Grimm Forum
Sympathy For The Devil -- Adalind from the beginning - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Characters (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Characters)
+--- Thread: Sympathy For The Devil -- Adalind from the beginning (/Thread-Sympathy-For-The-Devil-Adalind-from-the-beginning)

Sympathy For The Devil -- Adalind from the beginning - TieDyeJackson - 07-08-2015

I just started rewatching the series from the beginning because Season 4 made that much of an impact on me (that and I can't wait until October 30th for my next Grimm fix lol).

Anyway, before I started watching I remembered what Adalind had told Nick in Sean's office. That she was just protecting herself so I decided to approach it from the beginning with an eye out for the good side of Adalind. So I started digging in (watched 17 episodes in about five days) and watching her your heart bleeds for her. She is nothing but a pawn for the wants of her mother and the man she loved who both didn't give a damn about her.

Just watched "Love Sick" S1E17 this morning and the last few minutes of that show, when she's turned human, I dare you to not feel sympathy for her... even with all the horrible things she's done... in one fell swoop she loose everything and everyone, even herself. Hell, she was going to kill his partner and you can still see the sympathy and regret in Nick's face for doing this to her even after all she's done.

RE: Sympathy For The Devil -- Adalind from the beginning - jsgrimm45 - 07-08-2015

(07-08-2015, 11:06 AM)TieDyeJackson Wrote: I just started rewatching the series from the beginning because Season 4 made that much of an impact on me (that and I can't wait until October 30th for my next Grimm fix lol).

Anyway, before I started watching I remembered what Adalind had told Nick in Sean's office. That she was just protecting herself so I decided to approach it from the beginning with an eye out for the good side of Adalind. So I started digging in (watched 17 episodes in about five days) and watching her your heart bleeds for her. She is nothing but a pawn for the wants of her mother and the man she loved who both didn't give a damn about her.

Just watched "Love Sick" S1E17 this morning and the last few minutes of that show, when she's turned human, I dare you to not feel sympathy for her... even with all the horrible things she's done... in one fell swoop she loose everything and everyone, even herself. Hell, she was going to kill his partner and you can still see the sympathy and regret in Nick's face for doing this to her even after all she's done.
I will have to say I have thought of Adalind in many ways but never with sympathy. In your thread about Juliette your points I see and for the most part agree (I do think season 3 Juliette's help to the Scooby's worked well) I wondered at the time if the character was being taken to a different level in the series. Then in the middle of season 4 they took the character a different way (had thought the hexenbeist thing was going to corrected) and totally changed the character.

Adalind I now see beginning in 4 season as being changed also. I hope for the good but I'm not going to bet on it. From a plot point I can see why the writers choose to use the Adalind character. She's been tricked by the royals (yes Sean also) the one thing in common has been to use her against Nick. As you point out Nick took her powers but not her life, but I did not feel like he had any sympathy for how she felt about it, but I been known once or twice to be wrong.

Nick has been (you have to read between the lines maybe) the only one not tricking her even with what she has done to him. So far we don't know if her "change of heart" is real or plot yet again. Now she needs protection I and others think suppression of her powers, one it only a temporary thing or she knows of a way to undo it (think Henriatta body).

We did see a different Adalind after Diana was born and she did say at her mother grave she was going to raise her children the right way, but for a hexenbeist what is the right way. (I think Meisner for Adalind.)

Now really to my point of this post (I know took my time to make a pointBig Grin). Alalind now has the knowledge of the royals, the lay out of things in the castle, and as much "dislike" for the royals as Nick and she having his baby. The only way to protect Diana from the royals also is with Nick and the Scooby's. The makes for a dual couple with one wanting revenge and the other willing to protect her children even Nick's son. Not in love interest or anything like that but to benefit both as soon as the royals find out Nick has a son they will try kidnapping or threats to the son for the key given the chance. Adalind will know this so she has two children being in danger from the royals.

They look to have changed the Sean character as will as someone Nick can trust also add in the Scooby's and you have one group with the willingness and knowledge to take on the royals, with or without the resistance. Add Trublel and the keys you have season 5. We don't even have to add Chavez or who Bill Campbell will be for a season, but to be sure the will be a reason.

I will withhold sympathy until I see more how Adalind plays out.

