Grimm Forum
Rewatch: 1x09 - Of Mouse and Man - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 1 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-1)
+---- Thread: Rewatch: 1x09 - Of Mouse and Man (/Thread-Rewatch-1x09-Of-Mouse-and-Man)

Pages: 1 2

Rewatch: 1x09 - Of Mouse and Man - GrimmForum - 06-28-2013

Of Mouse and Man

[Image: cFzSojsl.jpg]

Episode: 1x09
Air Date: January 20, 2012
Synopsis: While Nick investigates a creature that may have start killing due to its abused childhood, the creature community begin to have doubts about Eddie's loyalties.

Resources
Episode Summary (Grimm-Fan.com)
Screen Captures (Grimm-Fan.com)

Tonight's Grimm Rewatch begins with Episode 9, Of Mouse and Man. What are all of your thoughts on this episode?

Question for you all. Since Season 3 of Grimm will be returning on October 25, 2013, there will be more time to finish the Grimm Rewatch. Should we adjust to 1 episode every week, instead of the current 2 episodes every week?

RE: Rewatch: 1x09 - Of Mouse and Man - Lou - 06-28-2013

Head Count – 4, counting Marty's dad.
Wogs – 8
Apples – Monroe has an iPhone – I even could see the logo
Bridges – Just the one near the trailer

Both the title and the opening line are from John Steinbeck’s Of Mouse and Men. Remember last week I was saying if we plotted the fairy tale references it would be a downward trending slope? Well, that trend continues and since Of Mice and Men isn’t even a fairy tale it could be argued that it has now reached 0. If you want to go with a broader definition, this story, except for it’s title and the opening line – it has nothing to do with Steinbeck’s novel. Oh, wait, the first victim is named Lenny and he was a main character in Steinbeck’s novel. I also vaguely remember from American Lit that Steinbeck makes use of animal imagery.

Personally, I have a bit of a pet peeve when a story uses a famous title gratuitously. But I really liked this episode. I felt the narrative of this story was maybe the best yet. It even used some good mystery elements. How many of us guessed the murderer was the likable mousey guy from the very beginning?

I think Wu get the best line of the show again.
Wu: Anyone know what killed him?

In this episode, both Martin and Mason woged in front of Nick, but no one seemed to notice he was a Grimm. I’ll let HellJacket try to make sense out of that for us.

Even though Juliette looks pretty dorky, kudos to the writers to promote bicycle safety by putting her in a bicycle helmet. But maybe they were just being realistic. Does Oregon have tough bicycle helmet laws?

We also got to see some great character development in Juliette. She is brave, proactive, but a little bid disobedient.

Also do you think the writers have something to say about the characters by what cars they drive? And what do you think their ads in Variety look like? Casting Call: mousy looking actor needed.

Another trend I’ve just started to notice, the writers seem to be working in some contemporary issues in each episode. This episode has a little bit to do with battered women syndrome and bullying in general.

I think the conclusion of this episode was the most straightforward one in a long time. No imaginative editing of the police report was necessary. Hank must have been pretty happy.

RE: Rewatch: 1x09 - Of Mouse and Man - pale boy - 06-29-2013

Ah, I remembered this one the second it started. Another creepy dude, this time one with a bit of a Norman Bates vibe. Just goes to show that Wesen of all types can be dangerous. Or maybe that was just a unique situation brought upon by multiple factors and issues ... NAAAH. Actually, it was a little sad. I felt bad for Mr. Mouse; although he was doing terrible things, he really had a terrible life to begin with. Is there a word for "creepy and sad at the same time"? Surely the German language has something? Help a brother out. Wink

Hope that the neighbor gets some therapy after that "adventure", poor woman. Portland's psychologists must be doing business at a fair clip what with all the weirdness going on.

Also, hoarding and hoarders is something I never want to see on this show again. Ever. I found that almost as bad as the actually creature feature this episode. I'm getting a little sick typing this out right now. *shudder*

With Juliette, I have to wonder if she thought that Nick was a dirty cop or something before she found out he was a Grimm. I wish they had done a bit of that from her perspective. Could have been funny.

Edited to add: I think Hank gets some of the best reaction shots. He always manages to do the perfect "wth" face.

RE: Rewatch: 1x09 - Of Mouse and Man - speakeasy - 06-29-2013

Good episode. Marty seemed to be a nice enough mouse until he went all rogue. Seemed to have a bit of Mighty Mouse in his persona right along because he stepped in to help Natalie more than once - but it took a bad turn after daddy went the way of all Mauzhertz. That safety zone of his was very symbolic of mice inhabiting the leavings of society and of his bottom-rung existence.

The actor who played Mason the Lausenschlange was one of my favorite parts of this story. He did alot with the small amount of screen time he was given for the part. Great portrayal of a sleezy mouse-bullying ambulance-chaser.

It was also very nice to revisit Juliette in this first season. Second season's storyline just took away so much appeal of the character and it's nice to see her again as she really is and to see how much Nick is in love with her.

Monroe arrived right on time to get his clock cleaned, went there, but he really acknowledges his commitment to work with Nick as a result of the beating.

RE: Rewatch: 1x09 - Of Mouse and Man - Gretel Hanselsister - 06-29-2013

This was the first episode I marked "meh" instead of "like" (btw, what kind of word is "meh"? Something between "I don't know", "I don't care" and "neutral"?)

