Grimm Forum
Did it have to be a cop show? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Did it have to be a cop show? (/Thread-Did-it-have-to-be-a-cop-show)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Did it have to be a cop show? - HellJacket - 05-21-2013

(05-21-2013, 12:51 AM)pale boy Wrote: No offense to those three drama type shows I mentioned above, but Grimm is more interesting when it delves into the weirdness.

While true, I think this is also a case where "less is more." These aspects of Grimm are very interesting partly because of how tight-lipped the writers are about the whole mythology and wessen world. Many things are better when they're left primarily to the imagination. It reminds me a lot of the appeal of LOST. In Season 1, the island was full of mystery and a sense of wonder. However, as soon as they started revealing the mysteries, I found the actual explanations on LOST to be severely lacking.

Also, by not revealing too much all at once, the writers can take their time developing their world to make sure everything is logical and makes sense. Unless one of the writers is a genius, saying too much at one time is an easy way to create a story trainwreck.

RE: Did it have to be a cop show? - pale boy - 05-21-2013

(05-21-2013, 04:20 PM)HellJacket Wrote:
(05-21-2013, 12:51 AM)pale boy Wrote: No offense to those three drama type shows I mentioned above, but Grimm is more interesting when it delves into the weirdness.

While true, I think this is also a case where "less is more." These aspects of Grimm are very interesting partly because of how tight-lipped the writers are about the whole mythology and wessen world. Many things are better when they're left primarily to the imagination. It reminds me a lot of the appeal of LOST. In Season 1, the island was full of mystery and a sense of wonder. However, as soon as they started revealing the mysteries, I found the actual explanations on LOST to be severely lacking.

Also, by not revealing too much all at once, the writers can take their time developing their world to make sure everything is logical and makes sense. Unless one of the writers is a genius, saying too much at one time is an easy way to create a story trainwreck.

I get what you're saying. The "air of mystery" there is about the show is one of the best parts of it all. Wouldn't want Grimm to get rid of that!

Delving into full fantasy would ... diminish that effect, to make a total understatement.

In that quoted text above, I meant that I liked the show when it's less "police procedural" (i.e. Nick's day job) and more Wesen procedural(?), lol. When the Grimm gang goes hunting for clues and so on.

RE: Did it have to be a cop show? - aguraakemi - 05-22-2013

(05-21-2013, 09:35 PM)pale boy Wrote:
(05-21-2013, 04:20 PM)HellJacket Wrote:

I get what you're saying. The "air of mystery" there is about the show is one of the best parts of it all. Wouldn't want Grimm to get rid of that!

Delving into full fantasy would ... diminish that effect, to make a total understatement.

In that quoted text above, I meant that I liked the show when it's less "police procedural" (i.e. Nick's day job) and more Wesen procedural(?), lol. When the Grimm gang goes hunting for clues and so on.

Yeah, I think the mystery keeps us hanging onto the show but you know it wasn't half as bad when they gave out answers as well. I like how they pull out those stuff from the Wesen world and explain it to us. Like when Rosalie pulls out one of her medical book full of Wesen stuff and when Nick looks into those old books left by Aunt Marie. Not your typical procedural drama with normal explanations. It's a whole new world entwined with the normal.

RE: Did it have to be a cop show? - HellJacket - 05-30-2013

(05-22-2013, 02:02 AM)aguraakemi Wrote: Like when Rosalie pulls out one of her medical book full of Wesen stuff and when Nick looks into those old books left by Aunt Marie. Not your typical procedural drama with normal explanations.
I can see now why Aunt Marie became a librarian. She likely had plenty of after-hours training in handling old books. So, based on her grimm training, it was either become a librarian or an S&M queen.

RE: Did it have to be a cop show? - GrimminFlorida1 - 05-31-2013

What I like the most about grimm is the weirdness. The show isn't suppose to be natural. Aunt Marie's RV is a perfect idea. I also like how the show adds different wesen books into the show. They have taken their time to add smaller things into the show which is cool.

RE: Did it have to be a cop show? - Elkhound - 02-20-2014

(05-17-2013, 04:16 PM)GrimminFlorida1 Wrote: Most people are against the cop shows but I'm not. I think Nick being a cop works. What other type of job would be better for him? Would the ice cream man or insurance salesman running around chasing bad guys make sense?

Right; the alternative would be to give him a "rich idiot with no day job" persona, like Bruce Wayne or Oliver Queen or Lord Peter Wimsey. Almost any other job besides police detective (well, perhaps private investigator) would conflict with his Grimm responsibilities.

RE: Did it have to be a cop show? - pale boy - 02-21-2014

Maybe someday a Wesen will hit Nick with some sort of magical "roads not taken" mist or potion and show potential futures that the characters on the show did not have, like, say, Nick and Hank as bug exterminators or something. Wink

RE: Did it have to be a cop show? - Rumpelstiltskin - 02-24-2014

The story line would have been vastly different- but I could see Nick being a criminal- learning of his inherited powers and responsibilities and crossing over to the light side- granted the casting and characters would need to be very different in this scenario, but I could buy it

(05-31-2013, 07:57 AM)GrimminFlorida1 Wrote: What I like the most about grimm is the weirdness. The show isn't suppose to be natural. Aunt Marie's RV is a perfect idea. I also like how the show adds different wesen books into the show. They have taken their time to add smaller things into the show which is cool.

This^

Plus- the thing about the show that I love the most is that being normal isn't normal. You almost want everyone to be wesen or at least knowing they exist because when they're not- they're just regular almost boring people living in a world that's wayyyyyy more complicated than they think

RE: Did it have to be a cop show? - pale boy - 02-24-2014

(02-24-2014, 04:30 PM)Rumpelstiltskin Wrote: The story line would have been vastly different- but I could see Nick being a criminal- learning of his inherited powers and responsibilities and crossing over to the light side- granted the casting and characters would need to be very different in this scenario, but I could buy it

I really want to see an alternative universe Grimm episode now. Fantastic idea, Rumpelstiltskin!

RE: Did it have to be a cop show? - grimmfreak - 02-24-2014

I really like that it's a cop show because it makes for good internal conflict, you have the cop side of nick, wanting to do things the cop way and then you have Nick's grimm side and the need to sometimes act outside the law.
In addition you have Monroe wanting to do things his way, you have Rosalee and the council wanting to do things their way and you have Renard and his agenda all conflicting at certain points with Nicks way of doing things.
All in all I think the whole thing makes great drama so, yeah, i think it being a cop show is just what it should have been!