko, this word is the same in English. So I think, here’s an English word that had to sound german.

Perhaps interesting: the red writing on the wall in the Skalengecks house. It sounds like a phrase from a fairy tale.
"Nicht lange danach überkam die Katze wieder ein Gelüst…"
"Shortly after that the cat again was longing…"
I don’t know a suitable fairy tale but the line fits somehow to the addicted inhabitants.

Keimextrakt – sprout extract, perhaps germ oil is meant
Zaubertrank – magic potion
Saugendampf – suck steam, you would prefer steamsucker, I would prefer Dampfsauger
Trauminsel – island of dream (of course)

RE: Rewatch: 1x15 - Island of Dreams - Lou - 07-26-2013

Gretel, thanks for all the German lessons. Sounds like the writing staff of Grimm have no German speakers. Maybe they just have an English-German dictionary.

Adalind's cookies are unusually big. Not sure if that has any significance. But here in America they sell big cookies like that, individually wrapped in convenience stores. They are usually not very good.

OK, here are some of my thoughts on this episode.

First, I really liked it. Seemed like an especially busy episode with both a creature, a crime, some character development, some intrigue and even some back story reveals (not to mention some more questions posed).

I guess this episode is based on the Grimm story “Donkey Cabbages”. Well at least the first quote is from that. There is not much similarity between the two stories. Both stories contain guys who fall for witches.

This episode starts off with Renard and Adalind. Renard reveals some stuff about his family history but like most Renard reveals; it poses more questions than answers. But more evidence that Renard is not a good guy. He sics Adalind on Hank. Even gives her Hanks blood so she can make a potion.

Juliette appears to be catching on and getting suspicious. She tells Nick she wants a gun.

Adalind goes to the spice shop to get the ingredients for the love potion. She and Freddie seem to know each other. I suppose that shouldn't be surprising.

Rosalie finally shows up. The season is more than half way over. Were the writers always planning on bringing her in and just having to set the stage or was she added later?

This episode has a couple of nice Bud moments. I especially like Juliette’s reaction to him as she tries to make sense of his behavior.

Hank impressed me. He had a chocolate chip cookie for breakfast. Or maybe that was just the compulsion spell kicking in.

Wu is injured again in this episode. He gets poisoned by eating one of Adalind’s cookies. Seems like he gets hurt in almost every episode, now. I should have made a list.

The crack house, Island of Dreams was a pretty neat set. I think it just becomes more apparent with each episode; but assuming that the only drug they serve is J, and only weson take J, and not all weson are J addicts, we can conclude there are a helluva lot of weson in Portland.

Rosalie is one of my favorite characters, and all ready most of her good attributes are being revealed. Saving Monroe’s life with a brick pretty much was the icing on the cake. And we can already see the romance heating up.

Later on we see Juliette is a crack shot. I think this made all of the fans wonder what was Juliette’s back-story.

My last thought is how Nick is going to explain the capture of the drug addicts. Not just in the police report but to Hank, too.

RE: Rewatch: 1x15 - Island of Dreams - HellJacket - 07-26-2013

Rather than analyzing other poster's thoughts on this week's episode, I shall stick to my own analysis.

Let me start by saying I think Rosalee is a very boring character, and I never understand why she gets so much fan love (change that, I understand, but I just don't agree). She's the producers/writers channeling of Hermione Granger. No personality. Pretty much her only purpose on the show is to provide episode-saving cures, explanations on wessen illnesses/institutions, and make Monroe happy (which makes many fans happy). She's a cheap plot device.

However, having said all that, this episode is a nice reminder that the above wasn't always the case. Rosalee was written to be a very dark and interesting character originally. In this episode, she's portrayed as the grieving sister who is also a recovering drug addict. She is both fearful, as well as brave in the face of danger. She also has a bit of an OCD (which is very evident in her interactions with Monroe at her brother's house). I like this Rosalee. She's a nice foil for both the darker sides of the wessen world, as well as proof that it is, in fact, a "world." Portland has its own wessen drug culture, as well as an illicit black market for wessen. However, as the Grimm writing staff has shown time and time again, they have trouble keep track of their past episodes and they simply move on to other ideas and plot lines that featured a more peaceful Rosalee.

I would like to point out how this is another episode focused on the Grimm mythos rather than a single fairy tale character/archetype. It's a continuation of the mythic style that began with Last Grimm Standing, but went all out with Three Coins in a Fuchsbau.

Also, one more thing. Renard and Adalind's conversation about Hank is very interesting. It appears the original notion was that Adalind was going to seduce Hank to help convert Nick, a grimm to Renard's cause. There doesn't appear to be any motivation with this plot related to the key. However, two episodes down the road, that pretty much becomes the only reason for this plot line.