Again, we have an always-loosing species which turned out to be the murderer, we've seen it before with the Bauerschwein and the Blutbad. And it's pretty unrealistic that Marty was able to kill the Lausenschlange. Wasn't he supposed to be inferior, weak and not trained for fighting? OK, perhaps he was simply lucky, three times (Lenny, Mason and this mechanic, all of them agressive and physically superior). The Bauerschwein at least had a rifle.

Monroe was lured into a trap. Did I miss something? Wasn't he supposed to repair that clock? The clock was working just fine. It showed 12:30 as he arrived, and this was their arranged time. So he could have been warned.

I loved Wu's line "Actually, that was a paraphrase. I left out the bad language 'cause I couldn't write that fast".

(06-29-2013, 12:44 AM)pale boy Wrote: Is there a word for "creepy and sad at the same time"? Surely the German language has something? Help a brother out. Wink

Hm, what about "Justin Bieber"? Big Grin No, sorry, I don't have a suitable german word for you.

(06-28-2013, 09:39 PM)Lou Wrote: Head Count – 3
In this episode, both Martin and Mason woged in front of Nick, but no one seemed to notice he was a Grimm. I’ll let HellJacket try to make sense out of that for us.

Don't you count Marty's father? We don't know if he died a natural death or not, but he's dead. No doubt.

Both Martin and Mason looked in another direction so they couldn't see Nicks face. After I've rewatched this early episodes I'm not that sure anymore, but I still think it helps Wesen to realise he's a Grimm. (Sorry Helljacket for blabbering when you are asked)

OK, let's enter my little german corner. "Maushertz" is supposed to mean "Mouseheart" but the spelling is wrong ("Mausherz" would be right) If you write it "tz", you're talking about physics and frequency, it has truely a comical dimension.
"Lausenschlange", well, "Lousesnake" with a weird plural form for the "louse" (perhaps "Läuseschlange" would fit better), but I don't like the word anyway. I wondered what lice had to do with snakes, but then I learned that "louse" is used to insult people like "swine" or "skunk", we don't use "Laus" equally.
When Nick read in his book in the trailer about the Lausenschlange, I saw a word I was not familiar with ("carnage") so I looked it up and guess what? I had found another english word for "Blutbad" Big Grin .

RE: Rewatch: 1x09 - Of Mouse and Man - speakeasy - 06-29-2013

(06-28-2013, 08:45 PM)GrimmForum Wrote:
Of Mouse and Man

[Image: cFzSojsl.jpg]

Episode: 1x09
Air Date: January 20, 2012
Synopsis: While Nick investigates a creature that may have start killing due to its abused childhood, the creature community begin to have doubts about Eddie's loyalties.

Resources
Episode Summary (Grimm-Fan.com)
Screen Captures (Grimm-Fan.com)

Tonight's Grimm Rewatch begins with Episode 9, Of Mouse and Man. What are all of your thoughts on this episode?

Question for you all. Since Season 3 of Grimm will be returning on October 25, 2013, there will be more time to finish the Grimm Rewatch. Should we adjust to 1 episode every week, instead of the current 2 episodes every week?

Either way is fine with me, but I prefer two episodes.

RE: Rewatch: 1x09 - Of Mouse and Man - Sable677 - 06-29-2013

I enjoyed this episode as well. The case was a good one, but I liked the Monroe stuff with him getting attacked and deciding to ignore the status quo. I also liked seeing Juliet investigating the people watching their house.

RE: Rewatch: 1x09 - Of Mouse and Man - FräuleinWunderlich - 06-30-2013

I enjoyed the first episode after a one week break also. For me, mouses and men has the best woge in grimm yet. I could watch the lausaschlange-woge again and again Big Grin
One thing I noticed through the rewatch: After Monroe get attacked by the reapers and he become conscious, you can the on the top of the building the words TEMPUS FUGIT. Google says it is an Latain proverb. In full it is Tempus fugit - amor manet. When my translation from Latain to German to English is correct then it means:Time flies, love lingers.
Maybe this is something like an easter egg. Smile

RE: Rewatch: 1x09 - Of Mouse and Man - GrimmForum - 06-30-2013

(06-29-2013, 08:11 PM)Sable677 Wrote: I enjoyed this episode as well. The case was a good one, but I liked the Monroe stuff with him getting attacked and deciding to ignore the status quo. I also liked seeing Juliet investigating the people watching their house.

Hi Sable, I believe you made the 2000th post at Grimm Forum!

Congratulations!

RE: Rewatch: 1x09 - Of Mouse and Man - speakeasy - 07-01-2013

(06-30-2013, 10:11 AM)FräuleinWunderlich Wrote: I enjoyed the first episode after a one week break also. For me, mouses and men has the best woge in grimm yet. I could watch the lausaschlange-woge again and again Big Grin
One thing I noticed through the rewatch: After Monroe get attacked by the reapers and he become conscious, you can the on the top of the building the words TEMPUS FUGIT. Google says it is an Latain proverb. In full it is Tempus fugit - amor manet. When my translation from Latain to German to English is correct then it means:Time flies, love lingers.
Maybe this is something like an easter egg. Smile

Seems like a bona fide decorated ovum to meExclamation