Grimm Forum
Rewatch: 1x08 - Game Ogre - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Episode Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Episode-Discussions)
+---- Forum: Season 1 (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Season-1)
+---- Thread: Rewatch: 1x08 - Game Ogre (/Thread-Rewatch-1x08-Game-Ogre)

Pages: 1 2

Rewatch: 1x08 - Game Ogre - GrimmForum - 06-22-2013

Game Ogre

[Image: uJTU4DW.jpg]

Episode: 1x08
Air Date: January 13th, 2012
Synopsis: A prison escapee returns to Portland and seeks revenge on everyone who got him arrested. Nick notices his unusual strength and high tolerance of pain and calls Eddie to help put his rampage to an end.

Resources
Episode Summary (Grimm-Fan.com)
Screen Captures (Grimm-Fan.com)

What did you all think of Episode 8, Game Ogre?

RE: 1x08 - Game Ogre - HellJacket - 06-22-2013

Game Ogre is one of my favorite episodes, and I could watch it over and over again. Funny enough, many Grimm fans hate this episode and I routinely see it among people's top five worst ones. I never know why. Let me explain why this episode is awesome.

1. Oleg Stark is probably the most well-developed Grimm villain until Edgar Waltz in Cat and Mouse. He's a very intelligent antagonist for our heroes, and has probably the best explained motivation of any evil Grimm character. His background is also very interesting, though most of that is found in the deleted scenes. Stark was a hitman for the Verratt, but alas, the writers decided to wait until Cat and Mouse to introduce that plot line.

2. Monroe and the 19th century elephant gun are bad azz. That gun is one of my favorite trinkets in Aunt Marie's trailer.

3. This is one of the few episodes where the story is more about Hank than Nick, and Hank does a pretty good job of it. In most Grimm episodes, Hank is at a crime scene and makes some obvious observation, and then Nick go does Grimm stuff. Au contraire, this is Hank's show. Hank is the target, and it's his mission to deal with Stark, but lucky for him Monroe shows up to save him in the nick of time. This is a well-constructed plot.

The only thing strange about this episode is that it appears Siegbarst are among the few wessen that can handle a grimm one-on-one. Why haven't the royal families sent any of these after Nick? I hope we get to see another one in the future.

Also, how many people caught the fairy tale easter egg where Stark was on trial for murdering Jack (e.g., Jack and the beanstalk). Fun.

RE: 1x08 - Game Ogre - pale boy - 06-22-2013

(06-22-2013, 12:24 PM)HellJacket Wrote: Game Ogre is one of my favorite episodes, and I could watch it over and over again. Funny enough, many Grimm fans hate this episode and I routinely see it among people's top five worst ones. I never know why. Let me explain why this episode is awesome.

Yeah, I don't know why people hate this episode either. :\ I like it. Not only do we get the action with Hank, there's also a Juliette moment (boiling water!) Those two characters must not be liked by a lot of people, which sucks. Hank and Juliette are two characters I want to see more of, amongst other people. This episode reminded me of how much I want more "background" on Grimm's characters in general.

It was also different by having Nick mostly out of commission for the ep. Monroe, a favorite with a lot of fans, got to play a really active part. What I enjoyed was that he finished off the monster, but Hank more than stood his own against a friggin' ogre-type, which goes to show that a Grimm isn't necessarily required for the "slaying of the beast". I hope we see some more of this Grimm-less team dynamic in Season 3.

That's not to say that I don't like Nick (I do like him). I think having the main character absent would be an opportunity to change things up for a few episodes, shift friendships between characters, etc. Considering the way Season 2 went out, I think I might get my wish.

RE: 1x08 - Game Ogre - speakeasy - 06-23-2013

I liked this episode alot. Loved Juliette with the boiling water and the quips the two exchanged about it in Nick's hospital room. (Oleg Stark can join the ranks of Game of Throne's House Stark and Iron Man Tony Stark for my money. Love to see him photoshopped into a picture with the rest of them!) His bloody trail of clues was so shocking, it demonstrated his raw brutality and made him pretty terrifying. Entertaining to watch.

It was good to see Hank as the main character in this episode. Hank seems to be a little older and a more experienced officer than Nick. This episode showed Hank's fallible human side in that he compromised evidence to put a bad guy behind bars, and his good character in that he was ready to face the giant alone because he felt responsible for the damage done.

RE: 1x08 - Game Ogre - Lou - 06-24-2013

Headcount - 3
Wogs - 1
Apples – Monroe has an iPod classic. Nick sneaks his iPhone into his hospital bed.