RE: Rewatch: 1x15 - Island of Dreams - speakeasy - 07-27-2013

Interesting episode. Hank eats a meal-sized cookie for dinner and begins the sojourn into his very own Island of Dreams. Then Wu nicks a cookie that sends him to an IoD at a more sinister location. Which gives Rosalee the chance to save - but apparently not fully cure - him and establishes a reason for her to stay on in Portland; in addition to Monroe, that is. And because of her drug dependency background, she can lead Nick and Monroe to the real Island of Dreams on Catrick street.

Renard's a scoundrel in this ep - aside from his plottings, he uses Adalind so ruthlessly to his own purposes, he looks like a cad. Still love, love, luurve, the Cap, but a hero type he ain't in this first season.

Bud's appearances were great, showing the normal law-abiding side of the wesen community, while the single-digit-IQ druggies reveal the seedy underbelly. Hope Rosalee won't keep any J on the shelves of the spice shop. Seems to be alot of things happening in this one episode to flesh out and expand Nick's town and his world.

Some lighter moments were when Juliette makes the 'no, a bow and arrow' remark to Nick, and maybe Wu's cushion-munching scene shouldn't have been funny, but it was to me. Also, the scene where Monroe gives Rosalee flowers brings a welcome change of tone to an otherwise pretty dark story. Adalind's raincoat looked gorgeous on her and Rosalee's complextion was glowing and flawless.

RE: Rewatch: 1x15 - Island of Dreams - FräuleinWunderlich - 07-28-2013

I like this episode, too.In the scene when Nick&Monroe showed up to the spice shop Rosalee rolled a carped over the floor before she opend the door.Whether she has taking something from her secret place, that we see in the season 2 final?
@ Gretel
If you want cookies like Adalinds this one are a little bit smaller then their. But for german conditions very huge. And there are damn yummy. Wink

[Image: pepperidgeframchocolatecaramelcookies_p1.jpg]

RE: Rewatch: 1x15 - Island of Dreams - Gretel Hanselsister - 07-28-2013

I think Rosalee simply replaced the carpet because the old one was full of her brother's blood. But perhaps she found the hiding place on this occasion...

No need for Adalinds cookies, thanks. I would worry if I eat my couch next Wink. You should try my home-made cookies... oh, sweet christmas time! Big Grin

