Grimm Forum
Disappointing Aspects of Season 2 . . . - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Disappointing Aspects of Season 2 . . . (/Thread-Disappointing-Aspects-of-Season-2)

Disappointing Aspects of Season 2 . . . - HellJacket - 05-17-2013

Overall, I've really liked season 2. While most of my favorite episodes are still from season 1, I think season 2 has been more consistent. Nevertheless, there are always things I would have liked done differently. Since only the season finale is left, I feel it's a good time for anyone/everyone to list their complaints or how they would have liked things done differently this season.

1. Nick's Mother - I really liked her character, but was surprised at how small a role she played this season. Even if she comes back in the finale, other than killing Adalind's mother and the Mauvais Dentes early on, she didn't do much. I wonder if the writers changed what they wanted to accomplish this season after the season 1 finale.

2. The Reapers - other than the Mauvais Dentes leaving the reaper symbol in the cargo vessel, they've been a non-presence this season. I guess that makes sense given how Nick dispatched the last two reapers that were sent to take him down, but I would like them to play a larger role in things to come. Or at least have an update every once in a while about what they're doing.

3. No new cool artifacts. One thing I like about this show is it's like Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Antique Roadshow. However, the current cool item tally is: a) the coins of Zakynthos and b) the key. Correct me if I'm missing any.

Feel free to add any others.

RE: Disappointing Aspects of Season 2 . . . - pale boy - 05-21-2013

Quote:1. Nick's Mother - I really liked her character, but was surprised at how small a role she played this season. Even if she comes back in the finale, other than killing Adalind's mother and the Mauvais Dentes early on, she didn't do much. I wonder if the writers changed what they wanted to accomplish this season after the season 1 finale.

Her story was dropped pretty quickly, I agree. I know they made a mention of her dealing with the coins off screen, but that's been it since the last time the audience saw her.

It is a little disappointing since she's the only other Grimm in fighting shape we've seen aside from Nick (his aunt being ill when she was around).

Quote:2. The Reapers - other than the Mauvais Dentes leaving the reaper symbol in the cargo vessel, they've been a non-presence this season. I guess that makes sense given how Nick dispatched the last two reapers that were sent to take him down, but I would like them to play a larger role in things to come. Or at least have an update every once in a while about what they're doing.

It's been so long since we've seen those guys, I forgot they existed until this post. :| That's ... not a good sign. Agreed. They should make a reappearance of some kind. (Maybe when another Grimm does.)

Quote:3. No new cool artifacts. One thing I like about this show is it's like Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Antique Roadshow. However, the current cool item tally is: a) the coins of Zakynthos and b) the key. Correct me if I'm missing any.

I can't remember anything unique, but I do know there are a few regular non-artifact-of-doom type items that have showed up relating to Wesen. There was that Goldilocks inspired episode where the "bears" had an heirloom relating to their culture. There's also the medical/magical devices Rosalee has at the spice shop.

If I had to add anything, I would put in:

-- Lack of other Grimm. We've heard they exist, but outside of Nick's family, they don't show us any of them.

-- Lingering plot threads from Royals/Verrat/Resistance. No word on what the Royals are or their agenda. These plots have been on hold for a while.

-- No true confirmation on what happened with Farley Kolt, ex to Nick's Aunt Marie, the same dude who was after those shiny, shiny coins.

RE: Disappointing Aspects of Season 2 . . . - Lou - 05-21-2013

I like this season even better than the first season. I would give the first season an 8.5. And this season may break 9 - depending on tonight.
My biggest complaint during season one was I kept waiting for Nick to reveal the Grimm stuff to Juliette, and waiting, and waiting. and then she goes into a coma!
During the first half of this season I was very pleased with the speed of the reveals of the season long arcs. Then the second half, the Juliette part of the story seemed to go too slowly for my tastes.
I was pretty happy with the number of the other reveals though out the show.
And all of the things HellJacket listed, plus more, are things we can look forward to (and give us reasons) to watch season 3.

And I was impressed with the writers being able to be flexible and handle the the actress who plays Rosalee having a baby and the actor who plays Hank tearing is achilles. My guess is that the Juliette part of the story had to go on hold till Rosalee got back.

Maybe they had Nick's mom in an episode but they had to shelf it for later.

RE: Disappointing Aspects of Season 2 . . . - HellJacket - 05-21-2013

(05-21-2013, 03:03 AM)pale boy Wrote: -- Lack of other Grimm. We've heard they exist, but outside of Nick's family, they don't show us any of them.
[/font][/size][/color]

I understand why the writers do this. This falls into the category for writers of "you don't want someone around who knows too much" (e.g., someone who knows whether grimms have any special powers or not, and would know how to use them). I don't think they will reveal any other grimm, until they've revealed enough information about grimm in general to the audience. Though, I do believe they're building up to that point. That's probably the reason for the "fake" grimm this season. That let them introduce the concept behind an Endezeichen grimm, without having one appear yet. However, I imagine it won't be long before one does show up.

RE: Disappointing Aspects of Season 2 . . . - GrimmForum - 05-26-2013

I too was surprised how little screen time Kelly had on the show, and was a little disappointed she didn't make an appearance in the finale. Maybe in Season 3, the gang will have to seek out Kelly and get a Grimm on their side to rescue Nick.

Overall, I thought this was a superb season, and like Lou, I liked the second season more than the first. But the one other thing I was disappointed with is how they didn't build upon the episode where Nick got super-hearing. I think too much time's passed, if Nick were to use his super hearing abilities again, it would seem out of place.

RE: Disappointing Aspects of Season 2 . . . - pale boy - 05-27-2013

(05-26-2013, 12:45 AM)GrimmForum Wrote: I too was surprised how little screen time Kelly had on the show, and was a little disappointed she didn't make an appearance in the finale. Maybe in Season 3, the gang will have to seek out Kelly and get a Grimm on their side to rescue Nick.

Overall, I thought this was a superb season, and like Lou, I liked the second season more than the first. But the one other thing I was disappointed with is how they didn't build upon the episode where Nick got super-hearing. I think too much time's passed, if Nick were to use his super hearing abilities again, it would seem out of place.

I'd actually kind of love it if Kelly came back to play the Faith to Nick's Buffy. (aka play the dark Grimm to Nick's not-so-stabby Grimm, for those who aren't fans of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, lol.)

Yeah, that was a disappointment with the super-hearing. I thought that it was going to come back in some way before the season was out, but nope. Just a one-off thing apparently ...

It does open the possibility for a future blind Grimm character though. Big Grin