So this was based a little bit on Jack and the Beanstalk. I bet if you charted the number of “story connections” in each episode it would be a downward sloping line. The last episode didn’t have many and this one has even less. I really like the connections and mourn their loss. I wonder if this was a conscious decision of the writers or what.

Some great character development in this one. We learn that Hank is capable of acting outside of the law – when he tells Nick that he lost the videotape that might have acquitted Stokes. We learn that Juliette keeps her cool in an emergency – when he passed by the kitchen knives and grabbed the pot of water. We also witnessed that she deeply cares about Nick and is very emotional about him being in danger despite the fact that she can put on a brave face and joke about it with Nick in the hospital. We see another side of Renard too; he is extremely concerned and protective about his men and his city. I guess we knew this already – but he is very possessive about Portland and doesn’t like it when things come and try to mess up “his” town.

This was a much more violent episode than we have seen before. And more police work than usual, too. Maybe that's why some people didn't like it. I'm not sure that the violence and police work is why I liked it. I think it was the character development and the opportunity for some of the supporting cast to get some more screen time while Nick recovers in the hospital.

(06-22-2013, 12:24 PM)HellJacket Wrote: Also, how many people caught the fairy tale easter egg where Stark was on trial for murdering Jack (e.g., Jack and the beanstalk). Fun.

Ha! I totally didn't catch that. Nice catch! Oh, and there was gold involved there, too.

RE: 1x08 - Game Ogre - HellJacket - 06-25-2013

(06-24-2013, 04:53 PM)Lou Wrote: Headcount - 3
Question Lou, did you count Stark in the headcount? My list of dead people for this episode is the following:

1. Judge
2. Jury Foreman (navy guy)
3. Assistant District Attorney
4. Stark at the end

Or do you only count innocent/good people?

RE: 1x08 - Game Ogre - Lou - 06-25-2013

oooops. i forgot to count stark.

RE: 1x08 - Game Ogre - HellJacket - 06-25-2013

(06-25-2013, 03:28 PM)Lou Wrote: oooops. i forgot to count stark.

If I ever start my own headcount tally for Grimm episodes, I'm only going to count midgets.

Just because . . .

RE: 1x08 - Game Ogre - Lou - 06-25-2013

I'm pretty sure all my statistics are off. I didn't realize how bad i was at counting till now.

I'm a little sorry I didn't think of cell phone calls as something to count. If you want a good drinking game to play - use cell phone calls. Hank, Nick and Monroe call each other 10 times a day. They must have that friends and family plan.

RE: 1x08 - Game Ogre - Gretel Hanselsister - 06-26-2013

Just finished my rewatch - this week it really sucked that I couldn't find the time untill now - it's a favourite episode for me, too.

(06-24-2013, 04:53 PM)Lou Wrote: This was a much more violent episode than we have seen before. And more police work than usual, too. Maybe that's why some people didn't like it.

Yes, I can hardly look at the judges body with this hammer stuck in his throat, Mary's tongue on the scales isn't any better -yuk-...
...but I can live with that.

(06-23-2013, 04:49 PM)speakeasy Wrote: His bloody trail of clues was so shocking, it demonstrated his raw brutality and made him pretty terrifying.

I agree. For this kind of Wesen, brutality was neccessary.
Monroe looking around in the trailer for the first time is an all-time-highlight for me, his big eyes, just like a child on christmas day, "this is a total freak show".
Monroe had some of his best scenes in this episode. I like the idea of Monroe saving the day without being discovered, leaving big bullets behind and an even bigger mystery.

As others said, I like Juliette in this episode, too. The boiling water was definitely the only thing in the house to chase the Siegbarst away. Brave and clever girl.

Here's the time for aunt Gretel's german lesson if you like Wink
"Stark" is the german word for strong, nothing could fit better.
"Siegbarst" - I just love that word though it gave me something to ponder for a long time. "Sieg" means "victory" but what's a "Barst"? In very outworn german it's the past form of "to burst" or "to explode" but it really doesn't make sense in this combination. I like my husband's idea in this topic. His suggestion is the german word for invincible, what is "unbeSIEGBAR", but there are letters missing and too much letters, too Big Grin But the meaning fits very good. So, if I have to translate Siegbarst this way, it would be probably "Cibelst", pure nonsens. Nervertheless, I love the word Siegbarst. It sounds really like a fairy tale character and sounds pretty brutal.
"Gift" ist the german word for poison, as Monroe said. Storytime Cool
After WW2, when germany laid in ruins and the people were hungry, the german-american love story began with care parcels from america. They kept many families from starving. But there were parcels destroyed and dumped, too. Some people didn't dare to open them and eat the goods inside because they were labeled "Gift" for tax reasons.