RE: Rewatch: 1x15 - Island of Dreams - Zansy - 05-05-2018

* “Do you think she’s prettier than me?” - “I do. But that may just be family bias.”
*”The way to a man’s soul is through his friends.” (Look who’s teaching Adalind not to go after Nick directly when that’s what Adalind wants to do. - If anyone deserved to end up with an extreme sexual obsession with someone else, it’s Sean. It’s not fair on Juliette. But Sean deserved exactly what he got after he asked Adalind to do the same to Hank.)
* “Now go fall in love.”
* Juliette’s reaction to having been attacked in her own home and being abducted is not to back out of the relationship with Nick. It’s to learn how to use a gun even though she doesn’t like them.
*I like how eager Bud is to bring up the “not wife” thing to make sure that Nick sees that he remembers that.
*”Hi! Remember me?” - “Of course.” - “What can I do for you?” - “I made a list.”- “Let me get it for you.” - “Freddy!” - “Yes.”- “Fresh.” - “Yes, ma’am. Absolutely.” - “How much do I owe you?” - “Nothing. It’s on the house.” - “Thank you, Freddy.” - “Anytime.”
No wonder Catherine Schade demands a discount. Her daughter seems to get stuff at that shop for free.
* What I keep trying to understand is... why did Freddy attack those guys? He knew that they were armed. And if he’s been helping the resistance, he must’ve dealt with dangerous people beyond the Geiers before this point.
*”He took a bite out of his killer?” - “Looks like it.” - “Makes for some good DNA.”
* “I’ve got a Rosalee Calvert. Listed as beneficiary. Lives in Seattle.” - “You want me to make the call?” - “No, it’s my turn.”
* I forgot that Hank and Drew have both been eating Hank’s and Adalind’s blood. Yum. -_-
* Nick’s the first person of the Scoobies to talk to Rosalee, but Drew’s the first to meet her in person.
* “Please, sit down.” Hank sounds so gentle. I mean, sure, they’d do that for any bereaved. But I still like it. And by this point she is a potential suspect, given that she’s Freddy’s beneficiary.
*”I didn’t hurt your brother. I’m not gonna hurt you.”
* She’s so scared of him. Sad
* “Did you know your brother was dealing?” - “No.” - “He was being supplied by Geiers.” - “Is that who killed him?” - “That was my first thought. But I think whoever came here was after something else.” - “What?” - “I was hoping you could tell me.” - “I have no idea what he has in here. But I’ll look.” (So here we have Rosalee promise that she’ll look what they might have taken. And she’s interested in getting this whole thing over with as quickly as possible. Yet when Nick and Monroe arrive much later she hasn’t even *started* to look?)
* “I think the sister’s clean.”
* “If you can think of anything... or if you need anything, just... just call me.” - “You’re not at all what I expected.” - “Yeah.” - “If you find out anything...” - “I’ll call you.” (Oh you bet he’ll call you, Rosalee. He’ll do that a lot.)
*The thing is, yes I get that Nick trusts her that she had nothing to do with it. But I thought she wasn’t allowed to be in there alone until after forensics get done? (And if forensics were done, why did Nick have to go along aside from having a chance to talk to Rosalee by himself?)
* How long did Adalind have to stand there to make sure she delivers those cookies in person? Did Sean call her to tell her when Hank was leaving?
* Isn’t it actually Nick who saved Adalind’s life, though? Since it was Nick who shot Melissa to protect Hank? (Not that I think Nick’s particularly keen on that honor...)
*”Don’t go giving those away. I made them just for you.”
* “Nothing in the spice shop was illegal.” - “It’s really a shame, he was a nice guy.” (Well hey, better than the last time we heard you talk about the man, Monroe.)
* Why is Rosalee rolling out a new carpet when we meet her again? She’s planning to pack up and close that shop as soon as possible, isn’t she? Shouldn’t she be busy trying to locate what the thieves were trying to steal? (I don’t want her to leave, obviously. But I don’t get it from her perspective. She can’t possibly have known that Nick would drop by to introduce her to her future husband.)
* “Another partner?” - “Sort of... errm. This is Monroe. Monroe, this is Rosalee Calvert.”
* I don’t see Monroe counting his fingers. *shakes head* The man needs to follow his own advice. She’s a Fuchsbau, you know, Monroe. Need to be careful when you shake her hand! (Of course since he’s going to lose his heart in the course of this ep, maybe his fingers are the least of his worries.)
* While I appreciate that they needed Monroe to meet Rosalee for the rest of the episode to work... why didn’t Nick ask Rosalee what was taken? Or to come and check out the basement with him? It’s unlikely that he’s too shy to ask her for help.
*”It’s like meth mixed with rat poison and helium. It’s highly addictive. It’s terrible for your liver. And it’s not so good for your brain either.” Yummy, Rosalee. And you had seven years of that...
* “Of course if you had a brain, you wouldn’t be using the stuff in the first place.” Oh a GOOD moment to walk in on that conversation, Rosalee. A very good moment.
*”Do you know of a drug called Jay?” - “Yes.” - “Do you know if your brother was selling it?” - “Even if he was... it’s not illegal.”-“She’s right. That’s why you... the cop you has never heard of it.”
* Still like the woge scene.
* Look who’s asking Monroe to find the men who killed her brother. And she still gets flowers for saving his life. Nick could sulk for not getting any after he protected him in Last Grimm Standing.
* Awww Bud. You are confusing her SO much. Also... “I can fix just about anything.”
* That’s the good thing about using a cutter, rather than your mouth to attack people. You can just leave it there and keep moving.
* “She cut me!”
*How come Freddy’s house changes into a rented apartment by 3.04?
* Look how Rosalee and Nick are already starting to have a little heart-to-heart on what it means to be a Grimm and a cop.
* “I want someone that I have something in common with.” - Yeah, uh, Wesenrein wouldn’t agree with you there.
* When did Hank take up bringing along coffee for Nick whenever he arrives? When he did that in Three Coins I thought he was trying to apologize for his off behavior the night before.
* Why is Rosalee going to leave Monroe at her brother’s place? Doesn’t she worry at all about the Skalengecks anymore?
* And why did Hank bring the cookie only to leave it on his desk? If he’s that addicted to them, shouldn’t he be taking it along?
*So Nick tries to cover for Hank letting their suspects go away, and Hank immediately admits to his mistake. (Not that Sean can complain, really. He’s probably cheering on the inside.)
* Seriously, for someone who’s trying to pack up things I’m impressed with how well Rosalee’s already keeping track of which thing is where on the shelves.
* How did Nick make it from a couple of arrests for breaking and entering to “I guess you did drugs, didn’t you?”
*On the other hand. Good that that comes up at that point and not later to generate major drama. Also nice how Nick solves that one before it can turn into a problem when he’s so bad at letting people in on his own secrets.
* Nice brick work. *smile*
*I like Nick going back to check on Drew.
* Poor Drew. (And yes I know he kind of has himself to blame for stealing that cookie. But that was a harmless transgression compared to what he suffers through for it.)
*Hey Monroe... giving her flowers for saving your life definitely beats giving her cookies that contain her blood and yours. So it’s all good.
* Poor Hank. Sad