Good thread should make for a good discussion. Thanks

RE: Sympathy For The Devil -- Adalind from the beginning - TieDyeJackson - 07-09-2015

You make some very valid points , jsgrimm45 and I would really like to say thank you for the way you respond , more constructive than clashing with another poster.

I had the same feelings about Adalind as well, wondering if the turn was just one of those double turns TV villains are so fond of but reading interviews with the EPs I think they pay attention to their fan base a lot more than other shows. Look at the explosion of Nadalind shippers there are since Adalind/Juliette and Juliette/Adalind slept with Nick. It did have a small following from the pilot but it exploded in Season 4.

Motherhood has changed her and even if she does have a plan in the back of her mind I think after spending some time with the Scooby Gang and being accepted and not used for the first time in her life I think the change will be permanent.

Her being a mother did change her and what she said at the grave I think is the realization of her pulling back from the path that would turn her into a self-serving bitch like her mother.

I want to see them going after the Royals, I hope the families are fighting for the crown and Renard has his hat in the ring and somehow they end up in Portland and get massacred by Nick and the Resistance. I don't want mopey Nick in S5 I want dangerous to the point of scaring the Scoobies and that would make it happen as well as advancing the storyline for both Nick and Renard.

You can tell by the way the EPs talk in interviews they are going to make Adalind and Nick a wil they/won't they couple next season and I think that would be a good plot line as well. In fact, I would love if the reason for the return of Adalinds powers to be at a point where her, nick and their child are so threatened that one moment you see her fear and then you see the hexenbeast forcing it's way to the surface to save them all and Nick seeing this and realizing how much she cares about her new family.

Anyways, I get off on tangents sometimes so I'll just stop and say thank you for your response Smile .

RE: Sympathy For The Devil -- Adalind from the beginning - izzy - 07-09-2015

From a purely pragmatic standpoint I think you can easily build a friends with benefits type of relationship happening between Adalnid and Nick.

Nick now knows he has no right to ever fall in love start a family type of fairytale thing again. He already ruined Juliette's life. So either Nick goes into perpetual one night stand mode, hookers, or he find sa relationship with predefined limits. Hence Adalind Nick could make sense.

Nick is there to protect her and thus his child, there to raise his son, and between them, well a man has his needs, and a vixen like Adalind has hers. They have already trial ran intimacy and appear to have been smiling from the result, so...in terms of pragmatism it is a likely candidate. I just can't imagine he would ever let Renard or Hank know. In male code you take your friends or bosses hand-me-downs. So it would have to be discreet. It would be interesting to watch Adalind trying to take it beyond just the sheets, baking cookies, trying to be affectionate etc.

RE: Sympathy For The Devil -- Adalind from the beginning - wfmyers1207 - 07-10-2015

I have always thought of Adalind as a pawn. All of you have made that point. Still not sure I can feel much sympathy for her though. I mean, anyone can walk away and just say: "To hell with all of that, and all of you!":Angry

In the end, we are each responsible for the things we do. No one had a gun to her head. She cannot claim coercion. If a person wants to be free, they have to except responsibility for their own lives. Period.Undecided

RE: Sympathy For The Devil -- Adalind from the beginning - jsgrimm45 - 07-10-2015

(07-10-2015, 10:25 AM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: I have always thought of Adalind as a pawn. All of you have made that point. Still not sure I can feel much sympathy for her though. I mean, anyone can walk away and just say: "To hell with all of that, and all of you!":Angry

In the end, we are each responsible for the things we do. No one had a gun to her head. She cannot claim coercion. If a person wants to be free, they have to except responsibility for their own lives. Period.Undecided
I agree on the pawn. I look for that to be the one of the biggest changes in the character a lot less pawn, if we keep to chess not sure if she will move up to Queen but a rook at least.

If they keep the new Alalind (good question) I would give her some sympathy two children a risk from the royal families, but would make her work very hard for more from the Scooby's.

tiedyejackaon give us a interesting and a out of the box discussion thread.

RE: Sympathy For The Devil -- Adalind from the beginning - New Guy - 11-23-2015

Hi Grimmsters,
This thread was mentioned today. Forgive me but I wanted to give you all a break to hear some (IMHO) driving rock and roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj6y6tohW_0
The clip is indicated as from 1969 and is possibly from the Altamont concert. Bad scene, but the music was (IMHO) ... great!
New Guy