Grimm Forum
Rewatch: 1x09 - Of Mouse and Man - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 1 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-1)
+---- Thread: Rewatch: 1x09 - Of Mouse and Man (/Thread-Rewatch-1x09-Of-Mouse-and-Man)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Rewatch: 1x09 - Of Mouse and Man - HellJacket - 07-01-2013

I do not understand how I'm so out of tune with the rest of fandom on the Grimm Forum. Either you people are more tolerant of mediocrity than I am, or I have such a unique perspective that I share little in common with the rest of you. However, we all agree Grimm is awesome, so that is something we clearly have in common. Anyways, onto my review.

This episode is terrible. It is far away the worst episode of Grimm. Ever. Everything about it screams that the writer is a hack. It's a bad Criminal Minds episode that was placed right dab in the middle of Season 1 of Grimm. Let me go through the problems.

1. Pretty much every side character introduced in this episode is a bad cliche. The hot chick who has the abusive boyfriend. The "slimmy" narcissistic lawyer (yeah, really reaching with that one) who takes advantage of people around him. The weakling maushertz who finally snaps. The writers took generic crime stereotypes and made a mishmash using most of them. That's not good writing.

2. The maushertz. The character is both really stupid, while at the same time has a cringe worthy awkwardness in every one of his scenes. Now, the hack writer will say, "well, that's the goal of writing that character, he's supposed to be like that." But the unintended consequence of said writing is that there's little of anything enjoyable about episode. Just a cliche villain that has been done too many times to count. And the whole Psycho vibe with the dead father who has passed away, but is still rotting in the apartment isn't particularly interesting either.

3. Monroe has a very small role in this episode except for getting beaten up. Most bad episodes have some nuggets that are interesting in their own right. For instance, the bluebeard episode had Renard and the Reaper. We get a very quick scene of Nick in the trailer, and Monroe is MIA for the rest. Yeah, this episode is weak on those side things that Grimm fans really love.

4. The spying wessen wife whose plot went nowhere in later episodes. Now, when I first saw this episode, this wasn't a weakness, but having seen it now, yeah, totally pointless like many of the other early season 1 serial plot points. I'm guessing the woman in the truck was supposed to be the wife of John Oblinger, Bud's friend, but we never hear about her ever again.

Yeah, this episode sucks, but no one else seems to thinks so, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. However, I'm happy to say that this will be the last Grimm episode I dislike until September. I can now return to being my positive upbeat self.

RE: Rewatch: 1x09 - Of Mouse and Man - the-epic-prince - 07-01-2013

I'm actually in agreement with you HellJacket, this was my least favorite season 1 if not the series so far.

RE: Rewatch: 1x09 - Of Mouse and Man - Zansy - 04-30-2018

* Can we please appreciate the little sign that says “Illegal dumping is a crime” on the container the body was dumped in?
* “But I guess he’s not here either... anymore.”
* I love that Hank offers a protesting “hey!” when Nick quotes him on the “love’s a funny thing” bit (Which Hank said when Nick asked about Natalie staying with Lenny.) when Sean asks if he thinks Natalie’s capable of putting a screwdriver through the man’s throat.
* “It’s the death of dreams.”
* “I think that he must have had a very difficult life to turn out so mean.”
* “Don’t arrest him. He’s just hungry.” - “He’s a rodent. He should be eating what rodents eat.” - “He’s not a rodent. We’re all mammals here.” - “Well, I’m not eating what he’s eating.” - “Sure you are. You just got to it first.”
* It really is consequent to put each of them into the trash. -_-
* “Actually that was a paraphrase. I left out all the bad language, because I couldn’t write that fast.” I do love you, Drew. Big Grin
* Why do they think the killer’s making random choices when they’ve already got one clear thing connecting the two? (Both being bullies.)
* And Monroe got beaten up again. Sad
* Juliette can already creep out moms by watching them without ever meaning them any harm.
* Did they use Monroe’s blood to paint the Scythe?
* “No signs of trauma.” - “Except maybe to Marty.” - “Maybe this is what set him off.” - “Or set him free.”
* “Are you asking to die? Because if you are, you’ve come to the right place.”
* Marty really is just standing up to bullies in a rather permanent fashion.
*I really wished I knew if the bully father learned anything from being hit for his behavior.
* “I think what you did for that little boy was actually pretty great. I had a dad like that. He scared the hell out of me.”
* I really don’t like him turning on Nathalie. Before that point his behavior made sense.
* “At least I know who you are.” Well err, Juliette... you might not know him as well as you think.
* “What happened to you?” - “Funny you should ask. You happened to me. Get in here.”

[Image: tumblr_p80jboQt9u1xryu9qo1_1280.png]